Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Be interesting if Norse add something new but I'm not overly enthusiastic about them either way, so far their decision making feels like a bad case of deja vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

Wife returned on the plane today. Says there was around 50 people.

Enjoyed both flights.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Looking at the current US served airports, daily JFK, LAX and x5 MCO or FLL assuming full ultlisation of the slots. Nothing to risky and well established routes.

If they surrive long term or not is another issue. They might be a bigger problem for Aer Lingus than Norwegian with the MAX services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The Signature flight support boys must stay very tight lipped about who’s coming in and going out via Dublin.

I’m more curious as to who is flying what. For instance tonight 50 Cent is in town and so is Duran Duran. Would love to know what type of aircraft they have at their disposal if that’s a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭davebuck

Surely they would need to announce routes shortly for the winter USA flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Blut2

20x weekly slots is quite a lot. Will be interesting to see if they do anything with them.

Theres speculation in the article about Norse opening a Berlin->Dubai route. Its probably an extreme long shot but if they launched a DUB->DXB route it would be very interesting, Emirates' fares for the direct flight have shot up in the last few years - they're approx 650eur for any given non peak travel in economy now, vs 400eur a few years ago (or 350eur flying with a connection today).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Anybody reckon that Flybe would return to providing flights between DUB and a London airport, especially LHR? Would be lovely to feed into non-oneworld long haul flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

https://www.lavozdeasturias.es/noticia/asturias/2022/06/22/ryanair-viajara-dublin-bruselas-roma-dusseldorf-londres-oferta-19-euros/00031655899059282668763.htm

Ryanair will travel from Asturias to Dublin, Brussels, Rome, Düsseldorf and London with an offer of 19 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heathrow slots are basically impossible to get, except by buying for millions. Aeroflots were reallocated recently but that's the only movement in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

But Flybe had Heathrow slots so those must have gone somewhere

To Flybe 2.0, in a complex mess - they were BA/IAG slots so went back to BA but BA must offer them to anyone who offers to do certain routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Don't think this was mentioned on here before, but next summer TUI will start flying Dublin to Cancun.

https://ittn.ie/news/non-stop-flights-from-dublin-to-cancun-kick-off-in-june-2023-with-tui/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wild to me people would travel to Cancun from Dublin on a package holiday when you'll get more or less the same thing in Spain/Portugal, and pretty much at the same price these days too. Cancun is priced for US tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The beaches and water in Cancun are very different to Spain/Portugal, the food is different, and there are huge amounts of day trips around the area to places like the Chichen Itza that are completely unique. If you're younger the partying is also completely and utterly different, with massive nightclubs that have open bars and are full of Irish-loving Americans.

In saying that I don't know why it'd be a summer route though, the summer is their cloudy season when weather is at its worst. Its also 25C+ year round there so it makes a lot more sense as a winter holiday destination when Europe is cold and the sun options are limited here.

Will punters trust Tui on that distance of route after this summer?

I think you overestimate how much US tourists like Irish people.

Frankly, you'd be insane to commit to an 8hr flight for the same **** you can do in Europe for half the price and a quarter the flight time. So many better Carribean destinations, Cancun is effectively Magaluf by a different name. Fair enough there are some decent AIs further down in Playa/Tulum but you may as well go to one of Carribean islands if you're going that far, way better beaches and atmosphere.

I went to Cancun in my early 20s, its absolutely not possible to overestimate how much American college girls like Irish accents. Its an experience/holiday I recommend to any and all Irish people to do while young and single, its incredible fun.

I've also done plenty of summer holidays to European destinations in my youth, including Magaluf. If you're comparing the two I'm guessing you've haven't personally been to either because they're completely different in terms of beaches, accommodation options, food, nationalities of other tourists around you, nightlife style, culture/historical things to visit in the area etc.

• Advertisement

Been to both, live in the US. Think I'm pretty well placed to have a take on it.

Completely agree, especially in the summer months. It would be a great additional route for in the winter though. The weather is great there then and can be an excellent break from the winter months here. Also, although I don't expect the regular TUI clientele to go for this, Cancun offers a lot of very affordable connections around Mexico and to the rest central America/Cuba/Colombia, bypassing generally more expensive connections in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Not a fan of the timings to TLV. Arriving at 5:10am is going to be rough.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Anybody out around DUB today? United flight this morning. Pilot heard a loud bang at 16,000 feet while climbing after take off.

Said nothing until he landed in Dublin. Didn’t even have emergency services on stand by. Just off the plane while doing the walk around and was like. Oh that’s what the loud noise was 🤣

What can only be described as a large chunk near the tail end.

UA have to send over a team of engineers and sheet metal workers to inspect it and report. Before it can be touched. then repairs work can start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

AAIU will presumably be involved also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Why would they have emergency services on standby if they didn't know what happened? A bang with no parameter shifts etc could be anything,that's not near tail end,thats the pack bay access door missing

Who knows, I have seen guys call the trucks for the most minor of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Emirates returns to a double daily service to Dubai starting tomorrow Sept 1st for the first time in 2.5 years.

I was on FR122 yesterday. DUB-LGW 2 hours buttoned up waiting for permission to go from Gatwick .... time of planned departure 1340, actual wheels up 1540. We were doors closed at 1335 . Just so folks know .....

Thats pretty frustrating for such a short flight (or any flight, I guess). What was the hold up on the LGW end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

IIRC NATS lost the LGW terminal contract to DFS a few years ago. The Ts&Cs in this new operation were vastly inferior to NATS, so all the folks with decent experience left. Even before COVID there was a critical global shortage of ATCOs (as Karlsruhe, Marseille and others amply demonstrated). NATS I believe got the contract back but it likely explains why LGW is particularly badly affected.

Post edited by HTCOne on

Explains why SNN LGW was delayed 3 hours yesterday aswell. FR1182 due to depart 6.05 departed at 9.05.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Out of interest, How's the Kerry <-> Dublin Ryanair route performing? I see the Max8 assigned to it tonight (Probs for the Gareth brooks concerts) but just on average!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hopefully it’s performing well

I wouldn’t gauge it on the max doing it though, the max is probably cheaper to operate on it than the regular 73s so not necessarily an indicator of it being busier

Other than for travel within the next couple of days, the fares between DUB and KIR and vv over the next couple of weeks seem to be €20 each way at the moment. What does that suggest?

I was actually wondering that myself yesterday as one passed over me in Kildare at a cruise altitude of 16000ft!!

I presume they're making money from it given that they have kept it for so long. Possibly they are building up the route so that they can tender for the PSO when it comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I've done it twice. Over 150 on it both times. So that's two ATR's when you work it out! I'd say it is quiet on some of the midweek days, but gets very strong weekend traffic in both directions. The MAX seems to feature regularly on a Sunday as that's the planned schedule for that aircraft that day (it goes to Girona after). The fact that they book end the flight with a longer one, seems to work well for them.

Here is an interesting quotation from a 2021 Dept of Transport document on PSOs:

"A Member State, following consultations with the other Member States concerned and after having informed the Commission, the airports concerned and air carriers operating on the route, may impose a public service obligation in respect of scheduled air services between an airport in the Community and an airport serving a peripheral or development region in its territory or on a thin route to any airport on its territory any such route being considered vital for the economic and social development of the region which the airport serves. That obligation shall be imposed only to the extent necessary to ensure on that route the minimum provision of scheduled air services satisfying fixed standards of continuity, regularity, pricing or minimum capacity, which air carriers would not assume if they were solely considering their commercial interest."

On the face of it, it seems to me that Ryanair would have to discontinue the current service in order for consideration of a PSO arrangement to arise.

There can't be a PSO when there is an existing commercial operator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Great to hear the route is doing well with Ryanair but would it be more successful with connections to the trans atlantic network?

Ryanair famously only a point to point airline , no connections and no hubs .... try and book a connecting flight on the same ticket... cant be done on Ryanair

Yes partly true. There can be a PSO if the commercial operator doesn't meet the terms of what would be a PSO. For example if FR were to cut back to 1 service a day the government may decide that that's insufficent and the public would be better served under a PSO.

The cynic in me would say that Ryanair can build up the route, pull back on the service, force a PSO tender and then win it. However if it's commercially viable, the free market should kick in and attract others to offer the service. Either way I tihnk it's great that such capacity is currently viable and hope that FR will keep doing what they're doing.

They offer very limited connections in specific airports now. However they're never going to offer feed to EI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hopefully this will ease the crazy prices slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Fully understand but if it went to PSO could a condition be that it must offer full connections (not sure if there is a technical term - "interline" maybe).

That has never been a condition before as the priority is to ensure regional access (within the country). I have often thought it would be a great thing to do and would really enhance international access. Imagine if businesses could see seamless connections from say Atlanta to Cork or Kerry, only one change. It would be brilliant imo. I would imagine it would be difficult technically to achieve with different airlines operating different systems etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Not entirely true.

I flew this route in July, arriving back at the 200 gates and walking up the corridor before passport check a guy standing next to an opened door shouted out ‘anyone for connections?’.

Someone from our flight walked over and said he was going to Newcastle, was asked to present boarding pass and allow exit for connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think they have a deal with Kerry flights from Ryanair, and Kerry flights only. Can use connections.

Kerry airport are on the ball so maybe they pushed this during the security fiascos, I don't know.

Advertisement