Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sub 5 minute mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

@Treviso: Haha. Yes. Work away. I hope it brings you as much luck. Apart from a few niggles every now and again I've been injury free for quite some time. The lack of GAA definitely helps.

Didn't update the log yesterday as I was eyeing up a run but decided I'd stick to my original plan in the end and have a break.

Low mileage week as expected. 18 MPW

Tuesday - 9 km easy @ 4:44 pace

Wednesday - Intervals Session - 12 x 40 hard/30 jog Last weeks postponed workout was 20 Intervals which didn't happen. As this was the big week I paired it back to 12 but ran them a little faster than I probably should have. The 40 sec intervals averaged at just over MP at 3:09/km. Felt great up until number 9 or so but stubbornly stuck at it for the 12. Once home I was fairly tired and hoping that I hadn't overcooked it.

Thursday - Rest Legs tired. Do I start making my excuses in the TT group :D

Friday - 2 miles slow Mile recon - Legs seemed to be mostly recovered after Wednesdays session but I wasn't going to add unnecessary mileage to my shakeout and reoute checking. So I drove the 3 km to the start point and then jogged out and back twice. I set the watch to imperial for the second time ever. Turnaround loop at around 800 m approximately and noted the landmarks at 400 and roughly the 1200 marks (which were almost the same locations). I did one run with the watch set to 1 mile run. It beeps at halfway and then at the end of the mile but it doesn't stop itself. So I do the next one with the watch in manual mode. There's about a metre or two difference between the two stopping points so I decide I'll run through the finish tomorrow by at least that before stopping and if my guessing is correct I should still be under 5 even with a couple of metres extra. A bit of a risk, but I tried Murphs advice and my cheapo Garmin can't be programmed with a 1 mile workout.

Saturday - 1 Mile TT Up at 6:45. Had a good bit of water and a banana and out the door at 7 am. I don't normally eat on early morning runs but figured the extra sugar might help. 3 km warm-up to the mile route. A few dynamic stretches, then some strides. Stand at the start line. Nerves. Still not feeling fully awake, so off for a couple more strides. One more false start due to nature calling before finally getting the bit between my teeth. I've jogged all the way out here so I can't go home till I nail this. Start the watch, right this is it. Ironically I'm not terribly used to the Imperial stats on the watch. I just know to watch the pace and try to keep it at 5min/m or below. The early morning might have helped after all as I certainly wasn't too quick out of the blocks. Keeping the pace around 4:50-4:55/m for the first 400. Coming up to the 800 m it drops to a low of 5:22 momentarily as I begin to feel it. Not panicking as I know I'm sure I've built a small buffer pace wise. Just make the turn and then I can kick on again. The watch beeps that the 800 is done. I've no idea of the time as I've been concentrating on the pace whenever I've glanced at the watch. Time to dig in a little as the 3rd quarter has been my undoing in the past, then let the last 400 take care of itself. Get back to under 5:00/m again before drifting a little again. I pass my 400 to go point. Still no idea of my split but I know I'm going to try and kick. Hmm, no kick. Holding strong during the 3rd quarter comes at a cost I think, so decide to hold the little for when I'm closer to the end. I let a few gasps out as I pass the only person I've met on the morning. She picked a good spot. I think I'm speeding up a little, I must have got it. Past the finish a few steps before stopping the watch. 4:57. Absolute relief and physically, although shattered, I felt so much better than when I completed my 5:02 in December. I floated home to tell the wife.

Sunday - Rest

It's been a while coming as I've been slow to adjust to a lot of the advice on here. All of which I've heeded if not been regimental enough to apply to my own training at times. I know I'm still learning but feel very lucky to have got to this point. Strava says my mile split was 4:55, while the Garmin has my mile split as 4:56. I'll take the 4:56 as the most accurate one as it splits the three different times. Speaking of Garmin, I've only just look at the data today to see how my gauging of my pace looked in the 400 m splits. These are approximate -

1/4 mile - 1:15 (74)
    1/2 mile - 2:29 (75)
    3/4 mile - 3:44 (75)
    1 mile - 4:56 (72)

My start was even slower than I expected and maybe I did manage a little kick at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Perfect splits. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations, some achievement. Really great to see a log with a happy ending, it's like a perfect novel! Roll on the sequel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just getting a word in here before you close this log :cool:

Delighted you finally cracked it. Well deserved after all the hard work.
    Looking forward to seeing what the next phase will bring.

