Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

And the taric code shite has things being sent back to return addresses.

Ordered something from America a few weeks ago, arrived here, paid for duties and etc. €11 on a €30 item.

It was still posted back to the sender, I emailed an post about it weeks ago and heard nothing since.

It's some mess at the moment posting. And the rates all went up so we're now paying more for a shitter service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't think he is taking any work from outside the UK any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Damn! He was pretty much the only option around for arcade chassis repairs. I wonder would he be willing to send back via address pal?

I’ll ask him if I can get access to arcade otaku to message him. Been locked out of that for months and no admin seems to do anything with the admin message feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crap! That would be a bit of a disaster for us here if so.

You may need to quit your day job and get into the CRT repair game :D

Tempting given the sh1te I've to deal with at work these days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I only got a WG repaired from him a while back.

I sorted all the shipping through work though. So he didn't have to handle any customs stuff.

He got stung recently on a French repair so was saying UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Grant didn't say anything about customs when I asked but he said he is no longer servicing WG digital monitors unfortunately.

I picked up another 2x CRT's recently. Thankfully no major issues I could not sort myself. These are officially trisync CGA/EGA/VGA but it can do quad sync up to SVGA 800x600.

Absolutely delighted to have these and am putting them in the twin racing cab. Both monitors give a slightly worrying "clunk" sound when switching frequencies but I'm hoping that normal.

IMHO a racing cab really needs trisync or even quad sync so you can play exactly the way they were intended to look letting you switch from the many "CGA" racers like Outrun, Chase HQ

to the EGA Virtua Racing, Dayona, Sega Rally:

then to the early 00's VGA like Crazy Taxi

They also supports the modern stuff scaled to SVGA like Outlook 2 SP or Sega Race TV on Teknoparrot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

O1s1n will love this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

More CRT/Vector content this week:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I tried to nab one after seeing the video earlier. Out of stock :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I asked, on the Vectrex FB group, about a Veccy Clock and they've got one, but I think it needs a cart to run the timer.

Maybe the Pitrex would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

got quite a nice haul of PVMs that were heading for the skip over the weekend. Not keeping them as I've too many monitors already so if any one wants one or two (free) : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058228778/free-jvc-tm-h140pn-14-pvms/p1?new=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

great save , fair play dude ! svideo is grand for a good few consoles and 14" too is the perfect size !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Amazing to see these still being pulled out of places in this day and age, nice save :)

I know you were saying there's some issues with them working, but cosmetically they look to be in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Very kind of you, @BGOllie

S-Video is great. I got a PS1/2/3 cable today. Just DC and Saturn left once they clear customs.

Here's a problem I've never had before. Was making some adjustments on my grundig tonight. Just on the focus pots really because the picture was a slight bit blurry to me.

So a cold solder joint popped on that part. Gave a mate a loan of my iron but no worries I'll fix it tomorrow.

But here's where its a bit odd, obviously still works and I had my laserdisc and mega drive both running and hooked up. After the pot popped the mega drive picture looked washed out and off. Probably just the bad connection.

Then I swtiched to the laserdisc and it was sharp and vibrant. Put the mega drive in that scart input and looked great too.

Here's a picture of the mega drive across all 3 scart inputs. All pictures taken probably within a minute and very very different results

The last picture being the "good input"

Pretty strange I think. I'll fix the cold joint but I don't think it will have much difference..I'll just only use the good input from now on I suppose?

Im wondering while I'm at this would I find someone to service the chassis for me? Or best to just not fix it if it ain't broken

It's rare enough that all SCART inputs are full RGB on a TV, I'd suspect the first input pictured is only using composite video hence the blurriness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah most crt tvs normally only 1 scart socket runs rgb ,every tv I have here is like that

• Advertisement

Yeah I actually typed it that out and then deleted it because I thought I was being a bit dumb 🤣

Good to know that's the case. I'll have to get myself a decent RGB scart switcher so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've got one and really like it, but it's BIG - as in the case is really deep, there isn't even a basic mono speaker and tweaking everything is done via pots on PCBs, some of which aren't labelled in a way that makes sense.

All that being said, I think it's a great monitor and the image quality when it's all calibrated is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finally got time to test a console on my 21" Trinitron I got earlier in the year. Only over composite for now, but it was glorious. Its a good few years since I seen OG hardware running on a crt, so it was a nice treat.

On a related note, 50Hz Sonic the Hedgehog is a full on crime.

Booted the Naomi (mame'd) for the first time in ages this evening and was playing some shooters, Galaga & Truxton. Blown away by how good the fecking CRT looks, love the faint bullet trails etc..

What's your naomi setup like? My naomi has the 31k only sanwa crt but I use emudriver/groovymame and enable scanlines so the 480p image with the scanlines looks exactly like 240p.

Then you can play demul at the correct 480p too.

and hang light guns over the hooks at the back, swap the control panel in 1 minute. It really is a versatile cab for arcade emulation.

Ya mines got a Sanwa 31Khz monitor as well but just using regular mame/retroarch on it, think there is some tweaks to the usb settings for lower latency but thats about it.

Using Attract-Mode with basic layout as the frontend, nice and simple to use and looks great on low res screen.

Has anyone here ever used a crt rejuvenation kit and lived to tell the tale?

There is a German guy showing how it's done here with astounding results:

If someone has one and knows how to use it I'd pay for a visit to do a few old hantarex tubes.

I think the guys at level up might have one of those kits? I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭dav09

Yep there's one down there, it's not mine but definitely useful piece of kit I'm sure you could probably use. Never used it myself as I am useless when it comes to CRTs (other than taking chassis in and out and adjusting them).

Advertisement