Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Pathetic scoring.

9 points in the first half.

6 in 30mins of the second.

Keep fouling needlessly out the field so TJ can bang frees all day.

No goals again and butcher chances.

Nearly as many wides as scores.

As bad as 2021 performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Same failings since the start of the league. Long ball bullshít either from puckouts or clearances from defence. Hit and hope. Forwards getting no better than 50/50 chances at possession. Playing Kilkenny hurling against Kilkenny. It's idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Best of 3?

Didn't even top 9 points in the second half... It's beyond bad.

I'm sick of saying Conor Cooney shouldn't play. Not even counting his woeful two free misses but he must have hit 3 wife's from play and gave Concannon an awful pass for his goal miss.

There was literally nothing there to be positive about.

Cooney was far from our worst performer. Fahy not up to it. Monaghan after weeks playing well in midfield got shifted to wing forward and it didn't suit him.

It wasn't personnel that was our downfall, it was the tactics. It hasn't suited us, it doesn't suit us and it won't suit us. Lobbing ball in on top of whelan and concannon when their strengths are in pace and turn is just a silly misuse of players. Cathal Mannion, one of the most talented players in the country being used as a glorified sweeper, when he should be pulling the strings in the middle 3rd. It's not maximising your resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Robson99

One of the most dissapointing days in a long time

Tactics were dreadful in the second half. Aimless ball down on top of a crowded half back line. Zero pace in the middle third and never broke the tackle. Surprised they took off Fahy before Concannon

Playing Cathal Mannion way too deep. Need him from our 65 up. One of the best shooters in the country and we not able to get him into positions to score . And feck this craic of marking space and not the player. Criminal

Excellent performances from Daithi, P Mannion & Whelan.

Afraid Corks stickwork and pace will kill us

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laymansterms

Monaghan was named at midfield but mostly played in half forward line all year. Either way, he had his worst game in a long time.

Yesterday was very disappointing but I wouldn't agree that it was as bad as last year. We just never got going, aimless ball, handling errors. We also have a habit of taking the ball needlessly into a challenge. Joseph Cooney was out on the wing where KK were delighted to see him. He was out of the game for large portions. Surely he should've been moved to midfield.

As has been said, Whelan, Dáithí, p. Mannion all positives. No goal conceded either. I really hope this team stands up the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Ye have the better record against Cork in the championship since 2008. My fear is that Galway would have too much physical strength for Cork. Both teams can blow hot and cold, but Cork have to beat Antrim first! Henry Shefflin on the sideline adds an interesting angle to it as well.

Great players don't necessarily make great managers though, and i think Galway made a mistake going outside the county for their last two managers. Ye replaced a native Galweigan all Ireland winning manager in Michael Donoghue with an outsider, and that outsider was then replaced by another outsider. That just doesn't make sense to me at all!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭testtech05

The ref in thurles is letting a lot of stuff that would have been pulled up last go but even apart from that the intensity and hits is a different level today.

Not at all surprised Leitrim beat this minor team.

3 point first half and every way as bad as the hurlers or the U20 footballers earlier this year.

Weird how Galway seem to give these performances at levels far above any other similar sized county.

It's almost 50% of our games yield low scoring, high error and unstructured play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

No cutting edge in the forwards. That being said they should have had a penalty. Is 14 the normal free taker?

If this is the best 15 minors in the county god help us. Young lads but I've never seen such brainless stuff. I'd expect more from an u12s club team.

6 points in 60mins is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Minors have been very poorly coached under the current management. Actually don't think there is a huge difference talent wise between Galway and Mayo at minor this year but you can see that Mayo have a defensive system, structure and a game plan in place while with Galway it's very off the cuff type stuff.

Worst part was the 24th minute. We had a kick out. FB line stood in position clogging up space.

Out the field the rest bunched and broke off.. I think it was the Galway 6 that ran at the GK completely free with a large gap to kick it through(wasn't a small gap that needed accuracy).. he ended up just banging it into a crowded pack and we won a lucky free.

They looked light on talent but looked like players who hadn't received any coaching at all... Decision making and execution was beyond poor.