Coming towards the end of the year. Just in case anyone was curious. I kept running after reaching the promised land. It seems this running lark is harder to quit than drinking. This year I've run more and drank less (although probably consuming more sugar). Remained injury free apart from a couple of niggles and a mild concussion suffered after a brief foray back onto the GAA pitches of Meath.

I'll post the following table having not attempted one before so see how it goes.

Month|Distance(KMs) |Workouts(including TTs)|Longest Runs|TTs|Notes
    January|201|7|17k(x2), 14k|None|None
    February|140|6|17k(x2), 13k|Noe|New baby
    March|115|9|12k, 10k(x2)|None|None
    April|197|10|14k(x2), 13k(x2), 12k|5k - 17:51|None
    May|187|10|14k, 13k, 12k(x2)|Mile - 4:56|None
    June|157|8|15k, 11k, 10.5k|800 - 2:16, 10km - 37:10|None
    July|143|10|10.5k, 9k(x2)|3km - 10:02|None
    August|146|9|13k, 11k|None|None
    September|116|6|10k, 9k|None|Back for a bit of GAA for around 4-5 weeks
    October|144|8|13k(x2), 12.5k|None|Conciously trying to increase LRs
    November|170|7|16k, 14k, 12.5k|5km - 17:17, 10 km - 36:45|Got a pair of running flats
    December|76|3|16.09k|10 mile - 60:59|None

Weekly average mileage is around 34.5 KMPW or 21.5 MPW for the year.

A few days later and I'm still feeling that 10 mile effort. I had set out at 60 minute pace but was forced to slow down after around mile 7. I don't think I'd earned or deserved a sub 60 (see my long runs and mileage totals) but thought I'd have a cheeky attempt at it for the craic. It'll be next December before I'm probably crazy enough to have another go at it.

Into the new year I'm definitely going to follow a proper plan, likely for the 800 and see where I get to with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

That 10 Miler! Out of nowhere :) any thoughts about focusing on some longer stuff?

Super progress through the distances alright. Wow. Congrats - especially off the low mileage. Interesting days ahead for you.

Bit late checking in. Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year everyone.

Thanks Murph. Low mileage is still an issue for me. I think 3 or 4 days was the longest I've gone without a run of any description this year. I'm hoping it's the consistency that helped offset the low mileage total a bit.

@Healy - I'm interested in the longer distances and will keep an eye on them but I know I can't take them seriously yet until the kids are a bit older (and me :) ) when I can afford myself a bit more running time. Getting back into the office more often post COVID would be a big help though. In my mind I figured if I could improve my mile time then I should find the speed for fast 5 Ks much easier. The 10 miler was one of my longest runs this year and the effort meant I didn't enjoy it terribly towards the end. It also took several days for my legs to feel back to normal again. Unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Did you go talk to Mr Tobin yet?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Did you go talk to Mr Tobin yet?

Oh I definitely will. Wasn't in a rush with no racing happening. I know what he looks like anyway having sussed out the Trim AC facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Oh I definitely will. Wasn't in a rush with no racing happening. I know what he looks like anyway having sussed out the Trim AC facebook page.

That 10 mile TT would definitely put you in top 5/6 fastest lads in the club, could help in regards county medals if & when that happens again!!

Probably a good idea firstly to copy and paste what I entered in the 2021 targets thread.
    In order of priority -
    1. Get an actual plan (for 800 m) starting from January 1st and stick to it
    2. 800 m - Sub 2:10 (current best 2:12(13 or 14)ish)
    3. Mile - Sub 4:50 (current best 4:57)
    4. 3 K - Sub 10:00 (current best 10:02)
    5. 5 K - Sub 17:00 (current best 17:17)
    6. 10 K - 36:30 (current best 36:45)
    7. 10 mile - Sub 60 (current best 60:59)
    8. Join a club
    9. Avoid the GAA junior D draft

So, a not altogether unplanned update I suppose as I've actually completed a phase of the first structured plan that I've ever followed this week.

I started into phase 3 of JDs 800 m plan for 30 MPW (coincidentally the exact same week as Murph started into phase 3 of a 5k plan) 7 weeks back. I'd been tipping along with 1-2 sessions per week for quite a while without hitting the mileage but hoped I'd be able to make the transition without too much issues and more importantly get the mileage consistent. It's been great not having to make so many sessions up which I did a lot of in the past without really knowing how much speed work Vs Tempo etc. I should be doing versus easy running. So the book has been a useful guide for me and the plan has motivated me to see it through more so than if I'd been making it up as I went along. So, goal number 1 is on course.

