Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So that’s a ‘plus ‘ for the lad?

God help us all so.

Would someone tell Kenny Cunningham to slow the fuhherke down.

Who in RTE approves these lads , for fuheerkes sake have some criteria for these positions.

Like grammatical understanding…..would be a start.

Shows complete disrespect for the listener as if any auld shïte Kerr and his fellow travelers pipe out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Well Man of the Match was probably thinking he was getting the "you are taking the P*ss" award 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Hes not Richie 'Id bore the dead' Sadlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Brian sounds bad on virgin media. Sounds hoarse.. Could be covid?

Sounds bad!!

Nothing new there, shaft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's only a shame we can't clone the great man and have him co-commentate on every football match for the rest of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Richard dunne with a face on him like someone gave him a wedgie

Hopefully Kerr is not involved this gayam

Ooohhhhh DAddy……. At least he’s not co-com.

BT Sport it is.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great to hear him again.

Top man Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kerr seems like an eminently likeable fellow… im not sure about him as a pundit or co commentator. You could win world cups or a plethora or trophies have all the trophies in the world and be an average pundit..as big a fan as I am of Roy Keane the footballer I’m not sure he adds much as a pundit. Improving a bit, but..

when Giles, Dunphy we’re in their pomp they were good to listen to, not always right but they added a certain intelligible and nuanced double act of insight….

A classmate of mine was in the Ireland Euro Championship winning under 18 squad, I forget if he was in the under 16’s that won too but he was always thoroughly and emphatically a fan of Kerr….

Couldn’t warm to the boy, kind of barrow boy attitude about him.

Certainly not as co-com……nah.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The great man is on now.

This is brilliant.

Hopefully he won’t be around the place tonight?

Great to have the man as the main pundit on both Newstalk and Virgin Media. Great turn of phrase, obvious passion for the game, and his preparation/research for each game is obvious.

The great man is on now.

Who in Gods name is that lad on co.commentary on the Scotland game.

”Kiernan” Tierney

”Landon” Dykes

C’mon now, that’s off the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I like Brian Kerr, very knowledgeable and passionate about the game.

I have no time for Jackeens’ in general, but I will make an exception for a few of the True Blue sorts who never lost their accent, and have a wonderful use of language.

Brian Kerr

Roddy Collins

Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

I agree that Brian Kerr is a national treasure. His accent is one of those old Dublin types, quite heart warming and amusing.

My Jasus. !!!!

Just goes on and on and on. Just so horribly long winded. Also pronounces "team" as "tay-um".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Brian Kerr is a Dublin treasure. I love his passion for the game. A St Patrick's Athletic and League of Ireland man first and foremost. His knowledge of the game is second to none. One of the best pundits be it tv or radio. A sound man, also, with a great sense of humour.

I get the feeling there's some kind of running joke in here where people praise him effusively.

Nonsense, the man is an excellent contributor. Has a delivery that auld Mr. Brennan, hisself, would be proud of.

The only people who seem to take umbrage with Mr. Kerr are the types who would appear to, regularly, get very “bound up” and lash out at those about them as a result.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Not seeing this running joke thing either, all I see is praise for a funny and knowledgeable pundit who has a great way with words, it's not that strange is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It isn't a real accent, it is what someone thinks a 'real dub' is supposed to sound like, just like the VO from that stupid Brennan's Bread ad from years ago.

Why do VM tolerate a co.com. constantly referring to

Lyndon Dykes and Kieran Tierney as Landon Dykes and Kiernan Tierney.

Surely VM have SOME standards which apply to people like Kerr and those who commentate on games.

Personally no issue with these lads, but professionally,all I can say is extremely annoying and unprofessional.

No more, no less.

I lived for long enough around there and No-One had as an annoying accent as him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Brian Kerr is the best pundit around by a country mile, Damien Delaney on the other hand, Jaysus, where do you start???

in terms on club football…A league of Ireland man is all he amounted to.

managed Pats for 10 years winning 2 trophies….

his main success has been managing and mentoring the Ireland underage sides winning both the  Under 16 & 18 European Championships.

what can’t be forgotten during that period is the quality of player available to him… Robbie Keane, John OShea, Richard Dunne amongst others.

• Advertisement

Nah, I just like him a lot and I think people can't get past the accent and don't recognise how knowledgable he is. Which is a shame for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Thyroid issues which affect the eyes. Have some fcuking respect.

having knowledge is all very well. He seems very likeable too…But not being of the ability to have excellent verbal communication skills… “ yer man “, “ their number 4 “ etc…

It’s media, it’s communication…. Say what you like about Dunphy, Giles etc… they could communicate successfully, succinctly and eruditely with each other, the presenter and the audience… without having to dive into cliches or “Der number 3 isn’t up to much”..type of carry on..

i don’t think people care about his accent but if you are working in the media and arnt familiar with your subject matter ie. players it’s not great..

More light hearted aspects of Brian’s work from behind the scenes, this is hilarious…good hilarious…

I hear what you're saying to a certain extent, but I think there's more to him than "yer man" etc, etc.

Yes, he can lay the pure Dub stuff on a bit thickly at times and maybe he wouldn't be as articulate, in some respects, as Dunphy, let's say - but I've never had an issue understanding anything he was trying to put across and I often think he's a very good communicator, who is able to vary his delivery: he can play up the pure Dub if he feels like it, but can get forensically detailed and into the nuances of things if called upon to as well.

He also absolutely smokes other pundits on tv in terms of being aware of what's currently happening in the game. As good and all as the likes of Dunphy and Giles were, they often had surprisingly little knowledge about the players or teams they were talking about. I don't know how you can accuse Kerr of relying on cliche - something I don't think is true - and not hold Giles - for whom football hadn't moved on since he stopped playing - into account in that regard!

Post edited by Arghus on

Born barrow boy, is our Brian.

The way the eyes narrow and the mouth clenches up.

Complete chancer who dug his way in from underneath.

That's the truth of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

He's quite likeable, that's the main thing afaic.

A humorous Kerrism .. he’s commentating live now on France vs Austria on RTE.

an Austrian player is booked, quite rightly in my opinion, crunching tackle from behind…no attempt to get the ball..just slowing down play.

Kerr : “sure that must be his first foul, referee confusing him with one of the other blondie fellas, there’s a couple of them out there”.

🤣

Him and Delaney are laying into England tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Judging by his serial "detractors" on Boards he annoys the right people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He comes across as very bitter, hasn't got a good word to say about Stephen Kenny presumably because he feels Kenny has been given more time in the job. Whether he has a case or not its very unprofessional to allow personal gripes into his job as an impartial pundit.

Top class pundit and commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

He's not there to be impartial. He's there to give his opinion.

And he certainly had praise for Kenny last night. Gave him credit for the way he set up the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

He could make a good Late Late show host?

Has he been Tommy Tiernan’s show? He’d be great for that.

Kerr has a major problem in that he talks too much in a nasal whine on co-com.

Takes over the mic to such a degree that one wonders what the ‘ commentator’ is there for..

Of course he would give Kenny credit for setting up the team well, big fhurking deal, what else could he say.

Semi-tolerable in the studio but unlistenable on co-com in my experience.

Reminds me of Del Boy in Only fools and Horses.

Nah mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement