Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish birthrate slumps 22% in a decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What Wibbs posted is anecdotal too. I’m telling you that almost all the residents that I knew with family, had regular visits from their children. My parent died last year. We went to an anniversary mass last month in the nursing home. Most of those same families are still there supporting their relatives.

Of course everybody knows to plan for their own retirement. You would have to be an idiot not to. However, the pervasive cynicism propagated by people on this forum, doesn’t hold true in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How do those on welfare manage it?

They have the most children and are keeping them going somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Which is why you should plan for your 'elderly' years. My anecdotal experience matches Wibbs. TBF, it was in the US which makes a lot of money via elderstorage.

Contraception ftw. Strangely enough, when Reagan took over and later Clinton, and federal welfare support dropped, sizes of families receiving welfare shrank. Of course, abortion was widely available the in the US, too.

Having offspring has always been a big economic decision. When the value of the offspring is less than the cost, the family size shrinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I wonder how so many people can go through life believing in the unbreakable family bond. And how people genuinely think it’s fair to expect their children to look after them in old age. But there you go, we are all different.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying that you shouldn’t plan for your later years. I know nothing about elder care in the US.

My experience is in Ireland. I also have colleagues in a similar situation. I don’t know of anybody who has abandoned an elderly parent.

Do you know parents with large families where only 1 or two children visit? I certainly do in Ireland. Plenty in fact, I'd say the majority (with 3 or more children that I'm aware of.) At best they have the eldest daughter as caregiver, something she was raised to do. Nice, eh?

And I wonder how some people can’t understand that some children are happy to take on that responsibility. Again, many of us come from happy and loving homes. We want to be there for our parents. Our family is the most important thing in our lives.

You don’t understand that- fine. Do I expect my own children to look after me? No; I don’t. However, by providing them a happy and loving childhood, I do hope that we will have a lifelong relationship.

There’s nothing moronic about any of this. It’s a dynamic that’s replicated across countless families.

I know in my own family all 5 children visited multiple times per week, ensuring the parent was visited daily.

I suspect that I’m a lot younger than you and don’t know many people from large families. The people I know with a couple of siblings make the effort to visit as much as possible.

Anecdotal I know, but that’s been my experience.

“And I wonder how some people can’t understand that some children are happy to take on that responsibility.”

Nobody is “happy” to take on this responsibility. They do it out of duty and a guilty conscience..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

"Something wrong somewhere?"

Have you not seen the price of rent and housing? Years of conservative policy have led to this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Rubbish. People do it because they love their parents and want to be around them in their final years.

Personally, I can assure you that my family was very happy to be around our parent in their final years. We are all fully aware of how much they did for us and wanted to repay that in some small way.

I’m going to leave it there as I believe that you and I have very different outlooks on family and life experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Or maybe they love their parents. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A better life to those on welfare than those paying the bulk of income tax is not a symptom of "conservative policy"

To refer to Fine Gael as "Conservative" is laughable.

I have a huge amount of experience of this precise scenario over the last 7 years as a result of one of my parents being afflicted with cognitive decline. My siblings and I have also come to know many of the other families in the same situation. I can assure you that the scenario I’ve outlined in the first paragraph is very common.

Yes, it is very common. It's also very common that the parents are put into a nursing home and forgotten. Or the parents are put in and the "children" struggle with the extra costs involved. Or simply that the parents don't end up in a nursing home, and are essentially left to fend for themselves.

There are plenty of good people out there but the flip side is equally true. There is no guarantee that through the process of raising children, that they will turn out well, will respect you, and will feel any obligation to either support you later or maintain good relations later.

I know adults in their 40s who hate what their parents did to them. (not me, I adore my parents)

I feel desperately sorry for the older people with no family. We always try to have a short conversation with them and try to bring a smile to their faces. It must be excruciatingly lonely to live out your final days with no family. Whilst not all children will step up, chances are that if they live locally, or indeed live in Ireland, they will be around fairly frequently.