It's been tough at times to stick at it to be honest. Not from a physical perspective but just getting out the door. Nothing new there really. I've juggled the days here and there but have done every session within phase 3. Running 4-5 times per week. Instead of 6 weeks I've done 7 as I threw the February Hill challenge in as a session one week but didn't want to miss any of the prescribed ones as a result.

I started a thread on the main forum about what time of day people run as I've had to bin my night time runs after a garda raid in the estate highlighted an unsavourary character who had moved in at the end of last year. Not drugs related, which I might have preferred, but hopefully they'll be on their way again soon. So that one week when the sh1t hit the fan was the only week when I didn't hit 30 but I still got the sessions in. Even with re-adjusting my run times I've been able to maintain my momentum and keep plugging away. Last year I only hit 30 MPW two weeks in a row once and less than 7 or 8 times altogether. I've done it 6 out of 7 weeks now so pleased with that progress.

800m Plan - The Details
    I belted out an 800 m on a windy night in December to give myself a benchmark. The watch said 2:12 but I'd a generous wind on my back for what was a straight run so my true time could be as much as 2:14. Anyway I used 2:12 to determine my training paces. Now I assumed I was an 800/1,500 as opposed to a 400/800m type runner (whom Daniels differentiates between and I recall Sacksian's contribution to ITs log previously on the subject which was interesting). The main difference being the interval paces are slightly faster for the 800/1,500 runner type. Naturally I'd pick the slightly more difficult one :rolleyes:

For my runs thus far the target paces have been FastReps: 3:50/km, Reps: 3:00/km, Intervals 3:23/km, Tempo 3:40/km and M pace 3:52-4:12/km.

I've found the reps quite easy to achieve (apart from one 7 am session) with the Interval runs that bit more difficult; particularly the longer ones that approached 1 km or more. So perhaps I should have gone with the 400/800 runner type paces but I had never considered myself a sprinter and less so as I get older. I probably should have TT'd a 400. Anyway, I had initially been aiming for 3:20 on my watch as opposed to 3:25 since the watches pace works in 5 second increments. It might not seem like much but that made a big difference as some of my earlier efforts were below 3:20 and I was definitely getting into very high effort levels towards the end of those intervals. So the pressure has come off those runs a little as a result too. What I've found most noticeable is the (unsurprising) sparse nature of tempo sessions. So much so that the thought of a hard 5 or 10 K just now at my best paces for each makes me feel I wouldn't get near them. But it is an 800 m plan after all.

Onto phase 4. I've not set out a roadmap as such 4 but I can see already that there's one tempo workout in there every week during the phase so my feelings towards 5/10 Ks might change then. I'll give it a few of weeks and see how the body is responding before looking at maybe fitting in some 800 TT efforts and probably a mile too. I'll be disappointed if I don't get under 2:10 for the 800. Ideally I'll get to run it on a track but might have to make use of what's available at the time. If I manage that then my thoughts will return to the my old favourite, the mile, and see if the training have been of much benefit to get me down to the low 4:50s there too.

Finally, on the physical side. My bunion has been giving me a bit of grief lately and I've been getting a pain in my sole, likely as a result of running more and and my outer toes doing a bit more work to compensate. I also still get pins a needles a little sometimes on longer runs around the top of the foot too. I'll keep a close monitor on it but have got the golf ball out the last couple of weeks. Also, I miss being in the office more where I've left some weights that I used to use. I'm not as disciplined with strength work when using body resistance for some reason. I can certainly feel the difference in my arm strength. This is something I need to work on but no GAA takes the pressure off me on that side of things too and I've let it slip a bit too much as a result.

Interesting update. I think I just split the difference between the two sets of paces as I wasn’t sure either whether I was a 400 or 1500 (still don’t know).

One thing I’d recommend - if a track isn’t an option, do the TT on a measured piece of ground, don’t measure it on the fly with your watch. Measure as best you can - I think Google Earth is probably pretty accurate. The margin of error on watch, at 800 pace, is just too great. You probably know this.

Interesting observations re relative difficulty. I think I found those long reps very tough too. But the really impossible session was the 600m at 800 pace. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t pull that off (although you well might).

