Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The main story here is that Kishoge is finally opening. Hugh Creegan said last week that it's being progressed without any delays now. Once the final required works are identified, procurement for a contractor will begin soon followed by construction and opening next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

i would have thought the main story was the stunning incompetence and waste of taxpayers’ money.

The €3.8m "refurbishment" figure is very misleading. Most of that would have had to be spent anyway. It was always the case that Kishoge would need multi-million euro works to complete the station access and car park. This article from 2017 says €2m:

As for needing more money to meet present day accessibility requirements, this would have had to be spent to upgrade the station at some point anyway. The waste is really only the money that has to be spent to repair any broken or vandalised features. I've highlighted the cost from vandalism before to try and get it opened. It's a shame but it's nowhere close to €3.8m and was clear to anyone campaigning to get this opened. When it was closed with no prospect of opening, it was a struggle to get any news outlets to cover the fact that it's being left to rot and be vandalised but now that it's going to be fixed, it's the only thing they can talk about. Do I like having to spend more money? No but I'd much rather focus on the fact that it's being opened now.

But there are also serious questions about how dysfunctional things work (or don’t) in Ireland.

Prime land beside a train station undeveloped while land outside Dublin gets redeveloped for people who then have insane commutes.

These issues need to be fixed or else they’ll happen again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Clonburris won't happen the state has too much involvement. We've seen with O'Deavany, the glass bottle site and the plauer Wilson site, government involvement holds back development, often indefinitely.

Post edited by cgcsb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭gjim

I didn't realise the surrounding lands were owned by the state? I agree with you though the local authorities have a woeful record in this regard. That a site like O'Deavany Gardens can lie mostly undeveloped for nearly 2 decades - as local councillors spend years bickering and chopping and changing their minds about what should be built - was a complete debacle.

If Kishoge were operating as a station, this location is surely one of the best in Dublin outside the M50 for high density development, under 30 minutes to Connolly by train. With nearly square km of land around this station - development could leverage a massive savings in terms of economies of scale. Allowing decent heights you could have nearly 10k people living here all within 5 minutes walk to the station. That sort of density is what makes rail PT viable and with DART+ and ML coming, you'd have great connectivity - the airport in 40 minutes, Stephen's Green in about the same, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Only in Ireland will people moan and gripe about good forward planning after years of moaning and griping about the complete absence of forward planning. Was the money even public funds or was it development levies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Iirc, the station was paid for by the developer when it was initially built - will they provide funds again for the works needed now? Or will it be the state/Irish rail that are providing the €3.8 million?

It'll be the government. It was in this year's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

I was under the impression is was part of the Kildare Rail Project. This involved Quad Tracking Hazelhatch - Ballyfermot and a couple of stations along the stretch for Dart and Intercity rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Ah right, thanks for the clarification!

How can it be good forward planning when after all these years the station is unopened and the land beside it undeveloped?

Good forward planning would have been if the station had have opened in tandem with the land being developed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just because it didn't work out perfectly doesn't mean it wasn't good planning. There was no way of knowing that there'd be a massive downturn, putting developers out of business and developments across the country on hold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, good planning would have stripped out the equipment and bricked up the openings to keep the vandals out.

Well, vandalism is not just against stations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-500-000-of-graffiti-damage-done-to-dart-carriages-in-2021-1.4734653

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

There is no such thing as forward planning for public transport in this country. More likely there was serious lobbying or otherwise from the developer at the time who then bailed out. A train station nearby would add thousands to the value of a home after all.

A logical alternative would have been to build the station on the Cork/Limerick line in somewhere that already has massive demand such as ballyfermot or inchicore. Or turn platform 10 in Heuston into a properly accessible station. But alas no developers around there on same scale as Lucan to "incentivise" the NTA.

All three of those options should be in dart+ by the way but of course they are not.

Post edited by crazy 88 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As it happens, two weeks ago SDCC started a public consultation on proposed Social and Affordable housing development comprising of 263 residential units on a site located on lands within Clonburris SDZ;

Density is disappointing but that is probably due to the development surrounding the single storey traveller accommodation.

You would hope that much more density is planned for the other side of R136. Really the station should have been the focal point of a village with shops and a public space. The car park is there now but the plan should be to eventually develop that space also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Dublin's historically idiotic planners have actively avoided the railway lines for years.

