Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So long as you keep throwing a tantrum at my direction for calling you out on your link dumps - because in fairness, I can't actually comment on your opinions because you don't really offer any! - then I'll continue to put a bit of badly needed perspective and balance for it.

As an example.. what IS your opinion on that HSE ad you dumped the other day? Do you have one? You may not agree with my views which is entirely your right, but at least I'm giving you something to rail against!

You really do still continue to have a serious issue with anyone who doesn't just take your posts at face value and offer glowing support, don't you?

It's a discussion forum.. Not everyone will agree with or validate you, and ya know what.. they don't HAVE to either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Is that right Daniel.

Regarding wanting the mandate extended:

A few weeks before Paddy's day was a daft time to drop the mandate. Basic knowledge. Never should have been dropped before early April IMO. Brutually rushed.

Regarding fines:

Your only picking up on my later posts but I may have also posted in part1 of this thread, not sure that your read any of that? my view that mask fines should be reasonable(20/30 euro) on the spot fines as much as possible instead of creating paper work and then dragging heads into the courts for non payments.

I may have also posted that masks be given to the offenders right there and then at the time of the offence so that in many ways they are just buying expensive masks. Encourage them to wear masks by giving them masks. Don't just fine them ane leave them at a loss.

The 4E's was a total flop.

18 mask fines issued for the whole of 2020. 468 fines issued for the whole of 2021.

That's 486 mask fines for the whole country, shops and public transport for the entire mandatory masking period.

Mask enforcement was next to non-existent and your having a moan that posters like me wanted much tougher enforcement. Give over.

Thanks Sean, you just proved my point.

You wanted the mask mandate extended and you wanted to see more enforcement and more fines.

So I am right in saying that for some of you, wearing your own mask wasn't enough. You wanted to force others to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭Xander10

Dun laoghaire and BlackRock area. Are OAPs not generally still wearing masks in supermarkets in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm missing the masks on public transport some geezer unfamiliar with cough etiquette coughed and sneezed all over me on the way to work the other night. I'm hoping monkeypox doesnt appear in our public transport system.

• Advertisement

Honest question, would you like masks to be made mandatory for others?

Homelezz, we now have 2 posts on this very page. 1 of those posts admits out straight that he wanted the mask mandate extended and wanted to see more enforcement and fines. The other admits they miss the mandatory masks which implies they would like them back.

Surely you would have to agree at this point that some posters are simply not content with wearing their own masks, they want to make it mandatory for others also.

Let me know your thoughts please.

no optional is ok with me but if you're symptomatic coughing sneezing i'd prefer you carry the mask and yes it might only be hayfever or an allergy that you have but how am I to know if you have corona or pox

I'm off for some sleep will be wearing an eyemask for same.

You still haven't grasped it have you. I wanted to see more compliance and I didn't want to see more enforcement I wanted to see enforcement.

The forcing others to wear masks never really took off, it never really happened and if you think that it did your delusional. Under 500 fines for the totally of the mask mandate is pathetic.

Have some perspective please.

A couple of hundred thousand speeding fines were isssued in the same period. Which resulted in more deaths??

• Advertisement

I miss my X from time to time but hell that doesn't imply I would like them back. Your some leap frogger.

Calling me out, LOL for sharing a spanking new HSE advert before it aired on the telly without comment, get over yourself.

Your opinion on it #7255 didn't offer any "badly needed perspective or balance" BTW.

Pray tell what was so 'moronic' about it then?

I do get it. You wanted people to wear masks and get fined if they didn't.

You weren't content to just wear one yourself.

Well OK then - let's see..

It's condescending nonsense that like so many of the restrictions generally makes no sense in the real world, and entirely attempts to make "someone else" responsible for an individual's personal choices and vulnerabilities, rather than that individual themselves making appropriate decisions if they are concerned.

Despite being a new advert, it's about 2 years too late, bears no relation to where we are now with covid, and is more likely to make people tune out to the "message" entirely as they struggle with far more pressing concerns than essentially still pandering to the nervous types.

Essentially it's an ad that is a waste of money - plus there's variations playing on radio too so more expense there. At best it's closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. At worst it'll actually desensitise people still further from any covid messaging generally.

