Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

There is no way that he went trying to source 2 Rolexs to "save face". It doesn't pass the sniff test. Anyone with even a small bit of common sense in that situation would have just said "sorry, I've already sold the other two watches, needed the money and couldn't wait around. I'll send that money back to you now". That would have been the end of it.

He can try out whatever spin he wants on it, but at the end of the day he stole that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You deserve a medal for getting through that livestream. I jumped in a few times, holy fúck I didn't think it was possible to labor a point so much. At one point he even says he's going to "quickly explain" something. 5 minutes later he still hasn't got round to start explaining it.

Unfortunately I think he'll keep his channel, keep the watches. He'll lose any credibility in the watch community, but he'll keep churning out the same videos and there'll be enough in his army of devoted followers for him to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

TO be fair as soon as he got the money from Nico he should have returned it and said the watches were sold...instead he used the money for other things and dragged it out trying to make himself whole again through other deals. He kept the money for watches he didn't own. Sure Nico was late paying but thats not cricket. He was not Doxxed publically only on a dealer only chat where dealer tend to exchange info on bad customers and dodgy dealers....that 4separateeallegationss come up at the same time is an indication that whatever ponzi scheme he runs with his finances are in trouble....yet all the time out his mouth is claims of : I am too rich to be bothered, I wear an AP why would I steal. These are the same things I hear from time to time when I have delinquent debts in my business, delay, reassure, redirect blame....classic moves when you are living beyond your means, oh and the bank closed my account, and I couldnt get a train, and I am busy doing art......total horseshit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. In any boom after investors get on board and big numbers start to get thrown around, you very quickly get the flash harrys, the chancers, the bottom feeders and just outright criminals. They all try to appear legit, but the truth tends to come out in due course. Well, with the small fry anyway. the big auction houses wouldn't have much to fear, even though legally they can be akin to the wild west, with remarkably little oversight or comeback for buyers. You are far more protected buying off ebay with paypal yet so many dealers and movers and shakers try to get newbs to avoid that angle.

There's almost certainly more to come and when it does it'll further soften the market that's already hitting the unease phase. Which IMHO is a very good thing for actual watch enthusiasts. Both of long standing and those who want to get into it. The tulip mania "values" only helped the dealers and flippers and amateur investors looking for the Next Big Thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He kept the money for watches he didn't own.

That sums it up. Plus he's keeping a few Seikos and a vintage Gruen that he doesn't own.

The Gruen story is sad. The owner appears to be an elderly man who had a stroke and him and his wife are down on their uppers and loaned said watch to this muppet to feature on his channel, no doubt hoping to get more interest and value attached to it(IIRC he's American so medical bills are no doubt insane). Not wanting to "victim blame", but the owner wasn't the brightest bulb in the box sending something like that to a complete stranger on the other side of the planet just because he saw him on the interwebs. I don't think he showed the watch on his ramblings last night, or even mention it? That would be a concern if it were mine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's a recording of the video if anyone wants to watch it. I'm trying my best not to press stop, it's absolute torture to sit through.

I can't believe he's actually a real person. It's like watching an Irish Alan Partridge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Life is too short for this sh1te so I skipped to 1.49 of the vid. I think the Gruen is still for sale, it got a mention at the end. Dealers are the same the world over, a bunch of chancers. Doesn't matter if they're cattle dealers, camel dealers, car dealers or watch dealers, all out for a fast buck.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

You hit the nail on the head there , he should of returned the money immediatly. Hes very cleary under financial pressure ,The last few months hes been selling lots of watches and claiming "he'd just too many " and " nothing was wrong , just moving a few on to lucky buyers" .Bragging about his AP and going home to his rented flat...I mean come on , even a kid knows thats a bad finance decision. Hes tried to play the wealthy man of leisure and now its all imploding.

Oh sure OG, but I'd still be far happier dealing with eBay than [insert auction house here] and would have more protection in law. As a buyer anyway. I gather they can be a pain for sellers.

