Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭ULMarc

It's a variable actually. You can see in the attached pictures. The picture of the belt towards the outside of the pulley is it in the lowest speed, and the picture of it towards the inner of the pulley is it in the highest speed.

I've slackened off the clutch cable. Thank you for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Variable sheave transmission, not seen one of those in donkeys years. Had a John Deere that had that arrangement.

Belt wear can be an issue but the pulleys can also wear.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭deezell

That's pretty much how all domestic mowers achieve speed control. Cheap to make, the spilt sprung pulley is just added to a standard fixed speed axle in place of the normal pulley, and a pair of idlers are used to tension the belt into the vee. A real gearbox or Hydrostatic on a walk behind is serious €€€. Their spec on the agrieuro site is misleading, it reads exactly like a 4 speed box is installed.

That one looks like it is achieving its highest ratio, the belt is right in on the minimum radius. If this is too slow, then the only option is a larger pulley on the engine spindle, which would be a DIY bodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

First time poster, and i know feck all about lawnmowers. I've read back the thread to see if i can find an answer to these two questions, so apologies if i've missed it.

We have a half acre site, most of which is lawn, but it's bitty, with three different sections and some trees and so on. It's all pretty flat. We've been using a walk-behind lawnmower, and are looking to treat ourselves to a ride-on one.

Is there a ride-on mower you'd recommend, @deezell that would be reasonably nimble and not leave too much to clean up afterwards?

And is there one that seems right for that size of a lawn?

thank you!

Post edited by Skill on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I have a chain block hoist off a RSJ steel beam in the shed. Would that do for lifting a garden tractor mower up to access underneath? Or is there anything I should watch for in terms of putting strain on the machine compared to the likes of that Oregon jack?

The repair guy I used for parts sometimes has a similar setup with a chain hoist not totally sure how he uses it. Think its too far inside his shed for him to able to get to with his workshop being jammed full of stuff.

Another way of lifting is to lift the front wheels

So if you are lifting both wheels from underneath then and chock the rear wheels I don't see too much problem.

Your obvious problem is the mower slipping backwards and getting the lift from the right spot without bending the engine cover.

If you have the hoist you might also have an engine hoist spreader bar. That above the the engine cover with a couple of chains down to the front axle might do the job. Just depends on the mower. You'll just have to make a judgement call depending on how strong the axel looks and if you can get a suitable grip on it.

Thanks for that. Don't have a spreader bar as the chain hoist was installed for lifting an outboard motor off a boat.

The Oregon jack you have linked earlier lifts one rear wheel of the ride on. So do you reckon I can put a strap around a rear wheel, attach to the hoist and lift it at a similar angle to the Oregon jack? Or would it be better for the machine if I buy a spreader bar to attach the front axle to the hoist and lift the front instead.

Haven't even gotten my ride on yet, waiting for it to arrive in, but just trying to get the planning for maintenance organised in the meantime.

tbh I don't really like the idea of the hoist. There is nothing really that you can attach the hoist to without damaging plastic parts. The mud guards will be in the way of putting a strap around the wheel.

By the time you have bought a spreader bar and chains you wouldn't be far off buying a dedicated jacking tool that is safe and quick. This one is down to €65 https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACHATPRATIQUE-lifter-Telescopic-saving-compare/dp/B07BHFNTRG/

An ordinary set of car ramps can be really useful and quick. These halford ones work for me. Treads are close for smaller tyres, great for car work as well. €50 with a trade card, which is easy to get.

• Advertisement

With the talk of lifts I thought I'd throw this up.

The mower is rock solid and isn't going anywhere. I've tried to tip it but is won't go over (think thats prevented by the upstand that is holding the left hand rear wheel on the stand) and pushing forwards and backwards does nothing to move it. To get it up takes 45-50 pumps of the built in hydraulic jack which is hidden by the tyre. You get it all the way up then put the safety support in (I don't always bother). There is another safety feature which you can't see a bar that drops in place when its nearly fully up and prevents it dropping down this is also hidden by the pump. This bar needs to be lifted when you release the hydraulics. There is also a strap provided that is supposed to go around the higher of the two tyres on the lift.

You obviously have less access to underneath the left hand side of the deck. Normally I can get to everything but if I need better access to that side I just drop it down and turn the mower around. On that mower there seems to be no major issue lifting either side.

You can also see the blower fan referred to earlier. The housing for it is plastic so may be retrofittable.

Tip for anyone removing the blades to sharpen or to replace them check the manual if the main blade bolts are left or right hand threaded (sorry probably teaching granny to suck eggs). Its not the same on every machine but on most two bladed center discharge mowers the right hand blade has a left hand thread the left hand is a normal thread. I remember it this way you untighten away from the cutting edge (the blades are also handed) and tighten into the cutting edge or that the thread is the opposite of the side the blade is on.

