Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I see we’re getting new legislation for mandatory mask wearing ‘just in case’. Slippery slope once the legislation is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

very slippery slope

the 'just in case' is bs

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

A slippery slope indeed, anything to keep the twitchers happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Just reading that. Sounds very wishy washy. No imminent decision before the govt go off on there summer hols. Legislating for a future unknown? Are we going to see the pressure on hospital beds in the winter used as an excuse for masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This 100%, cover up the fact they havent augmented hospitals

• Advertisement

Scandalous stuff. Why bring it in if you don't intend to use it?

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I wonder if it’s based on this blatant misinformation going around. It affected the lungs moreso on hamsters and mice only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

'I disagree. It’s a job nobody wants.'

Does it still pay €420,000 per annum?

I'll take it.

Do I get a golden parachute severance package if I end up being chased from HSE headquarters by a pitchfork-wielding mob of masked fanatics?

The mooted law really is worrying. They might say they won’t use it straight away but it would then mean that masks could be mandated under law at any time for any reason, not just an emergency situation.

The lobby groups (INMO, INTO, ASTI, WHO) will be frothing at the thought of being able to long term influence public policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ok take it so. Give us your action plan there while you’re at it ;-) The pitchfork by the masks crowd are the least of your concerns - they want you to close hospitals off at the sniff of a few Covid cases and cancel vital tests and procedures, even if 50% are asymptomatic and don’t even know they have it. You’ll have to learn how to play with numbers to make them sound good, cover up health disasters such as missed diagnoses, waiting lists, no space in hospitals to carry out basic care, pretend hospitals are fully staffed & that the HSE is capable of recruiting and retaining nurses and doctors. Also paying out millions settling cases taken to court for all the poor care & practices that’s actually going on in hospitals. Your wing men are Stephen Donnelly, CMO and Robert Watt (they’re totally trustworthy to reform our health service, pinky promise). Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Fully agree, it’s almost a threat that it’s there to bring everything back at a whim of the Covid extremists. I’m completely done with this BS.

Some of us said back in May 2020 that these restrictions could end up permanent and we were ridiculed and directed to the conspiracy theory forum.

Here we are 2 years later drafting legislation that will allow them to bring in mandatory masks whenever they feel like it.

Of course it's only precautionary. Until winter that is. HSE and teachers etc will moan and a week later the masks will be back. Not that they'll actually achieve anything in terms of COVID.

Then we'll have the nut jobs pushing for further legislation to close down other areas of society whenever it's deemed desirable.

Have sent off a mail to local TDs today and told them that this legislation will ensure they won't be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You don't seem to understand the concept of 'permanent' so maybe the conspiracy theory forum is the right place for this deliberate disingenuousness.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

"Minister for Finance Paschal Donohoe has said that legislation will be considered by the Cabinet around when a mask mandate might be needed.

He said people in Ireland have seen the effectiveness of mask wearing in tackling the rise of Covid-19."

How about instead he f**ks right off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The proposed mask mandate is nothing more than political grandstanding at this stage, to appease the likes of the INMO, HSE, etc. These people seem to think that the mask is some sort of panacea, when the statistics have shown us that case numbers will rise and fall regardless of masks.

Look at last winter for example, when case numbers, hospital numbers and icu numbers were orders of magnitude greater than they are now - we had no mandate then and, guess what, cases fell anyway and we moved on with our lives. Why isn't this fact put to the likes of Donnelly and Donohoe (why is he even commenting on this issue anyway) instead of the media simply cheering them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Masks are worn most effectively in hospitals (ie proper masks, not taken off) and hygiene is impeccable compared to the general public. Yet there were outbreak after outbreak in hospitals. To try to paint the mask wearing as some sort of effective tool is quite simply ignorant to reality. The virus is just too transmissible and the mask is a symbolic gesture more than it is a successful containment tool.

If we bring in laws with no end date what you call that?

Would you call it a temporary law?

