Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

Bruce Horak as Hemmer ????

Didn't know you could link to a result with Bard, thanks for that!

Above is an example from another AI (only used GPT3.5 for it).

Post edited by corkie on

The writers are right to strike, around the use of AI, but don't think that they need worry for the next year or five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,204 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are wise to do now then while they have leverage.

Though I still havent quite forgiven the 1980s writer strike for messing up early TNG. Not that they are waiting ....

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That was kinda reasonable alright ... but yeah, no sign of Riker, Troi or Data ... 🙄

That was pretty detailed and was quite close to some other very similar stories that are out there.

The easter eggs though ... they were a fine work of fiction ... 👀

I thought ChatGPT 3.5 was only "aware" up until sometime in 2021. SNW wasn't even aired then, but i suppose it's concept was already out there.

• Advertisement

@ItHurtsWhenIP

That AI I linked was not chatgpt, but a version that has access to the web.

I only used there GPT 3.5, but could used limited goes at GPT 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As said it's canny of them to get ahead of it now, while they still have power and studios haven't pulled the rug completely from them. And if a republican gets the white House in 2024 that's 4 years lost to a traditionally party more likely to learn corporate than union friendly. It was kinda now or never, the speed AI is developing.

I daresay this isn't entirely prescient strategy either, and there were an increasing number of incidents of sneaky script drafts and experiments that got back to the unions, who rightly said "fúck that" when they realised what the studios were up to.

Selfishly I'm glad Season 2 got to be finished before the strike cos I'm enjoying this season greatly; a nice weekly slice of adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't really think the writers win this AI battle. Historically if a machine can replace you it will eventually. That's not an excuse for some of the studios' practices either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

On this.

It's been a grand season, nothing groundbreaking, etc

But, its re-watchable, like all good Trek should be. I've rewatched TNG, DS9, etc countless times. And this fits. Stand alone episodes that you easily sit down and watch again in the future. I've yet to rewatch Discovery.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it's in writing, sure they can because the writers and actors unions still have a lot of control and sway.

The problem might be studios, because the obvious and immediate recourse if they wanna shoot an AI script is to ... simply go to a country where the local union doesn't care or account for that. I suspect this won't be the last Strike we hear about.

Agreed; I could see myself rewatching some episodes 'cos they have a happy mix between character development and standalone adventure. With some genuinely neat-o twists on classic Trek story types.

That's sort of what I meant. The union can mandate all they want but if AI is putting out adequate scripts the writing's on the wall for writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think there was issues around using AI to generate likenesses of actors as well? We've seen a bit of dead actors appearing posthumously through deepfakes recently. I saw David Yost (the original Blue power ranger) posted recently on Twitter that David Fielding was paid an absolute pittance for a couple of hours filming Zordan for Power Rangers and then that footage was re-used for several seasons afterwards with Fielding not being compensated. Deepfakes advancement will probably lead to far more of that carry-on if not nipped in the bud. The only way to put a stop to that shenanigans is for actors to group together and refuse to agree to such terms in their contracts.

That's a separate issue but one that's easier to address with likeness rights and such. Although I could see SAG and such striking when 100% AI generated actors become more prevalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sure wasn't Enterprise navigated by an AI and wasn't Voyager's Chief Medical Officer an AI?

Data was the operations officer not the navigator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Clip for the crossover episode, looks fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Of the many tropes and facets Strange New Worlds remembered about Trek, I respect they also noted Trek had no problems or qualms about an open comedy episode. Now; the comedy itself wasn't always very funny, or good, but it was always a fun diversion or change of pace.

Might still take a moment to get used to the live-action versions of these characters not speaking at a million MPH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This

I just rewatched season 1 and it really stands up

• Advertisement

So apparently episode 7, the Lowe Decks one, has been released a week early as a surprise; great now I'm 2 episodes behind lol </first-world-problems>

For those concerned about the "musical" episode, I'm (more than) old enough to remember:

Which was pretty freaking good.

After the rather excellent crossover episode, I'm feeling hopeful. 🤞

One more thing to blame Joss Whedon for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol. No. None of that show was good unless you like vampires which does nothing for me so no thanks.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The only good musicals are musical that rip the píss outta how stupid musicals are. Seems like every second genre show likes to dabble with a musical episode and I'm, just, ... no. I don't care if it makes me a Grinch, I can't be the only one.

Well we had that "fairy-tale" episode last year so it fits within the tone of the show. Christina Chong is busy trying to establish herself as a musician at the moment, Jess Bush has dabbled as far as I'm aware and Melissa Navia's late Irish partner (for whom the Brannen Nebula from last week was named after, nice touch) was also a musician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There does,seem to be an excessive amount of quirky episodes this season with two already and now a singing episode. That would be equivalent to 6 quirky episodes in a season of TNG. It's like the writers are afraid of having too many episodes with philosophical quandries as they are inevitably political which puts some fans off now.

Also they seem to be running the spock , Chapel romance into a dead end very quickly ( if no one in the future even knows about it) so I'm not sure why they wasted screen time in setting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,084 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Current showrunners love drama and emotional pain. They can't just write a show about sci-fi goings on. They are also huge fanfic and extended universe fans and obsessed with canonizing the above so if some obscure nerdy part of the internet says Spockel or Chack or whatever the fuk "shipped" then they just have to get it in.