Because everything is handed on the on the blade parts (blade, bolt and the fan) I take them off and replace them one at a time. It just saves having to think which one goes on which way.

Edit> RE chain hoist to RSJ. Took a good look at my mower above and with a spreader bar and a couple of chains you could definitely lift the mower up on the front axle. If you set the spreader bar about a foot wider than the axle you wouldn't crush any of the plastic. Still not an idea I'm that taken with.

The older castelgarden tc102 with the short grassbag hooks could be lifted fully upright (sans bag and battery, low fuel in tank) on a hard surface to rest on its back frame with a short thin plank under the hooks. A couple of stout persons or a savage, or a block and tackle required to lift it both ways. I seen this in a dealers workshop. Very stable, and I done it myself with the help of unwilling swmbo. Probably against health and safety nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi everybody,

Just after building a house and up until now I have had only small semi-d back gardens less than 100m2 of lawns to be cut and tbh any auld electric lawnmower did the trick.... Problem now is I have an acre to cut!😪

Anyway I dont want this whole acre to be cut and I am planning to plant trees in a lot of it and leave the grass grow long in large areas as well. But I want it to look neat so that means cutting the boarders and paths through it so it look like it was planned (for the bees!)

So I don't need a ride on as I reckon I will only be really cutting about a 1/4 of it if not a lot less. I am shopping around and came across this for €560 Husqvarna LC 151S Lawn Mower | Husqvarna CA

Is it any good and would be a worthy investment? it doesn't have the B&S engine but Husqvarna would be a good brand I would have thought. Or is there a go to mower I should get.

Thanks for the help

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

I had a husqvarna steel deck 53cm mower with Honda engine. It was an excellent mower, but I had bad luck with the deck and it rusted out in 8 years despite being kept clean. Deezel gives great advice to paint the deck underside with anti rust paint and I'd heed that advice. When I sold on the husqi, the engine and gear box and all other parts were perfect and it still had a buyer with deck gone.

I bought a mcculloch 51cm mower on end of season discount. Again a good mower very happy with it. Honda easy start engine and it's brilliant. Deck has stated rusting on it... But I will say there's a surprising noticeable difference between a 51 and 53cm mower for cutting time. So my advice for bigger garden is get a 53cm mower.

I assume the half acre includes house and driveway. If that's the case you won't need a huge ride on machine. The smaller rear engine ride ons with a single blade are best suited, as these compacts will leave less missed bits that require tidying up with the hand mower. Single blade also means less to go wrong on the deck. My only reservation is that the power overhead for mower and driver is significant relative to the cutting power, so you'll use a bit more fuel than a large hand mower. I'd worry also about wheel marks especially if a large person, 100kg+ is sitting on top, though with the under seat engine, the bulk of the weight is on the rear wheels post mowing. Here's a starting point. https://mower.ie/product/mountfield-827m-ride-on-lawnmower-9hp-26

Or the larger version

https://mower.ie/product/mountfield-1328h-ride-on-lawnmower-13hp-28

At only 5 or 7 inches wider cut than a large walk behind, it may not be significantly faster to mow than a good 53cm self drive, as you might spend more time reversing and maneuvering the ride on, or cutting half less than full width. This little Alko is probably the smallest out there, almost €2k exactly,

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/al-ko-r7-65-hd

but with only 25" cut I'd be inclined to invest that in a high end walk behind of maximum width,

Not a bad mower if you can get it for a bit less, like here for €505. I was poking at these as it happens while in my local hardware store. They are robust, particularly the handles are of a sturdy design, wheels nice and firm. The 53cm with the composite deck is my favourite, but would be in the €700 bracket

https://hanleysashford.ie/product/husqvarna-lc-151s/

I'd be happy enough with the engine, I think they use Kawasaki, or a made to specification unit. There's decent competition in the 20"/51cm bracket. This Mountfield has a Honda GCV engine in a generic deck for €469.

Or in a similar generic deck with a generic engine, this Webb 51cm for €379 in the coop superstores,

Or what seems the same machine in red for only €330 online from Oxendales! (I thought they just sold ladies clothes).

Recognised brand names with brand engines, Stiga, Snapper,Toro, Honda, can cost multiples of this, though some (like Webb above), will brand generics and compete in that segment. This 53cm/21" Harry from a proper dealers is only €419, so not surprised they're sold out.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. If you're going to be mowing tracks through long grass, pay attention to max cut height. Most are 75cm, you might want something that can go a bit higher.

• Advertisement

" RE chain hoist to RSJ. Took a good look at my mower above and with a spreader bar and a couple of chains you could definitely lift the mower up on the front axle. If you set the spreader bar about a foot wider than the axle you wouldn't crush any of the plastic. Still not an idea I'm that taken with."

Yes, I've thought about the drawbacks you've pointed out and you have put me off the idea of using the hoist to access the underneath of the ride-on. Even if I did get a spreader bar to lift the front axle I would be accessing the cutting deck from the front between the wheels which just seems awkward the more I think about it. Looking at the photo you posted of the hydraulic jack, being able to get at the blades, etc from the side seems more practical.

@deezell great stuff and thanks for the detailed response. I actually was at the Coop at the weekend and saw those Webb mowers and they were a great price but I wasn't sure about the quality. The Mountfield with the Honda engine seems the best value so I might have a look at it, having the Honda engine might sway it for me and having a Screwfix near enough to me helps as well.

I'm a fan of screwfix. Online prices, click and collect, bricks and mortar store for warranty and returns. The mower is in stock in some stores around the country, Dublin, Newbridge, Cork, Limerick etc, so you should be able to get one to collect. Concerning warranty, this is in their Q&A page;

Hello, Thank you for your question, I can confirm that this model does come with a 3 year warranty, subject to a service before the end of the 2nd year. We will ensure the website is updated, sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

3 years is great, two plus one if you get it serviced. Q&A also states it's self drive speed is 3.7km/h, nice and brisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

thanks a million for taking the time to give such detailed advice - much appreciated!

I actually didn't think of the option of getting a wider-cut walk-behind mower. I'll look into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

If there's a b&q near you, you can go see the demo model mower on display. Then purchase in either b&q or screw fix.

• Advertisement

I can remember when Webb were a big name in quality cylinder mowers. Some 25 years back they got some connection with Mountfield as some Mountfield machines were rebranded Webb, then the Webb brand seemed to drop off the radar for a good few years.

Anyway found this on the online which explains who they are now and also gives a good (salesman orientated) run down of the various machines and features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are diesel ride on's good as in reliable?

is this good value...

That looks good and seemed a decent price but then I saw the hour meter. Thats high so probably commercial use which may have included loading and unloading off a trailer which all add to the wear and tear.

Engine should however be fine. I've seen thousands of hours on the little 3 cylinder engines.

Edit the comment about the engine "suits John Deere Gators, mini digger" suggests to me the mower part may be beyond continued economic repair.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

There's a small number of whopping 56cm deck mowers, mostly economy brands such as Gardencare, Victor, and the Cobra M56spb (not sure who deals cobra here, Brodericks in Kilpedder have dropped them I think)

These comes with B&S engines, 675 or 625, and there's also an alloy deck model under the Proplus brand, same engine. Here's some suppliers. Bang for your buck.

https://www.linwood.ie/landscaping-and-garden/proplus-56cm-sp-lawnmower-bs https://www.motoworld.ie/product/pro-plus-aluminium/

I was looking at a few of these last week while in the Proplus distributors McLouglins in Finglas getting chainsaw parts, huge looking machine.

yes, the lever is still intact and i can hear the microswitch as i move it -- is there a mini alarm that emits the beep? if so where is it situated?

It would be under the dash, usually on the control board. What model/year is it.

The diagram given doesn't show cable colours, but you could trace from the back of switch 23 to the board 1 and check if the switch contacts are closing using a multimeter, at the switch and up at the board. The buzzer is a board component, not available as a numbered part but simple to obtain once you identify it on the board, and check if its receiving a voltage when all the other parameters are set (blades engaged, bag on, full lever depressed.) Alternatively you can probe in 12v to the high side of the buzzer and see if it operates. It may have permanent 12v on one side, and work by grounding from the board.

This is the board for 2002 TC102, part no. 25722413/0. You can see the buzzer in middle, large round thing.

This would work as a replacement IF its faulty, but it could be cables, connectors, or a break in the board.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/electronic-sounders/1882210

• Advertisement

Don't most of those bag full indicators also have a light on the dash? I can't hear the buzzer on mine with ear defenders on.

If neither light nor buzzer is coming on I wouldn't suspect the buzzer itself.

There may be an icon if your mower has a gui, tbh I've never noticed if mine has as I wouldn't be looking at the dash, it's probably there alright but I've no trouble hearing the buzzer. Your right though, if both are not indicating then its cables, connectors or board.

I've never worn earmuffs, the Viking twin is very quiet, as was my CG twin. Neighbours single cylinder would wake the dead though.

I wear ear defenders so I can listen to audiobooks on earphones. They aren't that necessary on a Honda 2417.

Just off now to do some wood chipping - you really do need ear defenders for that.

its handy to have the beeper, otherwise you'd forget yourself and have clumps of grass left behind or worse still the chute blocked up😐️

Hi

Pulled the trigger on the Mountfield SP53H from Screwfix and it seems to be a good solid basic petrol lawn mower. It feels well built even though it would be light on fancy features but it does the job perfectly.

Anyway it said that it doesn't come with oil but when I pulled out the dip stick there was some oil on it. The manual doesnt say how many ml of oil it should take so I had to look up the engine on-the-line and it says 400ml. Also the manual doesn't say where to fill up to on the dip stick. I put in 200ml into in and this is what the dipstick is showing. Have I enough oil in the machine?? I am confused with this dipstick...do I fill to the top of the wavy line of the circular bump. Tried to find it online and cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

IMO thats the right level for full, however I remove the dipstick then redip it without screwing it back in which will give a lower reading meaning you put in more oil. Thats my way others may differ but in 40 years of grass cutting 20 commercially thats the way I've always done it.

Mower should have been completely dry - transport regulation. Was the box opened?

First, did you wipe the dipstick and reinsert before filling. My opinion is the the 'some oil' you seen was no more than the small amounts used during engine assembly to coat bearing and sliding surfaces. A wipe and redip would likely show no oil mark. I'd contend that the mower was empty, and your addition of 200ml is half recommended amount, which is showing exactly on the divide between hashed and smooth surface of the stick, and any level below the highest hash area is deemed too low. If you add the remaining 200 ml, I'd expect it to go up to the top of the flat area below the big circular plastic moulding on the stick, which is probably there to keep the stick guided in the tube, and wipe any oil from the tube to prevent it collecting on the stick as you withdraw it and give a false reading. If you're in any doubt, drain the mower completely, then measure what comes out, add enough to make 400ml and pour it back in.

Here's the manual for GCV 145/170/200.

@Continental op is spot on. The top of the hash area is the full mark, IF you dip it without screwing the cap down. Otherwise it will read over. If you only added 200ml, but dipped with the cap screwed down then it appears to be at the top. Here's what the honda manual says.

Oil Level Check

See Figure 9, page A-3.

1. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.

2. Insert the dipstick into the oil filler neck, but do not screw it in.

3. If the level is low, add the recommended oil to the upper limit on the dipstick.

4. Install the oil filler cap/dipstick.

So clean, dip without tightening cap and top up until it covers all the hash mark. Elsewhere in the honda manuals it also states that engines are filled then drained before shipping, so there will be residual oil.

Cool thanks for attaching the manual as that wasn't included within the box and would have been handy...

Anyway I put in the 400ml of oil and like ye guys said I didn't screw in the dipstick cap, which I was doing before and was showing that I was already at the limit when I had 200ml in there.

Just rechecked it and I think I'm all good the oil level is just at the top of the high level mark as you can see below. It doesn't help the oil is so light and new....I'm used to black dirty oil in diesel engines 😏

Thanks again

• Advertisement

It can be surprisingly hard to see clean oil on some dipsticks. Almost better to look at the side view (thin side of the dipstick) and look at the thickness of the oil sticking to the dipstick.

why oh why can't manufacturers make it clear on dipstick readings, a min & max should be stamped on all dipsticks and also make it clear whether its dip and screw down or just dip 😐️

.....a min & max should be stamped on all dipsticks and also make it clear whether its dip and screw down or just dip

Thats what she's been saying for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The only drawback of the Mountfield is the cut height 22-65mm.

I'd argue any height less than 40mm is unusable in Irish Gardens, you would scalp everything.

65mm is way too low , I like a 90mm high cut .

I didnt realise Screwfix have a place in Cork now, must be new enough, very handy.

I've done a bodge of moving the height lever rack by unscrewing and drilling a few new holes on a Cobra, I notice the height rack on that Mountfield are holes pressed into the deck. There may be room to fabricate an extra one, by bringing the lever up past the last one or end stop.

There arelimits (EU?) on height of cut, don't know what they are now but anything high enough to easily slip a foot under is I believe too high.

• Advertisement

Nanny rules, for people who go out to mow in open toe sandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zverklez

I've seen a few mentions of the Webb 51cm 173cc from the Coop Superstores here since I purchased one. It is going well considering the price, but the blade is deteriorating quickly. The Coop doesn't carry the 51cm blade, and with delivery, the OEM part costs approx €65 from UK!

I wanted to check get opinions on me changing this out for another 51cm mulching blade since that is what I mostly use it for - provided the key is compatible, should this be OK?

There's no guarantee it would even get through from the UK what with an Post returning so much stuff. There's a good selection of universal 20"/51cm blades here, they come with adapters.

https://lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/categories/universal-blades

Good site. I've had a few orders from them, well priced.

Do you have the part no. for the Webb blade. There are probably plenty of identical blades used in other generic makes. Key measurements are blade length, diagonal tip to tip. Centre hole diameter, key hole radius and key hole diameter.

If you're Dublin based McKennas in Glasnevin business park are a trove of parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i am thinking of buying a second hand push lawnmower ,have been using a ride but having gearbox problems say its at end of the road now, looking at a warrior , cant seem to find much on line on this model, warrior any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement