Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish birthrate slumps 22% in a decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What a bleak, miserable worldview. My wife and I are fortunate to be blessed with two beautiful children, with a third on the way. We would both be happy to have more. Best thing that’s ever happened to both of us and brings immense joy every day.

The entire western world is below replacement fertility, as is most of East Asia. Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and China are all facing demographic collapse, due their extraordinarily low birth rates.

Birth rates in Latin America, the Middle East, the Maghreb, and India are all tumbling, hovering barely above replacement level. In fact, many southern Indian states are already sub replacement.

The only region with explosive population growth is sub-Saharan Africa. That’s where you should be focusing your messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

How do you figure that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

Because for many couples a 2nd job is mandatory..... and not by choice. Quite simply, mortage, cost of living etc, require two salary's. And all these figures will go out the window when a baby comes along. At a guess monkeybutter, I'd say you don't have any children yet?

I have more than a few children myself

Somehow I make it work

So far they have been cheap enough, what with all the children allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

It seems the government want to offset the costs of childcare/schooling against the pensions by using Anti-Natalist policies to keep birthrate at 1.6 and to then just import migrants to keep the Pension ponzi scheme going.

• Advertisement

It's not bleak and miserable; it's a fact.

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no limit to what the planet can reasonably - and I emphasize the word, reasonably - hold?

Nobody is denying you the opportunity to have children. Work away.

But the harsh reality is that population decline is not only inevitable, but actively desirable.

It's better for the planet; it's better to ration already limited resources; it's better for the climate question - on virtually every metric.

And this will be achieved naturally, anyway. It won't be forced by governments, in other words.

I think this is more an issue with the states pension scheme in general rather than some grand plan

Like the politicians of today don't have to deal with their mistakes

Wasn't the whole "having babies is bad for the planet" thing based on dubious science?..

It's one of the most depressing things to see people come out with tbh..

The planet has a carrying capacity, and ignoring that - or trying to exceed it - only leads to deleterious consequences.

Nobody needs a PhD graduate to issue a white paper to know that.

David Attenborough was forced to apologise when he brought up African birthrates when speaking about climate change and over population. Something about it being racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

And generally, in Country's that can least afford them .....Pakistan's population in 1947 ( at foundation ) was 75 million, now 74 years later it has risen to 230 million. Its already an out of control problem, which is getting worse all the time. They are trying to limit it now to a max of 240 million, but even if they succeed, it will still be unmanageable.

Demographers are predicting that the global population will peak in 2060 and will be in stat-sig and inexorable decline by 2100. My children will likely live to see this happen.

Like I said, the only global region with explosive birth rates in 2022 is sub-Saharan Africa. If you are having sleepless nights about this, that’s where you should be focusing your efforts. Educate women there, make effective contraception widely available, promote abortion.

If the political will existed, birth rates there could be curbed within a decade or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

“All in all statistics reveal a social convergence between Ireland and the rest of Europe.”

They really don’t. Ireland is still well above the EU average in terms of our fertility rate -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30910812.html

If contraception was available in our grandparents time I very much doubt they'd have had the usual catholic family of 7+ kids.

Ahh it’s less about contraceptives, cars and climate change, but of course there is a human element to birth rates. Large families were just as rare in our grandparents time as they are now. The idea of producing the next generation of little hurlers that would make up a whole team was far more in play than the idea of women in employment. That changed around the 60’s, and was even more evident in the 70’s when Ireland joined the EEC and the marriage bar was lifted -

In 1961, when the population of Ireland was at a historically low level of 2.8 million persons, the number of persons in employment was 1,053,000. Females accounted for 26.4 percent of these. By 1996 the number of women at work had increased by 226,000, representing an increase of 81.5 percent, while male employment increased by only 28,100. The period 1996 to 2001 was one of unprecedented employment growth (greater than 29.2%). At the end of this period women accounted for 40.9 percent of total employment. Furthermore, about 45 percent of these working women were married. The corresponding figure in 1971 was only 14 percent. The labor-force participation of Irish women has now reached the European norm. In 2001 the figure for Ireland was 47.5 percent compared with an overall European Union figure of 47 percent.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/international/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/family-fertility-marriage-and-family-1950

Were I only to use my own circle of friends as examples, we definitely don’t move in the same circles as many of them have three, four and more children. One couple had two more children between them after getting together and she has four children from previous relationships. All children are below the age of 12. That’s just one example of the many blended families I’m aware of. That’s even before we get into the idea of couples availing of IVF and having multiple births in one go, which does come with it’s own peculiar set of issues -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/ivf-twins-and-triplets-behind-increase-in-low-birth-weights-38116816.html

The idea of the family itself, has changed a great deal since our grandparents time.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

Me and my missus are mid 30’s and don’t intend to have any kids. Quite a few of our friends are the same. We could win the lotto tomorrow and it wouldn’t change our minds, we just don’t want any. I would say there are multiple factors at play in the declining birth rate but I imagine it’s a lot to do with people, women in particular, no longer being confined to limited opportunities and being able to do what they want rather than what is expected of them.

When Sir David Attenborough has to be forced to apologise for talking about the natural world, you realise how bent to demented the hard-left have become.

The world population.. and the major populated areas are those least capable of supporting themselves, and are generally supported by Western nations to continue in size. Declining populations in Europe are not going to off-set that, as the numbers in Africa, and Asia are far more than Europe and will cover any losses by those migrating to Europe by having more themselves.

Actually most were complaining about the rising costs in Ireland... however, I'll tackle immigration with you. In the vast majority of cases, where migrants come from significantly different cultures (non-European) intermarriage is uncommon. That's even more so the case when religion is mixed into things, and while Europe has gone down the road of religious decline, the rest of the world, apart from SE Asia (and other western nations) has gone the other way. Immigration from most 3rd world nations is not going to result in a mingling of Irish with other national/cultural groups. As such, by advocating modern immigration, you're encouraging greater diversity in the country. Which is fine, except that the negatives are coming very clear now.

Sweden, the poster child for multiculturalism and mass immigration, is tightening their immigration laws, and also putting more requirements on the ability of foreign groups to become residents or gain citizenship. Denmark is doing likewise. France has had a political shift, with the primary focus being on dealing with the failures of integration, and the social unrest coming from a diverse population. Even Germany has begun to tighten their immigration laws, and are talking about limiting foreign populations. Both Spain and Italy are struggling with their diverse populations, with massive wealth inequalities, and organised crime being a serious problem. The US is a mess with different ethnic groups competing against each other, and we've all seen where the UK has gone. So.. why would anyone champion modern immigration? Unless, of course, they've got their hands over their eyes, and are refusing to deal with the realities of a changing world.

Natural and controlled immigration relating to skilled/educated migrants who meet the demands of the host nations economy, works. Somewhat. The limited numbers don't matter because they remain a definite minority, even with their own children being born (typically migrant families are larger than western families). So.. stick with that kind of immigration. However, this focus on mass immigration with people who are ill-equipped to live and support themselves in a first world nation is utterly retarded and irresponsible.

The Irish moved to countries with little to no social supports. They were forced to support themselves, and their families... that's not really the case with Ireland today, is it? The counter of the Irish migrating abroad is badly considered because it ignores the differences between both the composition of those migrating but also where they migrated to.

But no doubt you will dismiss all this, continue throwing out the belief that Irish people shouldn't ever complain about immigration because some Irish migrated. Oh. Btw.. you do realise that a greater percentage of Irish people remained in Ireland throughout all major periods of Irish emigration? They didn't migrate, so, surely they have the right to complain about it... some simple logic there.

It’s a message that needs to be reiterated time and time again. Lower African birth rates and the global fertility rate is scarcely at replacement level.

Of course, this logical message isn’t palatable in the current climate. Instead, you’ll have the usual morons droning on about zero population growth, in countries with sub-replacement fertility.

That's a great post. As an enemy of mass immigration, I think what you've posted is both fluent and logical. Irrefutable, actually.

I think you've missed one very important point, though. We often talk about mass immigration from the perspective of the recipient country - in our case, Ireland. The value that migrants may or may not bring to Ireland etc.

But we forget the damage that mass emigration has caused to the host country. To take one example: Lithuania.

In a quarter of a century, since the early 1990s, Lithuania lost more than one-fifth of its residents (a rapid decrease from 3.7 million in 1989 to 2.9 million in 2015), which makes it one of the countries with the greatest population decline in the world.

So whilst richer countries are absorbing ever more migrants, we should sometimes think of the damage this can cause to host countries where these twin issues of population decline and 'brain drain / essential skills' effects come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Summitatem

... not for wasters though. Many taxpayers find it too expensive but if you are housed at the taxpayers expense and also get pocket money it's extremely affordable to have loads of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Eh no, how could it be dubious science? It's simple fact that every additional human required additional resources. A human baby will go through about a tonne of nappies for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It was indeed -

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/future-perfect/2020/2/13/21132013/climate-change-children-kids-anti-natalism

The issue isn’t one of overpopulation, it’s one of overconsumption among the existing population.

- Sent from my iPhone

Actually the Irish birth rate increased 4% YoY in 2021, with particularly strong growth in QRs 3&4. Early numbers from QR1 suggest further growth in 2022. The Irish population grows naturally ( births-deaths) by 25K to 40K every year.

With all due respect, your experience is only representative of your small cohort of friends. I’m late 30s, my wife is early 30s. Everybody we know has multiple children. I am the eldest of 5, my brother has 3, my sister has 3, we’re expecting a third. My two youngest sisters are still in their 20s and single. My wife has 3 siblings with 10 kids between them.

People with same the family setups and outlooks, tend to inhabit each others’ orbits.

Not one thing you said has cracked that chestnut

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

Well I’m not speaking for the entire country here, just my own experience which is all anyone can do. We have no intention of having kids which we can do now without having to justify it to family or friends. Were we born 30 years earlier we’d have limited opportunities and options. As it is even if we did want children we can limit it to one or two. We actually both come from large families too - 7 kids in mine and my partner is one of 12! - and that experience was definitely an influence in our decision to have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That increasing birth rate is a 3rd world issue.

I'd hazard a guess folk in the 3rd world are unlikely to understand the issue like you do

The 1st world isn't replacing itself.

Another issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Better education, easier access to contraception, changes to a woman's role in society, cost of childcare. So many factors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A woman's reason for being is to have children.

If you look at it just from a natural point of view a woman going through life not having children is a failure, an anomaly.

We need to encourage people to have more children and we to stop the nonsense that there is somehow something wrong with being a stay at home mother.

There is a whole societal delinquency at work here that's against what nature intends - child bearing is just one of the issues but there are many distortions going on that down the road will see future generations in a very grim place.

• Advertisement

The nihilist lifestyle that's being promoted in western countries has another big part to play in it in my opinion.

Advertisement