Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redfall

• 19-06-2021 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Someone on 4 chan actually leaked Redfall over a year ago and I guess it turned out to be true. The concept sounds great, described as an open world immersive sim.

Redfall rumours

Arkane is the definitely the one to watch. My fave studio right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hell yeah! Even without seeing any gameplay I have high hopes for this one - Arkane doing a 4 player co-op with a sci-fi/horror angle?

<chef's kiss>

556336.jpg

From the blurb on the Bethesda website; "Redfall is a co-op FPS that brings Arkane Austin’s unique DNA and love of deep, immersive stories to an ever-changing open-world setting that reacts to your choices and actions. Traverse the island, collect and customize new gear, and upgrade your hero’s abilities to suit your playstyle, whether it’s a fast and noisy “bullets and stakes for everyone” approach or something a little more subtle.

Pete Hines talked a little about it in an interview last week, where he reiterated the idea of the changing game world;
    Every time you play it, you’re getting something different. The world is changing from the last time you played it, in ways that are meaningful from a gameplay standpoint.

He also confirmed you can essentially play it solo if you want. Oh, and coming to Game Pass day 1, natch.

Yeah, makes sense. Doesn't one of the other characters
    have some vampiric power or other too - the sniper, IIRC.

There's been a leak from a test build of the game - fifteen or so images on imgur, and a breakdown/impressions from the original leaker on reddit. Much is speculation of what is essentially an early test build, so grains of salt all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

We pretty much knew it would be delayed, but I was still thinking we'd see it towards the end of this year. With this and Starfield both delayed, I wonder will they bother showing them at not-E3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not surprised by redfall being delayed, seeing as we've heard diddly squat about it since that trailer.

Arkane Austin reiterate that it will be completely playable as a solo player;

“It was very important to us that we allow you to play the game alone,” says Smith. “So you can pick your way along very slowly, play at your own pace, observe things at a distance, plan, formulate, harvest resources, do all those things that you probably like doing in an Arkane game.”

Why were the creators of Prey and Dishonored moving away from meticulous, hand-crafted precision in favour of the messy chaos of co-operative open worlds? A year later I’ve learned that, well, they haven’t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do have to say, something like a small town seems like a much better setting for an 'open world' game than a big sprawling city: you get to keep that handcrafted feel without getting lost in sheer scale. Sounds promising in that regard, although will depend on how satisfying it is solo or in smaller groups.

Disappointed they seem to be sticking with a weapons loot / rarity system though, at least based on a brief shot at the end of the trailer - that was one of the more underwhelming features of Deathloop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Deathloo? A game where a trip to the jacks can be fatal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I didn't love Deathloop, 'Deathloo' is purely a typo rather than a cheap dig at the game's perceived shittiness (it's not ****) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,198 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd partially dismissed this title as it seemed completely co-op based, but if it does work well as single player I'd be very interested.

Post edited by Penn on

Still no release date with the newest trailer;

Arkane giving us a better idea of what the game is, and is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Out on the 2nd of May for Xbox Series X and Series S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

I've played all arkane games bar 2017 Prey . So must start that tonight and get it done before this . I hope it's good single player cos it looks awesome and id like play this one alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Looks set to come out 2 May, 2023 - think its hitting Game Pass - which dodges the pricey purchase of 69.99 - hoping its great though

During our Redfall preview session, we had the opportunity to chat with the game's creative director, Harvey Smith (who also worked on Deus Ex and Dishonored 1 and 2). This was the opportunity to ask him about the impact of the Microsoft takeover of Bethesda in 2021, right in the middle of the development of Redfall.

Harvey Smith told us that one notable consequence was the immediate cancellation of the PlayStation 5 version of the game.

"We got bought out by Microsoft and it was a change with a capital C. They came in and said 'No PlayStation 5, we're focusing on Xbox, PC and Game Pass'."

The development of Redfall started before the year of the buyout, so knowing that a version dedicated to the Sony console was planned is not a real surprise, but receiving official confirmation is still interesting. Moreover, for its creative director, this decision is almost beneficial.

"It's not a big deal, it's actually a good decision I think. [It helps] support Game Pass and have one less platform to worry about, one less complexity."

The developer goes even further, because according to him, this acquisition could even allow Redfall to be "Arkane's biggest game".

"Game Pass has a ton of players, it could become our biggest game because of the 30 million, where I can't remember the exact number, subscribers."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Looking pretty interesting this game looking forward to giving it a go :)

No doubt game development is a complicated business and the pressure to hit a release date must be intense. But still: it’s extremely frustrating to see a 60FPS performance mode relegated to ‘post launch patch’ territory as opposed to a basic day one feature. A tough call for the developers to delay such an essential feature, I’m sure, but a kick in the teeth for players who’ll buy the game at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was going to check this out for a bit before Zelda launches but I can't be dealing with 30fps. Gamepass is great but I haven't played much on it lately and this ain't helping with the lack of first party content.

Given how much it's been delayed already, that's disappointing to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm in the 60 club too, can't be dealing with 30 anymore, mine eyes don't like it. Also not sure if it's the kind of game for me anyway, but I'll give it a whirl once the 60fps update is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Let's call a spade a spade , that's an absolute joke and a disgrace !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

30fps is fine for a handheld like the Steam Deck but for play on a 50 inch TV, you can't really get away with it anymore.

Microsoft keep finding rakes to step on and as someone who owns a Series X, I'm actually thinking about trading it for a PS5.

I would just delay it again at this stage, the game has already been delayed a full year. It's a joke not launching with 60fps. It was so stupid doing that "coming in the next 12 months" showcase last June. Starfield and Forza have already been delayed out of that window so might as well just take the embarrassment of delaying the third of the big games that were supposed to launch in 12 months.

There will be games this generation that will only be 30 / 40 FPS. There are some already, in fact, like A Plague Tale Requiem. I think that's something console-only players will have to tolerate, whether they like it or not, as games push graphical boundaries and use new tech like Unreal Engine 5.

BUT the problem here is that releasing it somewhere down the line just gives the impression of something being unfinished and rushed out before its ready. If a 60 FPS version is possible - as it is in this case - it shouldn't be an afterthought added after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If the current consoles can't do UE5 games at 60fps then expect to see a PS5 Pro/Xbox Series X+ before too long. I started a Plague Tale Requiem on Series X but didn't get too far, I found the frame rate fairly off putting. I'd rather play at 1440p/60 than 4K/30 if the option was available.

Advertisement