Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Possibly not but there's no way to know way to be sure that's what the problem was. I've just asked for a refund now, I'll try again in a few months, maybe things will be handled better then

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Nah, he is using a marvellous new technique called logic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod - @Vaccinated antivaxer - Cool it the way you adress other posters on here please. And it is a Boards wide rule - do not suggest, insinuate or ask who another poster works for.,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,080 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And what about the electronically sent info, was that exactly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It isn't a level playing field as it's the smaller sellers & retailers who are most affected by this.

Packages sent via

Amazon UK / USA

and Ebay UK / USA 's Global Shipping Programme

are being delivered without issue

So all my online orders from UK and USA are being made via these channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would packages from amazon and ebay getting through without issue not point to a problem with what the smaller sellers are doing?

It's more a case of a double standard. Amazon UK must have some arrangement with An Post and I don't think those packages go through customs.

Ebay's Global Shipping Programme seems to be outsourced to Pitney Bowes. Those packages do go through Irish customs but clear without issue.

Not sure what the smaller sellers are doing wrong (if anything) but a few negative experiences have put me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭deezell

Apart from Amazon, it's pointless buying from a UK online site, and if you go back in this thread, you'll see AnPost's response to this problem where they declared there was no problem with their partner suppliers, and they advised us to use those on their comprehensive list. Which was five exactly. Amazon, M&S, River Island and some other trivial high st outfits. For these, trust AnPost, for everyone else, you can go Mastercard yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Hmm, I'm waiting for a small bespoke item sent from a private individual in the UK, it was sent on the 7th of April, not a dickybird about it yet. I guess I won't be getting it and its pointless trying to contact an post about it judging by this thread.

You will get it if the seller provided the correct details.

I was missing 11 parcels since last may and they have all turned up in the last couple of weeks only.

Also I have noticed that courier companies in uk are using the 10 digit taric code for items destined to Ireland

The problem with my parcels has been caused by post offices outside eu not using the 10 digit taric code.

Everyone else I have had parcels from is using the 10 digit code.

• Advertisement

Of course, we REALLY need ten digits here, I mean, there are at least ten Billion different items we might import, not the paltry million of the six digit code.

It reminds me of the signal corp spares descriptions in the army stores back in the late 70's. Six or seven columns. E.g; LAMP - ONE - EDISON SCREW- 6 WATTS - 12 VOLTS- SOLDIERS FOR THE USE OF. Something like that. Whoever got the job of going to the shop for the tea and sugar would be told to get TEA. BOX. ONE. LYONS. LABEL, GREEN. SOLDIERS FOR THE USE OF. (or Civilians). None of your auld pansy teabags. Happy days.

Well like or lump it that's the situation and giving out about it won't sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Slightly off-topic, but are there issues with all parcels from the UK, would you encounter similar problems with a gift for a family member posted from the UK or is this just business/retailer items?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

All parcels. Gifts aren't treated differently

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dynomutt

If the family member marks the item as a gift and the total value is under €45 (including postage), there won’t be any custom charges.

They will need to provide a 10 digit TARIC to avoid an automatic return to sender as An Post’s system can’t handle any other length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Noted, thank you. Don't want to be explaining TARIC codes and custom problems to disappointed kids when their gift doesn't arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Same here, no text or email. The package has been returned to the sender.

After buying five items from Ebay US and Ebay UK that were shipped via Ebay's Global Shipping Programme (and delivered without issue), I decided to risk a purchase of a long-time want that was being sent via Royal Mail International Tracked.

No joy - item has failed electronic customs clearance and is on its way back to the UK. Told to email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie for the specific reason why. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My Package was lost, that's the explanation by the sender. They did a refund though, and asked me to replace the order, which I did, and it arrived within a few days. No fees, it was all in the price according to the seller, the vat ect all collected on behalf. So no reason for first package to be held up, it just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Saw a few people had success with ems shipping and said I'd give it a try with my Japan order. I hadn't used it since the first lot got returned in August last year

Post edited by Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy on

• Advertisement

Still at it. That is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Same shite again, back to using couriers for me

I did - 12 days later

"Our records indicate that the item was processed to be returned to sender as the goods were valued at over €1000 on the electronic declaration that we received from the sender and so were required to be shipped under a H1 declaration. You will need to query the electronic data supplied by the sender/sending postal company."

The goods were declared as £100 on the package label so the only conclusion is that Royal Mail may had added a 0 when doing the electronic declaration part.

The package eventually found its way back to England. The seller re-sent it at the end of last week and amended the value slightly downwards. Fingers crossed. If it's rejected again, I'll just get a refund.

Update - delivered today with no VAT charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

I've received a customs charge today, it has a tracking ID number which I think is jersey but the only item I'm waiting for isn't being dispatched from Jersey. Not sure whether to pay or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you sure it came from An Post? genuine an post messages have a tracking number that you can check on the An Post website. If the message contains a link that you have to click on then it is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

I received a letter from an post. It is legit as it is the same as others I have received in the past. It has a tracking ID number UMxxxxxxxxxJE, apparently it doesn't have tracking if it begins with UM!

Edit: Just put in the details on An Post and it is the parcel I'm expecting! Customer service at some companies have not got a clue!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I got the same bullsh1t return about the electronic stuff. It is complete rubbish imo

Well now there will be less returns from An Post because sellers just can't justify the cost and hassle of trying to send to Ireland and just won't send there in the first place....

Irish consumers lose out as can't order items they want.

Disgrace of a situation.

• Advertisement

Just got this leaflet today.

Says on the back you can control your deliveries. I signed up to see. Theres a menu item on the AnPost.com site 'post and parcels' . Its already retrospectively showing my last two deliveries. Theres also menu items for Pause, Redelivery and Redirect. Could these herald a way to stall post that otherwise gets sent back? Who knows.

Advertisement