Good luck with the last phase.

Spotted a typo in my post. Fast Reps (FR) should be 2:50/km not 3:50/km obviously.

On the 600s at 800 pace. Sure enough, there's a nice looking session this week. It's 3x(600 FR (Fast rep)+1k jog). There's that anxious feeling again.

Just on the FR pace itself the prescribed 2:50/km pace would only yield a 2:16 800m so it isn't even full 800 pace which for a time of 2:12 would be 2:45/km. That's one thing I did notice already but am trusting the numbers per the plan. I guess it assumes the speed is already there and is working more on the strength and endurance aspect of the 800. On the FR runs so far I've not been too exact with the timings anyway as it's a pace that's harder to actually control so some of the shorter reps like 200 FR have been getting done closer to 2:45/km anyway. Also, relying on the GPS isn't the best idea for them either. I might try and measure out the 600s when I'm going them later in the week and will definitely measure the 800 when doing a TT.

I think I tried to do as many of these sessions as possible on a track, but obviously that isn't an option for you at the moment. When track wasn't available I tried to use the same piece of ground for each rep, even if it wasn't 100% accurate distance wise, because as you say, the pace is hard to control and I found it helped to know where I was on the rep without using the watch. I did find myself consciously trying to use my arms more than normal, in order to be more in control.

Interesting re the pace - my own FR paces were supposed to be at goal pace, although I don't think I was ever able to hit those numbers for the 600s. It worked out on the day though. I also did not do the prescribed Q2 session in the final week - substituted for something much gentler, on the advice of a coach at the club, who probably took my age into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Spotted a typo in my post. Fast Reps (FR) should be 2:50/km not 3:50/km obviously.

On the 600s at 800 pace. Sure enough, there's a nice looking session this week. It's 3x(600 FR (Fast rep)+1k jog). There's that anxious feeling again.

Just on the FR pace itself the prescribed 2:50/km pace would only yield a 2:16 800m so it isn't even full 800 pace which for a time of 2:12 would be 2:45/km. That's one thing I did notice already but am trusting the numbers per the plan. I guess it assumes the speed is already there and is working more on the strength and endurance aspect of the 800. On the FR runs so far I've not been too exact with the timings anyway as it's a pace that's harder to actually control so some of the shorter reps like 200 FR have been getting done closer to 2:45/km anyway. Also, relying on the GPS isn't the best idea for them either. I might try and measure out the 600s when I'm going them later in the week and will definitely measure the 800 when doing a TT.

I looked at following Daniel's 800 plan a few years ago when I was targeting that distance and decided against it. Main reason was the lack of race pace work. I found it hard to imagine running faster in a race than I had done over short distances in training.

Keep in mind when doing a 800m time trial that you will get extra benefit when you can run on a track and even better when you have someone to chase. Normally 800m is run with positive splits so it really helps to have someone ahead of you to pull you along in the 2nd half. It would be typical to split a 2:10 as 63/67, so don't expect too much from a solo TT

I'm not surprised at the anxious feeling. This one didn't ring a bell with me and I checked - I never did that session as I was swapping some of them out for races. So happened that that week coincided with the Day of PBs event in both 2018 and 2019. To be honest, I don't think I would have been able for that session, it's a tough one alright. Found some discussion of it on letsrun. :eek:

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at the anxious feeling. This one didn't ring a bell with me and I checked - I never did that session as I was swapping some of them out for races. So happened that that week coincided with the Day of PBs event in both 2018 and 2019. To be honest, I don't think I would have been able for that session, it's a tough one alright. Found some discussion of it on letsrun. :eek:

I found that exact same discussion along with a couple of other ones myself after dna_leri's post got me thinking about the paces again. There's definitely disagreement around the need to run faster than 800 paces.

On that specific workout, 3x600 @ 800 race pace (2:45/km), it sounds like most agree it's an insane workout. But my prescribed pace is 2:50/km so it's not race pace. I can't see that making too much difference myself but it's the hope I'm clinging to.

I did 4x400 at 2:50/km w/ 400 jog recovery recently. The Rep paces were 2:42, 2:42, 2:47 and 2:44 but I could definitely feel that fading sign coming on in the last 100 m. Sure we'll see how it goes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I found that exact same discussion along with a couple of other ones myself after dna_leri's post got me thinking about the paces again. There's definitely disagreement around the need to run faster than 800 paces.

On that specific workout, 3x600 @ 800 race pace (2:45/km), it sounds like most agree it's an insane workout. But my prescribed pace is 2:50/km so it's not race pace. I can't see that making too much difference myself but it's the hope I'm clinging to.

I did 4x400 at 2:50/km w/ 400 jog recovery recently. The Rep paces were 2:42, 2:42, 2:47 and 2:44 but I could definitely feel that fading sign coming on in the last 100 m. Sure we'll see how it goes I suppose.

It looks crazy to me, but every time I look at a book plan I think it looks crazy - I don't think I've even run 3 x 600m at 15 pace in training! And yet people seem to be able to follow them and get the results they're after, so what do I know?!!

You're clearly able to handle the intensity, the training quality and load is progressing very sensibly, and I think you'll be in great shape come the end of it.

And 4 x 400s in 64/65 is very encouraging. Really good training, keep at it!

I wasn't planning on updating weekly again but with the perceived "big one" this week it is worth logging it.

Last week was my second lowest mileage week this year. 5 miles short of my 30 mile target. Even though I managed to get out 5 days I didn't get a long run in. Mostly due to work pressures but it was important to get out in some form. But again I got the sessions in. I've not missed one yet on the plan if not counting the LSR.

Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday were easy runs. 5k, 6.5k and 8.5k

Wednesday - Session 1: 20 minutes Tempo, 4x(200R w/ 200 jog) - The reintroduction of weekly tempos (or Threshold workouts :P) in phase 4 of the plan. This was 20 minutes at Threshold pace. It was a real windy day so I decided I wouldn't beat myself up if I missed the target pace and just keep the effort consistent. I went out thinking my target pace was 3:40/km. finished up with an average of 3:44/km over the 20 minutes. The slowest K right into the teeth of the wind not doing too bad at 3:49 and the quickest 3:41. So the effort was good and consistent. I definitely need more of these. The weather may have had a part to play but I never felt like I could drop the pace further without a good bit more effort at any point. Happy to get it done. I had been in a bit of a rush to get out the door and on the run the pace target started giving me some doubts. I revisited my notes afterwards and the pace I'd read in my notes was from Table 5.2 of the book which said 3:40/km (from the VDOT table). However, the pace for the 800 plan is actually 3:45/km so it turned out I was bang on. I was really glad I went on perceived effort level. It could have gotten messy had I been straining for the wrong pace. Onto the 200s. I was tired enough when it came to doing them and I accidentally ended the first one early but hit the target 3:00 pace for all 4.

Saturday - Session 2: 3x(600 FR w/ 1 k jog) - This was the big one and one I wasn't sure I'd manage to complete at the desired splits. I've been using the local hotel for my speed work which has a nice loop around it with and smooth tarmac with only a couple of gentle ramps. I got up there anyway and was having stomach issues. Chance to use it as an excuse to pull the plug. But I knew I'd be less effected during the fast repeat when the body is more tensed up than on a slow jog. As it turned out I was right and the slow 1 km recoveries were more uncomfortable. I just wanted to get it over with and get home.

On the repeats themselves. The Target was 2:50/km or 1:39. Much to my surprise I nailed all 3 with more in the tank. The 1 km jog really dig give an almost 100% recovery. The hotel played its part too providing some shelter from the wind. Reps were 1:37, 1:39 and 1:36. The pace of my last rep was equivalent to 2:38/km so was well below my 800 pace. I made sure to wear my racing flats for these too as I really wasn't sure how'd I'd fare. It turns out to have given me a nice lift. I was breathing heavy at the end of the 3rd but still not quite 100% effort. So I'm really hoping there's a little more in the tank.

I don't think this was the toughest session of what I've done so far and I'm back to the mindset that the Interval work is still the toughest on the plan. I'll see if that still holds true as the Tempo runs kick in.

Also, apologies. I've been using Tempo for Threshold sessions it seems. Afraid of opening a can of worms here but I see "T" and I've been reading it as Tempo. When I was looking back it's actually Threshold. No odds to me what the correct term is as I'm more interested in the prescribed pace.

• Advertisement

Outstanding! As discussed above I only ever managed a single 600 at race pace and made the target on the day. I can't imagine NOT being able to make your target 800 race pace having managed one 600 in the run up, never mind three in a row. Well done.

Recover well after that, it will have taken some sort of toll, regardless of how good you feel.

Thanks Murph. I've let the sessions slip a day here and there when I thought I'd benefit. But no issue with DOMS or anything this time. It's given me the impetus to stick to the plan anyway. I'll not use the word race pace myself as the target was a bit slower than that. It did get me a bit giddy though. Throwing numbers around on what I could potentially hit though but I'll not rush ahead of myself. Get under 2:10 first then I'm in bonus territory. A few weeks left yet.

I’m confused when you say FR isn’t race pace though. Do you mean because you’re training at 2:12 but will be aiming at 2:10?

I’m confused when you say FR isn’t race pace though. Do you mean because you’re training at 2:12 but will be aiming at 2:10?

Looks like I can't subtract :o The Fast Rep pace is race pace after all.

I made the mistake when calculating my 400 m FastRep pace. I'd 68 seconds instead of 66. and then used that to give a 3:50/km pace which equates to a 2:16 800m. So it wasn't race pace for me. Using the right number does give race pace. I got a little tied up when he says to subtract from current Rep paces as opposed to new Rep paces to get the Fast Rep pace. They then turns out to be the same as the table anyway.

Don't ask me how long it took me to realise this.

Anyway my 200 and 600 target were correct somehow. I got a scare that I should have been revising down the Fast Rep targets as well as the Rep targets as I moved through the weeks. But the Fast Reps look to be locked on at "race pace alright".

Only for you Murph. Cheers.

It's been much the same the last couple of weeks. Finding the threshold sessions of phase 4 much easier to stomach than the some of the Interval sessions were in phase 3. There are in fact no interval sessions in phase 4 but I accidently did one a couple of weeks ago as I read the wrong row of the plan that day in a bit of a hurry. All 30 mile weeks.

March 15-21
    - 4x800s instead of a repeats session. ​Obviously at this stage redoing this workout was much easier than the last time I did it about 6 weeks previously. I increased the pace as after completing the first it dawned on me that this was an older session so I wanted to put in a bit more effort. Paces were 3:25, 3:16, 3:18, 3:15
    - 6x200R followed by 2x1 mile threshold with 2 minute jog. I was working in Lexlip so ran the canal for this. Back onto the road on the last half mile. Definitely a faster surface than the canal was. The mile times were 5:50 and 5:49

March 22-27
    - 4x(1 mile T w/ 2min jog) then 6x200R. Slight inverse of the last threshold session. Threshold first then the Reps. Along the canal again but a different stretch. Very windy. Mostly in my face on every second mile but I stubbornly tried sticking to the pace and not the effort this time. Miles were 5:54, 5:52, 5:50, 5:54.
    - Fast Reps 1x600, 2x400, 4x200. Another windy one. This took the gloss off my 3x600s a couple of weeks back. Found the going tough from the start but only missed the target on one or two and only by a second at least. Even the 200s were a killer. I ended up walking the recovery between the last few 200s. 1:41, 1:04, 1:04, 35, 34, 33, 32.
    - Steady 3 miles. I did a little over covering 5.12 km in 18:51.

March 29-April 4
    - 4x(1 mile T w/ 1min r/), 8x200R. 5:50, 5:50, 5:52, 5:44. Funnily I can't remember too much about this. The effort was fine and never find the going hard here.
    - 8x200FR w/ 200 jog. This looked like a light session on paper to me. I went hot on most of them as a result being conscious that there aren't any faster than 800 pace workouts in the plan so I wanted to give it a good blast. All came in below 800 pace by a second or two. The legs were getting heavy on the last two.
    - Not LSR. Haven't worn the headphones in a few weeks. Picked them up for my Sunday run but they were dead. I can't blame that for what followed. I'd only 50 odd minutes to get around and wanted to hit my weekly mileage total so went out in low 4s and slowly built up the pace until the 7th km when I decided to not be too silly and ramp it back down again to make a pyramid. I covered the 12km in 47:47.

The 800 plan is ending next week. So it is probably trying to taper me which I took advantage of to run a bit too hard yesterday. Anyway, I'll watch myself this week. I don't think there's a track going to be opened in the 12th but would love if there was for my 800 TT. I'll probably do it the week after this one coming. Which is nicely 1 week before the Boards 5km TT. So there'll be no 5k specific training wedged in anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Whats your closest track?

MY BAD wrote: »
    Whats your closest track?

Navan for me.

