Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Tour 2022 - Māori June 29th, NZ July 2nd, NZ July 9th, Māori July 12th, NZ July 16th, KO 8.05am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Pack depth getting tested very quickly. Not ideal having heffernan and scannell As the options behind Sheehan.

Beirne and Ryan locked on as test starters also not ideal considering how little Beirne has played. After that it’s treadwell, McCarthy and Baird. I’d imagine Baird will line out in the 19 jersey.

Perfect warm up for the World Cup really. We’ll know a lot more about options at 1, 2 and lock. Hoping for McCarthy and prendergast to really push on and be Options going forward too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Covid cases in NZ camp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Baloucoune's not there, unfortunately. Injured

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Joe Schmidt called in to replace Foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭theVersatile

For anyone else that thought this was an ironic joke prediction like me.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1541307260885925888?t=KM93foUum3b-v4uUhNaSoQ&s=19

• Advertisement

So for Test #1 are we looking at something along the lines of...?

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Beirne, Ryan, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Earls, Henshaw/Aki, Ringrose/Henshaw, Lowe, Keenan.

Heffernan, Healy, Bealham, Baird, POM, Murray, Carbery, ANOther

Post edited by theVersatile on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Aaaaah balls, forgot that.

Only leaves Larmour and Earls then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Did you mean to put Ryan in there instead of Henderson?

I'd say

Porter Sheehan Furlong

Ryan Beirne

Doris Conan VDF

JGP Sexton

Lowe Henshaw Ringrose Larmour

Keenan

Herring/Heffernan, Healy, Bealham, Henderson/Baird, POM, Murray, Carbery, Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd have thought Farrell would have gone for Barron over Scannell. Herring being out means both Sheehan and Heffernan will probably have to double up on Wednesday and Saturday. That's a big ask.

Henderson leaves us light (literally) at lock, especially considering Beirne hasn't played in months. I wonder does Farrell throw McCarthy or Treadwell in from that start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Errr yeah that really is not ideal at hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

I wish he could stay fit. I think he's the best winger we have (or most likely to break a game open anyway).

Too early in the morning for me it seems 🙄. Corrected.

Barron is not an international. I'm a Munster fan.

Well neither is Scannell. But Barron is far more in the mould of what Farrell looks for in his hookers.

Maybe, but given Ireland's scrum is a bit ropey recently, a set piece hooker like Scannell mightn't be the worst thing

Regardless, if you were to select a Munster hooker, I'd go with Buckley. Has European experience and probably fits the mould of "mini-Kelleher" the most; and I'd rate him to overtake Barron on the Munster depth chart within the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'm not sure what form line would have started Hansen on the right wing anyway to be honest..

Did they play him there v Italy only?

Yes Buckley definitely has the highest ceiling of all the hookers at Munster. But realistically I don't think he was ever going to be in the conversation. I mean, he might have been but I think it unlikely. Barron has at least been in the squad for the big games, it was far more conceivable that he got called up.

I guess, one more injury at hooker and whoever they called up is in the test team, that's probably why they didn't go with someone very green like Buckley, Stewart, Tierney-Martin or McKee.

We'll probably try to get 75 minutes out of Sheehan on Saturday. And he'll also have to play on Wednesday now too. Definitely not ideal. Hope to god Herring is back for the 2nd test.

Post edited by TRC10 on

You need someone who can step off the plane on Tuesday morning and be ready to play against the Maori on Wednesday evening. Scannell isn't a world-beater but he's solid and he's been in Ireland camp a fair bit the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Forgive me for asking- are referring to the Leinster academy’s Lee Barron or is there another older hooker also named Barron?

It would be a major gamble to bring over a guy that young and throw him in against any of the opposition down there ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They are referring to diarmuid Barron, the Munster hooker.

• Advertisement

maori team named:

The matchday 23 is as follows (Province/Super Rugby Club, and Iwi in brackets, debutants in bold). 

1. Ollie Norris (Waikato / Chiefs / Ngāpuhi)

2. Kurt Eklund (Bay of Plenty / Blues / Ngāti Kahu)

3. Tyrel Lomax (Tasman / Hurricanes / Muaupoko / Ngāi Tūhoe)

4. Josh Dickson (Otago / Highlanders / Ngāi Tahu)

5. Isaia Walker-Leawere (Hawkes Bay/Hurricanes/Ngāti Porou)

6. Cameron Suafoa (North Harbour / Blues / Ngāpuhi)

7. Billy Harmon (Canterbury / Highlanders / Ngāi Tahu)

8. Cullen Grace (Canterbury /Crusaders / Ngāti Whakaue / Ngāti Raukawa)

9. Brad Weber© - Kāpene Paheko (Hawkes Bay / Chiefs / Ngāti Porou)

10. Josh Ioane (Otago /Chiefs / Te Rārawa)

11. Connor Garden-Bachop (Wellington / Highlanders / Ngāti Awa)

12. Rameka Poihipi (Canterbury / Chiefs / Ngāti Whakaue)

13. Billy Proctor (Wellington / Hurricanes / Ngāi Te Rangi / Ngāpuhi)

14. Shaun Stevenson (North Harbour / Chiefs / Ngāpuhi)

15. Zarn Sullivan (Auckland / Blues / Ngāti Kahungunu)

16. Tyrone Thompson (Hawkes Bay / Chiefs / Ngāi Tāmanuhiri / Ngāti Rangiwewehi)

17. Tamaiti Williams (Canterbury / Crusaders / Ngāpuhi)

18. Jermaine Ainsley (Otago /Highlanders / Te Rārawa / Te Arawa)

19. Maanaki Selby-Rickit (Bay Of Plenty / Highlanders / Ngāti Raukawa / Ngāti Tūwharetoa)

20. TK Howden (Manawatu / Hurricanes / Ngāi Tūhoe)

21. TJ Perenara© - Kāpene Paheko (Wellington / Hurricanes / Ngāti Rangitihi)

22. Ruben Love (Wellington / Hurricanes / Te Atiawa)

23. Bailyn Sullivan (Waikato / Hurricanes / Ngāti Kahungunu)

very surprised not to see Reed Princep in there. Suafoa is very much wet behind the ears, only 1 start for the blues ever. Thompson at 16 has never started a super rugby game.

also surprised not to see nankevill in the center, He has much more experience than Poihipi.

Maoris have gone for youth ahead of experience in most areas. I fancy ireland to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A couple of Sullivan's in the team. Has to be some Kerry or Cork in there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe it's time Ireland had a Culchie XV team? Public school only, GAA-converts or dual-coders, must have at least 3 farmers as grandparents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I presume its Tupaea and Ioane that'll be starting in the 1st test?

And was Ionae always going to be the OC?

Jacob Stockdale, Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, James Lowe, Jack Carty, Conor Murray, Dave Kilcoyne, Dylan Tierney Martin, Tadgh Furlong,Iain Henderson, Thomas Ahern, Paul Boyle, John Hodnett, Jack O'Donoghue

Reps: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick,Vakh Abdaladze, Niall Murray, Marcus Rea, Craig Casey, Ciaran Frawley, Adam Byrne

Not a terrible side, but the hooker position was very hard to find eligible players for. The likes of Aki & Lowe have questionable GAA credentials too.

I could be wrong on a few, or missed a few, as i find it hard to tell definitely what are state schools or fee paying schools in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Deramore

Only fee paying rugby school in Ulster is Campbell, so everyone in your team is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Could definitely see McCarthy starting the 1st test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Shane Delahunt lives on the family farm in Offaly, surely has to be captain. Would ago have Peter dooley and Tom Daly blade involved.

• Advertisement

Are these games only going to be on sky sports?

Advertisement