Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redfall

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The issue there is the multiplayer component. If the game tanks in a years time if you don't have mates that will play with you then the game could well be effectively dead unless they manage a ubisoft style resurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was going to give this a go on PC Games pass considering I have the week off work. Then I saw the disk space requirement. I think I'll just go back to Havendock and Star trek online tomorrow:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steam reviews are pretty savage. Looks like another PC port that runs like absolute garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a shame to see a great studio releasing what appears to be something of a flop*. Hopefully Microsoft gives them some breathing room to either build on this or to take their time on a follow up. Hell, even a Hi-Fi Rush style smaller game could be a good fit for Arkane.

*haven’t played it so can only go by the critical and public reception, but it doesn’t even seem worth the Game Pass download at the moment, which is an unfortunate state of affairs for an Arkane game in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's definitely a shame. By most accounts the problems aren't just performance, but seem pretty systemic through most of the game design. Can't help but feel it may have been rushed out the door by higher-ups.

I was really looking forward to this being good. I'm always skeptical of "It's designed for 4-player co-op but you can play it single-player if you want", but the first few trailers looked brilliant, Arkane are a great studio and I was a big fan of Deathloop, and overall the combat and style just looked fun. But going by a lot of the clips I've seen online as well as listening/reading reviews, it seems like there are problems there that patches aren't really going to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's always hard to know where the blame lies with projects like this. Very possible Microsoft / Bethesda just wanted a looter shooter for Game Pass and Arkane was stuck with actually pulling that together. But equally possible it was just the studio not being able to pull off the game they wanted. I definitely think that, unlike Jedi Survivor, a few performance patches won't be fixing all that ails this one. But who knows - some people seem to like where Fallout 76 ended up in the end, so there could be something worth playing some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭McFly85

What I find surprising is that it has fairly significant performance issues on Microsoft’s flagship console. You would think being a first party studio Arkane would have access to a serious amount of in-house knowledge with system architecture, optimisation etc. I understand that this was in development for years before the takeover, but they still would have had to look at these items anyway.

I keep thinking that if there was no subscription service and MS had to rely on units sold for profit, this wouldn’t have been released in this state. Makes me wonder if MS will have a high enough tolerance for release issues, adopting a release now fix later approach. While it’s good to be able to advertise new available first party content, the downside is lukewarm launches and a question mark about the overall quality of games on the service.

Ubisoft have fixed and made successful worse games. Hopefully it can be turned around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Phil Spencer has his say on the game, he better hope star field deliver or else he's gonna be getting his p45.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also, I don't get the excitement ever for another FPS. XBox is stuck in a rut. I hope Star Field turns things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Poor oul Phil. It's been a rough couple of weeks. I agree with the above though - Starfield really needs to deliver.

Advertisement