I know it's not Discovery level but I think people sometimes forget it's still closer to Disco than TNG or the likes.

Thing is that may be true but only to a point IMO: I don't think TNG is the true comparison piece here from the original flavour of Trek - it's the TOS. SNW is very much fully of the Adventures in Space mould, than the codified Moral Dilemma variant TNG invested to - and perhaps informed later iterations, sometimes more than others.

I think sometimes people forget that Star Trek stated, and succeeded, as a deeply silly adventure show where space was full of sexy, daft adventures - with an occasional moral conundrum between the salt vampires & conveniently attractive space lady.

• Advertisement

SNW is very much full of adventures and personal drama. It's TOS + a sprinkling of Disco.

It's not Those Old Scientists, it's not Discovery, it's not Next Gen, Voyager or DS Nine or even The Orville done right. It's Strange New Worlds, it is it's own thing and this week it was freaking awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah this is far from like DISCO, every character is getting to shine

That's grand but it doesn't mean we can't criticise it when it gets soppy or over reverential the same way we did when Disco or Picard done it.

Despite being very good it has a lot of the hallmarks of KurtzTrek that I don't like.

So, you want to see Star Trek: Black Mirror (the Channel 4 version) or something? Sounds miserable.

Are these KurtzTrek hallmarks in the room with us now?

• Advertisement

What in God's name are you talking about.

I just find the Spock/Chapel stuff boring or every Uhura story being about her insecurity.

Chapel solved an episode by telling an alien she loved Spock. If Disco done that it would be ripped to sht especially by @Evade above so I'm sorry I hold the almighty SNW to the same standards.

Point on the doll where those hallmarks hurt you...

That was an absolutely amazing episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Anson Mount is great in the comedic scenes but he also shines in dramatic scenes like he did in hell on wheels. Unfortunately this season hasn't given him meatier dramatic scenes yet. I don't mind Chapel v spock think every shows have romances to make them seem grounded in reality but if doomed it seems a bit of a waste of time.

One thing, Spock being emotional around this time is period correct so I'm kinda glad they're showing it and the realisation that it's a passing phase.

Something is going to trigger his rejection of human side again

If Disco did that episode it'd have Michael crying about how she loved everyone and how Starfleet was Starfleet cos everyone in Starfleet is so Starfleet. Then the musical score would climax and we'd have a 30 second pan across the bridge as everyone looked in awe at Michael, sorry, the alien. Sure we've had Disco doing this story, of sorts with the Crying Boy Blowing up the Dillithium, and it was pompous and overblown.

There's no question, SNW definitely has a preference towards emotionality driving the bus at times, it can't be denied: but a big difference here IMO is that this shows character and charisma is completely different to Disco; as with all things it's all in the execution that makes the difference. SNW has a lighter touch, coupled with a cast who have more charisma and magnetism to sell those emotional moments that might otherwise be a little cornball or OTT. So like I said, TOS basically.

• Advertisement

Not saying at all it's exactly the same as or as bad as Discovery but it's certainly not like TOS in that regard. TOS had absolutely zero soap opera drama or personal drama.

Ehhhhhhh, I don't know about that but I suspect we'll talk around in circles from our respective poles. TOS had nothing at the level of the will-they-won't-they ongoing drama, but certainly the constant conveyor belt of softly-lit women for Kirk to seduce made it all a bit ... operatic in that sense; TOS living up to the "Science Romance" moniker from fadó before the nerds truly took over.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just sat through (endured) Those Old Scientists. I found the two Lower Decks charters insufferable and a complete pain.

Definitely not looking forward to “the musical”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is there an amount of Lower Decks that would be recommended to have seen before the latest episode of SNW? I have never watched it before, adn watched the first 4 episodes last night and I like it well enough but I both don't want to have to watch the next 26 epidodes before watching SNW, or be spoiled on some character development in Lower Decks, assuming i continue to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭gipi

I've never seen Lower Decks and it didn't spoil the SNW episode for me.

I know from the crossover that I wouldn't be bothered to watch any of LD - just not for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you've seen the first 4 episodes, you'd have the gist of the 4 main characters, and all that's needed for the SNW episode.

You should still watch the rest of Lower Decks. It does have some great moments, up there with the best of Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,309 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lower Decks is brilliant. Yes in the beginning Marriner is really annoying but they dial that back a bit as the seasons go on. It way more Star Trek than Discovery ever was. It has everything that proper Trek shoukd have in it like crew members working together to solve problems and nearly all thd episode's are well written too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Another note of recommendation for Lower Decks. They tone down the personality of Mariner way back as the show goes on - and TBH lean into it in other ways, with context given to why she's so outsized and brazen. There was/is a reason for it, and one that informed one of the stronger episodes of the run this far.

I don't think that is a good idea, TMP and TNG already used plots from Phase II?

Sure, fans already did something similar with Star Trek: New Voyages, but that’s a fan-made interpretation. This idea would be canon.

The stories have already been covered, and some people want future stories after Picard, aka 'Legacy'.

Post edited by corkie on

I don't want more Kirk and I certainly don't want it with an actor who makes Alan Partridge look charismatic.

Probably all shte talk anyway. There seems to be an article generated every time someone muses any sort of idea out loud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement