Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

I really don't like the sound of "Star Trek: Legacy". I'd be happy with a (good) show set in post-TNG era but not one that's overly concerned with legacy characters, their children, and the cameo of the week. To actually even go so far as to suggest calling it "Star Trek: Legacy" has me worried from the outset.

And a Star Trek: Phase 2.... eh, similarly sounds like a lack of ideas.

To be honest before SNW I'd have been dead set against it but on the strength of that show, at the moment I think I might be happy enough if they just roll on into the TOS years and have at it. Remake a few episodes, do some new stuff. Of the three ideas on the table here, I'd choose that one.

Although only for a lack of any better suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well "Phase II" was just renamed the equally stupid sounding The Next Generation and given a few tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

Which is kinda why I think it's a silly idea now. Not concerned about the name really, it's the idea of doing something in that sliver of time between TOS and TMP, or between TMP and TWOK. Just sounds like fan service nonsense and as you said, we basically got what Phase 2 stories they had planned in TNG seasons 1 and 2 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

If they can't continue forward from Picard, for whatever reason, setting another prequel during the 70ish years between VI (or the opening of Generations) and the start of TNG would be better for how much leeway they can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes that would be the perfect time to set it may on a Constellation class ship like the Stargazer or even a Miranda class ship or even the Enterprise B or C or better yet set it on the Enterprise B first and then on the Enterprise C.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Or give us the bloody Excelsior series they were promising decades ago

Nah I'm sick of legacy ships and characters.

New ship, new crew.

That was a George Takei April fools' joke wasn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a shame George Takei is just the wrong side of old that the Excelsior chatter can't properly happen and take off. Wonder if any other legacy Sequels might be ln the mix with Picard pulling it out of the bag at the last minute

• Advertisement

It's a pity we can't get the second coming of The Sisko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, we could if they recast. Having ascended to whatever passes for godhood in the Trek world, no reason a DS9 follow-up would have to seek out Avery Brooks, just recast and have him declare some waffle about not wanting people to assume he was still The Sisko.

What stories you could tell with a DS9 legacy sequel in the first place? I dunno. Suppose what the ROmulan Star Empire's collapse might mean for Bajor & Cardassia would be interesting ...

That's the thing the only really interesting DS9 continuation is the return of The Sisko and it wouldn't be the same without Brooks munching the scenery.

Ide be very interested to see how Cardassia, Bajor and the former Dominion are doing.

All sorts of questions like what happened the Jem Hadar to be explored. I wouldn't want a whole based around this and around legacy characters but it could be touched on with an SNW style show.

It's an awful pity PIC wasted the Changeling plot just to do a big "taadaa" ending with the Borg.

For the 1,246,313th time this is why an anthology series would be great. An episode or two parter to answer things like this without needing to build a whole series around the premise.

I always thought it might be interesting if Odo didn't manage to reform the Founders and the Gamma side Dominion was still its old self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Set design would make a 2 parter prohibitively too expensive I would guess

• Advertisement

Ya we already saw really bad reuse of Discovery assets in PIC and PIC used the same corridor of the ship and same corner of Blade Runner planet over and over.

They've already got a decent amounts of sets and if they could redress them as well as in the 90s you might not even realise which set it it's based on. The go to example for this is the corridor sets on Voyager are modified TMP Enterprise corridor sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like when the Enterprise - A suddenly looked exactly like the D interior in ST:III or when they were clearly in the D conference room in VI 😜

Some of it was very blatant.

It can be done in a new show but the current production team show no signs of being capable of doing it.

You have it backwards, D is OG movie Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭corkie

Above site has a good list of reused sets.

And for props lets not forget ~ The Most Important Device in the Universe ~

Ya I am wrong about III that was a set later reused for the D. It's the later movies that swap a lot of sets with little redress.

That was more an issue of the sets for the D still being in use for TNG so not much could be changed. Voyager also got a lot of use out of the Defiant bridge as various alien bridges once DS9 was over.

Just finished Episode 8 and to be honest the one aspect of this show I've just not bought into has been the soundtrack. Just something is "off" about it. The voiceover intro is ace, for sure, but the actual theme I've warmed to at all. And with Season 3 of Picard reminding us what a thumping track that Jerry Goldsmith theme tune was, SNW's own just falls a little too flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Strong disagree. The glow of the impulse engines, the strings as Pike says "these are the voyages of the Star Ship Enterprise" followed by the warp nacelles glowing up to the sound of horns, gives me goosebumps every time. Chromecast doesn't let me skip intro but I wouldn't on this one.

Regarding sets. Ever notice how Sick Bay in First Contact looks like Voyagers Sick bay?

Oh and the courtroom in episode 2 of SNW is a redress of Star Fleet command in DIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I enjoy the SNW intro a lot too.

First Contact sick bay is the Voyager sick bay btw.

I think you misunderstood: the visual are striking and had said the Pike intro is great - the FX are definitely top tier - just the actual score though, audio only, doesn't work in isolation like those old scores stirred.

I think some of it is down to spending half it's time trying to reference other themes like a lot of the newer songs.

