Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe that would halt the offensive, to offer the proto via the UN Security Council...

Of course, then Russia and China would go at it, to try and win the prize!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would Putin be willing to halt the invasion of Ukraine if o1s1n surrenders his prototype?

I could see Putin parading it with the army on May 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Soon to be seen in Ukraine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Facebook sales arent much better either, niche fashion groups are mostly fine, regular clothes and games are just so stress inducing

Last time I was selling games just sold to friends or gave away the rest, my patience couldn't take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Happy birthday ZX Spectrum, 40 years young today.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is the host of today's pinball league one of ye lads? My friend sent me a video, that is a savage game room. I like how the arcade machines and console stuff have their own section. Very slick. (If not, then nobody has any idea what I'm on about haha)

I would do unspeakable things to have a HotD2 cab in my house...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Indeed, I picked up the latest Retrogamer issue as it celebrates the rubber keyed wonder

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah cheers! Spent way too much time playing that in my college years. That was an interesting watch that, although it defo triggered me seeing how not to play the game. 😂 You need to be using the flame thrower for a start. I must record a 1 cc run of that some day, see if I can still finish it twice in a row on the 1 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Some more gaming news that may be if interest to o1s1n and others on here.

It's a Kickstarter for a game called Operation Highjump: The Fall of Berlin.

Which draws inspiration from not only Metal Slug but also "the puzzles of Lost Vikings, the tactical missions of Commandos and the narrative story of Indiana Jones"

Not sure what people like retr0gamer will think of the art style but I think it looks quite detailed and the cathedral with the stained glass at the start looks like total eye candy.

Chris Huelsbeck is involved in the games soundtrack, and his post is how I discovered it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are releasing them all as sonic origins soon. And considering the people behind it they are probably going to be the definitive versions.

Me: "So I really need to buy (insert classic game name/series here) again?"

Also Me: "Shut up and take my money!"

I get the Sega love and those games are broadly superb, but I wish they would release a few collections of their other titles.

A pair of collections of their racing and fighting games would be outstanding, especially the former.

Super Hang-On, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Manx TT Superbike, to name but a few. I know some have made it onto the digital shop fronts, such as Virtua Racing and Daytona, but some of them have never ported or were last playable as a port on the Saturn.

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd love to play Daytona USA 2001 on a modern console, that game was just fantastic, and has aged really well. The problem for that game was the default control sensitivity was all over the place, and no one bought the game!

Big issue with the Sega racing titles is all the licensing involved. But I'd be more than happy to pay for the likes of Sega Rally or Daytona one off releases like I did for Daytona PS360.

They lost the Ferrari licence, so bye bye Outrun 2/2006 remasters :(

Good thing the PSP/PS2 editions are so good!

They had it on the digital storefronts for a while, and if you bought it back then you can still download it, but I never did so now I never can :( :(

Spoiler: The PC version is easy to get and Sumo Digital Being awesome it runs on modern hardware and supports up to 8k resolutions.

Good to hear, I must give that a try, it's such a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Absolutely adore Outrun 2006 — actually dipping in and out of it at the minute as my save file buggered and will take any excuse to play it again. The career mode can get a bit repetitive, mind you, which tends to be lost on me when I get all glazened-eyed about the game.

That long run, all of the courses chained together, is just amazing and I have never played anything like it since.

When you think of the modern racing game, with it's endless tracks and player options to alter the never ending range of cars, Outrun 2/ 2006 manages to be a lot more fun with little more than a glance in the direction of physics, a handful of flashy Ferraris and a very defined list of tracks bursting with sunshine and character.

They're two completely different genres though tbf, arcade racing and more Sim based stuff wont necessarily share the same audience. I enjoy both, arcade racers are great for pick up and play fun....sim stuff I enjoy because it's a whole different reward when handling the car successfully.

I've a Keelog PSU for my C64, seems perfectly fine. Anyone used them for an Amiga PSU? - https://www.keelog.com/power-supply/#amiga

Considering buying one for multiple Amiga's (500, 600, & 1200)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a few of the Keelog ones with the OLED screen running my Amiga's. I had an minor issue with one that they quickly sent a replacement for(and let me keep the faulty one which i fixed up in 5 mins).

Apart from that, no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Looks like the new darksoft cps1 / 1.5 multis have started shipping :D

Did anyone that ordered one receive it yet?

WATA are getting sued for manipulating the used games market.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of bellends.

Master of the Universe

Really was a case of them reaching way too high with the valuations. They could have gotten away with this if they'd been a bit more reasonable with their artificial inflation, rather than being insanely greedy.

1.5 million dollars for Mario 64 was outrageous.

I’m becoming increasingly fascinated with the kind of job lots where it looks like someone actually managed to go an entire generation without buying a single decent game.

Most the PS2/PS360 generation I find. Usually a Fifa and CoD gamer so wouldn't really be clued in on what is good so probably went for what sounded or looked good.

Can see it happening as well with lapsed gamers. I remember a few people asking for advice about what games to get for a PS2/XBox and they hadn't played games in years but liked Tomb Raider so wanted to get Angel of Darkness. Of course when I tried to tell them they were making a huge mistake I just sounded like I was being the opininated dickhead I usually am. Same with people buying a 360 saying they grew up with Sonic and wanted to get Sonic 06.

I wonder how many people were completely turned off videogames by those two games.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how ebay selling works for international postage these days? If selling within the EU, is there anything specific I need to print and fill out? Same for selling to the UK, does eBay provide customs forms for printing or is it done on arrival at the post office?

So some interesting information about gunstar heroes has come out.

Seems it very nearly didn't get brought to the west. Everyone at Sega of America hated it except one guy. Here's how it went down with the producer of eternal champions:

Also Treasure were never told how well gunstar heroes did in the west:

Master of the Universe

How could someone involved in promoting videogames play Gunstar Heroes and not think it's amazing? I find that really hard to comprehend.

Such a shame, the sequel we never got :(

I'm kind of glad they did some wildly different stuff with each new game. And Gunstar Super Heroes was kind of poo.

Was that the Gunstar game on the GBA?

That new top tier PlayStation Plus subscription has PS1 games and they're adding trophies to some games, including Intelligent Qube/Kurushi. I'm intrigued...

Let me spoil that for you. All games in all regions will be the PAL versions.

One for SHMUP junkies.

Coming from Ladybug how has been pumping out amazing doujin metroidvanias for years. It's on steam.

Had a quick go of it there and the opening stage is incredible. There's benefits for being off work sick I suppose.

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw that afterwards :(

Kurushi should be ok but that rules out games like Tekken or THPS so I probably wouldn't bother with a subscription.

Makes sense, given how very few people have 60Hz displays at the moment.

/f****ng clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tekken is fine. It's the first party games that are affected excluding Syphon Filter.

Well now, please please come to consoles, and the Switch!

Also, gives me mixed RType Delta and Einhander vibes, which can only be good!

Every time I get around to buying Tank!Tank!Tank! on the Wii U, its going rate has jumped by another €20. This legacy/retro gaming craic is getting so expensive I might just play Crazy Taxi for the rest of my days.

I'm hmm-hawing on just biting at €85 — what is this helllscape? Might throw in that €140 copy of XD Gale of Darkness just to ensure my Mrs doesn't even look at me again.

Anyone know where one might buy an Atari 5200?

They seem very thin on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Not retro, but I'm selling a PS5 digital edition and pretty sure friends of A&R would get a good deal on it as I'd know it'll be used, not relisted for scalper prices.

https://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-5-digital-edition/26990584

Chancing my arm that it's okay to post that here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bizarre-looking Yu Suzuki Space Harrier-like game releasing on Apple Arcade later this month (I'd imagine other platforms to follow).

Such a peculiar trailer - old-school gameplay combined with graphics & art design that look one part demented and one part cheapo stock graphics from an asset store :P

Advertisement