Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RichPersonInsideAPoor

Anyone here apply for the HSA EO panel? Or know if there’s a separate thread for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@RichPersonInsideAPoor yeah I applied for it, haven't done the aptitude tests yet though

The test is easy just 1 section called admin dilemmas it took me less than 20mins. it’s 20 scenarios and you rate each of the 4 responses so I hope I did ok. I found it grand so fingers crossed. Do u have any idea how many EO they’re likely to hire? My fear is it’s only about 10 or 15 nationwide because I think there’s only about 300 staff in the HSA nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fonzy1991

No it closed the end of May it’s at test stage now

• Advertisement

@RichPersonInsideAPoor I haven't done it yet but will do it before Friday. I have accepted another position since I applied for it so its highly unlikely that I would proceed with my application even if I was successful after the tests. The only reason I want to do them is they may be useful for nationwide EO campaign which I also applied for and intend to see through. I have no clue about how many positions/applicants there will be to be honest. I don't think they are ICT positions, but if they were, it would be significantly easier to get to interview stage and beyond due to the current wages on offer in the private sector.

@Fonzy1991 No it closed on the 26th of May unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

I joined as a CO when I was 56. Went to EO from the open panel the following year and then got the internal HEO 2 years ago. Best move I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭skidmarkoner

How is everyone prepping for the tests?

I have done some mock ones on Public jobs but kind of hoping people have some more tips to try bump up my score. I know I can fly it through etray and interview but the original OOM always let's me down.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Just1more

Is there any handwritten exam or assessment at any stage or is it all done on a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sunshine_21

Hi All. Just received any email from public jobs this evening

Stage one for the above mentioned compeititon will take place in June 2022. Information about stage one will issue to candidates publicjobs message board in mid June 2022.

• Advertisement

Can I ask what is involved in the etray? Is that before or after the interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭furrybones

Etray is a simulated office environment in which you perform tasks such as reply or compose emails, reply to queries from colleagues/managers, etc. Some tasks have time sensitive deadlines (there will be an office clock also) and some tasks don't.

Etray is between the online assessment stage and interview stage. You must pass etray to progress to interview.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

That's great to know, I wasn't sure what it was all about. Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Stranger Things

Hi Guys! Applied for EO a month ago and hoping to get the role. Have a few questions if anyone could answer if possible.

Im finishing college and I have a feeling I will get a 2.2 in my Level 8 degree. Will I get a job if I get this or does it need to be a 2.1 or higher?

How should I study for the tests? Any websites or sources out there?

Will my lack of full time work experience hinder me compared to older, more life experienced applicants?

That’s all, would greatly appreciate any responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Start here https://publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process

They have mock tests for the EO competition. If you do well and get the interview prepare answers using the competency framework.

3 example of experience in each area should get you in. Don't be afraid to use college experience and use the I when talking alot.

I did this.

I put together

I solved

I lead

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

It definitely doesnt need to be a 2.1 or higher. Remember that, with a degree, you are now eligible to apply for the grade above EO which is AO. Keep an eye out for competitions for that grade.

It might be difficult to have lots of examples straight out of college. Even if you had some part time work examples, that should help you out

Edit: Just to add that you wont officially be able to use your degree results from your final year for this competition. You can only rely on the qualifications you had on the closing date

If your coming from public sector to civil service EO grade would there be incremental credit given

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GodUnknown

Anyone recommendations for other practice tests? I've done the one on publicjobs so many times now I just remember the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Double post, mods please delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I can only speak for going from the public service to the civil service as a CO. I remained on the same payscale transferring as I requested a Verification of Service from HR, but from what I've heard talking to others I was lucky as it's rare that increments carry over. Best of luck though, like myself it may work out for you.

When will the internal and external panels be formed?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

@Fonzy1991 I can't give you an exact time, but I'm currently already in the Civil Service as a Clerical Officer and I'm on the external panel. I couldn't apply for the internal one cos I haven't been in the Civil Service for 2 years yet. Another Clerical Officer that I work with got promoted to EO in the last couple of weeks from the 2020 panel so the 2020 Panel is still running. They had Dublin for one of their counties and that's where they'll be once everything gets sorted. The same person told me they had heard the external panel is supposed to finish in August. So I would assume assessments will take place mid June with results in early July and interviews for the first batch in late July/August and then clearance will be August/September so that the last few from the 2020 Panel can be placed in the meantime. That is just my very rough estimate though! I don't know anything about the internal panel.

Stage one for the new campaign will take place in June 2022. As the 2020 panel is expiring at the end of August, the 2022 panels will have been formed by then.

@RichPersonInsideAPoor Have you heard anything back from the HSA panel yet?

No, nothing yet, did you? I kind of expect to hear results this week - though I'm basing that on nothing, it could be another 3 weeks before we get results.

Thanks @imagusaran and @furrybones for the info. Best of luck to everyone applying this year and indeed to anyone still on the 2020 panel.

@RichPersonInsideAPoor No nothing yet, just said I'd ask because they were fairly prompt in getting the testing emails out after the closing of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Post edited by cvb03 on

• Advertisement

I got results today and they were much lower than I expected, I usually score high on these tests... I'm not being called for the 1st round of interviews they said I'll be called next round but I doubt they'll be a second round tbh...

Advertisement