Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish birthrate slumps 22% in a decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Actually, that's your problem. You claimed this article proved something, yet, it has no explicit links. It's an opinion piece. So, I call bullsh1t on it for now.

FWIW I did try 5 minutes of googling those studies, no luck.

But, feel free to post links that prove having children makes you live longer. Note: Proof. Not supposition. And, again, I think this arc of the Irish issue (as I think those studies were American?) probably belongs in the childfree by choice forum. But, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you might just be injecting a fair bit of your own standards into your considerations tbh 😁

There are plenty of people have none of the above, and it doesn’t appear to be any impediment whatsoever to their ability to reproduce and to raise their children.

Financial considerations are of course a priority for some people, they’re definitely not the priority for most people who have children, or it would be evident as you’re suggesting that the attitude of “if it happens, it happens, everything will fall into place”, wouldn’t be as prevalent as it still is in many cultures.

Instead what appears to happen in Western society at least, is that people take on crippling amounts of personal debt to fund their lifestyles, and then complain about the fact that they cannot cope with the financial cost of the lifestyle they have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's observation, not my own standards.

It's that "hand in mouth" lifestyle, and everything financed. Naturally any form of "cost of living crisis" hits those families hard, not only in Ireland, but also in the UK.

Also, it's to consider that inflation was rather high as well, during the Celtic tiger years, - albeit out of a different reason.

My point is that your observations are based upon your own standards. The attitude you referred to of “if it happens, it happens, everything will fall into place”, is clearly by no means outdated when national figures from the CSO would definitely suggest otherwise -

• 661,518 people in Ireland are living in poverty, of which 210,363 are children.
    • 133,627 people living in poverty are in employment; the “working poor”.
    • 781,794 people are experiencing deprivation, of which 250,956 are children.

https://www.socialjustice.ie/article/more-660000-people-poverty-2020-over-210000-are-children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

All arguments about the benefits/disadvantages of having children aside, I think the reality is that a lot of people who in a perfect world would have a few kids just aren't in a position to at the moment.

Just anecdotally, I'm a 31 year old woman (and gay, and not in any way inclined to have children personally), and the only friends my age who have children are the ones who fell pregnant accidentally in their mid-20s. Incidentally, none of them are college educated or particularly bothered about establishing careers. Any of my other friends who I met in college or after are currently childless. Several of them would love nothing more than to have a baby but just can't afford to, or are in precarious positions when it comes to their living arrangements. My best friend has always wanted to have as many babies as possible and is only just now, at the age of 32, thinking of possibly coming off contraception in the next year or so.

Rightly or wrongly I think that is a reality being reflected in the birth rate, and it may continue to be the case for a long while to come.

"I wonder how so many people can go through life believing in the unbreakable family bond. And how people genuinely think it’s fair to expect their children to look after them in old age. But there you go, we are all different."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I see. I’ll let you know once they want to get in touch with me.

Er, if someone posts a comment and has no references to substantiate it, and then complains to someone else because a source they post isn't of a high enough academic standard, they tend to look like a bit of a gom. Late in the day as it already is, you might want to try avoiding that.

Also, can you find what I said that "claimed this article proved something"? The actual text, not something you've imagined?

Why would I want to post links that prove having children makes you live longer? I never said it does. Perhaps you read my post too quickly. Why don't you try again? Perhaps more slowly this time?

And back on the first point, when you've stopped deflecting, let's get back to your own limitations. You posted a comment with nothing to back it up. Unlike mine, you made a definitive comment, with nothing whatsoever to back it up. Where's your evidence? No bullshit or further deflection, just a reference. You've just said you know how to use a search engine. Well, can you?

You simply don't know my standards, thus your statement has no real relevance here.

Some people love to plan parenthood a bit more, for others it just happens.

The attitude "if it happens, it happens and everything will fall into place" would have worked in a different time, in a different society. Maybe post war Germany, post war mainland western Europe, where things were very obvious improving and getting better.

In today's times it's wise to plan a bit more, especially financially.

• Advertisement

According to the CSO, the average age at which women had their first child in 2021 was 31.6, so if you're in or about that age then you would be likely to see women of your own age who are having their first children or maybe thinking about it, rather than to be in a peer age group who already have a child. But it is hard to tell from official statistics alone whether that's because they aren't in a position to have children at the moment. That age of first birth seems to have been gradually climbing in Ireland and in most developed countries for years and years, through good times and bad.

I DO know your standards, you were pretty bloody explicit about it 😂

Having children means money, money and again money, above everything else

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know what Klaz's situation is and it's not really my business. However, I'm also single and extremely likely to end up that way. I also have at least one family member with Dementia and if I were to go down the same path, I think I'd be doing a one way trip to Switzerland as well. Assisted suicide is something that will hopefully become more available as people get more control over their own lives and aren't forced to live with unbearable conditions.

I don't know how I'd feel about it but it's something I find myself compelled to properly consider even now.

