Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ozzycop

Is the Higher Education Authority (HEA) counted as the civil service? It would be a state agency as opposed to a major department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭tritriagain

The link for the external competition seems to be now invalid. Anyone have an updated link

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭furrybones

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hey all - looking for help if possible - read info booklet and still unsure - have 30 years work experience including management roles but only have Level 6 QQI quals and GCSEs as went to school in the UK back in 1991 - am I still eligible to apply?

any help much appreciated thanks

Your best bet is to email PAS outlining your qualifications and they will let you know if you are eligible.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement

Thanks - just got a reply from them there asking to check the booklet ha

Well that was a bit useless :/ They are usually very helpful.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Just found the answer there rhidden deeply and from what I can make out looks like will have to go down the Clerical Officer route for a couple of years - on panel so just a waiting game

thanks for your help Furrybones

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

I wonder have they done away with the verbal and numerical stages, dont they usually use those to filter down the numbers of applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Belle23

I have the same kind of background as yourself, have a year done as a clerical officer now. Its not so bad, if you can manage on the money :-) I can't in this climate, so am applying for this competition in vague hope! Hope you get placed soon!

• Advertisement

thanks - not about the money really can take a hit on it - more about the security really at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kirbi

No, I don't think so - unless it's a division of D/Health or something, rather than an organisation in its own right. There are a lot of non-civil service state agencies, so that's not much of a signal I'm afraid. If your HR distributed the Interdepartmental competition booklet though, then it's likely that you are a civil servant.

In general, civil servants are the ones listed in a CS Mobility scheme organisation (excepting people on secondment etc.)Those are referenced in the document available here: https://hr.per.gov.ie/en/publications/mobility-contacts/

(However, I can see that the Data Protection Commission isn't listed - probably because its split our from D/Justice was more recent.)

If you're still not sure whether you're a civil servant or not then you should ask your HR unit to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Applied today. Best of luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Likewise may the tests be easy and the OOM short :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pathy

When I applied for the Clerical Officer a few years ago I used a website for practising the numerical and verbal. But I've heard that the tests had changed a bit for the EO in 2020.

Does anyone have a website they'd recommend? I found it good to use the last time

Do you need 3rd level education to apply.?

I have first year accountancy exams vut for different reasons had to leave and get full time employment. Other than that I only have a leaving cert. 5 honors

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@tritriagain if your leaving cert meets the below requirement you should be fine. You will find this information in part 1(ii) of the eligibility requirements section

"have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least five subjects at Higher level;"

Thanks a million. I meet the criteria but will I be back of the queue with no degree.

@tritriagain your current work experience could be far more beneficial than any degree. I have degrees but they don't come close to having experience, in fact I would love to see ICT roles in particular follow an apprenticeship model because I think the students/apprentices would be better rounded individuals but thats a debate for another day. Give it a whirl you never know what the outcome might be 👍️

Thanks again

Post edited by tritriagain on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

I only had a leaving cert and was placed from the 2020 panel - these are only the entry requirements to apply to the competition, how well you do will depend totally on your scores in the various competency tests and the interview, nothing to do with your education!

That's great to know. Will give it a lash so. Thanks again.

My first time applying for EO was the 2020 campaign. I would be pretty good with numbers, graphs, etc, but I found the numerical test to be awful and I wasn't alone in that. Hopefully they won't be the same with this one.

@furrybones can you remember what the the numerical questions that were particularly bad were asking you to do? I've never applied for a civil service competition before so no idea what to expect on the testing front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do all gaps in employment need to be accounted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dyldo93

Hey everyone, looking to pivot out of retail management but would I be correct in my interpretation that having sat only 4 exams at HL in the LC (even though I exceed the Maths, Irish/English requirements) I'm not eligible?

"have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English, having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least five subjects at Higher level"

I did spend two years in university but left without my degree so I would also assume that I'm ineligible based on the below criteria also (passed all my exams in 1st year of a lvl 7 but didn't stay long enough to get said lvl 7)

"have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) National Framework of Qualifications"

Apologies on the formatting, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Have you applied because this competition is closed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dyldo93

Is the application deadline not the 2nd of June or am I reading something incorrectly on the Public Jobs site?

@laoisgem the competition is open until 3pm on the 2nd of June as far as I can see. @Dyldo93 I'd say in your scenario contacting PAS directly might be a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Apologies, confusing this competition with another

I would advise contacting PAS also but I wouldn't get my hopes up

Advertisement