Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Conroy also could've walked plenty of times in the days where a win over Waterford footballers in the qualifiers was no guarantee. He stuck with them in the absolute worst period in 50 years and helped get us back Division 1 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

Good win yesterday, was unexpected but a better surprise for it. We made ourselves more solid and didn't give up silly goal chances and made them work for scores. Lots of hard work and very happy for all of them to have such a good championship win. We need to learn how to handle games when a few points up, we seem to retreat rather than drive on.

It's a shame that we moved away from the defence blueprint we had towards the end of Kevin Walsh's reign which we reverted back to yesterday. We threw the baby out with the bathwater. The fact that we went back to it yesterday shows this mistake. Of course it is not perfect but we should have tried to evolve it to keep our defence strong but allow us to maximise our attack capabilities. Similar to Donegal under McGuinness, they were focused on defence in his first year but was able to evolve to allow them to attack at pace with turnovers. If we kept that and focused on our kick out strategy, how to turn over the ball without conceding frees, etc. we would be in a much better place today. Hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and use yesterday as a launchpad to develop the team. The confidence got from yesterday will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

both of these unfair comments completely disproven yesterday, Silke and Molloy were great and worked like dogs from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Congrats to Galway players & Mgmt on Sundays win.

I thought at half time we were in trouble and that Mayo would pull away in 2nd half. (Incidentally, I think Mayo thought that too and just seemed to expect it to happen for them in 2nd half). It doesn't work like that. Galway got the scores and Mayo floundered. Galway in fact were nearly architects of their own downfall when coughing up possession from restarts. (Mayo targeted Galway restart, with an aggressive press).

If we can sort out the restarts and once again keep a clean sheet at the back, we'll be Connaught champions at least... and with that confidence, Galway could easily go on and cause problems for any other team in the All Ireland series too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Rossies are going to play hell with the kickouts. They've an excellent record in Salthill too (2 wins and a draw IIRC in their last 3 championship visits). It'll be a sign of a battle-hardened Galway team if they could win the Nestor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Post edited by Green Peter on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Whelan doesn't start but makes the bench. Would expect the same as Westmeath with Joseph Cooney and Tom Monaghan to the half forward line with David Burke and Cathal Mannion to midfield and moving C. Fahy to full forward.

Backs pick themselves at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Conversations 3

Any stand tickets going PM me please

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Galway are too soft for the Rossies. Mayo dont have forwards like the Rossies so kevin walshs tatic of double sweeper wont work like it does v mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is Murphy the best keeper we have in the county? He'd always make you feel a bit nervous watching him, that and the needless playacting he seems to be predisposed to.

You're right, I don't think Kevin Walsh's tactics will work against 'scommin. They probably won't work against Leitrim either if I was a betting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It is a tremendous pity you're not a betting man. Leitrim are a fancy price to beat Galway. You could make your fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

Galway beat roscommon last year in championship and will again this year. Roscommon goalie is worse than any of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Lads what's going to happen today in Salthill? I would think we need to raise our game a few notches to compete with and contemplate beating Kilkenny. The Cody-Shefflin sideshow might work in our favour, as it will amp up our focus. Kilkenny are always amp'd up to the maxx 😬

We had a good league win against Limerick, but nothing much since, I'd be happy with even a sneaky one point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No stupid fouling is the first priority.

Depending on conditions, any fouls within 100 mtrs of own goal could be costly.

Watch the Kk log passes to players in their own area, knowing a ‘free swing’ rather challenged stroke

is better even though it’s up to 30 mtrs further out.

Other than that, creel into them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Good first half display. Really got caught out for those 2 goals which KK didn't really deserve based on play. Apart from those the game would nearly be over. Physically dominant

That's hurling.

**** me I thought watching the Taylor fight last night was a rollercoaster.

The last 90 seconds of that match was something else.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Darren Morrissey and Padraig Mannion the best players on the pitch today. Nearly killed ourselves by persistently picking ball down on to the KK HB line.

Lost 2 All Irelands with that same brainless tactic and still at it. We seem to keep at it until the other team pull level then we change it up.

Might of taken a day to get over Mayo but it will take a week to get over that. Fair play dug it out and badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

First 15 mins won that hurling game for Galway…outstanding accuracy .

I’d sat the StThomas lads on the team nearly got sick when Kk scored the goal in time added on.

Great win and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Galway were deadly accurate in the 1st half.

The St. Thomas's lads were hardly rooting up trees though, so I doubt they could feel too agreeved when KK equalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Congrats to Galway hurlers & Mgmt. Famous win.

A bit like the Sunday before against Mayo, they seemed doomed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ...but just about clung on.

Shocking late challenge on Sean McDonagh. Big loss him going off. Collins having a great half. Should be further ahead.

What is it about Galway teams and making every game harder work than it needs to be?.

Not sure why he's taking the penalties from a standing position, pull it back another two yards and step into it.

Our scoring goals ratio in hurling is dire. About 5 chances yesterday and one goal, must have been 5/6 here and none.

Love to know where the refs Black card is because Kilkenny should have three so far. Penalties very poor. Seemed no pace on them at all. Lucky not to get a red too. Tackle on McDonagh was a red too.

• Advertisement

What a joke of a free. Kilkenny 6 clearly holding Thomas shirt and even after that Thomas doesn't touch him.

Advertisement