Of course, I'm speaking solely for myself. Klaz can answer for themselves.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Which tends to cut into the time period for when women are most capable of having children, or the safety in doing so. My parents starting having kids when they were in their early 20s. My grandparents were the same or younger. That this generation is having their first kids at 30+ will seriously affect the overall birth rates.

At least, I am not one of those, who just wants children and doesn't care about anything else, and later on, complaining that life has gotten so expensive.

Ever put children through university? Or taken them on a holiday? Driver's license training? New computers every other year, new cellphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And that assumes healthy children. No disabilities either physical, mental or emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are no guarantees when it comes to children looking after elderly parents, it's a case of hoping they will help and many will do so. What's the alternative? State care services are in a shambles, acute hospitals, nursing homes, other residential homes, homecare. Outsourcing to the private sector who cut corners. Lack of effective oversight, numerous scandals and fcukups. Today's one involves foster care, we have one state agency (HIQA) criticising another state agency (TUSLA) over this. At least HIQA has a remit for this, despite a lot of talk from spoofer Varadkar and others over the years, homecare services for the elderly remain unregulated.

As a full time family carer for a parent myself, I have direct personal experience of this. I shudder to think how my parent would be treated if I wasn't around. I've also seen what has happened to uncles who were childless bachelors/widowers with no children to advocate for them. Having money helps but doesn't necessarily help as much as people think.

A lot of people are naive or don't think of the practicalities - "I won't burden my children", "I'll save my money and organise my own care", "I'll kill myself when I start to decline" etc. Doesn't work that way in reality.

Or the other way around. Somebody in the family, a father of 4, but himself struck with something terminal, him being the only provider in the family. You can imagine how that is like. This is tough at any rate, but with 4 children it's worse than with 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you were the child would you prefer to be there or not be there, to exist or not but exist

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Lots of people going on about how important it is to have kids to look after you in old age. Only an eejit would use this as the main reason to have kids, it should never be used as one of the big positives. These days having kids when your not fully ready for them could lead to a miserable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Bleak bleakness reading the last few posts.

When you get to the point where suicide seems like a reasonable course of action to accommodate the utter insanity of globalisation, you have to check yourself.

Take a step back, look at the forest of bullshyte, and declare, rightfully, "no, f*ck this", no more".

There's only so long and so far the pyramid scheme of this country can be tolerated. There'll be murders, metaphorical and otherwise, mark it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not globalisation. It's multitude of things, among them spineless governments refusing to adapt to a changing world.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

A lot of people are naive or don't think of the practicalities - "I won't burden my children", "I'll save my money and organise my own care", "I'll kill myself when I start to decline" etc. Doesn't work that way in reality.

Sure it does. Just that sometimes, for some people, it doesn't. There is no absolute (except for death), no guarantee, when it comes to what happens when we become old. For all the talk, you could easily be killed or die of cancer before any of these issues become relevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

No way, man. This is exactly what I meant about taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.

Look at the growing wealth of millionaires and billionaires, look at the shrinking wealth of everyone else. The numbers almost exactly overlap. It's crazy in it's transparency.

The name of the game is "globalisation".

Globalisation is a byword for pyramid scheme, totally and utterly reliant on migration to both suppress wages and simulataneously increase price pressure on commodified assets, nee your housing.

Housing has become increasingly more expensive in lock-step with migration into this country. Cause and effect.

This puts pressure on nearly everyone except the profiteers, this has a concomitant effect on relationships, marriage, stability, the opportunity to have children.

Birth rates decline lock-step with cost of having a family.

Next thing you know, you have people looking to the future, realising it's bleak as all f*ck, and suddenly the likes of assisted suicide becomes more palatable. Absolute insanity, and all for the sake of accommodating a pyramid scheme.

There are more steps in-between and everything can be expanded upon greatly, but that's the nuts and bolts. It's the truth of the matter, and no matter what bizarre points of view some people concoct to avoid the simplicity of this disaster, it will remain the truth.

It's going to explode, big time.

Just to add, your mention of "a changing world"....yes, precisely. This IS the changed world they promised, all sorts of people living side by side, cramped into shrinking facility and increased costs and growing hostility and rights for all and open borders and global exposure and the elimination of nation states. We're living the result of these things right now and it's dystopian.

You were told you wanted it, now you have it.

At least, I am not one of those, who just wants children and doesn't care about anything else, and later on, complaining that life has gotten so expensive.

Well good for you, but the point I was making is that you’re still introducing your own standards in order to conclude that the attitude you refer to is outdated, when it’s not. Y’know what also never goes out of date? Judging other people by your own standards.

And that’s not a criticism of you personally either btw, it just is what it is. I mean, I’m one of those people who just wants children and doesn’t care about anything else, and I still complain that life has gotten so expensive, because it has, and I knew long before I had children that the cost of living only goes one way - up, sometimes exponentially. One idea isn’t in conflict with the other.

People can prepare for both, and some people in spite of all their preparation, can be hit with a real curve ball they weren’t expecting. Again, it happens. It happened to my own family members, and even though we don’t get on (their attitude would be similar to yours), I still help them out, because they’re family. It doesn’t matter that they wouldn’t do the same for me if I were in their position. As far as I’m concerned, it’s what families are supposed to do for each other - support each other. The rest of my family don’t feel the same way, it is what it is, grand. I don’t care to judge them for that, because I understand why we think very differently.