You're talking about masks as a protective PPP to the wearer. There's lots of evidence for masks as barriers at reducing transmission from infected people - on the masks thread, certainly for the earlier variants under which it was studied. Omicron may have changed that somewhat but that doesn't invalidate the principle that they can have a role to play in limiting the spread of respiratory viruses and we don't know what variants may emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ireland 'in middle' of another wave of Covid-19 (rte.ie)

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has asked NIAC to examine if a fourth vaccine should be administered to people aged under 65 years later this year.

The minister said the National Immunisation Advisory Committee has so far not signalled its views either way on this question.

He pointed out that there is not yet a common approach internationally to this issue. However, the minister said he feels it is the right time to examine the issue given that Government is now drawing up plans for autumn.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think the writing was on the wall for boosters for everyone come autumn/winter. I was expecting that for sometime.

• Advertisement

It's not permanent in the sense you meant it, and you know it.

Let's say we have a law on the books permitting curfew or war powers in certain circumstances, should the government activate it.

Does that mean we permanently have curfew? Nope.

Does that mean we are permanently under martial law? Nope.

Are we permanently obliged to wear masks? Nope.

That was the original sense you meant it.

Dont try to tell me what I meant.

The threat of restrictions will be permanent with this legislation. And you must be mad of you honestly don't believe the government aren't bringing this in so they can introduce it this winter. And then probably next.

And where does it end? When we realise that masks do nothing surely we'll be pushing for more then.

"Don't try to tell me what I meant" - of course I will. Words have meaning even when you try to twist them and abuse them in the service of a falsehood.

Oh so now it's the "threat" of restrictions that's permanent. Pretty obvious what you meant, pretty obvious you are now shifting the goalposts in a deliberate attempt to deceive.

Go on, find us the post from 2 years ago where you said your concerns about masks being permanent were not about actually having to wear a mask, about mask mandate being in force but merely that there were on the statute books as a public health power when deemed necessary.

2 years ago many of us said that these restrictions could be very hard to get rid of and could become a permanent feature in our lives.

Yesterday we heard that legislation is on the way so the government can implement mandatory masks as they please.

Some of us even specified "every winter".

We are a lot closer to that reality now than ever before. And where does it end?

Open your eyes

How it is a permanent feature, if it merely exists as an (not in force) power on the statute books?

It isn't, either you don't understand the meaning of the word permanent, or you do and are being deliberately disingenuous if not engaged in outright deception.

Your attempts to derail this thread are pathetic but not surprising. You do the same gig on several threads.

In reality, the government will now have power to implement mask mandates whenever they see fit.

Most of us are appauled by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

We need masks

Flatten the curve

2 week circuit breaker

Protect the HSE

Derail the thread? For calling out a poster on deliberate twisting of the meaning of the word 'permanent'?

It's obvious you have no come back to:

How it is a permanent feature, if it merely exists as an (not in force) power on the statute books?

It isn't, either you don't understand the meaning of the word permanent, or you do and are being deliberately disingenuous if not engaged in outright deception.

If you don't want to derail this thread with conspiracy theory nonsense about permanent masks you'll find the solution in your original post.

Read my original post. I said could. We are a step closer now.

But anyways, that's just derailing the thread. How about you answer a simple question.

Do you support this legislation? It's a simple yes or no answer.

Careful though, if you answer yes that will be confirmation that you are not simply content to wear your own mask, but you would support enforcing them on others.

So, Yes or No?

• Advertisement

Oh look more shifting of the goalposts. Poster caught out in a lie doesn't want thread derailed by being called out on it.

This is what you wrote:

Some of us said back in May 2020 that these restrictions could end up permanent and we were ridiculed and directed to the conspiracy theory forum.

Drop the ridiculous nonsense about permanent masks, it's not permanent in the sense you meant it and you know it so if you want to discuss permanent masks you already know where to do so.

If you want to discuss the actual contents of this new measure, I'm happy to give my opinion - on the masks thread.

Advertisement