Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Sindo has on its front page that Donnelly hasn’t ruled out a return to mandatory mask wearing.

So yeah, looks like there’s a good chance that we’re going back there; the bed wetting experts will win out, and we’ll be stuck with masks for a long, long time. Because Covid isn’t going away, despite what some pro-restrictioners think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wouldn't exactly be reading much into the headline without seeing the articles content. Donnelly basically said the same thing on rte the other day, said the advice is as stands it's recommended, if it changed he'd have to consider it. Fairly standard politicians answer tbh, I'd imagine he's probably said the same in this article. Which is basically what was also said a few months ago when we'd a bit of an uptick as well.

If they didn't win out a few months ago when the uptick was higher, I'd highly doubt they'll win out now, people need to chill a little and get on with life.

Look, I agree with you as such and I very much hope you are and want you to be right. I know this happened once before and thankfully we held out. But it seems like it’s a very concerted effort from the INMO and other Covid interest groups to affect policy and human rights. A stop needs to be put to it really; they can’t be crying for masks, and expecting to influence government policy when the Covid cases go up 3 or 4 times a year for the next decade.

Last time, both government and NPHET members, to their credit, came out and gave a firm no to masks, early on. This needs to happen again, not giving Phil Ní Shea and co extra ammunition by saying we can’t rule it out.

Otherwise, we need another major news story to knock it back to the margins. At the moment there’s a lull in the major stories, Ukraine, cost of living. Nothing is necessarily moving along at either, hence the vacuum which is being taken advantage of by subversive ‘experts’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Thoughts and prayers. All those sniffles returning to staff, the horror!

We had a successful vaccine campaign and have had weaker variants this year, which are still dominant. It's over still despite your ignorant posts.

The likes of the IMNO will do what unions do, try and shout the loudest. The NBRU were at it as well a few months back, have to be seen to try and make the union fees worth it.

Just as an aside see as I've not really posted here in a while what I've noticed in the last few weeks is there's still a handful of people who've covid tunnel vision, as in its the only thing out there (while the majority get on with life), nothing else is doing the rounds, got a sniffle, its Covid.

Had some random women on the bus there last week double masked (wear 1 or 2 I don't really care, your choice do what you want) suggest I take a Covid test because I kept sniffling and reaching for the tissues when I was sneezing, she was promptly told to basically mind her own business and that my hayfever was kicking off again. "Oh are you sure that's all it is" ..... yes I've had it every summer for years I think I know when I've got hayfever, now mind your own business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Like NPHET, this thread should have been closed down long ago.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

It’s to deflect some attention away from the huge cost of living protest held yesterday.

The justification for restrictions is gone and bar an act of God it won't be coming back.

We can see what the current wave entails by looking at other countries. Cases in Portugal are falling rapidly. The UK will probably peak in the next few days.

Cases will probably rise here for another ~2 weeks then go down again. The sky won't fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, it’s a bit disturbing to see some doctors and scientists still looking for masks to be enforced. Letting their professions down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There's nothing ignorant about my posts. The irony of it.....

Sniffles is irrelevant. As long as it's potentially Covid, workers are being advised to stay out of the workplace and it is affecting workflow. Regardless of your delusions. If numbers keep going up, that gets worse.

I'm not vaccinated. I have no fear of Covid. But I do fear it's effect on weaker people. I imagine you are, so who's afraid of the sniffles now Amadán?

• Advertisement

As suspected an absolutely nothing article which is behind a pay wall. Nothing he didn't say last week on RTE.

"Although the return of public health restrictions is not under consideration by public health officials, Minister Donnelly did not rule out the reintroduction of the mask mandate, which was dropped at the end of February.

Mr Donnelly told the Sunday Independent: 'Is it possible that I could get a recommendation for public transport or for retail [that], yes, we do recommend now that we move to mandatory mask-wearing for a short period of time? You couldn't rule that out.' "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭amandstu

I am wondering whether the easing of restrictions has provided a greater(or fresher) insight as to how the virus spreads.

Different initial conditions should give different outcomes and so I wonder whether the present almost non-existent conditions of the restrictions regime have given new insights as to how this thing spreads most effectively.

I was in hospital recently on an unrelated issue and had to wait in a corridor for several hours with fellow patients who were not really wearing masks(the staff all were) but picked nothing up .

Mind you ,as all general anesthetics involve intubation ,which I was completely unaware of,I awoke the following morning with a sore throat- mildly alarmed until found out the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can you just imagine the amount of plastic they use for testing? The world is truly f*ucked.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

You have never had aangover. I think you’ll find it’s a minor inconvenience and discomfort. If you are suffering as you describe, you better check with your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve picked it up now. Day 4. First time. All 4 of us have (inc the two kids.) It’s a bad headache along with a few bone aches and pains. I’ve suffered worse from little colds as there’s less of a runny nose and skin irritation of the nostrils. Partner and I are mid 40’s. Both slight discomfort but totally manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

True and it will never go away just like the more serious illnesses like heart disease, strokes and cancers and all the other viruses out there, but life goes on .

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Luke O'Neill stated on Pat Kenny that being boosted & also catching Omnicron was the ultimate vacination.

So, as a mad idea, why wouldn't we be out promoting gathering & sharing the virus, at least amongst the healthy population.

That’s what we have all been doing the last 6 months 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭US3

So Like is saying getting the virus is the best protection from the virus 😂

• Advertisement

Watch out people. Dr Henry is “very concerned “ of the 600 odd in hospital today despite us surviving 1600 months back. They must like to be heard.

Going by other countries that had a BA.4/5 wave I doubt hospitals will reach 1600 this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is he actually concerned or was that an answer to a question asking whether he was concerned?

From RTE :

“The Chief Clinical Officer of the HSE has said he is "very concerned" about the rise in the number of people in hospital, with or because of Covid-19.”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see, that's what you get when he shows up to Claire Byrne with Sunday's figures and few discharges!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Unfortunately infection with Omicron does not confer immunity from other variants, a lot of studies have shown. Unlike the previous strains.

People are getting it again and again.

Don't know what Luke O'Neill was talking about there but in fairness I don't listen to RTE radio as a rule.

Maybe he qualified it somehow, or someone took him up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jackboy

It could confer immunity from future variants which will likely evolve from Omicron. Not that he said that, but it could be useful.

i can’t understand why people continually don’t get it. It’s been spelt out long enough. Yes people can get reinfected but if you have had the virus or/and vaccination you still have significant protection against serious illness. I would say that is what Luke meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hmmm.. You'd want to believe him I get that, but as I said it is at odds with any of the research unless he meant something else?

Simplified version of a very very large study here..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/14/people-who-caught-covid-in-first-wave-get-no-immune-boost-from-omicron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mollser

The media constantly highlights that you can get reinfected, and of course that's right. But in the real world, my own fairly wide anecdotal evidence is this wave is primarily catching all the hold outs from the previous waves( I am one, first time for me! ) but very few are reinfections. Did know quite a few who hadn't already had it, think they're all caught now.

So yes reinfection is absolutely possible but it's really not the majority of cases.

Like an oul 5 day hangover for me, enjoyed my few days of r&r but back to reality tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Once again I’m talking about protection from serious illness not about getting infected repeatedly. I know that happens.

Advertisement