What you described is possible, but then, for those who were single, and didn't have children themselves, there's no expectation for such a family. Oh, I can see moments of loneliness involved, but there are other forms of family, through the descendants of brothers/sisters. There's friends and their children. There's simply friends (both new and old).. and lastly, there's people who are comfortable with being alone. Those that don't need that kind of contact you keep referring to.

I know which outcome I’d prefer.

Me too and it doesn't involve having my own children. @Hamachi , you and I know each other pretty well from posting here.. do you really think that my eyes are covered about what it would be like? And yet, I don't see having children as being the only possible answer, which is what your posts seek to suggest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes it is by virtue of choking housing supply to suit investors and NIMBY's.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Calling people "morons" is a bit much. Everybody here is trying to predict a future they can't possibly foresee. Some people are hoping that when they reach their old age everything will work out for them re: kids looking after them in their own home. Others are hoping that when the time comes they can just pick an old folks home and everything will be hunky dory there too.

Either way is a fantasy because the simple fact is is that we have no idea what the circumstances will be when, or if, we reach an age where we'd need full time care. I certainly had no idea when my old pair reached that particular age bracket. I always figured they'd drop dead of something before the old folks home scenario happened. They certainly didn't live very healthy lifestyles to justify the ages they reached, especially the old man who'd be 96 this year if he'd hadn't kicked the bucket in 2016. Both of them smoked like troopers, even my mum who'd had a triple bypass too because of her habit and didn't stop. She was hooked up to R2D2 to help her breathe for the last 10 years of her life. That they got to the age they did was a surprise to say the least.

In any case, me and my sister just weren't able to give everything up and look after the pair of them in their own home. Giving up work for 5 years in the case of my mum or 10 years in the case of dad just wasn't an option. And it won't be an option for the vast majority of people either. It's a nice idea, but it just isn't practical in most cases. So they had to go into a home. Where, in fairness, they received excellent care and wanted for nothing. But then again, my folks were always make do'ers. Probably something they learned during the war and it stuck. They'd little in the way of airs and graces and weren't particularly demanding in most respects. So once they had settled with the idea of the old folks home, they just got on with the remainder of the lives.

And that is the reality of old age for more people than not. If there's a situation whereby children can give up ex amount of their own years to look after a parent(s) then that's grand. But it simply won't be happening for the bulk of people. And that goes double if there are mental issues to consider too, like dementia or Alzheimers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Re:being taken care of at the end of life. It's all about modelling. My parents took care of their parents and their children simultaneously, I was alive to see that, we even moved a granny into the house, therefore I take care of my parents, its an internal family social contract that has not been broken for generations. A family group is strengthened by the strong(working age) supporting the weak(young and old). Now you can break that tradition but then you are just an individual with very little purpose apart from self gratification and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You are to be commended, one of my sisters is married ( 41 ) ,has a great legal career in Dublin but never wanted children, spent years single before finding someone who felt the same, happily married now , great auntie to my two terrors

Nothing whatsoever wrong with choosing not to be a parent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....we have completely made a mess of things, largely due to flawed political and economic ideologies, of which we re now experiencing a collapse of....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly.

A lot of people have to hock themselves into debt until they are OAP's themselves just to buy a house these days and it takes two to do it. The idea that that can just be abandoned to take care of a parent or parents is just dreaming. Chuck in a kid as well and dear old mum and dad are destined for the old folks home no matter what. That's option A, because option B is simply untenable.

And all that happens if they're lucky enough too. A lot of people will never even come close to owning a home the way things are.

We've destroyed the idea of family in a lot of western countries. We've destroyed a lot of the old concepts. There's no "society" any more, there's just "economies". People aren't people, they're "taxpayers". And it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I'm single, childless, and it's highly unlikely that I will have kids before I lose the ability. I'm perfectly fine with getting old alone, and have considered most angles involved in it.. and I'm happy to help my parents as they get old. At the same time, I have no desire to place an obligation on others to take care of me as I get older.

