Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tango-Hotel

I have 3 friends in the police. One of those a Sargent. They are all on 2 or 3 holidays a year. Have plenty of family time and always ask me "where do you get the idea that this job takes over your life?" They all enjoy the job and the time off. Maybe they are lucky with the stations they are in and there are loads of colleagues who love OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

It'll be a few more years in payscale for myself for the 2 or 3 holidays a year🤣🤣 but ofcourse this job requires more of you than other jobs. You get detailed OT and there's no saying no. Held back hours after your meant to finish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pcchap

I had to do the same, will see you in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Top rate cons £41,130 plus NITA £3492 (Total £44,622)

Newly promoted Sergeant £43,965 plus NITA £3492 (Total £47,457)

Aye those wages are good and yes we'll all get to the top rate con pay eventually and it's a very gold salary considering you only need 5 GCSEs, even better when you add CRTP after a year.

And all Overtime cane be taken as TOIL instead of cash which is pretty cool.

I love my job, it's the best Job in the world. But this job does take over life.

1. You may have friends that you can't be friends with anymore.

2. You see and hear things that you wouldn't believe. And sometimes it's pretty horrible.

3. There's places you can't go anymore. And for some that's even more pronounced.

4. over time with no notice, ehich you can try and get rid off but if you have certains skills the number of people you can offload that too is small.

5. Being held on over and over and over means you have to bin plans.

6. There's no guarantee you'll get certain important dates off. Family birthdays, anniversaries etc. Which most plan for, and i've been particularly lucky as I get that leave in early but we all have things that just pop up. Point 5 feeds into this.

7. You literally can't do some things anymore

8. Stress of work inadvertantly bleeds into family life and you have to work hard to get that healthy balance.

9. Media constantly battering your profession. We know the reality and can generally ignore the tabloid nonsense but it's still less than ideal.

10. Public sector pay awards have been obliterated for the last 10 years.

I love my job, literally the best decision I made joining the Police but it's not all roses. It comes in peaks and troughs and tbh I work with some amazing people that make the troughs so much easier to get through.

The public perception that we earn tonnes of money and live in amazing houses and drive flash cars isn't the reality for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭lornzeo99

Can anybody tell me what the take home salary is in GV each month? Trying to way up the wage difference with my current job!

• Advertisement

For reference.

NITA isn't taxable or pensionable but is subject to National insurance so circa 12% deduction.

£3492 × 0.88 = £3072.96/12 = £256.08

Is your tax code is applied properly, ehich it won't be as HMRC lag behind job changes.

Taxcode 1257L i.e. tax free allowance £12,570/annum.

Pension deduction 12.44.

Plugging salary into a salary calculator for the student officer salary of £21,441.

Take home pay on that salary £1394.11. (No student loan)

Add in NITA post NI (no student loan)

£1650.19/month

With student Loan (Plan 1 if you are from NI)

Take home pay works out to be about

£1383.11.

With NITA less national insurance and student loan is £233.3/month.

Monthly take home £1616.14/month

But in practice for sone reason it's much lower than this, federation subscription etc.

If there's no break in service you'll keep your pay point in GV

And won't have a probation to serve but the 3 year distrixt commitment will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

Hi all, apologies if this has been previously answered but are they hoping to have our 2020 campaign fully exhausted by March 2023 and then start from the 2021 campaign or could it extend past that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

@RECRUIT2018 are u going to start GV August? Or you still on a waiting list?

• Advertisement

There are people who got August start day with 640- 670 ML. So I think there is not that many left, and even without executive it's very possible that our campaign will be done by March 😬 I hope 🤣

I just wasn't sure if you got offer or not. So we are waiting for a call 🙈🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Starsky1

Hello. Sorry I’m in the 2021 campaign.

does anyone know what classes have been confirmed? Is there a sept/Oct class confirmed?

@Starsky1 as far as I know - August so far, and we are waiting for a call for a next intake

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Starsky1

No problem Byc_more , thanks for letting me know 😀

fingers crossed there will be 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NM2021

August intake, and talk of an intake end of October/start of November

Just wondering do they call off a withheld number? And do they leave a voicemail? Thanks!

Witheld number and they will leave a voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

Hi folks, I’m in the 2021 recruitment process and was wondering where can you slip up or fail on the managed stages, which is the most common one or one that most people fall down on?

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Boneyard2002

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭forumnewbie21

PCA I'd say. If you fail SMT should you really be applying anyway 🤷 as for vetting, that's out of your control now, but again I'd say most applications will have a pretty clear vetting record. PCA is the only thing that's in your control and that you can work towards achieving.

Well, SMT its not just drugs, its medicine also. So yes, people should apply and still can be worried about it 😉

I agree about PCA. It looks easy on YT, but was much harder than it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nsic93

Hello everyone 👋🏽

I passed my medical assessment back in March so I'm also waiting for the call.

Does anyone know how many people have been in recent intakes?

Thanks 😊

@nsic93 where are you on merit list?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭forumnewbie21

True, but they also ask for a list of medication to rule it out. I suppose if the medication is prescribed or needed it's fine! I was surprised at how tough the PCA was, definitely expected it to be easier after watching the YouTube videos 🤣

I thought that was just me 🙈🤣 as I describe myself as fit, after PCA I was dead 🙈 and I knew I have to work much more and much harder to be better prepared to go to GV

Was also dead after the PCA and failed it by 3 seconds the first time. I run at least 3 times a week and at least 5k each time, go to different types of fitness classes and walk, I couldn’t believe I failed as I would consider myself fit. Passed it in 3.36 second time, do not underestimate it, the video does not reflect the course at all

• Advertisement

It wasn't necccesary comment 🤔

You can easily understand what I mean there

Advertisement