To answer your questions though -

Ever put children through university? Or taken them on a holiday? Driver's license training? New computers every other year, new cellphones?

Yes, a couple of times. They weren’t my own children though, my own child is still only in fifth year, he’s not sure about whether he’ll study here or abroad. Either way financing his further education is the least of my concerns. I’m prepared for that, I worry about other things which could happen, but he doesn’t need that on his shoulders.

Once I think, I don’t really do holidays, my wife likes travelling to different countries takes our child with her. Covid stopped them in their tracks for a bit, but nobody was prepared for that.

Drivers licence trainings a bit random but no, I haven’t considered that one 😁 He’ll pay for that himself though, just like the way he’s eyeballing cars these days and he knows he has to save up for one himself. I’m not buying him a car!

Laptops and phones are a funny one because I don’t mind getting him anything that encourages his education, so I don’t mind getting him a new laptop for school. Phones are a bit harder to justify, but he tries all the same twisting my arm with the “it’s for my education” line. He’s happy out with my old phone which I gave him when I got a new second-hand one for myself. If he wants a new phone, he can pay for it himself.

All that is to say, that parents set the expectations and standards for their children, and each generation has higher expectations than the previous one. That’s why for example there is a substantial rise in the numbers of children availing of third level education than seen in previous generations. It’s less to do with cost of living or inflation or any of the rest of it - it’s entirely about setting expectations and standards. That’s why I made the point that you appeared to be injecting your own standards into your conclusions, but they’re generally not reflected in reality.

@Igotadose sorta hit on it inadvertently and the most influential factor in children’s development isn’t money, or the lack thereof. It’s the health and wel-being of their parents - emotional, mental and physical. The only thing that’s worse for children than having one parent who constantly stresses about money, is having TWO parents who constantly stress about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

The reality is that most working people can't afford large families. It costs more to rent than to pay a mortgage but many people can't get a mortgage and struggle to pay rent. A lot of people who have 1 or 2 kids are treading water, they need 2 incomes to do it. They've child care expenses on top of all of that and that's despite all of the grandparents taking cash in hand to look after the kids instead of parents having the private child care costs. Doesn't matter what the nationality age or demographic of working class people in Ireland is, many are struggling. The demographics with the most kids are usually very low income, social welfare lifers or ethnic minorities. I'm not attacking anyone I'm just pointing out the reality. Of course a lot of people just don't want kids and that's fine too. I notice quite a few of my younger neighbours in their early 30's are having their first babies, I think some people are just realising that they're running out of time for children and that things are going to get worse not better.

If low-income, social welfare lifers or ethnic minorities are having the most children, that’s an indication that it’s not a question of affordability, it’s a question of choice - working people aren’t having large families because they’re choosing not to have large families. Not because people can’t afford them, but because they have different priorities and make different choices for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

6 kids is the guts of 1000 euro a month in child benefit. If people are happy not to work and are happy in social housing paying a token rent of maybe 60 euro a week and social welfare payments on top of that then it's a choice to live on benefits. For them it's often about the handouts coming to more than working for a living on minimum wage. For a working couple trying to work, afford a car, rent/mortgage payments, fuel bills, food and clothing it's often out of reach to have more than one kid. But I'm not going to get into it with you, you're one of those with a fetish for the minority and contempt for your own so I won't waste my time banging my head against the wall. You should be able to acknowledge the positives and the negatives but you never do, for you it's always a kind of patronising attitude towards minorities not really being capable of anything bad through some sort of lack of personal agency on their part. A little bit racist really.

I used Instagram to illustrate my point of having children being a lifestyle choice along the lines of 'what will having a child bring me', rather than 'what can I give to a child'.

These are just thoughts and musings of mine that I wonder about. I also wonder about the taboo of regretting having children. It's something that isn't ever spoken about. Is that because it doesn't exist? That the love you will experience overcomes any negative feelings? What if you don't like your child? Is that even a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I think another factor people tend to overlook is that, beyond the financial considerations, there are also social considerations that I think have emanated from the way in which the Irish economy has changed (i.e. the shift towards professional services, tech and science etc). There are simply a lot more young Irish people now pursuing more demanding and involved careers that often take them a long time to establish themselves in — and once they have made those sacrifices and done the hard yards they want to enjoy themselves a bit.

I’m 31 and in a relationship, living with the girlfriend (30), but neither of us feel compelled to have kids yet. While the financial consideration is one thing, it’s absolutely not the primary motivator. Personally, I spent my twenties jumping through the various hoops of demanding office work, long hours, exam after exam after exam. A lot of that meant foregoing trips and other things I might otherwise have done. Now that I’ve kinda established my career, I want to be able to enjoy the fruits of the hard work and having a bit more money to take time off and travel etc over the next few years. Realistically it means that two kids, if any, will probably be the height of it.

Advertisement