Take Blanch and Castleknock - two town centres about 1km from the railway line between them. Instead of a commercial centre being planned and encouraged around the station we've produced the opposite. Two town centres a good hike from the station, with light residential and fields beside the station itself. Its so stupid.

Its even worse on the Heuston line out of Dublin - you have a rail corridor there within the M50 that has no stations at all between Heuston and Park West, and the whole southern side is just industrial. Bonkers.

Not to mention the failure to protect the Northern line corridor for quad tracking.

This totally brainless planning has left Dublin with a really difficult legacy of stupidity to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

You can directly blame Colm McCarthy and Sean Barrett raising several generations who were told 'rail has no future'...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is there any chance, any chance at all, that the media in this country might occasionally provide some positive coverage of this project?

Nope.

The usual anti-spokesperson given a full 2 minutes to mouth off about wildlife and how you don't need to expand rail in the middle of a climate crisis, floating in her boat down the canal with not a care in the world. I'd say she never commutes anywhere.

As a curiosity, with regards to Blanch, in the 1970s rail plan, it was intended to run a spur into to a terminus located where the centre is now. You can still make out parts of the "alignment" with the satellite view on google maps. Still fairly idiotic compared to developing the land directly around the train line.

Also it wasn't just planners - the old CIE did itself no favours at all in terms of encouraging investment or increasing usage/dependency on rail. It was (somewhat justifiably) seen an an incorrigible, unreformable, union-dominated organisation that existed to benefit the employees and where providing a service to the public was viewed as unfortunate inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think that spur remains, and was part of the Metro West plan.

A frankly bizarre piece of journalism. If you didn't know the project you would think from that interview that the canal was to be permanently removed. She claims that construction can make animals leave, ok so we'll just all live in tents and never build or renovate anything again. Animals leave areas and return to them all the time

And sure why not just let cars pass through the level crossing after midnight. No interviews with normal folk who want to get to work and get home, only fruit cakes on canal barges get air time. I wonder has she carried out a study on the health impacts for the canal wild life generated by the NOx, PM10 and PM2.5 particulate emissions from her diesel powered canal barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

A pair of wealthy wagons with a barge demanding the nation's infrastructure serves them personally. You could not make these types up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't really see the issue why the canal would be a big problem in providing train services to the Ashtown area.

The amount of construction work to actually build the underpass to let cars, cyclists and pedestrians to use it would be very minimal. The rail line would still remain above ground. You would swear, going from the woman owning the barge along the canal, that the that the whole rail system would go underground in places like Ashtown.

I also wouldn't think the trains passing by the canal would be an issue at all. If IÉ had built the OHLE for Dart+ West. The new hybrid Dart trains that are going to be coming into service will eventually replace most of the current commuter rail stock which effectively runs on pure diesel. This would mean that tere would be way less emissions coming out from most of the rolling stock at that point.

The intercity railcar stock would still be running train services to Sligo at that point on that line as well. This would mean that a small amount of the emissions would still be present from that rail stock unless IÉ had plans to make them run on biofuels in the future which would get rid of the emissions issue.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brosna1999

It's just textbook NIMBYism plain and simple - I wouldn't worry about it too much though as they have the most comical and unconvincing arguments one could think of. Does anyone know when the Dart+ West RO is to be submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brosna1999

Spencer Dock Station from ROD's website (This is the only indicative image they have).

At best, biofuels might lower a train's carbon footprint (and that's debatable - they certainly don't as a mandated additive to US petrol), but they don't reduce local emissions.

But even talk of biofuels irritates me. I wish they'd just stop fannying around with commissioning battery trains and other work-arounds just commit to rolling out OHLE for the main parts of the national network. This graph shows how backward Ireland is in that regard - not only has Ireland the lowest level of rail electrification in Europe by a long shot, it's about a tenth of the European average in percentage terms. Even among the countries known to have a crap rail service, Ireland stands out as an outlier in its dependence on diesel for trains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In 1967, Cork had its last day of the horse drawn CIE dray delivering messages. I think it might have been earlier in Dublin. That is a lot later than I thought. Diesels replaced steam in the 1960s. Neither of these were ahead of anyone else.

Do not expect CIE to be ahead of anyone in new advances in technology or engineering. They were not called the Flying Snail for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The GNRB split and merger with CIE held the dieselisation programme back significantly I believe.

Advertisement