Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Joe Canning had plenty of interaction with him today (JC is part of the backroom team) and his older brother being Evan Niland (anyone that has brothers knows being better than them is a natural want in life!!) He has a couple of decent role models/motivators over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Typical Galway performance vs Dublin. Play down to their level and be shocked when they get caught out at the end. Terrible mental attitude when you see what KK did to them last week.

Only person playing is Johnny Murphy. Septic game so far.

Dublin physio clocking up savage milage breaking up the play.

Much improved second half. Eanna Murphy's puckouts/distribution becoming a big asset.

Full back line very solid. Grealish had his best game. Turned over a lot of ball good use of the ball. Daithí is Daithí best around. P. Mannion moved to the full back line to allow Morrissey man mark Dolan Burke. Close to my man of the match after Whelan.

Half back line struggled a little especially on Dublin first half puckouts where they found pockets of space. Morrissey stuck to his task well but Donal Burke got a few points off him. F. Burke/GMc struggled to get Involved.

D. Burke. Good with the bad again. On plenty of ball some good but plenty of wasted possession. Seemed a serious enough injury he hobbled off with. Monaghan poorest game but still ok. Better second half when switching to his more normal half forward position.

J Cooney couple of points. Played well. Solid. Concannon was ok (Jesus he slips a lot in the last two games) Fahy struggles a little. C. Mannion much better when switching back to midfield. Classy scores.

Whelan. Unreal. Scored 5 won a couple more frees and the penalty. Man of the match.

C. Cooney. Became Galways second highest championship scorer ever. As involved as ever. Scored one from play along with frees but still missed 1-4 from placed balls. (Penalty and four frees)

Need to improve again overall for Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Leinster hurling final will throw in at 7pm on Saturday 4th June. Gaa not exactly making easy for those planning to attend, especially those bringing youngsters. There is the potential for Extra Time too, as there must be a winner on the day. Surely this match should be throwing in a couple of hours earlier🤔🤔

People can make an argument for C.Cooney holding a starting position(frankly I wouldn't play him and he generally scores less than 50% of his shots from play) but nobody could argue he should be left on frees and penalties.. he's going to end up costing us a game at some point(kinda already did with the Wexford game).

Like the U20 game a few weeks ago he seemed to have the ball too close to the line, why don't players have the cop on to pull it back so you can step into it fully and follow through instead of trying to stop at the line.

Nobody will score every free or penalty but let's say 1-2 was thrown away, that's a lot of points to be leaving behind in a KO competition.

I'm not sure why Niland isn't being picked for the frees alone. If there's a potential for 5 extra points onto your total that has to be worth one jersey from 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Niland looks very light for the modern game unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laymansterms

Niland's time as a starter will come. He has been a stand out player at college, club and minor level. Conor Whelan was a bit light when he started playing senior too and Niland can look to him as an example in his development.

It looks like Henry is a fan of Cooney's work rate and as we have all been saying for years, Cooney is unstoppable on his day! In defence of his frees on saturday, the wind (again) was very hard to judge. There was a lot of wides on both sides.

Jason Flynn also got game time again. Henry must really like him. I wonder will we see him start sooner rather than later?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laymansterms

This is spot on!!! I would have no issue with the time if there was a good reason for it. Is it for saturday night TV? This time is more suited to lads making a night of it and heading into town afterwards (and yes, I am only jealous of them). Surely a 5pm throw-in would suit everyone?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Cos20

Hi all, long shot but looking for 4 tickets for Sundays Connacht final for 2 adults & 2 kids (anything considered). We have Galway season tickets but I mistakenly thought that payment was automatically taken from my card & we got the tickets. Just realised that’s not the case so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

match at 7 for sky viewing. some time if u fancy staying over and a night out in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I presume it's stand only you need correct? Be no issues getting terrace on ticketmaster.

No I’m looking for terrace tickets, cant see any available on Ticketmaster.

Got them, more released this morning. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Good stuff. I'd be surprised to see 18k at this one tbh so was thinking it was a ticketmaster issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'd be surprised to see less than that, given that Sunday should be fine, the occasion itself and that both teams feel they have momentum. Traffic is of course the big drawback.

Yes Ticketmaster issue, seems to be loads available now, even good stand tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Team for sunday 🤔

• Advertisement

With Fla still injured and Patrick Kelly starting (he's a great baller aside) I'd imagine this looks like bulking up for an aerial battle in the middle third. Most of the rest picks itself. Plenty of legs on the bench with Paul Kelly, O' Laoi, Gallagher, Conneely on the bench.

Minor hurlers on TG4 YouTube channel for anyone not here enjoying the sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Good win... But came mighty close to blowing it...

Competitive game. Would like to watch it back. Felt some strange decisions. Laois fans in the stand felt they were very hard done by. Hard to tell. Offaly were favourites before a ball was thrown in in this minor championship probably the same after thos round Robin with Galway a close second. Munster seem a bit behind.

Get in there lads.. Btw would it kill gbfm to start their coverage of a connaught final maybe 15 mins before throw in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fitzmaurice as co commentator on the box……bang……offf……. Will stick to radio.

I knew I heard a drone somewhere.

Stoppit Gleeson for heavens sake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Good performance. Only 2 or 3 with subdued performances. Most played very well.

Letting Roscommon control the game in the final quarter like we did Mayo is a worry. Really should have driven the advantage home and put them away. I think it will catch them out against a real top team.

Our biggest weakness is our kick outs on both ends, we let teams off with easy short ones and zero movement so kick a lot long.

This then feds into the late revival as we take even longer to kick it out which always means a long one and the opposition can start to build momentum if they get the breaks.

We might be able to get away with it in the quarter and (potential) semi but it will probably cost us against Dublin/Kerry.

• Advertisement

When the subs came on the team lost their shape a bit, last goal put a gloss on the result for Ros, they never looked like winning in fairness, 2 goals made the difference... Wan on rte said molloy was one of her picks for motm,ah stop if it wasn't Walshe it should have been Finnerty imv.. Lost a few long kickouts need to work on that,don't be lettin the opposition jump on our backs in twos , watch for the breaks... Gleeson has work to do but its all fixable

Advertisement