As an individual knowing my own circumstances, I'll be prepared.. Although to be brutally honest, I'm far more likely to fly off to a country with legal assisted suicide, and kill myself before I grow that old. Dunno why anyone would bother continuing with all the associated problems of old age, when they're not living for someone else. I plan on killing myself around 75-80.. but if I don't do it, I'll have the monetary resources to support myself completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Crony capitalism more than conservatism

Conservative policies are not subsidies direct to developers to build apartments, nor are they extra money to the unemployed in every budget.

Our government are useless, cronys, serving vested interests, but the idea they are conservative is fairly laughable.

Yep. You either give people a benefit to replace lost earnings from work to take care of a loved one or you pay a professional who's more likely to be a foreigner. It's that simple.

Conservatives have destroyed the family unit for their own greed while screaming incoherently that their political opponents have done so by saying words. This is just the chickens coming home to roost. You can't tell people to live within their means and then complain when they do so. I can't afford my own place so I rent. Because I can't afford my own place, it would be absurd for me to bring another human life into this world. Simples.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its starting to collapse now, hopefully theyll be light at the end of the tunnel, but i some how think it aint gonna be easy! what a mess!

not only is there just tax payers, but debtors to, and it aint working! get ready, for something!

Same thing more often than not.

Allowing an ever shrinking proportion of the population to shut down attempts at others getting ahead while funding their lavish lifestyles is unjust. A blind person could have seen where this is heading.

H. H. Asquith

Jaysus lads I wouldn't be expecting kids to look after me in my old age but it would be nice to at least possibly have someone in my corner. My mother e.g. had a letter from a mortgage company threatening legal action over <€100 arrears on the mortgage. She (unfortunately) went straight to Citizens' Advice who immediately had her in more of a panic. Once she mentioned it to me I calmed her down and rang the mortgage company. When I had sorted it I asked the operator to make a note of a bit of a complaint about going nuclear on a pensioner over a tiny debt.

Similarly my mother is a carer for my uncle who lives nearby. He gets dialysis 3 times a week. Little over a month ago he fell and broke his knee leaving the hospital. My mother helps him with food and light cleaning, a niece is down 3-4 days a week etc and he'll get a few other visitors through the week. I dunno, I've always found it very odd with large/medium families who just leave people to wither but that's just me. I can understand smaller families, can think of a mate who's granny was in a nursing home (had 2 kids, one abroad, one in her 60s and renting) and she would visit a few times a week and try to get her out once a week, but covid put paid to that. Though even before that they did their best to make it as awkward as possible.

I dunno, the cynical "they'll look after me" thing just seems over the top to me. If I needed constant medical attention I'm not expecting family to do it. If I could do with someone popping in a few times a week to check in then yeah, I'd hope among all my kids they could make time. 🤣 There's a lot we could and should be doing for older people but we can barely keep healthy people alive so it'll be a long, long time before any of it is addressed.

EDIT: Example of someone in your corner. Have a family member who's terminal. I know there'll be people who just love the book but anyway. She's got weeks to live and other than when a family member (and not all are cool) will pretty much tell the staff to feck off while they wheel her out for a tiny bit of enjoyment she's lying in a bed waiting to fuckin die.

@Tony EH

of course it’s a fantasy, which is why it is nothing but naive to believe with absolute certainty that your offspring will have the same mindset that you tried to instil in them.

As I said: a rude awakening for many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its funny how, until you have your own children, you really don't realise what that bond feels like.

I've never felt such strong emotions as when our first child got ill during a summer holiday abroad and the utter feelings of panic, despair and sadness as he could barely make a whimper. He got better and we've had two more since but the memory stuck with me. Our youngest who is six wont leave the house for school without declaring "morning hug" at the top of her lungs everyday :)

Other peoples kids well, its hard to feel the same, but that's the point.

My wife works as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home and she commented before on how sad it is to see the residents there that never get any visitors and spend their last days alone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement