Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Gread stuff there, many congrats. Maybe the 12mm spikes were slowing you a bit on the hard stuff? Maybe your rivals had 9mm. No harm done though obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So I ended up with two gold medals from the Masters XC. The winner of the M35 got DQ'd for not being registered (damn red tape) and while I was right that we didn't have enough M35 runners on the team. The team events were fact an M35-50 and M50+. So I got a team gold as well.

When I got the text about the XC I deliberately delayed getting my booster until after the race. It was the right call.

Monday - 6.5 km easy

Wednesday - 4x300FR, 3x400R

Time for some speed. Busy day with NCT and Booster planned. So I put my wife's car through the NCT in Kells before heading to Navan for the booster. Took advantage of being there to visit Claremont stadium and don my spikes for the second time in 20 years. Also the second time in a week. I'd given them a less than thorough clean with baby wipes in the morning and then went about replacing the spikes trackside. Managed to cut the finger of myself in the process. See aforementioned post about them looking dangerous. I somehow mustered up the courage to soldier on from my little nick and hit the 300s. I might have been a bit too giddy starting off, or perhaps a little tired from the weekend. Target pace was 48s for the 300s. I hit 45, 47, 48, 48. The last two required a bit more effort than I would have liked. The end result was that I wasn't fit for the 3x400s. I settled for 2x400 at a slower than hoped pace. 73, 73 instead of the target 70. I didn't have another one in me I'm sure. Still I was happy enough with the session and I took consolation from the fact I could hit a 45s 300 with my first fast effort which was not absolutely flat out so the spikes must have helped. So there's still a bit of speed hiding in there I hope. Off for the booster. No issues. But woke up Thursday and was very groggy with the usual sore arm and an unusual swelling under my left armpit which was also sore.

Friday - 7.25 km easy. Arm still sore and badly swollen underneath so tried not to bounce along too much.

Sunday - 16 km with 7x(1km Steady, 1km Tempo). Not a high mileage week so crammed a Long run/Session into the last day. The booster effects were finally mostly gone by now so I intended for an average pace of 4:00/km for 15 km. That would involve 1 km stready and then 1 km at Tempo effort. I started to tire around the 10 k mark but got my 3rd wind once I turned in the town for home which made the last 2 Tempo efforts much easier to do (net downhill). Looking back the session wasn't as uniform as I would have liked with the steady pace falling away after a few reps. Not helped by the Tempo pace increasing too. A couple of them started on uphills which probably had me pushing them a bit harder than I should. Finished anyway with 15 km at exactly 4:00 pace. I enjoyed that one.

38 km for the week.

The club asked me last week if I was running the Leinster Masters. I said no. I was auto registered anyway after the county championships so they were onto me again if I was running it, but I wasn't fit to. It was just as well I said no the first time due to the booster shot. I've obviously come to the attention of the club now after last week so I'm going to try to be careful in committing to races that I end up missing. Incidentally, the Meath team picked up a bronze medal I think which means I possibly would have been part of that.

That's quite an announcement in terms of your club career. They won't take the photo without you next year!

My brother told me I now need to target a gold in the M40, M45 and M50 over the next couple of decades to complete a Masters Slam 😄. I can barely commit to something a month off so that sounds like something that might happen in a parallel universe.

What I have done today though, is register for the Masters 800 Indoor. Off no specific training. What I've been doing the last few weeks on lower mileage has been mostly just to try and consolidate my fitness level. Whatever it is. I increased my pace a little basically on my easy runs.

So not a lot of super fast stuff recently. I only picked the pace back up last week for the first time when I committed to racing it. With zero experience and it being indoors I can forget about pacing myself optimally. I'm banking on it being a less spectacular blow up than my mile race back in December though. Recognising it is a race I'll try and work off others and not concentrate too hard on my pace. What time I might run, I've no idea but I'm trying to get in the unfamiliar race mindset that I shouldn't care. It will be the position that counts most not the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Some nice 300s there.. what was the recovery on them? I hope to break 5 myself this year so I'm enjoying reading back over your log.

Ah. Great stuff. Best of luck with it. Are you logging about it anywhere?

The 300s were with a 300m jog recovery, which took me 2-2:10 minutes each time.

Quote "I've had bad luck announcing I'm doing any particular race on a few occasions in the last year so I'll simply see how the next couple of weeks go first."

The curse seemed to be real after announcing my plan of running the National Masters 800 Indoor. I was due to update last week but ours second eldest had just tested positive for COVID on the Sunday so I didn't dare post an update. Himself and the older brother were pulled from school last week as a result. On the Monday my OH (who'd been sick a couple of days) finally tested positive too. On Wednesday the baby was then confirmed as well leaving two of us standing. I was resolved to getting it myself but was allowed move around once I kept testing negative so treated last week as a taper just in case. Happy to say the curse has been broken and I did in fact make the race, so here's the backfill.

January 17-23

Monday - 5 km recovery

Tuesday - 6.3 km Easy

Wednesday - Reps (2x400, 1x600), Fast Reps(1x400, 2x300). Jogging the same distance for a recovery after each. On last weeks session I did the fast reps first and too fast, which smoked me from finishing out my plan so went back to the more normal regular paced reps first followed by the Fast reps. It's much harder to run the fast reps too fast when there's a bit of work already done. These were done in the Business Park. Parts of it are due a bit of resurfacing at this stage but it's still the best bit of flat straight road that can be got nearby. 400s in 70, 71 were on pace. 600 in 1:49 just a second off target, a good start. The fast 400 was in 65, again a second off target, but good enough. The 300s then 37, 38 so a nice finish. Been a while since I did a full session along those lines and so was happy with the paces.

Thursday - 9.2 km Easy

Saturday - Intervals 5x(1km w/ 2 min jog). I was thinking of doing 4x1km but after the first couple I decided on 5. The reason being, I'd an idea of my target pace being 3:20ish. The first couple came in 3:25, 3:25. I wasn't forcing the pace but felt I didn't quite have the speed tonight. Encouragingly though I was recovering well in between. So I was happy to add an extra one due to feeling pretty good. Next 3 were 3:23, 3:24 and 3:19. Obviously pushing it a little on the last.

44km for the week

January 24-30

Monday - 5.6 km Easy(Hard). The first day of the kids being home again. We went to Summerhill woods with their bikes for a little run for me and a cycle for them. Planned to just follow the track which is only 2.8 km looped a few times. The kids didn't want to do another lap so we went exploring a little off track. Found some nice terrain for biking but was had to stop regularly to carry the two bikes for them for certain parts. I turned off the watch eventually as I walking more than running at that stage.

Tuesday - 11 km. Just under 1 hours running

Wednesday - 2x400FR, 2x400R, 1x100Fast. Over to Navan track with one of the kids in the middle of the day to let him run around a bit too. Wanted to do another bit of speedwork but allowed myself quite generous recoveries here. Ran with him for a while and did some 80m reps at his pace before he took off to try out his long jumping skills. The FastRep 400s were great. Both on pace 64, 64 without winding myself too much. 3 minutes recovery between the two. The 400 Reps were grand then too again with an arbitrary recovery period waiting until I was good to go - 72, 70. One 100m on the fly just to finish up then. 13.3 secs maybe.

Thursday - 5 km recovery. Met one of my new clubmates who was walking which lengthened the time I was out considerably.

Friday - 10 km with 8x(60on, 45off) in the middle. Hit the intervals at faster paces than last weeks Interval session aided by the local terrain on a few of them. Wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself so finished with 8 instead of 10.

Sunday morning - COVID test: Negative meaning I could race. Incidentally Sunday evening our eldest finally tested +ve just before he was due back at school. So far I'm the only one that's dodged it in the house.

A couple of posts from last year that left a lasting impact on me and even my interest in bothering to race at all. Up until now I've really enjoyed just running against myself and the clock, but was given food for thought that I may actually be able to compete, not just with myself, but with others at a decent level. The seeds were sown then. I'd hoped to try the outdoor Masters which didn't happen unfortunately. But after joining the local club at the end of last year the indoor Masters 800m was in the back of my mind since then. Although, I wasn't specifically training towards it as I sort of ambled into January but it was off a fairly decent 2021 overall I thought.

The day

I was a little nervous as I got my gear together. Still not got club singlet, so I text one of the club members asking if I'd be let run without on. "I don't know tbh but best of luck" were his exact words. Too late anyway, I was an hour from setting off at that point. Left my OH glued to the Australian Open final. Nadal had just won the 3rd set and the baby was asleep upstairs so she was getting to enjoy it in peace for now. Got down to Athlone fairly quickly and warmed up on the outdoor track. It was very breezy and I heard the same comment uttered by at least half a dozen folks about it being great we're not racing outside today. In the changing rooms lots of old acquaintances were exchanging pleasantries with some very identifiable Cork accents along with plenty of Northern ones too. Eaves dropping there were discussions about the 800 starting 15 minutes after the Women so I wasn't rushing for time I thought, until I landed out beside the track and could see all the 800m men warming up in the middle of the arena. I scamper around the side quickly and dump my bag beside a camera man before crossing the track to the infield. Name checks going on. It seemed like the steward was waiting for me as he called my name just as I approached the huddle. I wasn't late of course and there must have been another maybe 10 minutes before the O35s were called to the start. I asked one athlete where the 800 starts and where the break line is. I then ask a second fella, just to be sure. @quick feet approached me around then and introduced himself. His 800 time has been steadily improving since December and he was hopeful he might PB. He said he'd been looking for the Trim singlet, which I wasn't wearing. We wished each other the best of luck and I headed off to the start.

The Race

PB was not in my mind at all. I'd no real idea what shape I was in but convinced myself in the car on the way down that I should be at least able to run under 2:10 if pushed. But the plan was simple (well in fact too simple). I started in lane 6 with one runner outside me as we waited for the gun to go. Off we set and with only only person in front of me to begin with I made sure I didn't catch him on the bend, allowing him to break across in front of me. I didn't get the impression he wanted to lead as the starting pace was so slow and I'd to hold myself back to not pass him on the bend. We were very slow but the guys behind us even slower as we both broke across unchecked. The pace was so comfortable that I could easily check the stadium clock as we went through 200m. 34 seconds. Yep. Slow I thought to myself. Still I sat behind for the next lap too with no one challenging. As we reached halfway I again look at the clock 1:09. Ha, certainly no PB today I thought to myself. So this is actual racing. I feel a nudge on my right shoulder and become aware of the guy behind possibly going to move to the outside. I might get boxed in I think, so I surge a little and then with around 300 m left I'm feeling too fresh and decide maybe I can win this. My simple plan was indeed too simple, as I hadn't accounted for me actually finding myself in this position at this stage. I kicked with 300 to go and went past the front runner. I'm running very hard now and don't really know if I've been followed but assume I have. Through 600 m there was certainly no looking at the clock this time as my ears were pinned back. I feel I can maintain my pace to the end and hold off a challenge at one point making sure I'm hugging the rail. Round the final bend I'm still in the lead but can feel a runner over my right shoulder. I must have drifted out slightly at this point as just as he draws level I get a nudge on my left. I nudge back and strain for the line, thinking I got second. Spoke to the two lads after the race. Really nice guys. The guy who tried to nudge past me thinks I got second too. He must have gone fairly soon after to the results table as he comes back with a silver medal in his hand and offers it to me. "Would you go and s**t" I said to him. Not really though :) It was a nice gesture I thought. 2:12.09 was the official time for second place. I ran 2:12.09 also so not sure how they separated us but I was given 3rd. Didn't make much odds I was only thinking of winning it as I rounded the final bend.

Post Race

I watched quickfeets race. The 040s was much more stacked and faster too. He finished strongly picking a few off I think on the last lap and was close to a PB. The O40s was won in 2:03!

On my own race. It was an unusual but enjoyable experience for me. With a better strategy being the order of the day maybe. Not saying that would have got me the gold though. The other guys can run much quick than 2:12. It might have left me with more questions too though. Who knows. Re-watched the feed on YouTube and checked the splits. First 400 was 1:09 (200s in 34 and 35), the second 400 was 63 (200s in 33 and 30). Very happy with that 30 second final 200 tbh. I'm not sure I could run a final 200 any quicker than regardless of tactics so fair dues to the guys who pipped me. I was thinking that going with 300 to go might have been too soon. I probably tied up a little over the final 50m, so if I was in the race again I might have not moved until 250 to go. But as I said, who knows. Really enjoyed it and it was refreshing to not be so buckled after the run as I was after my 800TT last year. I'll throw a screengrab of the finish below, if only so I can crack the joke my mate made when he saw it. It looked like the two lads were taking me to draw my pension from a Carlow Post Office.

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ah bloody hell I'm lucky i didn't have a cuppa in my hand reading that final line!! Great report and congrats on the race, a lot more to come too.

Was there many spectators in attendance or were ya even aware of crowd support going through that final lap?

• Advertisement

Brilliant comment from your mate. I’d glanced at he pic before I read your report and the phrase ‘Chorlton Runner’ came to mind, but the pension heist attempt is far more topical!

Unlucky really. Looks like there was nothing in it. You might have come away with silver if you’d been first to the table! Anyway you’ll have plenty more opportunities in the future and a bronze on your masters debut is a terrific result.

Thanks folks.

@Comic Book Guy There was quite a small crowd there if you're not counting athletes I'd say. I could hear a bit for the first two laps but heard nowt on the last two.

It was a lot more enjoyable than I expected to be racing like that. I forgot to add that I got my second spike related injury this month as I stabbed my thumb picking them out of the car when I got home. Dangerous yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent read. Brilliant comment at the end too. I literally laughed out loud and nearly woke the little one beside me.

Great running and very interesting to read the detail on shorter racing. I always find those race reports a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Congrats on the medal and podium place @Dubh Geannain , you've got a nice medal collection going on this year. Let's hope you can keep it going! I'm still baffled how you were not awarded 2nd place,I looked at though he nudged you through the line. I think more experience in championship races and you'll time the surge better, a great performance and report!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great run and report there N ! The winner lives a few doors down from me. Fair play to you, so close to gold, your time will come I'm sure.

Nice fella. He was telling me about fishing regularly out near Trim in the past. He must be in some shape as he had run the 1500 earlier and said he was absolutely delighted with the slow pace. He didn't tell us that before the race though 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Fair play on the race Dubh Geannain and well done on the medal, always frustrating to lose out on such close margins as not a reflection of the shape but rather the minute details of the race so can go either way on any given day. Still take it and use it to fire you up for the rest of the year, only January and plenty more racing to be had going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Congratulations! Delighted to read this 😀 Isn’t track racing great! Plenty more to come from you there, roll on the outdoors and I’m looking forward already to those race reports.

Btw, the timing system goes to thousandths but only publishes hundredths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done DG, if only you’d shaved your head you’d have been more aerodynamic like the winner and might have taken gold!

Great run and report

TbL

Jan 31 - Feb 06

Monday - 14.7 km 4:35 pace. After the race on Sunday I didn't even do a cooldown as it was wild out and I was rushing home. I'd targeted 200 km for January so left myself with 14.5 km to do on the last day of the month. I told my wife I'd be around and hour and set out. Realised around 25 minutes in I'd be well past the hour mark and didn't want herself to be worrying so the run turned into a progression from there as I worked my way down from 4:50s/km to 4:20s. Discussed with her when I got home if I'd run the Trim 10 mile on Sunday. Not a hope I said. Trim were in the Intermediate All Ireland final at 3:30 and we were all going to head to that. I'd played with almost all the team when I was lining out.

Tuesday - 8 km @ 4:50/km. Little recovery after Mondays effort. Got a text from a clubmate to see if I was running the National Masters Cross country. No I said. What about the 10 miler? No again. All Ireland final and I'm more middle distance focussed etc etc.

Wednesday workout - (3x600R, 30s r/, 200FR, 7 min jog). Back into it this evening and around the hotel. I think I prefer here for fast stuff in the evenings more than the business park. I'll not welcome the later sunsets of the summer (but will really) as it will no doubt be busier in the future with golfers and residents and I can't sneak around the laps as much. Target for the 600s were 1:48 and I hit 1:46, 1:48, 1:47. Rest of 30s not quite enough to catch breathe before hitting the 200s hard. I allowed myself to push a bit harder than the target of 32 and see where it took me 31, 30, 29. The hotel is a bit generous I always feel for the pace particularly on the laps so the 600s may have been a second or two slower in reality but happy with the 200s on definitely tired legs. Thoughts on running Sunday? Still no. I was on course to break my weekly mileage record at the rate I'd started the week so figured one more easy run and session would have me at high fifty something for the 7 days without even needing a long run. Monday had been long enough for me.

Thursday - Rest. My sister announced she'd a spare entry to the 10 mile race. No thanks.

Friday - 9.1 km @ 4:55/km. Nice easy run. Feeling pretty good. Same clubmate texts me again about the football and the race comes up again. Would I be mad to run Sunday? I'm now 7 kms shy of my weekly target, would I get away with it? Maybe I will I tell him. Well get a club singlet if you are.

Saturday - Rest. A load of locals ran the course Saturday morning as they had entered the race but were heading to Croker for the day Sunday. I couldn't have joined them due to kids activities. It was a miserable enough day anyway but it meant that I was offered an entry by a friend. I finally went and picked up a club singlet joking it was a statement of intent and the pendulum swung from not running towards maybe running as the timing lined up with the baby's nap and us making Croker in good time. No need to be dragging the kids to the pub before throw-in. Had another think on it and then said feic it I'll take it. Called over to my mate at 8 pm for the race number. He was keeping the T-Shirt though 😀

Sunday - Military operation getting the kids all ready for the road before popping over to transfer the number to my name. Back home again to put the baby down for her nap before rushing out again to warm up. I must be mad.

I'll try and put up a report later.

Apologies for the length but it'll stand alone for me as a 10 mile race for some time. I want it here to remind myself not to be so foolhardy when dealing with bigger distances. That's if I ever consider going near one again 😑

Pre-Race

I was thinking of the guys who ran the course yesterday and how they might have in fact have picked a better day to run the course. It was cool and breezy.

I jogged up to the finish line with my bag on my back to leave at the bag drop wearing my new club singlet. I met one of my teammates here. He’s a regular marathoner, having run two already this year and more planned. He’d never broke the hour for a 10 mile before but felt in the shape to do it if it was a good day. Today was not that day he said on account of the weather. Not being familiar with the course I asked him how I should approach the run (1) having never run a 10 mile race before (2) having not trained for such a distance and (3) not tapering for it. And by the way, I’d love to crack an hour for it too 😊. I'm sure he thought this lad has notions. The wind was to be in our favour for the first couple of miles and to make the most of it was the advice. Then expect to be slowing down when the route turns into it at around 3.5 miles with a long uphill drag for 2 miles before turning for home for the second half of the race and then see how you’re going then. Also, try and run in a group because of the wind.

Made my way up to the start area where the rain started coming in sideways. So I join a few runners sheltering at the side of one of the buildings waiting for it to pass, before heading up to the start line and finding a place behind several Trim singlets including my adviser. I’d finished a bit ahead of him in the masters cross country and most of the other lads but should have heeded the massive difference that exists between 6 km cross country and 10 miles on the road. The two lads I tailed for the cross country were there too. While being foolish in assuming I might finish in the middle of all of them I wasn’t foolish enough to decide on the same tactic and tail the two fastest lads again. These guys are all serious distance runners. Still I naively figured I’d probably be sandwiched between all of them Trim guys in the race.

Trim 10 Mile Race

Mile 1 to 4 (5:48, 5:46, 5:51, 5:58)

The gun goes off and I’m right on the inside keeping my head down coming out of the business park to avoid clipping the kerb and end up momentarily mounting the footpath. Down towards Lidl with the wind at our backs I was feeling nice and relaxed. Another runner beside me is looking at his watch and does a double take, then a triple take. I know from running the road here that that particular patch always gives ropey pace data so I let him know and he thanks me. We turn at the Lidl and I am beside my friend again. We acknowledge each other and run together in a still sizeable group for a while. Mile 1 beeps in 5:48. Pretty good I think to myself. Over the next mile smaller groups are starting to form. I can see 3 of the top Trim runners ahead and a group in between us and them. There’s a gap growing between ours and the next so I decide to move to the next group and a few follow my initiative. The next mile comes in 5:46. I think I’m giving myself a nice buffer here. The groups have become splintered again. One thing I remember at this stage is noticing the noise of everyone’s runners as I wonder to myself if I should have splashed out an a pair of high end shoes. I’m wearing Asics Magic Speed which certainly don’t sound like what these guys are wearing. I think it has a half carbon plate if that’s much help. Anyway, I can still see my 3 clubmates ahead maybe 30 metres. They’re moving slightly further away but I just concentrate on each of the next small groups in front of me. I must have passed 7 or 8 runners as I wanted to be a big enough group for the turn into the wind. Mile 3 in 5:51. I wondered at this point if my friend was close behind which would validate my opening pace I wasn’t long finding out. I started to find myself slowing slightly and my breathing starting to get a bit more heavy over the 4th mile. I’m not catching people anymore and let the group I was in start to pull away a little. Time to catch my breath a bit I think to myself. Just before we come into Dunderry I’m swallowed by the next group of runners. I get a hello from my friend so I think, okay not too bad. I say to him “it’s great to get picked up by a group before we turn here”. I don’t hear anyone breathing as heavy as me though, I think to myself. Around 100m later we turn the corner into the wind before mile 4 beeps in 5:58.

Mile 5 to 7 (6:27, 6:13, 6:08)

The wind and drag isn’t long chopping the group up from a nice clump of runners into a double and single file line. I’m feeling it a little slipping to the back here and but hope to hang on at the tail. We’re soon at a water table. Not even thirsty I reach and grab a bottle. Just wet my mouth a little and swallow maybe half a mouthful. The whole act seemed to enough to knock me out of my ailing rhythm though and I just can’t keep with the group anymore. I’m cast adrift gasping as they head off up the hill without me. I’m finished I think to myself. What the fck am I doing here. I feel my stomach tighten and think I might be about to vomit. I start thinking of what I’d eaten in the morning. I should have thought about it more and planned it. But, I hadn’t planned on running this. I shouldn’t have run so much earlier in the week. But, I hadn’t planned on running this. Maybe I should have done some more 10 mile paced stuff in the last few weeks. WTF why would I have, sure I hadn’t planned on running this. Wait. Then why the fck am I running this!?

I’m not even 5 miles yet and feeling woeful. (I wasn’t looking at my watch here but Strava tells me my pace went from 6:02 to 7:16 very very quickly. I was toast.) I keep putting one foot going in front of the other with the only motivation at this point being that I have to get home and at almost the maximum distance away I can’t even turn around the way I came. I need to just keep the feet moving to get home. Another group catches me as I’m in the horrors and I cop another Trim singlet. He says something to me I think. No idea what but I’m sure it was encouragement. Maybe my last rites. I can’t muster a response. Very soon him and his group of about 8 are disappearing up the hill ahead of me. Another single runner goes past before a group of 3 runners containing another Trim vest catches me. My watch must have beeped very close to this point. I’m so dishevelled it takes a moment to register that that was the fifth mile so I’m too slow to react to even see the split but I look at the time eventually and see 30:0something (the 5th mile was in fact 6:27). The thought hits me that these must be the 60-minute group. It’s only 3 runners and I really don’t know how I managed it but the spark of 60 minutes had me hanging onto the back of them somehow. I let them do all the work dragging me through the next mile which is a blur apart from knowing we turned the corner to head back to Trim in there somewhere. 6:13 beeps for the 6th mile. I’m on the way home and this might be my group if I can just stick with them. I begin to regain my composure a little and have relaxed a bit here. During the 7th mile I find myself a couple of times to the front of our quartet. I wasn’t intentionally doing it but one of the other runners must have been working off me. I could hear my club mate beginning to breathe a bit more heavily and shortly after it’s just three of us. We come upon one runner who had stepped off the road and re-joins with us. Then catch another before ascending a hill. Near the top another runner who has stopped re-joins too. The group is starting to get bigger again. A rangy runner in black joins the group from behind before blasting past us. The watch beeps for 6:08. I have the thought that maybe this isn’t the 60-minute group after all. I think momentarily of going with the lanky fella but don’t feel I’m fit to.

Mile 8 to 10 (6:01, 5:50, 5:45)

Our group around 7 or 8 now as it is joined by another couple of runners that don’t hang in long before making a break. It was a lady in an Edenderry vest and another guy who’s details I can’t even remember. She was leading the charge and appeared the stronger of the two so I gritted my teeth and went with them. We open a gap from the larger group and are away. Mile 8 is 6:01. I’ve no idea where my overall time stands now but I am going to try and finish as hard as I can. Two miles is only 3 km I tell myself. I can run that quicker than I’m currently doing. Right in the middle of mile 9 there’s another bit of a bump. The guy was already starting to drift off before the Edenderry girl lets out a few loud wheezes just as we crested the hill. He gets dropped and then she does. I’m hurting again myself now but am solely focussing the distance left. 1.5 miles left that’s less than 2 km and I can run a pair of 2 Ks quicker than this. I let the legs spin away. Mile 9 is 5:50. The gap to the runners ahead never looked to be closing much but there had been a guy up ahead who might as well have had a target on his back though for the last 2 miles as that is who I was going to catch. 0.5 miles left, is only 800m. I can catch him I think and do eventually just before the entrance to the business park for the last 400m only to be met with the roughest wind of the day. I’m not easing off until the finish line though but am inevitably slowed down by the windy onslaught gasping and wheezing my way through the tunnel. I must have looked over my shoulder 3 or 4 times to make sure the guy wasn’t coming back at me. I can see the finish line but can’t read the clock for a long time. Eventually it comes into focus. 59:44!! No bloody way! How far away is that? I can’t even judge the distance but hear someone shout “you can make sub-60”. I don’t know who made the decision but I’m suddenly accelerating again literally going under the clock at 59:59. Feicen Hollywood stuff. I’m straight onto the railing to hold myself up before being ushered off to find a soggy kerb to sit on.

My own watch was stopped at 59:56 so I was fairly sure I’d done it. After a few minutes I could talk to a couple of people. Met Quickfeet too who ran a PB. And my clubmate, who said the hour wasn’t on today had run 59:30. He was delighted. We were both off to the match so started to jog back in the direction of home together. Both my calves cramped up before I got out of the business park so it was a very ginger trot home.

Official chip time of 59:55 PB.

I don’t think I’ll ever pull a stunt like that again. If I want to race something that long I’ll bloody prepare properly for it or just enjoy it for the decent workout that it is. No need to go chasing arbitrary, although pleasantly round, numbers. Lots of lessons learned from that near death experience. And while it’s taken the one hour monkey off my back he was really only a small fella that I probably could have lived with carrying around a while longer.

I ended up with 59.7 km (37 miles) for my week. A weekly record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done, great account of it and some effort over the last 2 Miles. I went past the Edenderry runner on the last turn actually now I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Brilliant report! I really like how you just throw yourself into these things, yes maybe more prep would be a good idea but I feel like we could all learn from you in not overthinking these races! That Edenderry woman has an Irish vest for masters xc I think, she's our neighbour down home.

Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great run and report N. Like I mentioned on my own log, can't be easy going from 800m to 10 miles in a week. That said, it worked out well for quick feet too ! NIA next week ?

It looked to work for him alright J. I'm hesitant to say it worked for me though but thanks.

I looked at the NIA. Must be 800 week with the amount of entries for it but it's not on for me. I'm off on stag next weekend and hoping to be taking it a little easy the following days.

Cheers V. In a couple of weeks I'll hopefully look back a bit less critically on myself. She played a massive part in getting me there. If I didn't follow her there would have been no sub-60.

Thanks D. Trying to give an accurate account but there were definitely blurry bits in there. Just reread what I've posted and I'm not even sure in fact I made it to a rail at the finishing line. I may have been doubled over in the middle of the finishing chute and in your way before being moved along.

Jaysus that's some effort man. Some recovery the last two miles. Unreal. Great account of the suffering. Wouldn't read too much into what you did during the week. The suffering was probably down to two things. You havent optimally trained for ten miles. But moreso you went off hard, probably faster than threshold and then the wind hits you hard. Those "slower" miles probably brought you back into threshold territory. The cramps on the cooldown probably tell you the legs were pushed to the limit.

You've huge potential if you wanted to target the longer stuff. Running sub 60 off non optimal training and relatively low mileage....unreal.

Brilliant stuff - there's a lot of talent there, I think. Who knows what you could do with a specific training block. To make that milestone at the first attempt is some achievement at the best of times.

And a great report too. Many congrats on an excellent day (sorry about the GAA though).

Ah interesting. The science explanation. Thanks. I'd the watch set to miles too which I don't use often so I couldn't tell off hand what 5:45-5:50/mile is in kms and so how far beyond what I'd consider tempo pace for me I was. People that know their paces well can smile smugly at that and know they shouldn't have to experience such a blow up. It's not pleasant.

Thanks Murph. There's a discussion in E.Coli's log about kids and running too. Happy to get the mileage I do manage and sure we'll see as they get a bit older. Well outclassed on Sunday in the football. No complaints. They gave us a terrific run.

Most people don't recover from those blow ups . You did phenomenally well to finish with those last two miles especially considering how tough the last 400m is. Says a lot really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB! Absolutely brilliant read, you summed up the pain so well...imagine what you'd achieve with specific training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I was convinced half-way through your report that you'd made a bollox of Trim. What a recovery. Savage running and enjoy the sub-60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Savage run and a great report too. Really enjoyed reading it. That 5th mile was a killer, only matched by the last 400 into the wind!

Thanks folks. I was convinced myself I'd made a bollox of it with a touch of Icarus with my approach which could and maybe should have ended my participation. The 5th mile didn't have to be the killer it was.

Thanks Lainey. I was doing a bit of imagining since. The general theme is if days were maybe 25 hours I'd have a little more scope to get more mileage in. Or maybe I'd just find more work to do 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭munsterfan2

Great running, that was a horrible day for it. I was a bit slower, running with the 80min pacers but also found the 5 - 8 mile stretch very tough mentally. It was only when I noticed that the group (maybe 25) had split badly during that stretch (down to about 7) that I realised I wasnt the only one suffering. Had a bit in the tank coming into last km so finished in 1:18, 2 min under target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

That section after you turn left out of Dunderry till you turn left back for Trim is very tough, even tougher when you’re running into a strong wind!!! Superb performance man, real grit and mental fortitude to dog the sub 60.

Post edited by OOnegative on

I was thinking more about your run and some of the comments we've sent your way and just wanted to get one last word in..😂

It's easy be influenced by the tide of comments about you having huge potential at the longer stuff. Just make sure you stick with what you enjoy. It's easy to be swayed towards particular distances when you see most folks on the forum training for marathons. But there are plenty of folks who are quite happy doing the shorter stuff, or even mixing it up during the year - MurphD can go from 800m training to marathon training in one year. There's a few others on here who are 100% shorter stuff. Yes you have huge potential at the longer stuff but you also do at the shorter stuff.

Sorry, just wanted to get that out there. lol. Do whatever you enjoy and keeps you running.

Appreciate that @Swashbuckler . The head does get turned a bit alright with all the great long distance logs but having just bit off a little more than I can chew this week I'm more than happy to keep working on the shorter stuff for a while.

@OOnegative . Cheers. The team got second overall and I think 5 of them were ahead of me so it was very much an effort for myself in the end. There's looks to be a glut of talent there at the moment as I mentioned after the Masters CC.

Congrats on the run. You must have realised you were ahead of target but drove on in the last km anyway instead of just cruising home. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Great stuff

Cross Country, 800m indoors and a 10 miler in quick succession, my kinda log. Fair play and for those mentioning potential on the longer distances the other way to look at it is look at the likes of Coe and Ovett, Takes good aerobic power to be a 800/miler, Great winter strength for a solid summer track season if that is the aim

Ahem. Short summary since Trim. It was about 4 or 5 days before my legs were right. I remember that much.

Took the week easy then went on a stag weekend so another easy week followed before being a little ill the third week. So that's the guts of a month on from Trim covered.

I was ramping up nicely again before getting sick a second time. Not too badly but i wasn't fit for much for about 4 days. Still somehow never got COVID though. There's been a good bit of training in there too managing at least 1 session a week and I've even got my average weekly mileage into the mid 30s for a couple of weeks straight which is above anything I've managed before. We'll see if there's a knock on benefit from that. Hoping to run the county masters track at the end of this month. Still need to decide on a distance for that though.

That's the condensed version of the last few weeks anyway.

Work and life got very busy in February and then Russia invaded Ukraine so I've not visited the forum at all spending my online time following events there. But I've been on Strava and know there's a big L shaped marathon coming up for some along with some other targets so now to get myself to to date here 🙂

• Advertisement

I'm hoping the consistency has left me in good shape despite not following a distinct plan. I think during the first few months of the year I did proportionally more Tempo work than I would have last year and a fair bit less 800m paced stuff. Apart from a couple of bouts of illness I've felt pretty good lately. I've found myself coping well with 400m (and some 600m) reps at 4:50 mile pace during other workouts. Time (literally) will tell if that's ill founded.

So hoping to see what I can do after the past couple of months. Here's the summary -

7-13 Feb - 20 miles

Week after the 10 miler. Lots of easy days. I stopped in Athlone on the way to a stag on the Friday to do some 400s at Interval pace. The legs were still tires (5 days later).

Friday Session - 10x400 w/ 60s rest. 400s were averaged in 77 secs. Had a nice thirst worked up for when I landed. On the Sunday I went for a run out to Salthill, probably with a porter still on board. Ended up running right through the front of the big cycle lane protest just before they set off. I broke through the front of the caravan to be met with a brass band playing a mid sized crowd gathered and some local and national media. I had a quick check the following week to make sure none of the coverage included my wild looking head emerging dazed and confused from the front of the pack. Phew.

14-20 Feb - 19 miles

Few more easy days before chancing something on the Thursday.

Sunday session - Intervals 24x(40s on, 30 off). I remember enjoying this and hitting some decent paces on some of the 40 seconds on. I really didn't feel like I was but maybe I pushed it much as I ended up wiped out sick a day later and didn't run for the next 3 days. I put it down to not just the session but a hectic fortnight in general with the session giving me a chance to rest up for a few days.

21-27 Feb - 30 miles

Wednesday session. 4x400R, 4x200FR. I made the decision I needed to get back doing some mile paced and 800 paced stuff after a month of not doing any work at these. The original session is 4x300FR but I wanted to ease myself back into it and just make sure I held my form. The 400s were fine and I ended up running the 200s at faster than 800 pace so was happy with the systems check.

Sunday session. 4x2kT w/ 500m jog.

28 Feb - 6 March - 30 miles

I had a head hold this week so lots of slow easy runs as I tried to prevent it getting it into my chest. I stubbornly wanted to get my 30 miles in for the week and by the Sunday I'd 9 miles to do. Set off nice an slow for it but noticed I'd been progressing during the kms as I warmed into it so it ended up as a 9 mile progression run.

7 March - 13 March - 14 miles

Everyone was getting COVID and I was sure that's what I was fighting myself but tested religiously throughout and it always came back negative. Ended up with 5 days of no running with the last two due to my friends wedding which I really wanted to be healthy for. Made it through unscathed and finished the week with a 10 mile run on the Sunday with a couple of 1 km pickups.

14 March - 20 March - 29 miles

First decent week after a couple of false restarts.

Wednesday session - Intervals 4x800 w/ 2 min jog. Average pace 3:18/km. Was happy with that.

Sunday session - 8 x 1km T w/ 1 min jog. Felt good and handled this well. Average pace was around 3:40/km

21 March - 27 March - 34 miles

Another decent week.

Thursday session. 8x(400R with 2 min walk) I was in Portlaoise and found a nice flat business park for this. Times were 71,70,71,69,71,69,71,66. The wind was in my face every odd one hence the yo yo times. Target was 70-72.

Saturday session. 5 km hard progression. Didn't have the interest in a Tempo reps today so I decided I'd get it all done in one starting at 3:42/km finishing in 3:29. 18:13 for the 5 k.

28 March - 03 April- 36.5 miles

My second highest mileage week ever. Started the week with 10k Steady on the Monday but I can't for the life of me remember why. Pace was 4:16/km.

Thursday session - 4x(1k w/3 min jog). Back in Portlaoise again. Chose a straight suburban road for these that only needed to cross 1 roundabout. The wind was in my face on the odd ones and from the start found the pace tough. I'd flirted with maybe 5 reps but knew midway through the 3rd rep that 4 would be it for me today so pushed that last little bit on the 4th. 3:18, 3:21, 3:20, 3:16. I probably ran the 1st too hard into the wind and ended up paying for it.

Sunday session - 4x400R, 4x300FR. Right back to some harder paced stuff again. I knew I was on for a high mileage week so wanted to be smart here and try and just gauge the effort level. The 400s were respectable 71s and 72s. This route around the hotel is generous with pace so I knew I was probably even a second or so slower than that. The 300s were 49,46,50,47. I was happy that I'd managed all the reps I'd given myself to do here.

04-10 April- 22.5 miles

Just couldn't seem to get the time to get out the door enough during this week but at least managed one decent session. I got to do a run in Corkagh Park while passing.

Wednesday session - 4x(1mile T w/ 1:30 jog). A bumpy enough route around the back of Dunshaughlin. 5:57, 5:58, 6:00, 5:53. I was working a little harder that I would have liked for a couple of these but was reminding myself of the advantage of not always choosing perfectly flat routes for Tempos and slower paced stuff.

11 - 17 April - 35.5 miles

Started the week with an easy long run on the Monday to try and make up for lower mileage the previous week. This included 2 sets of 6 hills at a hard effort over 25-28 seconds. I was over in the same area of Dublin again this week so got another easy run in Corkagh park this week also.

Wednesday Session - 4x500R, 4x200Fast. 500s were 89, 89, 87, 87 which were perfect pace. The 200s were 30, 30, 30, 29. I know these were after the 500s but I was hoping I'd be able to nip under 30 for them all and maybe even a little faster on the last. Still though, the 500s left me feeling good after the workout.

Sunday session - something different. 4x(1 mile @10k pace with 3:30 jog). The 3:30 jog was decided mid-flight as my first recovery jog approached the 3 minute mark :) I haven't run a 10 k in some time so aimed at 3:35 pace. The miles were 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:42 which was an average pace of 3:34/km. It worked me into a good sweat anyway.

18 - 24 April - 30 miles

We were in the North for a few days where I got one "easy" run in. A nice jog down the the back of Lough Neagh. I didn't realise when I planned my route that I'd basically be running downhill for 4.5 km and then back up again. Not a massive slope but long and tiring towards the end of my supposed easy run.

Wednesday session - 3x(200R, 400R, 600R) - I'd the kids with me for this on their bikes. They stayed with me for the first half before getting bored/hot and waiting at the exercise machines in the Porchfields as I trundled over and back. The section on grass always requires a little extra concentration as it's not perfectly flat. I ended up staying on the path for the last set of 3. No additional recovery between the sets and targets were 36, 72 and 1:48. I didn't miss one so was sásta before heading off on our trip.

Sunday session - 5x(1k Intervals w/ 3 min jog). This one left me a little giddy after. Only to arrive home and discover that the garmin file had become corrupted! But I wasn't going to let it cast doubt over what I saw on the watch though. I was sure I'd seen it. This was another attempt at what I hoped to do n Portlaoise 3.5 weeks earlier. I was determined to get 5 reps in this time. So started sensibly with a 3:24. Next two were straightforward 3:19, 3:20. I found I was starting them all pretty comfortably before upping the effort a little over the last 200 m which was probably brining the time down a second or so. I knew after the 3rd that I'd be well fit for the 5 today. So on the 4th I tried for a more consistent effort throughout the Km - 3:17. With 4 done I could relax and see where the 5th took me again deciding to not hold back to allow a stronger finish. Around a quarter way I note the pace is hovering around 3:10 but I'm not really reaching. At halfway I was still holding it together fine. With the usual 200 to go I decided I again could give it a little more and kicked again. The watch beeped at 3:09. At least 6 or 7 seconds faster than what I would have expected/hoped. I was delighted to be honest. To finish that 5th rep at a pace that's only 9 seconds off my target mile pace gave me a good lift. But I've no proof it ever happened 😂 I think because I stopped the watch and re-started it for my cool down almost immediately the data file just didn't have time get resolved in the software.

So that's where I'm at. A decent last week has left me feeling optimistic of what I might manage over the mile. It been useful for me to go back over what I've done the last couple of months too, so apologies for the really long entry.

25 April - 01 May 19 miles

Low mileage week on account of racing Saturday and then giving myself today off. Legs were actually tired after the 1 k session on the Sunday so I'd no long runs at all this week. Easy 6.5 km Monday and Tuesday before the Wednesday session.

Wednesday Session - 4x300R, 4x150FR. Done on grass around the GAA pitch while one of the kids trained for soccer there. Shorter reps than normal and not fussed about the pace particularly just wanting to turn the legs over.

Easy 5 km on Thursday before planning to run my first ever 1,500 race at the Meath Track and Field Championships on the Saturday.

I'd marked this as a potential race about a month ago. I don't have season plans as such so it's as good of notice I'd normally give myself for any kind of race (the Trim 10 miles was 1 days notice). With that in mind, I did consciously make sure to get the mile paced sessions in managing 4 out of the last 5 weeks. This week gone I was a little tired after the Sunday session but was going to be cutting the weekly mileage anyway so expected plenty of recovery time. Friday though I was once again not feeling 100% after a couple of bad nights with the baby and getting a chill while coaching GAA another night.

On Saturday though I convinced myself I'd be able to muster a performance and that any wooliness I was feeling was in my head. My lungs and legs were good to go, so I was racing.

Meath Track and Field Championships 1,500 m

A tradition from my footballing days that I reserve for when I'm not feeling quite myself is I drink a can of red bull an hour and a half before any event I may be doing that day. The shop was only selling sugar free stuff though so I reached for a fake red bull alternative. The weather during the day went from wet to wetter but the wind was nicely absent.

Made it to Dunboyne around a half hour before the race was due to start and noted that it was running around 10 minutes behind before heading off for my warm up jog. I got back to the track to be told that the race would be starting soon. I noted that the women were still running so knew that the Junior/Senior men would be off before us so I'd another 10 minutes. Into the changing rooms I went to get into my kit. The changing room was fairly bustling with young and old fellas chatting away. I have a little chat with a couple of lads before disappearing into the only toilet. Hmm, someone had defecated on the toilet behind the seat. They must have been standing up I think to myself surprisingly not completely disgusted by the sight. My main concern though was that I would now get the blame! With young kids I'm well used to this sort of exercise at this stage but eventually decide not to touch it as I don't see enough paper to do the job so get out the door as quick as I can. Outside and my spikes are not even tied I get told the race is starting now. "What?". They're running them 1,500s all in one race. "Feic". So no time to do any strides, stretches or quicker stuff, I do a few hops and a couple of 20 yard take offs before lining up at the line. There's probably around 15 other runners and I'm the second to the outside. I'd worked out my ideal times in the morning. Laps of 54, 72, 72 and under 72 would have me around 4:30 which is a mile equivalent of around 4:51 and so close to my sub 4:50 target for 2022. If I could even nip a bit under that... I wasn't going to race so hard that I'd be too feiced to check my watch I was going to be sensible. There's Dunboyne runner that came second in the Masters CC earlier this year. I was intending to use him as a guide for pacing myself as I knew he's loads of experience and ran 4:22 I think at one point last year.

