Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Day 3 Episode 3

Bring it on! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭corkie

@blade1 Just so you know there is episode threads in Trek Forum , if you want to discuss the episodes.

Episode 3 here: -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058246232/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-1x03-ghosts-of-illyria-spoilers-within-st

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cheers corkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Two episodes left, and unless they make a complete balls of them I'd happily put this down as probably the best first season of a Trek show to date. Even the weaker episodes are only weak in comparison to the rest, and far above and beyond any of the other live action trek episodes in this group of shows. Not a high bar to clear, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,984 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The only way I see this going wrong now is

2 episodes of nothing but lasers and Sybok to come in and wipe his arss all over everything we know about him and Spock and everyone else.If they go full Disco Sybok will be Bones's son and Scotty's lover. Also a hologram Burnham will save the day using the power of love (not the song)

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At first I was going to go "don't be daft, what about ..." but yeah, Trek series' first seasons have been generally terrible. TOS maybe? Given it's season 3 that's considered the bad run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah. TOS or maybe Lower Decks would come close. TNG is pretty awful in season 1, DS9 is better (could be favouritism though), but really it wasn't until season 3 it got going, Voyager, nope, too much Kazon nonsense, Enterprise has it's moments, but almost none in season 1! As for the following shows....To be fair to the newer shows though, once they went all in from the start with the entire season long storylines they were kind of buggered. If they had good, thought out plots it may have worked. But they didnt, so the overall season taints (at least for me) any possible good episodes there.

I absolutely hated DS9 s1 at the time bit looking back I see it differently. The wormhole monster of the week stuff is poor but they were really building something amazing with Bajor. It's a pity that it took so long to build on Sisco, Dax and Kira who were exceptional standouts from day one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 7, and yeah, still good. Said it before but the easy chemistry between everyone on the main cast has been quite a small feat of casting. Pike and Number 1 have a fantastic rapport, while Chapels relationship with Spock has been handled deftly. Everyone else just gels quite nicely, no matter the combo. It's impressive work; it took a while before other shows like DS9 (for instance) realised Bashir and Miles worked well together.

The story itself was fine; not mad gone on what read like a returning villain, but that's just personal taste. In general I wouldn't be a fan of those vamp, ostentatious style performances anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

Is that a threat of more crazy acting, or a promise of good cast chemistry? I can't tell 🤓

I did see the trailer and it looks like another of the kind of episode you'd get in Trek from time to time. You'd not see the like in Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I mean like.. if you want to and at your own convenience 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Comer1

What refresh rate do people watch this program at? I have tried 60hz, 59hz, 50hz, 24hz and 23.976hz. The best I find is 23.976hz and while I find it's the only refresh rate that plays smoothly, it still has frequent dropped frames or skips. I'm really enjoying Strange New Worlds but this is really distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Whatever rate the streaming service has it at :)

It always seems fine to me.

Just did a bit more checking and it seems to be 24fps

It's still showing the dropped frames even at 24hz, but it's very subtle. I thought that on most streaming devices, or however people are watching this show, you need to set the frame rate manually. The only device that I have that automatically switches frame rate accurately is my Samsung UHD player and it doesn't support Paramount plus.

Never outside of games have I ever heard of someone adjusting the frame rate for tv shows

Really? The Crown is at 50fps and Strange Things is at 23.976fps, both on Netflix. If you don't change the refresh rate between watching the two programs, you are going to have to have a stuttering mess on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

I've never manually adjusted the framerate for streaming TV and I can't say I've noticed any non connection related frame issues.

• Advertisement

What are you watching on? TV's are for the norm 60 (or 120), anything else you just set it the best for the monitor you are using which outside of games would again be 60

Dropped frames is probably the result of something else

I'm watching on a Plasma TV and a 4K projector from the following sources, Samsung UHD player, Nvidia Shield or a HCPC using MPC player. 60hz gives constant micro judder on pans due to 3:2 pulldown but no skips/dropped frames. 24hz gives smooth playback but with a skip/dropped frame every few minutes or so. I've not come across this on any other TV program once I've matched the projector's refresh rate to the frame rate if the program. It's very strange.

Best to post it in the relevant category than taking this off topic - but the Shield is probably the cause if running off that

Because I have only ever come across this on the program SNW, and it's happening from three different source devices and two different displays, I thought I'd put it here to see if anyone else had experienced it. But you are correct, I probably won't get an answer here so should let the thread back on track.

It is great Trek thought 👍🖖🏻

Post edited by Comer1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just started watching this and its pretty enjoyable. Only seen three episodes so far. First two felt rushed tbh, like a decent chunk of content got cut to squeeze it down to the required time limit.

I love the uniforms, the bulk simply primary colours in a modern cut fit so well. Its also nice to have some differing accents, especially the likes of M'benga, to stand out.

I know the ship is a re-imagining of the original but it looks far more refit than TOS style with the bulkier hull, swept pylons etc. Its really nice but a little jarring considering its pre TOS enterprise.

Enterprise SNW v Enterprise TOS

(2022) Star Trek: Strange New Worlds intro vs (2020) TOS Enterprise Fly-by montage.

Don't know how accurate the renders are in the above videos? 2020 TOS!? What show/movie is that from?

I like the new one except for the horrible Star Trek Online dark lines drawn all over it.

Neither are a patch on the refit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Refit is definitely my favourite. But I do think they did a great job keeping it authentic and TOS feel while making it for modern times.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

But I do think they did a great job keeping it authentic and TOS feel while making it for modern times.

Exactly this.

I've watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good so far. The harshest criticism I have of it so far is Pike said "comm" instead of "conn" in the first episode. Somtimes I think the crew are a little too familiar or informal but then I remeber unlike most other series episode one isn't them coming together it's more like jumping into season three and most of them have known each other for a while.

• Advertisement

Does Pike have his own saddle like Picard in Starship Mine (episode).

Or was that, just a gag used by Picard to get out of the meeting?

The short line everybody quotes is actually spoken by Dr. Crusher: “Anyone who is an experienced rider naturally has his own saddle.” Picard has a longer exchange in the same episode with Geordi and Deanna, in which he says, “Yes, a saddle is a, a very… personal… thing. It has to be, er… broken in, used, cared for.” A little later he adds that “most serious riders do have their own saddles.” ~~ Link

Advertisement