Again it comes back to the same old thing - wear your mask, socially distance, stay home or limit your social interactions, or do whatever else you want to feel safer/better, but that's all you can expect. This notion of trying to make everyone else be concerned (which is presented in a ridiculous way in this ad) and act the way you do/want them to is long past its sell by date.

You still didn't offer an opinion yourself. Do you even have one? Or are you just going to continue to throw your toys because people aren't validating you? Plus as far as I'm aware, link dumps without offering actual commentary is still a no no here anyway.

No, you actually don't "get it". Youv'e been unable to grasp the differences.

It was the law breakers, the people who were not willing to wear masks that "were't content" to "just wear one".

Public health "wanted people to wear masks" and get fined if they didn't.

The "condescending nonsense" ain't comnig from the HSE advert, that's for sure.

A Luas employee offering to open a window and doing so for a customer makes "no sense in the real world"??

Also contrary to your fantasy opening paragarph, the "individual" was making appropriate decisions as they were masked in FFP2.

How does that opening scene "attempt to make "someone else" responsible for an individual's personal choices and vulnerabilities"?

Opening scene and your opening paragragh don't match.

Do you actually watch it?

Try having another read of my post in the context of the ad as a whole. I didn't think I'd have to break it down scene by scene for you.

But if it helps, watch particularly points like the heroic fella opening windows above a random woman who of course sighs with relief (because bless her she couldn't do that herself of course! Sexist much?) , a waiter telling customers irrelevancies like the chef being pregnant etc (which would surely violate some sort of employment condition), or the notion of announcing someone's medical condition to random shoppers.

And no of course that wouldn't happen in reality and the message is that people should remember such things, but as I said, it's unrealistic condescending nonsense that attempts to suggest that "someone else" needs to look after and be responsible for those people because they can't make decisions for themselves about how to manage whatever risks or fears they may have.

You'd have to wonder how they managed their conditions before Covid became a thing when they still would have been at risk from a variety of other diseases. It's actually insulting dressed up as white knightery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I hardly ever agree with you but you're right about this add. I absolutely hate it. We are gone from protecting each other, that messaging is long gone.

What gets me is they still haven't moved on to protecting oneself. HSE still has a choice between medical mask or respirator mask and they're both equal in protectiveness. At this stage, we all know respirator masks are better. Medical masks are useless with the gaps at the sides. But yet there is still a choice on the HSE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Next time, you can use copy and paste, like that you'll manage to do not forget any letter in the nicknames.

I think you are still not able to read the posts here. Stop overthinking it, that would be my advice.

Post you are referring to is clear to me. Seanergy said there should have been proper enforcement in action when mask mandate was on. Which I fully agree with. Way too many clowns were just taking a pìss and wouldn't follow any of the guidelines.

As for getting mask mandate extended, well I think he just posted his opinion, that is was lifted too early.

And if I speak just for myself, I didn't give a damn, if it was lifted too soon, or too late, or whatever. Mandate was lifted and that's it. I do wear as good mask as possible, when needed. Was doing it before mask mandate and doing it still. Do I care, if you wear one? No I don't. Wouldn't even expect you wear one, choking hazard is a real danger in your case imo.

One thing I know for sure is, thank fook that bug is mutating the way it is so far. After reading your comments and some others, we would be fooked, if it turned different way.

Post edited by xhomelezz on

Your awfully fond of requesting people to read your posts again, get over yourself.

The advert is about not knowing who's at risk from Covid-19 and serves as a reminder to that, that's all. They even say as much and no more. The rest, your twisted interpretation, is in your head.

Your calling the advert "unrealistic condescneding nonsese" yet your not shy with contributions like "because bless her she couldn't do that herself".

A Luas employee informing someone that they are going to open a window behind them does not amount to sexism or shifting responsibilty. That action has nothing to do with masked people not being able to look after themselves. Total bullwackery on your part.

Imagine the bus driver not waiting to open the doors when your getting off and stepping into a cycling lane because a cyclist is approaching the door at high speed and you might walk out on them.

• Advertisement

More toys eh? You REALLY just can't deal with differing opinions can you, yet you have no issue crying foul when your attitude is called out. As for complaining about my contributions - yup, because on a discussion forum you are pretty much EXPECTED to offer one. Posting random links and sitting back hoping for the likes doesn't really work in this format. As I said before, maybe you need a blog?

