Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi All

I got a belt form an Irish online retailer and was told it was the correct one even though it was an OEM. Its too long so waste of time.

where can I get a genuine husq belt online? I went to a Hus Dealer near me and he was fobbing me off by telling me there are multiple belts and that I would need to bring the mower into him

if I can buy one myself I am good

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

deezell wrote: »
    Coughlans in Kilkenny, Carlow, EC Pratt in Avbbeyleix, Arm rentals in Newry, if any of these have a collector model in stock it would be substantially the same machine but with a collector deck, so you'd get an idea of the build quality.

I be in Newry now and then so that could work.

You'll pay for JD, for sure. Try ringing IFGM at their number, 01 8463922, they have an address in Malahide, maybe they have a distribution centre, warehouse or showroom, or maybe they work as a resell from a european warehouse. D'internet is king these days, but a phonecall can't hurt, see what the local dealer network is like and who might have one in stock. They basicall deliver to a dealer near you who becomes your warranty point.

Would the JD z235 a zero turn be a better option over the Snapper spx110 or other tractor mowers? Especially with a little slope and the grass could be a little tall at times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

Folks
    Looking to buy a lawnmower.
    Big area to cut and a ride on is not really an option (few reasons why. no need to go into them)

We've had the loan of a Toro Timemaster with a 30" cut and it's ideal. Expensive though.

Are there any recommendations or something similar. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a 30" cut but wouldn't want to be too much smaller either.

Budget is flexible (to a point) but we're looking at ballpark €1000

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi All

I got a belt form an Irish online retailer and was told it was the correct one even though it was an OEM. Its too long so waste of time.

where can I get a genuine husq belt online? I went to a Hus Dealer near me and he was fobbing me off by telling me there are multiple belts and that I would need to bring the mower into him

if I can buy one myself I am good

Thanks

Deck drive belt or wheel drive belt? Here's a good site to find the correct belt for any machine, link is for huskys, right column gives the mower name.
    http://www.ratioparts.com/ansicht/Ratioparts/index.php?mo=Shop&op=8714&UID=9804&__utmz=73904913.1551709525.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29&__utma=73904913.1366556592.1551709525.1553467363.1554726163.8&__utmc=73904913&__utmt=1&__utmb=73904913.15.10.1554726163&Von=0

For your mower cth150 the hydro drive belt is a standard A113, thats a 13mm by 8mm profile, inner length 2870mm or 113"

The double vee cutter belt is an AA112, 12.8mm by 2850mm median length.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Thanks for your response, it is the hydro drive belt I am looking for
    Deck drive belt or wheel drive belt? Here's a good site to find the correct belt for any machine, link is for huskys, right column gives the mower name.
    http://www.ratioparts.com/ansicht/Ratioparts/index.php?mo=Shop&op=8714&UID=9804&__utmz=73904913.1551709525.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29&__utma=73904913.1366556592.1551709525.1553467363.1554726163.8&__utmc=73904913&__utmt=1&__utmb=73904913.15.10.1554726163&Von=0

For your mower cth150 the hydro drive belt is a standard A113, thats a 13mm by 8mm profile, inner length 2870mm or 113"

The double vee cutter belt is an AA112, 12.8mm by 2850mm median length.

• Advertisement

For anyone looking for a high quality walk behind mower, Brodericks in Rathcoole/Newcastle are giving 10% off their range of Cobra mowers, including this premium MX model,
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/premium-grade-cobra-mx515spbi-20-aluminium-deck-with-briggs-stratton-instart-engine/
    €669 down to €602.10, and that's for a 51cm 3in1 with aluminium deck, electric start B&S instart engine, rubber shod ball bearing wheels, 5 speed drive and top quality build on the handles, levers etc. I'm not seeing anything out there with that combination of engine, cut and additional premium features for that price, maybe the CastelGarden XS 55 BVWE4 comes closest with an extra 2cm cut but it's a steel deck machine, and a bit of a brute. I took the plunge, time to put the 20 year old Stiga out to grass. Ouch.

G1032 wrote: »
    Folks
    Looking to buy a lawnmower.
    Big area to cut and a ride on is not really an option (few reasons why. no need to go into them)

We've had the loan of a Toro Timemaster with a 30" cut and it's ideal. Expensive though.

Are there any recommendations or something similar. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a 30" cut but wouldn't want to be too much smaller either.

Budget is flexible (to a point) but we're looking at ballpark €1000

Thanks

This huge Marina is 57cm cut, single blade , less complex than the Toro, less to go wrong
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-mx57sh3v-stainless-steel-deck-professional-lawn-mower-with-honda-gxv160-engine-p-4214.html

You could enquire from here and elsewhere about well priced timemasters,
    used and demo. This one about €700 plus shipping
    https://www.garden-machinery.co.uk/toro-20975-timemaster-76cm-cut-with-bbc-2782.html

Closer to home buy new in Fermanagh for €1100 https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-time-master/21118571

For only €499 you can pick up this 56cm in Woodies, looks decent enough, there 10% off first purchase if you register and buy online.
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-56cm-163cc-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-1143248

Same €499 will buy you this 53cm composite deck Husky from Robert Kees, not that big a cut by your requirements but very maneuverable, huge discount on normal. I fondled one last week and was impressed
    https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-lc253s-self-propelled-lawnmower?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIzlBRDzARIsABgXqV9r_qJEFtKtukHJX_MdCFqk1WWe1aDnJMc4yqObzPij2pQOKN3N55caAopTEALw_wcB

Theres also this single blade 60cm Harry commercial, cost as much as a Toro twin
    http://www.lawn-king.co.uk/machinery/lawnmowers/petrol_self_propelled_lawnmowers_2014/gt60sh3v/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

This huge Marina is 57cm cut, single blade , less complex than the Toro, less to go wrong
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-mx57sh3v-stainless-steel-deck-professional-lawn-mower-with-honda-gxv160-engine-p-4214.html

You could enquire from here and elsewhere about well priced timemasters,
    used and demo. This one about €700 plus shipping
    https://www.garden-machinery.co.uk/toro-20975-timemaster-76cm-cut-with-bbc-2782.html

Closer to home buy new in Fermanagh for €1100 https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/toro-time-master/21118571

For only €499 you can pick up this 56cm in Woodies, looks decent enough, there 10% off first purchase if you register and buy online.
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-56cm-163cc-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-1143248

Same €499 will buy you this 53cm composite deck Husky from Robert Kees, not that big a cut by your requirements but very maneuverable, huge discount on normal. I fondled one last week and was impressed
    https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-lc253s-self-propelled-lawnmower?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIzlBRDzARIsABgXqV9r_qJEFtKtukHJX_MdCFqk1WWe1aDnJMc4yqObzPij2pQOKN3N55caAopTEALw_wcB

Theres also this single blade 60cm Harry commercial, cost as much as a Toro twin
    http://www.lawn-king.co.uk/machinery/lawnmowers/petrol_self_propelled_lawnmowers_2014/gt60sh3v/

Thanks a million for that. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scouser123

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the BIOCLIP mulching on the Husqvarna TC239T. It seems to be a lever that you push and suddenly its a mulcher. Does this just close off the chute entrance in the blade area and dump clumps of grass on the ground or is there something more clever in its operation? I want to collect and mulch in different areas of the garden and this sounds ideal but if it sounds too good to be true.........

Many thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

scouser123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the BIOCLIP mulching on the Husqvarna TC239T. It seems to be a lever that you push and suddenly its a mulcher. Does this just close off the chute entrance in the blade area and dump clumps of grass on the ground or is there something more clever in its operation? I want to collect and mulch in different areas of the garden and this sounds ideal but if it sounds too good to be true.........

Many thanks for any help.
    A lot of the walk behind mulchers work like this.

The grass cuttings are retained in the chamber for a second and are chopped repeatedly as the blades turn.

And they are 'dumped' on to the grass, although they should be quite fine if conditions are right.

Its works ok on my Honda anyway, but always remember that if you are mulching then you should never be taking off too much and it should be as dry as possible.
    If you cut a lot off and its wet, it'll not go into fine pieces and will lie on your lawn in big wet lumps.

• Advertisement

Cheers NIMAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@NIMAN

how does a mulching accessory on a ride work? all it seems to do is block the back chute?

fryup wrote: »
    @NIMAN

how does a mulching accessory on a ride work? all it seems to do is block the back chute?

Same way. On my ride-on Husq, there was a large plug which went into the back chute, which stopped the cuttings entering any exit and kept them under the deck, where the blades cut them to fine pieces.

I mulched with a ride-on on every cut for several years with no issues.

This is the newer shaped ones, this goes into the rear chute, and the bottom bit covers the exit from the cutting deck
    https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/husqvarna-bioclip-mulch-plug-for-lawn-tractors/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4v30-rfF4QIV-B-tBh3v9wBJEAQYASABEgK4E_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will the existing blades do? or should you have mulching blades?

NIMAN wrote: »
    A lot of the walk behind mulchers work like this.

The grass cuttings are retained in the chamber for a second and are chopped repeatedly as the blades turn.

And they are 'dumped' on to the grass, although they should be quite fine if conditions are right.

Its works ok on my Honda anyway, but always remember that if you are mulching then you should never be taking off too much and it should be as dry as possible.
    If you cut a lot off and its wet, it'll not go into fine pieces and will lie on your lawn in big wet lumps.

About to do my first cut with mulcher this year and my grass is quite heavy so this is good to know. Ill top it first this week and go again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

About to do my first cut with mulcher this year and my grass is quite heavy so this is good to know. Ill top it first this week and go again next week.

Weekly in our climate particularly at this time of year isn't often enough if you are mulching and want a good finish.

my3cents wrote: »
    Weekly in our climate particularly at this time of year isn't often enough if you are mulching and want a good finish.

I would like to do it more often, but generally restricted to weekends due to work commitments.

I would like to do it more often, but generally restricted to weekends due to work commitments.

That is the all to common reason that mulching fails in Ireland. Miss one weekend as can easily happen due to weather conditions or commitments and you really are stuffed.

Later in the season though it can save you a good bit of time if the ground dries out and growth slows down.

Are you not able to collect the grass?

I would for the 1st few cuts, until you get it down to manageable levels.

With grass cutting, you are only meant to take off a max of 1/3 of the height of the grass with each cut. A lot of people usually scalp their lawns, and scalping and mulching do not mix.

Disposable of the grass is the problem where I am, so mulching would work better for me. Also I inherited the ride on mower of the house I bought, and it has no box, just mulcher setup.

I have no problem going out every weekend, providing its not absolutely abysmal weather.

• Advertisement

I assume the standard cutting blades are used when installing the Bioclip from the back or using the inbuilt lever to engage the Bioclip on the 239T. I always thought you needed to replace the blades as well? Assuming dry conditions and lowish grass height does the Bioclip with standard blades produce decent results?

Cheers

Here's a 107cm dual side discharge/mulching mower with a beefy 20hp twin cylinder engine for little over €2.5 K. You need decent power when mulching, and this twin is well up to the job. Side discharge is useful if its too heavy to mulch.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/mtd-optima-lg-200-hydrostatic-transmission-and-side-discharge-p-8686.html

The same engine and cut is the Husqvarna TS 243T , it'll set you back nearer €3200-3500.

Was back in to my local mower dealer, and he suggested a Husqvarna TS138 for €2,350, but when I said I have 0.8 acre, he said lawn may be too big and I should go for a rider mower, like the Husqvarna 214TC for €3,900. Is he talking out his a$$?

Was back in to my local mower dealer, and he suggested a Husqvarna TS138 for €2,350, but when I said I have 0.8 acre, he said lawn may be too big and I should go for a rider mower, like the Husqvarna 214TC for €3,900. Is he talking out his a$$?

Seems like a huge jump from a reasonably sized 38" ride on to a 41" articulated zero turn. Is .8 acre the entire site or the amount in grass. Eirher way It's not a huge amount, The ride on would handle it, but it's not comparable to the TS243 or the Snapper. It's a a single pot 500cc engine, transmission is a cvt belt drive, not a hydrostatic. The snapper I linked earlier gives far more bang for your buck, even the Husky TS243T would probably be worth the extra, depending on your dealers price. It'll set you back €3150 buying in Newry, in Arm rentals., the Snapper Spx110 for €2650 is every bit as good. Almost 4 grand for a mower to do .8 acres seems a lot, but if you'd prefer a local dealer the 38" husky is reasonablely priced and up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grove85

I'm looking around for a small ride on mower. Has any one bought from Agrieuro.
    As far as I can see its an Italian site. 2-3 hundred euro cheaper then a local dealer.
    Looks too good to be true?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would you have the code/model for it? It does sound too good to be true.

New Home wrote: »
    Would you have the code/model for it? It does sound too good to be true.
    There are a good few here who have bought from Agrieuro and other on line sources, if you trawl back through. Differences are not that surprising for certain models, where local dealer's are going via a distributor, or are operating to rigid price structure as part of a dealership franchise, (Huskys, Stihl etc). There's also pricing to accommodate trade ins. All this can inflate listed price, but many will match internet prices or come close to clinch a cash sale. I recently viewed the big CastelGarden XS 55 BVWE4 walk behind in a dealers, Shanley lawnmowers in Newcastle co Dublin, his asking price was 620, a euro more than Agrieuro, and a good deal below the advertised list prices of most dealers. If you're looking to trade in list prices are used, just like buying a car. Internet sales don't have that headache, just volume sales. Northern Ireland dealers have the advantage of lower VAT, strictly speaking they should charge 23% for ROI deliveries.
    If you've no trade in, I'd try haggling a cash deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

There are a good few here who have bought from Agrieuro and other on line sources, if you trawl back through. Differences are not that surprising for certain models, where local dealer's are going via a distributor, or are operating to rigid price structure as part of a dealership franchise, (Huskys, Stihl etc). There's also pricing to accommodate trade ins. All this can inflate listed price, but many will match internet prices or come close to clinch a cash sale. I recently viewed the big CastelGarden XS 55 BVWE4 walk behind in a dealers, Shanley lawnmowers in Newcastle co Dublin, his asking price was 620, a euro more than Agrieuro, and a good deal below the advertised list prices of most dealers. If you're looking to trade in list prices are used, just like buying a car. Internet sales don't have that headache, just volume sales. Northern Ireland dealers have the advantage of lower VAT, strictly speaking they should charge 23% for ROI deliveries.
    If you've no trade in, I'd try haggling a cash deal.

Vat is charged at source so a uk/ni sourced item should be charged at 20% as that is the correct vat amount for the supplying country.

I think I’m right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Etesia uk have an electric Bahia ride on that would suit your plot secondhand on their website.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Vat is charged at source so a uk/ni sourced item should be charged at 20% as that is the correct vat amount for the supplying country.

I think I’m right?

If you buy from Amazon, it's 23% and goes to Irish revenue. It's odd, I'm not sure how hard and fast the rules are.

• Advertisement

If you buy from Amazon, it's 23% and goes to Irish revenue. It's odd, I'm not sure how hard and fast the rules are.

Its based on the sales value, no idea of how much it is now. So a company selling a couple of mowers across the boarder doesn't have to have any special VAT setup but once they hit €xk they have to charge the VAT rate of the country they are selling into.

Advertisement