It reminded me a bit of watching the Michael Hogan Cup on YT during the week, Galway and Tipp which was a B competition (but allowances are obviously given when these are lads below number 30)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Minors somehow beat Dublin today then ….. hard make much sense of it all.Anyway good luck to them in semi final .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Was delighted for them. For such a talented bunch the wheels really fell off. Even today so much went wrong. I'd say close to the worse penalty I've ever seen plus three other goal chances left behind. But they dug in and got a morale boosting win. Hopefully they can push on again. But Dublin played a similar brand of football as Galway and the open spaces suited. Mayo drop everyone deep and up to now Galway haven't been able to handle it. If Galway get past Derry be no bad thing if it wasn't Mayo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

An absolute pig of a draw. The 1 of 3 we really wanted to avoid. Only respite is it will give serious momentum if they do get over it. Will probably be very slight underdogs going into this one though. Very irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's a tough draw but if they have genuine ambitions to win an all Ireland they need to be able to beat big teams. I have a sneaky feeling Mayo could raise their game for the Kerry match and cause an upset. Dublin to beat cork handy and Derry should beat Clare but I wouldn't put the house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Don’t think too many ourselves included think we are quiet good enough to win an all Ireland . Like we would be massive underdogs in final against a Dublin or a Kerry . But wouldn’t it be great to be there ! Anyway the bookies make galway v Armagh a 50 50 and I think they are right . For me they were the most impressive team at weekend by a distance . I think they give ya chances as well though and we need to take them when they do . Can see it being open enough which hopefully will suit us to sneak through !

I think its a good draw. They're better off getting the questions answered now while they're fairly fresh off the back of a decent performance than sauntering through Clare or Cork only to get a rude awakening in the semi. If you're going to win it you have to beat quality teams. i think they're well capable of beating Armagh who really only pulled away yesterday after the black card and Donegal are terrible this year. No forward threat whatsoever. We really need to pick up the pace of our transition from defence to attack going forward and if they can do that this game could be the making of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Avon8

I definitely accept that argument, there's nothing worse than hypothetically making a final and embarrassing yourself. I did think that test would come against Derry regardless in the semi (think themselves and Armagh are of a similar level) and there's an absolutely huge difference between being 1/6 shots to get to that game and being 50/50 or slightly worse. It's not as if we had it easy or haven't been tested so far either, having to beat both the big guns in Connacht.

Still though I do accept there's silver linings l, if we're good enough we'll move forward with momentum and if we're not we may end the season at this stage. So not the worst place in the world to be even if we did get the serious short end of the stick this morning. Should be a good occasion also. A double header with Kerry/Mayo preferably but wouldn't be against having the minors on in a triple header with Derry's game

We've beaten Mayo and roscommon but we've beaten no one of note in Croke Park. Derry would be quite defensive and not great prep for a potential clash with Kerry or the Dubs. Armagh will come at you. A less full blown version of the other two so its a step up without getting the full on exposure to the quick counter attacks of a Kerry or Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Is is possible to get tickets online for Thurles on Saturday?

Or did they all sell out already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd say more will be available later in the week once the returns come back from clubs. Very few tickets went on sale this morning and those available were only terrace.

Season ticket holders have till 12pm Wednesday to buy so I wouldn't panic into buying anything yet.

Fahy cleared to play.

Tickets are back up on Ticketmaster incase anyone was looking.. know they weren't there all week so I'm sure plenty need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 laymansterms

This is a strange one to be honest. Its great that Henry has a full panel to pick from but a suspension was merited in this case. Again, the GAA's disciplinary procedures are called into question. A phrase I heard years ago still holds true - 'suspensions are for league, not championship'.

On a side note, I would be amazed if the Galway County Board spotted this technicality themselves. The Galway & Clare County Boards have a good relationship (big ball and small ball). They regularly play each other in challenge matches and I would think that there was some working together on this.

Whether true or not I heard from "sources" Galway were aware of this loophole for quite a while. It came to pass they finally used it.

He should be suspended. But its up to the GAA to have their ducks in a row. I'm sure a legend not long passed would have a wry smile with people losing their mind over a technicality. Scorned people/counties have long memories.

• Advertisement

Team announced, Coen and Concannon on the bench, David Burke and Glennon in.

I find it perplexing that Concannon is immediately dropped despite consistent performances (outside of the last game obviously) yet Conor Cooney can't seem to get dropped.

People don't seem gone on Fahy but he's far outscored Cooney from play. Even Monaghan has scored more.

With no Niland and Flynn it'll be Cooney on the frees again so I'm predicting another (min) two bad free misses.. why Henry is hanging his hat on Cooney as a free taker despite at least two bad misses a game is beyond me(and has only scored around 9 from play in 6 games which included two poor teams).

I'll give Shefflin slack in most areas but continuing to pick a sub par free taker who is shooting well below 50% from play is inexcusable to me.

Advertisement