The only one that has instant recognition for me is Lower Decks and even that doesn't come close to something like DS9, First Contact or

Enterprise 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Season 2 down. Absolutely solid finale. Just a pity it's tarnished by what happened to Star Trek Prodigy. Hopefully that will get sorted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

By using canon character SNW limits itself. We all know the spock /chapel romance is doomed to fail.

Unless they decide to go in an alternative universe direction which I wouldn't mind at all.

Why we can't move trek forward is beyond me. Picard did it briefly

They say a new series with 7 of 9 but if they go for those dark sets I'm not watching.

She is not a great actor Jerri Ryan either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would prefer an alternative universe route as Anson Mount is such a better actor then the kid they have playing Kirk.

It just annoyed me the episode with the person from the future telling characters what their future was like it was all a joke.

If they move it forward with 7 it's not really moving forward at all because we are still stuck with baggage from these legacy characters.

Also I don't want to watch a show with that shtty Enterprise G.

Have to disagree about Jeri Ryan though.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Anyway despite it's story limits it's still a refreshing blast after the disappointment that was Discovery. Though I liked the first two seasons.

Picard did vastly improve in its last season but it's dark sets were a turn off. They must have spent the budget on salaries.

A series with 7 would be moving forward in time. Every character has a past.

But im sick to death of the Borg.

Welp. My wife and I managed 10 minutes of the musical episode before we stopped. Didn't even finish the first song. Couldn't do it, I just cannot stand live action musicals of that ilk and a whole hour of Glee Club? No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe was asked before, and I know they're not all completely human but all appear human, but is this the most human crew since TOS?

Ms

Also I don't want to watch a show with that shtty Enterprise G.

Yes I agree. A terrible ship for the Enterprise G. There was nicer ships they could have used.

This kne below would have been better even,

I would prefer that as the Enterprise G compared to what is supposed to be the G.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's not just the look.

They "refitted" the Titan to the point it looked nothing like the old one but somehow looked 23rd century.

They refit so much they need to call it "A" which is not how that works and reclassified it as Constitution mk.III because everything in the 25th century has to be a memberberry.

And then p1ss all over the Titan legacy to name it Enterprise. All just after decommissioning a shiny new Enterprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭corkie

We have 3 alien crew members, but yes they do look human.

Vulcan, Illyrian and Lanthanite

Outside of DS9 2 to 3 nonhuman msin cast seems to be standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought it was a whole new ship rather than a refit. The only time I'm aware of a refit getting a -A designation was Discovery in the 32nd century.

Ms

Yes very annoying and yes it was very badly thought out. One of the few bad things in Season 3 of Picard but even with tgat it was still far better than both season 2 and season 1 and is the only season of Picard I would watch again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The Picard writers have no idea what refit means, the new Stargazer was also called a refit of Picard's one.

Ya it was a new ship and a refit at the same time.

Couldn't understand why they didn't use it for PIC 3 instead of the Titan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So with season 2 done, I think it was a good season but not a great one, like season 1 was. It was tonally all over the place, with some whiplash inducing swings from the Lower Decks crossover, to PTSD filled M'Benga murdering people, then back to some of the dafter moments of all Trek with a musical. And while I disagreed with the fundamental concept of the musical episode, I recognise it's a one-off thing and won't hold it against the season overall. There's some good trends in there, particularly the pattern of constantly advancing the secondary threads, no matter what the larger episode plot was. The overall season arc being the Gorn was a bit of a non-starter though, setup as the big bad in episode 1, only to vanish for 8 episodes, then re-appear with a cliff hanger. Still a good season overall, just a bit all over the place.

Ya would agree with most of this.

3 hijinks episodes was a bit too many for me and the musical and T'Pring episodes bored me to tears. And add in the time travel episode and that's 3 out of 10 I will never bother watching again.

Just felt like last season had a lot more classic sci-fi episodes and more "strange new worlds"

• Advertisement

But it can't be both. A refit is an upgrade of an existing ship. The "refits" in Picard are both new classes too which can't happen outside of the refit of one class becoming the lead ship in a new class. The real world Kitty Hawk to Enterprise class aircraft carriers is a good example even though the Enterprise class ended up being just one ship.

Oh I know. I was agreeing that is was both somehow in Picard which is wrong.

Nu-Trek's Ship Design has left a lot to be desired really, and TBH bar the CrossFit Class haven't liked any of the new designs. I believe they take a lot of "inspiration" from Star Trek Online whose own bevvy of ships have looked like shít.

Give me Miranda or give me death.

Ya Star Trek Online has a big influence on them and their 24/25th century stuff is awful overly fussy crap. Very very few of the recent ship designs for TV are new and mostly are the writers trying to canonize some obscure extended universe ship like the E-F.

The Crossfield was a concept design for the Motion Picture Enterprise refit.

Speaking of Miranda which was the best design era. Came across some interesting stuff recently where people have resigned ships for different eras.

TMP Akira

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Strikes aside, I wonder what the plan for Season 3 of SNW was?

It's been over a year since Season 2 wrapped production and was mostly filmed before Season 1 even aired. Did they plan a year off production?

In general, I remember hearing about actors complaining that they were left hanging between seasons on streaming shows, whereas on broadcast tv, they would work in a fixed cycle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement