Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Peregrine

The main story here is that Kishoge is finally opening. Hugh Creegan said last week that it's being progressed without any delays now. Once the final required works are identified, procurement for a contractor will begin soon followed by construction and opening next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ Zebra3

i would have thought the main story was the stunning incompetence and waste of taxpayers’ money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ p_haugh

Iirc, the station was paid for by the developer when it was initially built - will they provide funds again for the works needed now? Or will it be the state/Irish rail that are providing the €3.8 million?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Peregrine

It'll be the government. It was in this year's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ yer man!

I was under the impression is was part of the Kildare Rail Project. This involved Quad Tracking Hazelhatch - Ballyfermot and a couple of stations along the stretch for Dart and Intercity rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ p_haugh

Ah right, thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ Zebra3

How can it be good forward planning when after all these years the station is unopened and the land beside it undeveloped?

Good forward planning would have been if the station had have opened in tandem with the land being developed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

Well, good planning would have stripped out the equipment and bricked up the openings to keep the vandals out.

Well, vandalism is not just against stations.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-500-000-of-graffiti-damage-done-to-dart-carriages-in-2021-1.4734653

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭ Pete_Cavan

As it happens, two weeks ago SDCC started a public consultation on proposed Social and Affordable housing development comprising of 263 residential units on a site located on lands within Clonburris SDZ;

Density is disappointing but that is probably due to the development surrounding the single storey traveller accommodation.

You would hope that much more density is planned for the other side of R136. Really the station should have been the focal point of a village with shops and a public space. The car park is there now but the plan should be to eventually develop that space also.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭ gjim

As a curiosity, with regards to Blanch, in the 1970s rail plan, it was intended to run a spur into to a terminus located where the centre is now. You can still make out parts of the "alignment" with the satellite view on google maps. Still fairly idiotic compared to developing the land directly around the train line.

Also it wasn't just planners - the old CIE did itself no favours at all in terms of encouraging investment or increasing usage/dependency on rail. It was (somewhat justifiably) seen an an incorrigible, unreformable, union-dominated organisation that existed to benefit the employees and where providing a service to the public was viewed as unfortunate inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152

I think that spur remains, and was part of the Metro West plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭ cgcsb

A frankly bizarre piece of journalism. If you didn't know the project you would think from that interview that the canal was to be permanently removed. She claims that construction can make animals leave, ok so we'll just all live in tents and never build or renovate anything again. Animals leave areas and return to them all the time

And sure why not just let cars pass through the level crossing after midnight. No interviews with normal folk who want to get to work and get home, only fruit cakes on canal barges get air time. I wonder has she carried out a study on the health impacts for the canal wild life generated by the NOx, PM10 and PM2.5 particulate emissions from her diesel powered canal barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭ dublinman1990

I don't really see the issue why the canal would be a big problem in providing train services to the Ashtown area.

The amount of construction work to actually build the underpass to let cars, cyclists and pedestrians to use it would be very minimal. The rail line would still remain above ground. You would swear, going from the woman owning the barge along the canal, that the that the whole rail system would go underground in places like Ashtown.

I also wouldn't think the trains passing by the canal would be an issue at all. If IÉ had built the OHLE for Dart+ West. The new hybrid Dart trains that are going to be coming into service will eventually replace most of the current commuter rail stock which effectively runs on pure diesel. This would mean that tere would be way less emissions coming out from most of the rolling stock at that point.

The intercity railcar stock would still be running train services to Sligo at that point on that line as well. This would mean that a small amount of the emissions would still be present from that rail stock unless IÉ had plans to make them run on biofuels in the future which would get rid of the emissions issue.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭ cgcsb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

In 1967, Cork had its last day of the horse drawn CIE dray delivering messages. I think it might have been earlier in Dublin. That is a lot later than I thought. Diesels replaced steam in the 1960s. Neither of these were ahead of anyone else.

Do not expect CIE to be ahead of anyone in new advances in technology or engineering. They were not called the Flying Snail for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 59,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

The GNRB split and merger with CIE held the dieselisation programme back significantly I believe.

Advertisement