Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Just came across this place the other day, LFVP, about 145 Nm west of St John Nova Scotia!! It's the airport of Saint-Pierre, on the French Overseas Collectivity of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, hence the LF designator. As someone else said, every days a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Miquelon was recently featured in the latest series of Peaky Blinders, oddly enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It existing was why we had Paris-Dublin-Halifax flights some years ago. ATR from Saint-Pierre to Halifax, Europe Airpost 737 to Dublin and then Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Have LOT dropped Warsaw? It doesn't seem to be on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Not news but just seeing DUB departures and there are flights from 4 airlines to Toronto today. Aer Lingus, Air Canada, Westjet and Air Transat. Are there any other DUB routes with this number of airlines or more serving it? Seems over provided as I wouldn't have thought Toronto was one of the top North American destinations? Would be interesting to know what the load factors are across all 4 services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While not all to the same airport, Paris has 5 airlines serving it:

Air France & Aer Lingus - CDG

Transavia & Vueling - ORY

Ryanair - BVA

I would imagine with the very large Irish diaspora in Toronto has a bearing on the number of flights. The Canadian airlines would have connections to other parts of Canada and Northern USA. Finally, three of the aircraft used are narrow bodies with lower capacity - A321N (Air Transat & EI) and 737 Max (West Jet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

My wife is on this Ba flight this morning to Southampton. Its an Embraer 190. Says there is max 20 people on the flight.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

And the aircraft will then operate a no doubt full holiday flight from Southampton to Alicante.

The flight from Dublin is effectively a positioning flight to operate holiday flights from Southampton, and they might as well operate it in service.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Be interesting if Norse add something new but I'm not overly enthusiastic about them either way, so far their decision making feels like a bad case of deja vu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

Wife returned on the plane today. Says there was around 50 people.

Enjoyed both flights.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Looking at the current US served airports, daily JFK, LAX and x5 MCO or FLL assuming full ultlisation of the slots. Nothing to risky and well established routes.

If they surrive long term or not is another issue. They might be a bigger problem for Aer Lingus than Norwegian with the MAX services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The Signature flight support boys must stay very tight lipped about who’s coming in and going out via Dublin.

I’m more curious as to who is flying what. For instance tonight 50 Cent is in town and so is Duran Duran. Would love to know what type of aircraft they have at their disposal if that’s a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

Surely they would need to announce routes shortly for the winter USA flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

20x weekly slots is quite a lot. Will be interesting to see if they do anything with them.

Theres speculation in the article about Norse opening a Berlin->Dubai route. Its probably an extreme long shot but if they launched a DUB->DXB route it would be very interesting, Emirates' fares for the direct flight have shot up in the last few years - they're approx 650eur for any given non peak travel in economy now, vs 400eur a few years ago (or 350eur flying with a connection today).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Anybody reckon that Flybe would return to providing flights between DUB and a London airport, especially LHR? Would be lovely to feed into non-oneworld long haul flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

https://www.lavozdeasturias.es/noticia/asturias/2022/06/22/ryanair-viajara-dublin-bruselas-roma-dusseldorf-londres-oferta-19-euros/00031655899059282668763.htm

Ryanair will travel from Asturias to Dublin, Brussels, Rome, Düsseldorf and London with an offer of 19 euros

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heathrow slots are basically impossible to get, except by buying for millions. Aeroflots were reallocated recently but that's the only movement in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

But Flybe had Heathrow slots so those must have gone somewhere

To Flybe 2.0, in a complex mess - they were BA/IAG slots so went back to BA but BA must offer them to anyone who offers to do certain routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

Don't think this was mentioned on here before, but next summer TUI will start flying Dublin to Cancun.

https://ittn.ie/news/non-stop-flights-from-dublin-to-cancun-kick-off-in-june-2023-with-tui/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wild to me people would travel to Cancun from Dublin on a package holiday when you'll get more or less the same thing in Spain/Portugal, and pretty much at the same price these days too. Cancun is priced for US tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The beaches and water in Cancun are very different to Spain/Portugal, the food is different, and there are huge amounts of day trips around the area to places like the Chichen Itza that are completely unique. If you're younger the partying is also completely and utterly different, with massive nightclubs that have open bars and are full of Irish-loving Americans.

In saying that I don't know why it'd be a summer route though, the summer is their cloudy season when weather is at its worst. Its also 25C+ year round there so it makes a lot more sense as a winter holiday destination when Europe is cold and the sun options are limited here.

Will punters trust Tui on that distance of route after this summer?

I think you overestimate how much US tourists like Irish people.

Frankly, you'd be insane to commit to an 8hr flight for the same **** you can do in Europe for half the price and a quarter the flight time. So many better Carribean destinations, Cancun is effectively Magaluf by a different name. Fair enough there are some decent AIs further down in Playa/Tulum but you may as well go to one of Carribean islands if you're going that far, way better beaches and atmosphere.

I went to Cancun in my early 20s, its absolutely not possible to overestimate how much American college girls like Irish accents. Its an experience/holiday I recommend to any and all Irish people to do while young and single, its incredible fun.

I've also done plenty of summer holidays to European destinations in my youth, including Magaluf. If you're comparing the two I'm guessing you've haven't personally been to either because they're completely different in terms of beaches, accommodation options, food, nationalities of other tourists around you, nightlife style, culture/historical things to visit in the area etc.

• Advertisement

Been to both, live in the US. Think I'm pretty well placed to have a take on it.

Advertisement