Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Conveniently forgetting countries with the strictest face mask laws still had record cases only a couple of months ago 🙄

Also have to laugh at today’s purveyor of doom in the media (Prof Loscher) saying how she proudly was one of only 4 people on the plane wearing a mask.

Then how it goes on further down to say how she now has Covid. I shouldn’t laugh but come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,744 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Myself and others have covered this already with you but DAA's staffing issues are the result of them making huge numbers of staff redundant during the pandemic in an effort to cut costs/get rid of staff on more favourable (ie: expensive) terms. When demand increased again at the airport, this was shown up for the folly it was.

You're welcome.

Ah they can "demand" all they like, but the Government and general public have more pressing things on their minds than appeasing the perpetually anxious and self-interests of the unions

Worth a read of the A&E thread over in CA. Maybe if they weren't all standing around having the craic with waiting rooms full they might get through the triage, treatment and discharge faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

A solution many of you have been waiting for.

Sip in safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Now we know you're taking the p*ss.

In the same spirit, here's the latest in monkeypox mask technology:

Your"self and others have covered this already" with total disregard to COVID placing ALL the blame on DAA staffing issues, which is blindly incorrect.

Dalton Philips clearly puts the blame on 3 key factors. The first of which cannot be blamed for events occuring, leaving just 2 key factors.

It's happened twice already this year so no doubt it will happen again before Christmas unless changes are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just as they were spot on back in March when data suggested that cases would fall away quickly and they did. The INMO does not set HSE/Government policy as they'd love to and we are now living with a disease that is little more than a very minor inconvenience except to a very tiny number of people. Of more interest to all of us is where the plan is to mitigate the disproportionate effect of incidental COVD on the hospital system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Advertisement

In fairness to him it's a standard government non-answer. It's a bit like Martin not ruling things out becoming an entirely different headline. Bear in mind we had 1,600 in hospital with COVID at the end of March and there were no masks. There is unquestionably a COVID cult in the media and as I am learning in RL some people are finding it very hard to return to normal lives and are still fixed at some point in 2020. The continued stirring of this by the media is not helping them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I just hope the info that’s now starting to come out isn’t true. It would seem that BA.4/5 has now brought Omicron back up to Delta severity. It’s now able to successfully get back down in to the lungs like previous variants.

However when you see what happened it Portugal and SA the BA.4/5 wave didn’t last long and hospitalizations weren’t overrun.

IIRC when SA got it, it was quite swift and at a lower peak than previous surges.

Yep and Portugals wave only lasted 3/4 weeks before it started declining.

There's definitely a different environment this time.

First time we had little real information about the virus or its effects and scary images from China and Italy to stoke fears in people.

This time everyone has been through multiple vaccinations, many have caught it themselves and suffered no real effects in the majority of cases, and we know who is actually at potentially significant risk.

Plus the population is already under pressure and frustrated with government performance on everything else that's hurting them - the "old reliables" of housing, other healthcare needs, and of course the ever increasing costs of living, as well as the pressures on all of these by Putin's war and the "come one come all" response by Government to Ukrainian refugees.

If they try to enforce masks again in the middle of summer on an already weary and increasingly angry population it may actually lead to not only non-compliance but more protests and unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I had the Delta Variant when it first came out. It was very nasty, left some of us in hospital. Fit healthy adults.

Now I also have covid & am vaccinated & the last few days have been very unpleasant. Presumably omicron My mother is currently very sick with it in hospital.

The interesting thing is that every one of my Antigen tests are negative. Positive on PCR & I had symptoms.

I am waiting on the results today of a PCR for my daughter who I cannot isolate from. If a negative antigen, would that likely mean I'm less likely to pass it on? We will soon find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Itll be great to see the back of Stephen Donnelly after the next election....

A dreadful minister and an incredible spoofer...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's beyond me how we still haven't gotten around to N95 or equivalent mask wearing. They were going to bring them in back in early January but I think they were afraid of upsetting the large companies with short notice that they said surgical masks were grand. 6 months later and we still haven't gotten around to N95 mask wearing.

It's so sad seeing old people on the bus with their flimsy cloth masks and huge gaps on surgical masks thinking they are protecting themselves when they aren't. The nurses union were able to shout about better protection masks for themselves but not for others it seems.

At the risk of being accused of gaslighting I think we really need to move to a point where the views of certain people are seen as symptoms of a compulsive disorder. Living with risk is too much for some and we can’t pander the most risk averse in society.

You have a point. An increasing problem generally is how the majority are being made pander to small but noisy minority groups.

As Mr Spock once said, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

• Advertisement

And Spock was a doctor after all.

I work in an office and we’ve been back a few days a week since March. A young woman I work with wears a fabric mask all day. She sanitises her hands every time she leaves or arrives at her desk. When she gets into work and leaves at the end of the day she uses loads of industrial cleaning wipes and spends 3 or 4 minutes wiping down the desk, keyboard and mouse, screen and chair.

Now I appreciate that there’s an element of theatre to this, she has a rucksack that’s peppered with LGBT, BLM and pro vaccine stickers, but surely at this point she’s aware that this is an airborne virus. Measures such as fabric masks and hand sanitising/surface cleaning are surely understood to be relatively useless especially with latest variants.

This kind of obsessive behaviour in 2019 would have been indicative of a disorder.

In 2022 with the knowledge we have of both the virus itself and the effectiveness of these mitigation measures I can’t help but perceive this kind of obsessiveness as a disorder unless it’s all some kind of woke ritualistic behaviour.

Unfortunately we live in an era where signs of concerning behaviour are treated as expressing individuality and choice, but you're right. It's not healthy for your colleague to be living with that level of concern - either for her safety, or to be seen doing the "right things".

Far too many in this country (and it's a problem that exists long before twitter and Facebook) are concerned with fitting in and complying with what they're told by perceived betters, rather than analysing the information for themselves and making up their own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Our office is making mask wearing optional from tomorrow morning, just as all the talk of putting them back on again is appearing in the media.

Something came up online for me this morning. With a headline about face masks and ventilation is required now. I don't know what it said because I didn't read it but thought it was very sad that people are crying about ventilation now. We're over two years in, have we learnt nothing about this? Ventilation should have been a measure two years ago but nope they were too busy with preventing droplets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

That and washing hands with hand sanitizer for a VIRAL infection. Never made any sense to me that these akin to Howard Hughes people don’t know the difference between a bacterial and viral infection.

No harm in washing hands. There's some really dirty people out there. We now have monkeypox to deal with and that is viral and can be spread through surfaces. So washing hands and wiping surfaces is no harm.

Nope not good enough. I would bleach surfaces at least 5 times a day , wash hands every 20 mins or so throughout the day.

Majority of Nurses have actually just been downgraded.

HSE now purchasing FFP2 from aborad, again. What could go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You shouldn't laugh, she has a point!

Assuming that the flight was more than 1.25 hours and she was wearing an N95 mask, she was doomed unless everyone was wearing a similar mask. But of course ~180 other people on board knew better, including at least 1 infected person!

That's the problem with these mask debates, either everyone wears them properly (and not around their chin, wrist or under their nose) or it's going to be largely ineffective. Then it's easy to just shrug your shoulders and claim masks are useless.

I remember similar debates about how seat belts were restrictive and awkward and didn't really do anything, especially if the driver in the other car went through their windscreen and into yours. Now they are mandatory and almost everyone wears them properly and not around their knees. It's not difficult and could save lives (even if the vast majority of us never have a serious accident and end up in hospital).

But yeah, laugh away at another person's misfortune...

Advertisement