Watch the bits I referenced again. Watch the relieved sigh from the woman on the LUAS after our hero opens the window. Now tell me that's not condescending and sexist. I'm sure she could well have opened it herself if she wanted to/was bothered enough! Do you disagree?

FLC above summed it up pretty well in fairness. We are well beyond the "look out for others" point here. Now it should be "look after yourself" and take the appropriate measures to do so with appropriate advice from their doctor or as he/she suggests, the HSE website.. just as I (and others) have been saying pretty much all along!

Still with the condescending crap, referncing throwing toys, again, implying I'm a baby no doubt. Your such a grown up.

Pinning your argument on a sigh....WOW....like you know what her sigh means...LOL

Not sure who the "we" is yourself and FLC are content to generalise about but it ain't all of us so best not paint it that way regardless of what you or others "have been saying pretty much all along".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Been flying twice over the last few weeks to European destinations.

There is no airport mask mandate. Neither here nor at my European destinations. Portugal still technically had an indoors requirement which presumably included the airport only no one cared. Well strictly speaking not true. Say 20% cared the rest not so much including airport staff and security/police.

And while they have been on about wearing a mask while boarding the plane, after that it just turns into a farce when you can take them off for food and are expected to put it back on after. What idiocy. I never put it back on, handed it back with my other rubbish and on subsequent legs/flights I took it off 10 mins after takeoff and that was that and not a word said.

Also on a related manner both flights had technically still vaccine cert requirements and in one case a passenger locator form requirement and both flights with strong 'encouragement' to use that scandalous verifly app to deal with the same. Only that no one actually gave a sh1t. Not once was I asked for my certs or forms. Neither during departure nor at arrival. On all legs.

Its a total farce and its been a total farce all along and anyone who still won't open their eyes to it probably never will. What can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Ryanair have announced that they are no longer mandating onboard mask wearing .

WELL … before anyone celebrates the airline finally coming to their senses they have maintained the mandate in the countries that require masks for public transport.

So the transport perma-mask countries are Austria, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain.

it’s a pity Micheal O’Leary doesn’t grow a spine against this nonsense and loosen up the rules for passengers and also staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

My daughter and son travelled to Italy and the Netherlands respectively ove the past two weeks, both on Ryanair. Almost nobody wear a mask save for a few people.

It was also the same when travelling in both countries on trains. While they're might be a "requirement" in both countries, it wasn't the reality on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Masks haven't been required on public transport in the Netherlands since March. The Dutch government technically still required masks on flights and in airports until last week but it was unenforced. KLM even said they would no longer enforce masks wearing from March despite the Dutch goverment's rules.

That list is not up to date. France, Estonia and the Netherlands do not require masks on public transport. Austria and Greece are dropping mask rules from 1 June.

Aer Lingus' list is up to date: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/covid19-information/new-safety-measures/

So you don't think their is enough/any mask enforcement in airports or on flights. Noted.

Speaking about mask mandates, Dublin airport haven't fared so well since the mandate was lifted, chaos there today.

At the beginning of April DAA blamed the long queues on high staff absence rates due to Covid-19 and on difficulties in attracting new staff.

In part the mask mandate was lifted too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

There was no doubt that Dublin Airport had it issues after the mandate was lifted. And yes there were staffing issues with some staff out with covid, but for the most part it was the lack of staff due them being laid off during the lockdown. I wouldn't say they didn't fair well since, while there were big delays today there were very little delays over the past few weeks. 3 my my family members went through the airport in recent weeks with absolutely no delays what so ever.

Some of the issues that cause these delays were people turning up well before their check in gates were open and so had to wait until they did. And by all accounts DAA haven't resolved there staff shortage issues. Dublin Airport aren't the only airport throughout Europe that are slow to get back to their pre covid staff numbers.

I don't know what this has to do with mask wearing or why you're trying to link what was happening a few months ago to what happened today

• Advertisement

O'Leary grew more than a spine with the swine flu and his predictions, he was way off target.

Ryanair's stance to the moany maskless has been fairly commendable.

Advertisement