To be fair I've known a few decent and honest dealers and salesmen and women in different areas, just out to make a fair return on what they do without screwing over customers. Certain markets attract the dodgier types though. Cars an obvious one, the art world another and anything that's booming where prices go nuts. The watch world is a charm for them. A charm for money laundering too, when you have very portable assets that are hard to trace and track with agreed values, where "ordinary looking" steel watches could be worth six figures. I would bet customs and other agencies are onto it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Seiko King Samurai on the wrist today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He offered to settle his debts if and only if he handed over his AP as collateral, which is worth way more than the debts. Thorpe forgot to point that out. We can't blame O'Malley for declining that, can we? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭893bet

Why the AP. Why not a watch close to value?

cos he ain’t paid for the AP fully yet to Spenser.

You could well be right there. Oisin had bought the AP from Spencer. Nico mentioned a debt to Spencer in the phone call yesterday. Oisin said he had settled that (but the offer from Thorpe likely predates paying back Spencer as that sounded like a recent payment). Very foolish of Spencer to hand over a watch to anyone, even someone "in the circle of trust" without having received payment.

I guess that circle of trust has one fewer member now anyway 😂

I was trying to make sense of that . If the debt is €11k , if that’s correct where is Paul going looking for the AP as collateral?Not exactly doing him any favours if that’s the deal , a pawn shop would probably do better

Did he not say spencer is paid though?You reckon maybe Paul is trying to get the AP as collateral against spencer and nico’s debt ?

If he is flipping, prices haven’t got that bad yet for him to lose a fortune . He’s mostly dabbled in SS sports rolex so if he cashed out now he would still be up or at least even.

For all the ponce from him of the luxury lifestyle he doesn’t seem to have or maintain any sort of expensive lifestyle when you think about it . A few spritz in cafe Florian is expensive but it won’t send you broke .Apart from the watches which would still be within 10% of recent purchase prices at worst , where would the rest of the cash be going I wonder? Maybe he still has it but is just being a pr*ck and won’t hand it over .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I can’t say I care for any of them, spoofers and charlatans all in my opinion. Mr private jet sweating over 10k and the other dose not able to produce it for all his waffle.

I don’t like to see anyone stiffed but the whole thing is a shameful charade.

Cyrus "Mr private jet sweating over 10k" - hummm indeed had not considered that. Fair point. All these social media types are living well beyond their means, and when you watch them it makes you feel inadequate that your not achieving what these guys seem to be able to do so easily and with minimal tallent. But truth is anyone on here likely would not swap lives with them if you knew the truth of it all.

Scwazrh "For all the ponce from him of the luxury lifestyle he doesn’t seem to have or maintain any sort of expensive lifestyle when you think about it" Well you have to remember he DOESNT HAVE A JOB. He seems to roll from one big pay day to the next like after arranging the national anthem for Aruba (must have been a million euro contract its mentioned so much 😄), no regular income. Youtube pay is pathetic and his channel is small and stagnate. He is buying 100k of Rolex every year and venice ain't cheap. Sitting around making video's, eating and drinking and living in venice like a retired millionaire is an expensive lifestyle.

893Bet "cos he ain’t paid for the AP fully yet to Spenser." - think you are onto something there, and that the AP is even in the discussion would indicate that Spenser and Paul feel there is risk with the debt on that watch.

All a load of bollox, but at the crux of the matter is Oisin owes money and wont pay, has other peoples watches and wont return them. In a way there are so many allegations against his at the moment, that he can hide in the small details and argue point in there to try get around the overriding truth.

Post edited by Fitz II on

I suspect at the time of the loan offer Spenser wasn’t full paid. Other wise it would have been a watch to that value of the debt that was requested. Even if it was still the full 26k euro that was owned at that time the AP was still 50k plus.

Nico says he is still not fully paid. Which means to me the debt was settled very recently and Nico does not have upto date info.

When Oisin was asked “is Spenser paid”. He never answered “yes he is paid”. Not once I don’t think. He said “yes he is sorted out”. That’s a question dodge. Suspect Oisin traded watches to settle the debt or similar as he doesn’t have the cash on hand.

Paul, for all his, both of these guys are my friends is definitely leaning into the Nico camp I think.

• Advertisement

The national income of Aruba is barely a million 😂

Just speculating here but I'd say most of his regular income is from being a professional flipper. He seems to get a lot of Rolex steel sports from his ADs (at retail), one or two a month is plenty to live his lifestyle off, without any other regular income of substance.

He has the computer business in New York. I note there was someone one the live stream paying superchats to highlight their comments asking him does he plan on paying back the 8k in rent he owes when he left New York.

Youtube income. This might be more than you think. Superchats live streams weekly could easily bring in 1k plus per month on top of the advertising from Google adds.

Sponsors like zero shite west.

Other productions which I am sure he still dabbles a little.

Either way he is a walking childish dickhead. The petty name calling, references to Nikos weight etc. It gives insight into his character. He also basically called the seikos shitters at a few points. Which back my theory last month that he virtue signals to the low end of the market. Mask is well and truest off.

This youtube/influencer/salesman stuff in the "luxury" market is all about the front, so Nico in his vids hyping up celebs watches worth eleventy million pounds!!! is par for the course. They're all selling an idea. Oisin very much so. Middle aged single man fish out of water(no pun) in Venice being "cool" which goes down well with impressionable young lads and middle aged lads who should know better. The problem is it is a front and an expensive one and a balloon that's easily popped if you're not shrewd and not a gobshíte.

The 10k thing jumped out for me too. Nearly twenty years ago I had a previously apparently solid client bounce a 9k cheque on me. Went to court, got a judgement against him. Turned out he'd made bad "investments" and had screwed others all within two months. He was "fronting" too come to think about it. Flash car, flash house, flash everything. It was all his until it wasn't. And this guy had a good career but was living waaaay beyond his means. Upshot being he ended up potless and since you can't take trousers off a bare arse I never got it back. Was I raging? Bloody right I was. Was it a hit to the bank account? Bloody right it was. There's no way I could have been accused of having a jetset insta lifestyle,😁 but at the same time it didn't come close to reducing me to living on Aldi beans, my "lifestyle" didn't change one bit, my girlfriend of the time wasn't crying her eyes out over it like Nico's apparently was and my life continued on as before, with added going on Ask Jeeves searching for voodoo death spells.

Now don't get me wrong or think me belittling the debt or the amount; a hundred quid is a fortune if you don't have it and I'd not be surprised to find out someone out there passing by reading this is fretting about next months rent, but the public watch game is smoke and mirrors and a lot of self generating bullshít. I seem to recall in one of Nico's vids he was saying that the margins on the average steel Rolex was around a 1000 quid? Which is a fair whack and if you were a lone wolf working from home or as a sideline selling a few a month then grand, but it's no kings ransom either. Never mind the lifestyles of the rich and feckless front, Nico has staff and an office and rent and stock... Add in that a lot of these deals are between dealers and flippers rather than the Joe O'Bloggs end buyer, well you get the picture. The picture I get is that they're all fronting on borrowed time and money where one deal gone sideways means game over.

And Paul Thorpe's teeth are sponsored by Superluminova.

He seems to have hidden the video on youtube. But if you have a link (like the post above) you can see it still.

I have had some discussions here on the like of Oisin virtue signalling about how he love 200 euro seiko etc..............alow me to demonstrate................

Have a look at the video above (his defence video) from 1hr 56 on for two minutes. I quote him directly........

"lets get real, who wants to steal you stupid ass watch, especially someone like me, who has a public image, and have way better watches than most of you watching, why the hell would i steal your god damn seiko and some other lads 50 year old watch"

So that's his mentality. He dismisses them on value/age. And also it seems he might try and steal an expensive one! Mask on the floor

Also skip to 2.05 on below video from Tim Write when asked if he is returning watches, quote

"of course they are, as if i want to hang on to a bunch of **** seiko, Jesus Christ"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-nz3oEC5w

I seen through his Seiko virtue signalling a long time ago.