They resurfaced it last year. I think it's blue now. I haven't been on it since 2019. I expect the €2 for the hour will be increased slightly.

Navan for me.

They resurfaced it last year. I think it's blue now. I haven't been on it since 2019. I expect the €2 for the hour will be increased slightly.

Not bad value when it’s open. Think I paid €3 to use the Finn Valley track once but that included a swim if I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Not bad value when it’s open. Think I paid €3 to use the Finn Valley track once but that included a swim if I wanted!

Fantastic track, and all round brilliant facilities to be fair.

• Advertisement

The last two weeks of JDs 800 m plan (30 MPW) completed with some added garnish. Turned out to be 13 weeks instead of 12 weeks as I added one extra week in phase III to do the boards elevation challenge but didn't want to miss any prescribed sessions.

April 5-April 11
    - 3x(1 mile T w/ 2 min r/), 6x200R. Mile times were 5:49, 5:45, 5:32. The usual ill-discipline. The first was fine. Second was too fast and then for the third with a thought of the 5 km TT coming up I impulsively decided to push the pace a little more without going into an interval level of effort. I wanted to touch my dreamed up 5 k pace target of 3:24/km. So the last mile was around about 3:28/km pace. It felt okay but still left me wondering if I could do 3 of them back to back and at a little quicker. The 200s were managed without any foolishness thanks to the last mile rep which definitely took the spring out of my step a little.
    - Fast reps 2x200 w/ 200 r/, 2x600 w/ 1km r/, Reps 4x200. A nice sobering session one week out. The 200s warmed me up nicely for the 600 efforts. This was the 3rd set of fast 600s in the last few weeks. My fond memories of the 3x600s were a distant memory now as I found the going tough for the 2x600s here. Both came in just under target pace which was good but I had to work harder than I would have liked. When it came to the 4x200s which were supposed to be at Rep pace, I ended up doing all 4 more at Fast Rep pace. If I could describe these 200s. I know I ran them anaerobically where my legs were travelling faster without the accompanying breathing pattern. After the 600s I was wondering how much my legs could turn over before having to go to heavy breathing (like I have a choice) as I noticed that once my engaging my lungs more my pace would start to drift. A strategy was starting to form in my head after this for my approach to the 800. And dna_leri's advice on positive splitting was starting to make sense to me. I was going to use the speed in my legs as much as possible to push the pace early on before falling back on my strength and endurance.
    - LSR - 16 km : 4:17/km
    I was doing my best to make a complete balls of this tapering business at this stage. So, a few miles short on my intended target for the week I had to do the 16 km to make it to over 30 miles for the week. I also stubbornly wanted to run the road out of town but couldn't get out of the house on time so the daylight was against me. I made it back to Trim as it was getting dark and luckily only met a handful of cars which I went up on the ditch for. It was silly though and I won't do it again. But I do really like that particular loop which I only ran for the first time this year. The pace ended up being far too quick as I was calculating how dark it might get before I got back to the town.

Just over 30 miles for the week.

April 12-April 18
    The easing of restrictions made for a hectic week outside of work as I found myself at Meath's coastline on Wednesday and then the Cavan border on Saturday to meet family at Loughcrew. It's not a big climb but you're made to work extra hard carrying a 14 month old all the way up. When we got back I took into gardenwork. Must have spent over 10 hours outside on Saturday including a 7 km shake-out run. That was after spending 5 hours cleaning the driveway on Thursday evening.

Only the one half session chalked down for the week. Done on Wednesday
    - 2x200R, 2x1 mile T w/2 min r/, 2x200R. Mile times were 5:45 and 5:45. Feeling pretty good.
    - Friday easy run. 8km @ 4:55/km. Noted for it not being easy. Set off slow and got slower. A warning sign...
    - Saturday shake-out. Probably buzzing after a great day I set off to run up to my route and double check the distance. No dramas, out and back. I made a note of landmarks for 200, 400 and 600 m but really I was only interested in the 400 m mark. I was asleep by 10:30pm.
    - Sunday. No TT :mad: Despite getting enough sleep I was the most fatigued I'd been in quite some time. I even tried an old trick I did with football which involves chugging a can of red bull an hour before setting off. It didn't have the desired effect. I didn't feel the nerves all day as I think deep down I knew it wasn't going to happen. So I postponed it by a day due to being completely wiped out. The advantage of being the TT organiser :cool:

Just the 21 miles for last week.

Advertisement