Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grove85

New Home wrote: »
    Would you have the code/model for it? It does sound too good to be true.

Well I looked at the stiga 4092H.
    Fitzhire in cavan will ask 2,850 for it. And that's a good price.
    Then Agrieuro has it at 2,522. With a little trailer and a service kit. My local guy isn't goin to stray too far from his 3k price tag.
    Just wonderd if any one has dealt with Agrieuro?
    Too big an investment not to try find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭deezell

Grove85 wrote: »
    Well I looked at the stiga 4092H.
    Fitzhire in cavan will ask 2,850 for it. And that's a good price.
    Then Agrieuro has it at 2,522. With a little trailer and a service kit. My local guy isn't goin to stray too far from his 3k price tag.

Heres one,
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106955831
    Another
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106867090
    And another
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106964118

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Apologies, I missed the keyword "cheaper", there - I thought Grove85 said he found one for €2-300. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

deezell wrote: »
    If you buy from Amazon, it's 23% and goes to Irish revenue. It's odd, I'm not sure how have and fast the rules are.

I’ve noticed that with amazon, perhaps because they also have offices here?

But as far as I’m aware the rules are supposed to be that when buying from an eu country the vat at source is the one that’s applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

my3cents wrote: »
    Its based on the sales value, no idea of how much it is now. So a company selling a couple of mowers across the boarder doesn't have to have any special VAT setup but once they hit €xk they have to charge the VAT rate of the country they are selling into.

I didn’t realize that, but I’ve just checked and the amount of sales that then require registration in the destination country is €35,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Grove85 wrote: »

I bought a Stiga 5092H from them last September, no issues. Much cheaper plus I got that trailer and a few other extras thrown in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Have to eventually bite the bullet and get a ride on.
    Have a little over a good half acre in the front and another quarter acre out the back and have being walking behind a mower 3hrs a week for past 20 odd yrs.

Was looking at this Stiga Estate 610HW https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-estate-6102-hw-ride-on-mower-hydrostatic-transmission-grass-collector-mulching-kit-p-10567.html on the Agrieuro site with few extras thrown in, including a small trailer and maintenance kit. for €3262.50

Same mower without the extras from https://www.doyles.ie/products/stiga-estate6102hw-tractor-mower.html?filter_set[]=3,411,541 €4,499

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Regarding trailers it works well to get a small car trailer & fix a tow bar to the ride on. Then you have a trailer to transport the ride on when you need to. I used to get to a site, unload the ride on & then attach the trailer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grove85

That's good news on Agrieuro. Iv never spent that kinda money online.
    Thanks for the info boys

Berberis wrote: »
    Have to eventually bite the bullet and get a ride on.
    Have a little over a good half acre in the front and another quarter acre out the back and have being walking behind a mower 3hrs a week for past 20 odd yrs.

Was looking at this Stiga Estate 610HW https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-estate-6102-hw-ride-on-mower-hydrostatic-transmission-grass-collector-mulching-kit-p-10567.html on the Agrieuro site with few extras thrown in, including a small trailer and maintenance kit. for €3262.50

Same mower without the extras from https://www.doyles.ie/products/stiga-estate6102hw-tractor-mower.html?filter_set[]=3,411,541 €4,499

You'll miss the exercise! That's a big 102cm ride on for only 3/4 acre, rated for cutting up to 10,000 m2 or 2.5 acres. You could spend a grand less and still get around almost as fast with a more modest spec.The Alpina BT 98 is made by the Castelgarden/ Stiga/ Alpina group, it would be about 75% of the engine power, but it's a single cylinder engine, you just can't work them as hard. If you have rough ground, long wet grass, meadow like patches, etc. As you've been cutting with a hand mower for 20 seasons, id say you have no disorderly areas on your lawn. Still, you won't be disappointed with the bigger spec mower, especially the smoother twin cylinder engine. The finish may not be as precise though when you move from hand mower to very wide lawn tractor. Perhaps the 75 cm cut Toro Timemaster walk behind would be a compromise option, if you prefer a lawn like finish.

• Advertisement

You'll miss the exercise! That's a big 102cm ride on for only 3/4 acre, rated for cutting up to 10,000 m2 or 2.5 acres. You could spend a grand less and still get around almost as fast with a more modest spec.The Alpina BT 98 is made by the Castelgarden/ Stiga/ Alpina group, it would be about 75% of the engine power, but it's a single cylinder engine, you just can't work them as hard. If you have rough ground, long wet grass, meadow like patches, etc. As you've been cutting with a hand mower for 20 seasons, id say you have no disorderly areas on your lawn. Still, you won't be disappointed with the bigger spec mower, especially the smoother twin cylinder engine. The finish may not be as precise though when you move from hand mower to very wide lawn tractor. Perhaps the 75 cm cut Toro Timemaster walk behind would be a compromise option, if you prefer a lawn like finish.

Cheers for the reply, the garden is on an incline roughly 79 metres long from the house up to the road.
    Used to look well the first 10 yr or so after it was first sown especially when the children were able to earn their pocket money from regular mowing. Finding it really difficult doing it myself now and although it's pretty even surface. There is quite a lot of moss in it now so I have had to settle with just setting the mower to its highest cut every week to keep it looking tidy.

I used to collect the grass from the first 2cuts of each season but had to give that up 3 yr ago due to the arthritis. So now it's just mulched every cut. Thought it might be best to get something that can both collect and mulch the grass so maybe I could spread a bit of moss killer on it next season and the mower could collect it up after its burned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Seems like a huge jump from a reasonably sized 38" ride on to a 41" articulated zero turn. Is .8 acre the entire site or the amount in grass. Eirher way It's not a huge amount, The ride on would handle it, but it's not comparable to the TS243 or the Snapper. It's a a single pot 500cc engine, transmission is a cvt belt drive, not a hydrostatic. The snapper I linked earlier gives far more bang for your buck, even the Husky TS243T would probably be worth the extra, depending on your dealers price. It'll set you back €3150 buying in Newry, in Arm rentals., the Snapper Spx110 for €2650 is every bit as good. Almost 4 grand for a mower to do .8 acres seems a lot, but if you'd prefer a local dealer the 38" husky is reasonablely priced and up to the job.

Mentioned the TS243 to my local dealer, and he advise no longer available to get from Husqvarna and I don't see it listed on their site.

my grass area is 0.8 acre and is broken into 3 sections. One section has a bit of a slope in the corner which is why I'm hesitant on Zero Turn or mowers that are top heavy. That said, I took a Simplicity Courier SZT110 for a quick test drive at a shop nearby and it seems very nimble and sturdy. 3.7k to buy though.

Reason I'm going local is that I want to be sure I'm comfortable on the mower as 6ft 1" and clown feet. Test rode a mid range castlegarden tractor mower and was very cramped, especially using the reverse heel pedal.

Sat on a Club Cadet XT1 and found it far more comfortable but at 3.4k still a hefty chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Cheers for the reply, the garden is on an incline roughly 79 metres long from the house up to the road.
    Used to look well the first 10 yr or so after it was first sown especially when the children were able to earn their pocket money from regular mowing. Finding it really difficult doing it myself now and although it's pretty even surface. There is quite a lot of moss in it now so I have had to settle with just setting the mower to its highest cut every week to keep it looking tidy.

I used to collect the grass from the first 2cuts of each season but had to give that up 3 yr ago due to the arthritis. So now it's just mulched every cut. Thought it might be best to get something that can both collect and mulch the grass so maybe I could spread a bit of moss killer on it next season and the mower could collect it up after its burned off.

Is the incline too much for a robot? Husqvarna 430x can do sloped of 45% which works out to about 25degrees

For moss lime might do the trick for you.

Mentioned the TS243 to my local dealer, and he advise no longer available to get from Husqvarna and I don't see it listed on their site.

my grass area is 0.8 acre and is broken into 3 sections. One section has a bit of a slope in the corner which is why I'm hesitant on Zero Turn or mowers that are top heavy. That said, I took a Simplicity Courier SZT110 for a quick test drive at a shop nearby and it seems very nimble and sturdy. 3.7k to buy though.

Reason I'm going local is that I want to be sure I'm comfortable on the mower as 6ft 1" and clown feet. Test rode a mid range castlegarden tractor mower and was very cramped, especially using the reverse heel pedal.

Sat on a Club Cadet XT1 and found it far more comfortable but at 3.4k still a hefty chunk of change.

I get the bit about being cramped. I had the seat on my Castelgarden 102 right back, I still managed to snap the backrest off eventually from the pressure. I improvised a replacement from an old laminate function room chair, a springy curved piece of ply with a high back. It was perfect. When I sold it on I was looking in for a bigger platform, found it in a used Viking 6127ZL, a 127cm cut monster. Vikings ( now Stihl), use a forward/ reverse lever, then just a single pedal for drive next to the brake.

49801 wrote: »
    Is the incline too much for a robot? Husqvarna 430x can do sloped of 45% which works out to about 25degrees

For moss lime might do the trick for you.

Robot sounds like a great idea, but sulphate of iron to kill the moss, not lime. Lime though spread regularly will inhibit moss as it likes acid soil.

I get the bit about being cramped. I had the seat on my Castelgarden 102 right back, I still managed to snap the backrest off eventually from the pressure. I improvised a replacement from an old laminate function room chair, a springy curved piece of ply with a high back. It was perfect. When I sold it on I was looking in for a bigger platform, found it in a used Viking 6127ZL, a 127cm cut monster. Vikings ( now Stihl), use a forward/ reverse lever, then just a single pedal for drive next to the brake.

There is a local Viking/Stihl dealer near me, and it was them I tried out the Club Cadet and the STIHL RT 5097 which sat nicely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I've a tiny little garden, under 50sq mt.

Probably the best thing is to get the cheapest corded mower I can find, would be under 10 min job to cut the grass, seems a waste to go spending money....

However.. I like the idea of mulching. Is there anything available at reasonable price to do this? Does mulching exacerbate hay fever sufferers? (not one myself but would have some visitors)

I bought a Stiga 5092H from them last September, no issues. Much cheaper plus I got that trailer and a few other extras thrown in as well.

Could I ask is there any extra payments due on the websites price, like customs etc.
    Also did you have to assemble it once it arrived, if so was there much to assemble. Cheers

Could I ask is there any extra payments due on the websites price, like customs etc.
    Also did you have to assemble it once it arrived, if so was there much to assemble. Cheers

Being an EU purchase there was no extra charges. €20 delivery and Johnson Logistics handled things at the Irish end.

There was some assembly but not much. Biggest task was getting it off the pallet. We used two car jacks to Jack up one end of the pallet and rolled it off then.

Had to put on the steering wheel, seat, bumper and assemble the collection box. You would definitely want a second pair of hands and a DIY toolkit but I didn't find it too bad.

Reckon I saved about €500 so well worth it.

Being an EU purchase there was no extra charges. €20 delivery and Johnson Logistics handled things at the Irish end.

There was some assembly but not much. Biggest task was getting it off the pallet. We used two car jacks to Jack up one end of the pallet and rolled it off then.

Had to put on the steering wheel, seat, bumper and assemble the collection box. You would definitely want a second pair of hands and a DIY toolkit but I didn't find it too bad.

Reckon I saved about €500 so well worth it.

Ah brilliant, I should be able to do that. Was worried you have to do something with the deck or put on cutting blades. Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

Ah brilliant, I should be able to do that. Was worried you have to do something with the deck or put on cutting blades. Thanks for the reply

That exact thing worried me too but at least on that model it was already fully attached.

Take your time and you'll be grand. I was under serious pressure to make sure it worked first time as the wife was giving me grief on taking the risk of buying it online rather than going local. Thankfully it was all fine, divorce avoided for another while!

Had a look at the questions and answers on the Agrieuro site for the mower I'm thinking of getting.
    Someone asked the same question re assembly and the answer given was:

From Agrieuro On 7/26/2018

The Stiga Estate 6102 HW comes almost fully assembled. The operator has just to complete the last assembly procedure (it takes normally 30 minutes ago.). The only parts that need to be assembled are the operator's seat, wheels, grass collector and cutting elements. However, the ride-on mower comes complete with English Instructions Manual and all the information about the last assembly procedure together with additional specifications regarding the machine are provided in detail on the operator's manual

Everywhere I have checked so far online in Ireland the mower is €4,499. The Agrieuro price is over €1,200 cheaper plus the added free extras.
    That is some saving

Going to look at a Cub Cadet XT1 later today. Anything I need to look out for?

Had a look at the questions and answers on the Agrieuro site for the mower I'm thinking of getting.
    Someone asked the same question re assembly and the answer given was:

From Agrieuro On 7/26/2018

The Stiga Estate 6102 HW comes almost fully assembled. The operator has just to complete the last assembly procedure (it takes normally 30 minutes ago.). The only parts that need to be assembled are the operator's seat, wheels, grass collector and cutting elements. However, the ride-on mower comes complete with English Instructions Manual and all the information about the last assembly procedure together with additional specifications regarding the machine are provided in detail on the operator's manual

Everywhere I have checked so far online in Ireland the mower is €4,499. The Agrieuro price is over €1,200 cheaper plus the added free extras.
    That is some saving

3999 from Fitzhire in Cavan, less whatever you might haggle for a cash deal without trade in. Still a big gap

Going to look at a Cub Cadet XT1 later today. Anything I need to look out for?

Which XT1 model?

Which XT1 model?

XT1 Enduro Series. Doesn't have mulching kit but dealer will order one and throw into the package for me

cub-cadet-xt1-or95-lawn-tractor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

They handled mine too, Delivery made it from italy to ireland faster than it made it the rest of the way to me from their depot.

An Arctic arrived down to deliver it, opened up the back and took out a 30x30x30cm box for me.. (the fee oil and spark plug) They forgot the fecking pallet with the mower on it in the depot!! another 2 days waiting for it.

XT1 Enduro Series. Doesn't have mulching kit but dealer will order one and throw into the package for me

cub-cadet-xt1-or95-lawn-tractor.jpg

They're all side discharge mowers, in the US at any rate, 42" to 54" with Kohler engines. The smallest is still a large 108cm cut, 18hp job. I hope it has the power to mulch that width of cut. Sickening to see it in the USA for only €1600, I don't see any side discharge Cub cadet on the sites here, all expensive baggers. The mulch kits for the enduro series look serious, proper grass baffles and mulch blades, but I only see them on the cub cadet site for the bigger 3 blade mowers ( all blades rotate the same direction to the side discharge).
    You're looking at a 95cm XT1 rear bagger which I only see on UK/Irish sites, which would be a contra rotating twin blade, with possibly just a chute plug for mulching. If the Uk price of £3300 Is translated in €, about €3820, it looks poor value for 95cm cut 9hp own brand engine single cylinder mower. If sold in US would it even make $1700/€1500 based on their side discharge prices and specs. You can do better.

They're all side discharge mowers, in the US at any rate, 42" to 54" with Kohler engines. The smallest is still a large 108cm cut, 18hp job. I hope it has the power to mulch that width of cut. Sickening to see it in the USA for only €1600, I don't see any side discharge Cub cadet on the sites here, all expensive baggers. The mulch kits for the enduro series look serious, proper grass baffles and mulch blades, but I only see them on the cub cadet site for the bigger 3 blade mowers ( all blades rotate the same direction to the side discharge).
    You're looking at a 95cm XT1 rear bagger which I only see on UK/Irish sites, which would be a contra rotating twin blade, with possibly just a chute plug for mulching. If the Uk price of £3300 Is translated in €, about €3820, it looks poor value for 95cm cut 9hp own brand engine single cylinder mower. If sold in US would it even make $1700/€1500 based on their side discharge prices and specs. You can do better.

My local place is selling for €3400 and will throw in the mulch kit/plug in for free.

They also have a STIHL RT 5097 C that I am looking at also.

• Advertisement

So, bought myself a STIHL RT 5112Z. Decided after lots of research (mostly the legend that is deezell) that I needed a twin cylinder mower for mowing on slopes that can bag and mulch.

cb79cf1ad0f74b40a8bc51b6c23fdd24.jpg

Got 300euro off with my local dealer including oil and safety gear thrown in to the deal, so im happy out. Thanks to all on the thread for the info, looking forward to taking delivery now.

Advertisement