Thats the problem with being a liar....you have to have a long memory. His pandering to a audience of lower costs watch collectors has always been obvious and condescending, the fact that people lapped it up like cats at a saucer of cream has always had me scratching my head .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The mask really did slip when he started having a go over the Seikos alright - ugly, nasty stuff. Really shows the high opinion he has of himself.. even the '...and I have way better watches than most of you watching', as if anyone actually cares.

It's interesting how much he goes on about his school days/being bullied as half the time he really does sound as if he's still back there with all the schoolyard level bragging.

He is Walter Mitty. Fantasy world where he is the hero.

When you tie it in to the personal jibs about weight etc on Nico. And the personal jibs he was making about the French lass you can see how ugly, and manipulative he is really is.

Its going to be somewhat fascinating to see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I have to say we’ve been seeing this come for a long while. The comments he made on that French girl made my skin crawl. So what if she’s a sex worker, her choice. No reason to dox her and play the victim after you’ve been a total manipulative prick.

To me, he’s an interesting lad albeit with narcissistic tendencies and a serious drink problem. Can probably keep it in check sober but goes full nuclear ever time after a few sips. I enjoyed a lot of his videos but the self sabotage we’re seeing now is ugly AF.

Those live streams were worse than the Samantha Mumba RSA adverts to watch. Spiralling into self destruction and will say anything to be the victim. Next step is coming completely clean and admitting all of his mistakes to get more sympathy. Complete sociopath.

Last paragraph is probably true, will claim mental health issues to garner more sympathy, deflect from his acts or inactions. Always felt his channel was a self promotion platform where he would create his own reality. And you are right everything he is claiming to be the victim of he has done to others in the past, openly and publicly.

The way he spoke to Nico on the phone was really dark. I have never in my life spoken to anyone like that nor been on the receiving end of such anger. He has it in him when cornered and it certainly colors the stories of domestic abuse by his previous girlfriend.

To be fair he does fall into the Narcissist category and they are prone to alcoholism, drugs and serious mental health issues. Here is the list, you need to have 5 to be diagnosed. I think our Oisin hits a home run on every one. While its fun to speculate on the drama on here I have to also appreciate that the guy may need help and this shitstorm will be causing him more anguish than it would to others because its removing the adulation from others he so needs.

Nine Signs and Symptoms of Narcissism

Symptoms – called core features – of narcissistic personality disorder (narcissism) include:

1. Grandiosity
      • Exaggerated sense of self-importance
      • Feeling superior to others and that one deserves special treatment
      • Feelings are often accompanied by fantasies of unlimited success, brilliance, power, beauty, or love
    2. Excessive need for admiration
      • Must be the center of attention
      • Often monopolize conversations
      • Patients feel slighted, mistreated, depleted, and enraged when ignored
    3. Superficial and exploitative relationships
      • Relationships are based on surface attributes and not the unique qualities of others
      • People are only valued only to the extent they are viewed as beneficial 
    4. Lack of empathy
      • Severely limited or totally lacking ability to care about the emotional needs or experiences of others, even loved ones
    5. Identity disturbance
      • Sense of self is highly superficial, extremely rigid, and often fragile
      • Self-stability depends on maintaining the view that one is exceptional
      • Grandiose sense of self is easily threatened
      • Patients retreat from or deny realities that challenge grandiosity 
    6. Difficulty with attachment and dependency
      • Relies on feedback from the environment
      • Relationships only exist to shore up positive self-image
      • Interactions are superficial
      • Intimacy is avoided 
    7. Chronic feelings of emptiness and boredom
      • When attention and praise are not available, patients feel empty, bored, depressed, or restless
    8. Vulnerability to life transitions
      • Difficulty maintaining reality-based personal and professional goals over time
      • Compromises required by school, jobs, and relationships may feel unbearable
      • Young adults may have a “failure to launch” 
    9. Narcissistic personality disorder is also a significant risk factor for suicide and suicidal attempts.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Advertisement

Jaysus from watching most of his videos (but only a tiny bit of his streams / collabs), it seems he ticks a lot of those boxes.

Advertisement