Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mailminder only suspends delivery for a short period of time. It will have no effect if an post decide that a parcel needs to be returned due to an incomplete declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭deezell

How short? If they can retain it at all, no reason that they couldn't retain it while electronic label crap is sorted. Charge a fee for longer stays if they want. A gift horse ignored.

mailminder is only for parcels that are being delivered. If an post decide that the declaration is incomplete it will be sent back and therefore never delivered. There is little or no human intervention in the process. If the computer says no it goes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

If you look at it from a slightly dispassionate perspective the fault belongs to the sending company.

Almost 60% of what they sent failed to get through.

You would think they might look at their postage process?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No it doesn't. The fault is with An Post for bringing in a system at least 2 years in advance of everyone else. All postal serves are supposed to be automated by March 2023, as far as I remember, but An Post jumped the gun. This followed on from the utterly stupid decision to drop the clearance from €10 to €3.50 as soon as Brexit hit, rather than waiting to see what the effects would be.

• Advertisement

Bring it on. A private contract to deliver postal services would never be mandated to just dump packets in a return sack. They would implement a suitable system for holding, querying, and release for a fee IF the blame lay with your supplier. If you could show the labels/ electronic data were correct and the error was theirs, they'd just have to release it. The current system let's them hide their operational errors with no accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I ordered something from India a few months ago and it was returned to sender twice. I stupidly believed the reason An Post gave me!

If I want to order something from Japan it'll have to be a courier?

How are people faring with low value orders from Aliexpress? They seem to be set up for VAT and all that, so I risked a small order of €40.

no issue with any orders from aliexpress. they have their side of it sorted out properly. They don't ship directly to ireland, they go via holland or belgium. the customs stuff is sorted out there so it doesn't go through the an post customs process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah this has been my experience of ordering stuff from China in the last few months. Some places that used to offer Ireland ePacket as a shipping option have removed it now. Most will strongly recommend or only offer PostNL as a shipping option so it lands in Netherlands/Belgium first. Ireland ePacket used to be great value and sometimes delivery as quick as 10 days. PostNL takes longer but it's stress free.

I'm not even angry about the whole thing anymore, just resigned to the fact An Post management clearly prioritise profits over customer service, it's crazy for a state owned body to be doing that but not dissimilar to the semi-state DAA really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Coming from the UK, this has been repeating over and over since the 25th June, Im guessing Im screwed?

It's worded as if the postman couldn't get an answer at your door to hand you the packet, no indication that it has documentation problems. The failure to engage with customers to resolve the delivery of international post goes against every historical principle of world postal services. Treating private post like it was some sort of industrial process, with flawed attempts resulting in the particular post being binned to all intents and purposes, like a dented cream egg on a production line. The problem is it's not their property. They shouldn't have the right to act in this manner. Critical Legal documents and medical products are treated with the same contempt as a dodgy boyzone tee shirt. We need legislation on this, asserting the ownership of post regardless of alleged documentary shortcomings (you never get to see the reason for return). Force them to operate an examination of the goods, over a counter preferably, and at a reasonable cost. If no valid problems, no charge. This is a job for the politicos to sort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I sent a padded envelope with a piece of paper with a sketch on it. Value $1/sentimental value only. Sent by international tracked mail from the USA costing $69.95. Took two business days to arrive at Dublin Airport. Guess it is with An Post now to do their worst with it. I am 50% thinking positive (and hoping), and 50% thinking that An Post are going to return it for a bullsh1t reason of Electronic Declaration is incorrect or something

Anyone want to lay bets what will happen?!

They're trying to figure if it is a commercial art commission, then add that value to the 70 bucks postage and send you a bill for 23% of this amount. Even if valueless, it's considered to be 'worth' what it cost to send it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Dunno if you saw my post but tried to get something by ems from Japan just over a month ago and it was sent back.

If you can afford to I just would go courier to save hassle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anything I have bought from the US or UK in the last six months, I have used Addresspal, and the items have always arrived promptly, with no issues. Customs declarations done by addresspal.

If I was in the US sending to IReland, I wolud ask whomever I was sending the item to, to sign up for Addresspal. It just cuts out the stress.

Anything ordered from Japan, has been by courier, usually FedEx.

not sure which part you are questioning but VAT is due on the total value including shipping. Even if they deem the painting to be worth €1 vat will be due on the €70 shipping fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well you were all totally right. Yes, had to pay based on the value of the postage for a sentimental worthless aul thing - only sent by this route so that I could track it and try avoid the dreaded "electronic form not correct" and package return

What is the best option for sending packages in future???!!!!

• Advertisement

From the US it would appear to be address pal, sender pays local postage to a US address, then its forwarded to here. Fees a lot less than the postage you paid, and address pal is part of AnPost, so they won't be returning stuff on their watch. If it has no value, no vat other than on the address pal fee.

Thank you. But am I a bit thick or something. I am just not getting it :(

I should have clarified. I live in the USA. So I have a USA address, so I don't need a virtual address or anything??

Just want to send the odd parcel of a gift to my folks at home without it either getting returned (electronic form something or other) or them (family) have to pay money to release it from hostage.

Any suggestions of what I should do in the future?!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

It's your family here that need to set up an addresspal account.

Any goods entering Ireland from outside the EU are not a "hostage" but must pay appropriate charges.

It's a gift though. A gift purchased by me in USA for someone in Ireland. From reading the info in post #1838 I am thinking a gift should be exempt from any charges???

*sure feels like hostage situation. I am just being honest saying how it feels!

Hmm. Ok reread that post (AGAIN! only the 20th time lol). Starting to get a feel for it a bit more...

Again, see the thread I linked for you. Gifts over a certain value must have appropriate taxes and charges paid.

Starting to get a feel for it a bit more...

😫

MOD; I have split posts away from this thread as they were about Addresspal and delay from China. These have their own separate threads. Please check the forums before posting for existing threads.

New one on me.

Send a small packet to a friend in the US (as I have done many times) attached correct postage and a CN22. The packet weighted 63g in total.

It was returned to me by An Post with the attached letter saying that it required a CN23 and electronic data. They also crossed out my stamps, so they couldn't be reused.

So we can't send now, without "AED" as well?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What about sending items from here to the UK?. I posted an electronic item by standard packet post with the correct customs information on the label to Staffordshire on the tenth of July. It has not yet arrived. The normal estimated delivery period is three working days. Is there any way at all of tracing a package without a tracking number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I sent something with tracking to the UK took 9 days recently, so I imagine standard post is even shower

Advertisement