Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Options

Comments

Brian Kerr: A Life in Football is on Virgin Media 2 at the moment. Interview with the great man on his contributions to soccer in Ireland. Fascinating so far. Long may we hear him as a pundit on TV and Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Thanks for the warning dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Big Brian Kerr was commentating the Everton - Spurs match today. Had a little giggle when he called Mason Holgate, Mason Colgate. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When you hear stuff like that you start to think he might be a bit long in the tooth for the auld commentary lark...

funny as the gaffes are is it’s one of the things that pisses me off about him... mispronunciations of players names, he does that in most matches, and for 90 plus minutes, he’s absolutely fûcked when the likes of Romania or Czech Republic are playing....basic punditry is knowing the players and being able to say their names ...a basic level of professionalism...not being able or caring enough to do it is just unprofessional and lazy... from time to time he gets flustered and says some shít like... ‘their number 7’

for the good he’s done Irish football on the sidelines , and that’s been plenty... he’s not a good pundit or co-commentator, gets players names wrong, mispronounces them,

also he told one time an anecdote about I think an Estonian or Latvian player as in during a PL game and critiqued him negatively from when Ireland played against him... the FA from that country wrote in to RTE saying...” sorry, that player wasn’t selected against Ireland “.

so, not great. I honestly think he’s probably a decent fella, but he’s a dreadful pundit/analyst....

Agreed…. Nothing personal but he shouldn’t be let near a mic, especially co commentary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Threw an eye over the Man U - Young Boys game (gay-am) larst nite...match commentators were quite good as was the anchor host...but the annalists Kerr and ..I think Richard Dunne....

Where do they get them ?

Can't take Kerr and his mangling of the Queens English and Dunne ..if it were he....is just not up to engaging the viewer.

VM Media would have a decent product if they had better annalists way behind RTE in that area.

Nevin, I think the boy Kerr has shaped up a bit, more annoying when on co-com. than as a pundit.

If I hear that it’s ….Bang! …off with the device.

This narrowing of the eyes and tightening of the lips bit like squinting into the camera does irk me biggo.

A kind of look that for me anyway seems to precede a “Lookit, you wouldn’t really know this not being a real grass roots football man” kind of statement.

If you get me drift. An offshoot of the ‘nod & wink’ kind of look.

Check it out…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dunne seems like a nice fella and I knew someone who played in a couple of Ireland’s underage sides with him who confirmed that but he seems too quiet and laid back for the whole co-commentary lark.... he’s new to it and might find a niche with experience..

Richard Dunne always looks like he has just been told some terrible life-changing news.

😯

Like he got a brown envelope from Ashton Gate?

• Advertisement

Don't mention the War Benny...A lether from the boy Howley with the big job over in the 'Gate would give even the hardest men a dose of the runnin skitters.

Knew a lad who was prone to a bit of "guntherin"...doin "this an that" if you catches my drift...anyways got the lether from the 'Gate an that was the end of him.

Big kick ass Jeep..Gone.....Golf Club membership..Gone .....Three "Sun Holiday's" a year....Gone....Premium Seats in Croker...gone !

Larst I heard of the chap he was flogging time shares in Portugal...

Ypu don't mess with the boys from the 'Gate.......

Yeah Dunne looks like he's trying to hold in a piss during a job interview.

I don't understand how he's gotten a punditry role. He does be on Premier Sports too. A week ago he was saying Utd have real problems in defence and midfield, but their attack is good. And last night he was saying he wouldn't rule them out of winning the Champions League.

Now we have to be fair to the boy, he did say that but they are still in it and so can win it.

He certainly gave me the impression that he thought they hadn’t a hope in hell of winning it .

But once one is still in, in one off games it’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

One would have to “fear” for attendances at League of Ireland games, Bohs and Rovers in particular, if United were to go on to win the Champions League.

The fickle ex-United “fans” would flock back to shouting at tv screens and pulling on the old, long neglected, jerseys if that happened.

Wouldn’t be putting any money on it, B but, like you said, if they’re in it they have a chance. Slim as that may be.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The great man is on now, this is fantastic.

He really should start a podcast. Interviews with former players, LoI personalities (thinking Roddy Collins, Pat Dolan, Damien Richardson etc), and the odd episode where he just rambles on about life in general. I'd listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

One of, if not the most intelligent football men I’ve seen in my lifetime. Met him in Malaga airport a couple of years ago when our flight was delayed. I was sitting looking at my phone and next thing he sat down opposite me. Struck up a conversation with him and after 5 minutes he sat next to me. Just chatting about football and then it turned into life in Ireland in general. He disappeared into the shop and came back with a big bar of Milka for the two of us to share.

People can say what they want about Kerr being annoying or whatever but if they just look past the accent they’d realise his understanding of the game. If he had Darragh Moloney’s accent he’d be the lead presenter on RTE football I’d put my house on it. How the (new) FAI or RTE aren’t employing him is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

United's second half was 'Broooo-il' according to Kerr. Like a team of teenagers was going to set the Champions League alight.

• Advertisement

The auld Duuuuube can’t handle the letter ‘t’ lad.

Several different versions of mashing that poor letter.

I accept Kerr may be a sound guy an all that....but I still have to make sure the Cider Flagon is out of reach if he shows up on the box.

Melts me ears..so he does.....

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Yeah, you’ve mentioned that a couple of times in your last few posts.

I'm sure your Ma used to say that young Niall fella is fierce observant ?

But...fair point Dude..

Hes gotten a gig in Pakistan for a few weeks, I hear.

Someone get that tool Kerr off commentary.

Ruining the game with that whine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't know the great man was on co-commentary duty tonight.

Fecksake 😔

Don’t know why McIntyre is giving him so much airtime.

Stick a sock in his gob.

Great to see Kerr becoming the main pundit on Virgin media TV and on Newstalk. The great man is an astute and knowledgeable pundit; a true student of the game, and has a wonderful turn of phrase.

• Advertisement

I know you are only trying to stir it up Doctor, as far as I am concerned if I hear the whine especially on co-com the auld zapper gets a fair auld dunt and peace and quiet is restored and the letter ‘t’ doesn’t get raped and pillaged.

Could’nt take that for a full gay-am Doc……..I have some standards, compadre.

Advertisement