Lap 1 - 0:53

We set off and I make my way cautiously across the track to the rail. I'm probably around the middle of the field but sitting outside someone around the first bend. I wait for some space before making my way to the rail just before crossing the line to a perfect first split.

Lap 2 - 1:13

I note there's one runner gapping the entire field and my Dunboyne pacer is leading the chase pack. I'm around a second or 2 further back as I'm passed by clubmate Ronan. I let them go a little bit. I have a momentary thought about my energy levels and whether I should be racing but decided quickly I was fine. The lap was a little slower than planned but still around target and I don't feel goosed.

Lap 3 - 1:13

As I enter this lap I suddenly think of a mantra Murph wrote about on his log but all I could remember was Jimmy McGuinness and focus. "What was it? Focus something? Dammit, just focus". I wasn't sure how I was feeling on this lap but know it wasn't tongue out effort level so I did just focus. I'm around 4 or 5 seconds from the main chase pack but not necessarily detached as there's another runner between me and them.

Lap 4- 1:05

I feel I'm in good nick as I come up beside the back chaser with 400 to go. Again not wanting to be stuck on the outside for long I decide to kick a bit and actually ease past him. This gave me a bit of confidence as I realised I could probably wind it up properly here so that's what I did as I started to close on the chasing pack. Around the last bend I pass one. With about 80 to go I think I can catch Dunboyne. Surely not but I do and then keep going actually pass a young fella just before the line and almost catching the lead chaser too who was my clubmate. I hit the split button on my watch so forgot to stop it properly for a few seconds. Having to calculate what I might have got before the official results came through. The guy I passed just after 400 to go said he ran 4:31 so I must be under 4:30 I was thinking to myself.

Result - 4:26.8 - 3rd Overall (1st M35) - PB

Okay so it's a first 1,500 m so it was always going to be a PB but going to my mile conversion I've gained around 9 seconds on my previous best. So was absolutely buzzing after it. Found it hard to believe I could pass 4 people on a final lap like that and ended up thinking I might have caught my clubmate who was 3 tenths of a second ahead of me if I'd only kicked a little sooner. Not being greedy though, and more importantly it puts me in sub 4:50 shape for the mile which at least validates my training a little.

02 - 08 May - 31 miles

Got the mileage back up again last week. Having had an easy-ish week for the 1,500 race I ended up doing 3 sort of sessions. The first one being because I was kind of pressed for time so ran a bit quicker.

Monday - 8 km steady. Pressed for time but wanted to get at least 12 km in after taking a day off after the race. 2 k warm-up. Then 7 kms at a very satisfyingly consistent pace of 3:56-3:58. Then the watch went a little haywire on the 8km so I lost my nice consistency right on the last with a 4:00. 2 km warm down.

Wednesday - 12 km easy

Thursday - 3x(600R, 30s rest, 200Fast, 7 minute jog). Target revised from 1:48 to 1:47 for the 600s after the recent race and then the 200s were to be as fast as I could muster but 32s at a minimum. The week of dodgy GPS continued so I'd no reliable pace reading for any of the reps. I was working but not reaching on the latter part of the 600s so I don't place too much belief in the actual splits for them 1:41, 1:43, 1:40. The first two 200s were great, 30 and 30, before I stopped my watch too soon on the last. So gave myself another 30s rest before doing an extra 100m to make up for it. So after the last 600R I did 130m in 21 seconds and 100m in 15 seconds. I was pretty tired that night and feeling it in legs the following morning, so maybe I was running close to the times the watch was suggesting for the 600s but don't assume so.

Friday - 6.5 km easy

Sunday - Intervals 12x(60onm 45off) - Classic Sunday night run. Out the door at 10 pm so a few opportunities to choose the road over the path which is always preferred. Looking to cover at least 300m during the 60 seconds (averaged around 310m) made it easier to work out I covered between 3650 and 3750 at interval pace which was definitely enough for the week for me.

A lot of the club runners are running the Bob Heffernan next week. I should have registered but missed the window as its a communion week here so not knowing what I might be at that day. I can register on the day though I think. So if I get the chance to run it I will. It's only a short hop away and I really want to. If I do I can safely say, barring injury, it will be a big improvement on my official PB over 5k. I won't post what it currently is for the craic but it is mentioned in the log somewhere.

Planned to front load mileage last week a little so I could ease off at the weekend due to communion related jobs and hoping to run the 5 k the following week. The week went mostly to plan apart from a trip to A&E with our 2 year old on Saturday. All fine but it meant Sunday was a monster day for work.

09-15 May - 30 miles

Monday - 6.3 km easy

Tuesday - 3x(2 km Tempo, w/ 2 min jog). The club trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays but it never suits me with kids activities. But I went out in the short window I had during one and actually came across the club runners. Was in to middle of a Tempo section unfortunately so I had to rudely keep motoring past them on the other side of the road.

Thursday - 14.4 km easy in 67 mins. This weeks long run. Wind in my face for most of the last 6 km but still it was pretty relaxed.

Friday - Intervals - 4x(800, w/ 2 min jog). Didn't want to take on too much of a session today so went with 800s but it was a decent effort in end after the long run the day before. Reps were on 3:20/km pace.

Sunday - 5 km steady w/ 5 strides. Just over 9 km in total. I'd had Saturday off (A&E trip) and with my usual excuse of being tight for time (out at 9:30pm and craving the bed) I ran the first 5km steady-ish at just under 4:00/km pace. My back was a little stiff from the days activities so wanted to make sure it could take a bit of running too, so regardless of the day I was determined to get out. And I was glad I did. It felt really easy and I got home happy that I've given myself a sort of taper for Tuesday's race. But today I am a little baked. Not due to the run. More so down to spending a few hours on Sunday drilling concrete before relaying some flag stones. So I spent a lot of time hunkered down or bent over during the day. But both the legs and back are just a little fatigued today. But I still think/hope I'll be in good enough shape to run tomorrow.

Bob Heffernan and Mary Hanley 5 km

This was pointed out to me a couple of weeks back that a lot of the club runners do this race and that it is a fast course. I missed the online registration but decided a couple of weeks back that I'd run it. My last 5k race was the Braveheart 2019 where my PB of 18:45 was from. So a PB was all but guaranteed 😀.  I'd run a debatable 16:59 in a TT in the second half of last year though so this fed into my 2022 target of hoping to run a time of 16:3x this year. There hasn't been any training towards that target specifically but taking paces from 800 and mile training, my interval paces tend to be around 3:20/km. Five of them back to back is 16:40. Could I really manage that though? I'd taken great confidence from a 5x1k workout a few weeks back albeit with 3 minutes recovery and it certainly boded well for my 1,500 race the following week. But 5 k is a different beast though as I'm now well aware after what is only my second ever 5 k race, that I can recall anyway.

Pre-race

Felt good all day but as it dragged on I could feel my energy levels waning a little. I'd started getting paranoid that I might be coming down with something (one or two in the house currently have colds). I arrived at 7 pm and registered and then went into the hotel function room briefly to see where the bag drop was. Coming back out to find the registration queue had swelled quite a bit so I'd timed my arrival perfectly. Went for a jog out to the start line. I travelled about 1.5 km before giving up on seeing it so turned and ran back to the village to grab my bag from the car and get ready properly. After changing I become conscious of the time so rush across to drop the bag off.

I notice WW on the other side of the road and go to step out to introduce myself but thought I didn't have enough time to spare and this stage. Maybe I'll drop the bag off and catch up to him on the jog out to the start line. I'd taken an energy drink again in the car on the way over to try and waken myself up a bit but it wasn't looking to have an effect today. Jogging back out to the start line I'm trudging and not feeling energetic at all. My pace is staying at 5:00/km as I don't feel any urge to get myself warmed up properly. I was passed by all and sundry on the run out to the start. Really wasn't feeling it. By the time I got to the start I could hear the announcer say 8 minutes to start. I find a side road and do a few active stretches before 2 strides. That was it. I then found myself at portaloos as one of he occupants vacated one. There was no one around at this stage as they'd all made their way to the start. I then considered not racing at all and just jogging back to the car. But convinced myself, even if I'm not 100% I should be aiming for low 17 minutes anyway. I'll get a good training benefit. Eventually I snap out of it and head for the start as they're letting cars pass. This was lucky as it meant I could wander up the right hand side of the road as far as I wanted. Really wasn't sure where I should be starting I end up about 5 rows from the front. Right just don't go out too hard here.

Race

1 km - We're off and I go with the pace for the first 200 or so just to avoid tripping or getting tripped. I then let myself slow down to 3:20 pace as floods of people started to pass me. Teammate Tom says hello as he goes by. Teammate Ronan passes quietly on my shoulder soon after. I wasn't really sure how I was feeling at this stage. I certainly wasn't bothered to have gone backwards in the field so much. I'd guess 50 people went past me in the first km but wasn't panicking. Watch beeped at 3:19. Maybe a little faster to start than I would have liked but not crazy.

2 km - I notice another of my teammates is ahead of me. The first two guys that had gone past, I wouldn't be expecting to be ahead of. I'd ran with him for part of the 10 mile though and ended up finishing ahead of him that day. This is a shorter race so I decide to match his pace from around 10 metres back. I feel controlled enough at this stage and people soon stop going past me. We turn off the main road and the breeze is now in our faces so I try to row in behind people when I can. Split 3:18

3 km - Into the 3rd km. I tell myself it's less than 2 miles to go so this is the time to dig in. I edge up beside my teammate here and acknowledge him before starting to move on. On a couple of occasions I found myself to the front of packs of runners and make the decision to surge to the next one for cover from the breeze. I did this maybe 3 times I think. In my head I then think maybe I shouldn't be doing this but I notice that I picked up a passenger who had gone with me on 2 of the surges. They never came up beside me or went past though. I felt I had to keep going. Split 3:21

4 km - Okay maybe the surging wasn't a good idea as my breathing starts to turn into gasping but I was still catching people before settling at the back of a group. I feel like easing off the pace big time here so lose a couple of metres on them but somehow will myself to re-attach to them again. I'm on the shoulder of a lady in this group. She gives me a glance and but I sit there. Maybe 30 seconds later I get another glance. Ah, it must be my gasping that's bothering her. I'll have to gasp somewhere else then so make another surge to pull away from this group and close quickly on the next set of runners. Three ladies this time. There's space along the side of the road to go right past them but just as I'm going by one of them checks me and I've to step on the ditch a little before slowing slightly. I've gotten boxed in now. I wait for her to move out again which seems to take an age before moving on. The old metallic taste in my mouth is back at this stage as my legs are writing checks my lungs can't cash. I keep telling myself this is a middle distance run now so my legs can take the pace even if my lungs can't. Split 3:23

5 km - We've rounded a 90 degree bend and the 1 km sign appears. I've been gasping for almost a km already but try and let myself freewheel as much as possible as the course becomes a little easier. Teammate Ronan (whom I could clearly see from a bit back) was getting closer to me so I just focus on trying to catch him. I wouldn't say the last km was a complete blur as I heard someone shouting encouragement at me at one stage and hear the click of a camera. I've seen 3 different pictures taken of me along here and I look fooked in all of them. There was no easing off at all now as I went past a few more runners, never catching Ronan but I think by the end there's maybe only 2-3 people between us and I end up 4 seconds behind him. I fall through the line and am ushered quickly off to the side. Split 3:08

Chip time - 16:31 PB

Post-race

I found a grass verge right beside the finish line that I kneel down on with my elbows on the ground wheezing and gasping. Eventually gravity had me lying face in the grass as I wait to recover. I don't think much time has passed but it must have because by the time I lift my head up I can see some of my teammates chatting in the distance. Some would have been 4 minutes behind me so I was a long time catching my breath again. The benefit of teammates is appreciated as one of them tell me I look a bit green 🤢 . I certainly felt it a bit but still drank a bottle of water and wolfed a banana before attempting a warm down with them. I couldn't keep up with any of them though and both my legs started to cramp anyway so I headed back to the car. I was delighted to remember the shop across the road from the car so got myself an ice cream and a 7-up first.

Thoughts after the race. Very happy I got my target even if I wasn't dead set on achieving it on the day. I wasn't really following the splits to achieve it but did figure I might be under 17 minutes anyway as the race went on. My main driver throughout was always the pace and on occasion not letting someone repass me. I'm forever equating what pace I'm running back to my mile pace and somehow convince myself that my legs can always move faster than what they are currently doing (I did this during the 10 mile race too in the last 2 miles). I think this brings with it a certain level of suffering as my lungs can't handle the load (see funny looks from other runner above and metallic taste). Does it work?? I actually wasn't passed by anyone after the start of the second km while going on to catch maybe 20-30 people myself. But I mentioned to one of my teammates who was complimenting my time that I feel a bit of a bluffer and that my time isn't really reflective of how fit I am. Maybe 20-30 seconds of it is down to me just willing to suffer more. Also, because I don't race that often there's a part of me that says "this is the last chance, now or never". Then again, maybe I was just feeling a bit off on the day and it was a combination of a few things together.

Ah here...are you for real...Your time is 100% reflective of how fit you are. Mentality/willingness to suffer/stubbornness are all part of "fitness" too. That was a hell of a run. 16.31 is no joke. Great stuff lad. Give yourself some credit will ya!

• Advertisement

Yea being for real alright. Mainly because my main lasting thoughts post race was that I'd absolutely nothing else to give and "jaysus I'll never run like that again". But also the feeling that I was redlining earlier than anyone else around me seemed to be just after halfway through, even though I was passing them. That was the impression I got.

But I like your way of looking at it though. Cheers. Definitely going to take that on board.

You certainly deserved the ice cream, well done sir! Of course you deserve the time - look at how far you've come in a few short years. It doesn't happen by accident. Terrific stuff.

Balls the size of watermelons is all I'll say. Not many people can push themselves that far to the edge. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB, absolutely brilliant time & well done for pushing yourself so much! I ran it too many, many minutes behind you🤣🤣 but I thought it was a great race & will be back to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done, That is some time and a ridiculous last 1km - no wonder the photos had ya looking fooked. Doesn't sound like you left anything out there- Congrats

• Advertisement
Advertisement