Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

deezell wrote: »
    You don't hold it down. When you stop, press it once, release, you have 5 second to select reverse without blade disengagement, or, you can stop, select revese and within a second press and release the button to enable reverse mowing . It works on stop by stop basis, there's no programming mechanism to disable it afaik, though here is a procedure on ignition to disable automatic full bag disengagement, by pressing for five seconds, the reverse mowing button and drive pedal, while the engine is off and ignition is on (page 35). On the bigger 6127ZL there is an indicator on the display that shows when the reverse mowing button mode is selected, and you have the 5s window to engage reverse.

Good to know. Need to read the manual

Are ride on lawnmower lifters any use to allow easy access underneath for maintenance?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/lifter-Lifting-Device-Garden-Tractor/dp/B00OV5JKLK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭deezell

.....From reading a few other posts, I think I will heed Deezell's advice about painting the underside with a couple of coats of red oxide paint to stop the rust anyway.
    Do.
    Does anyone know if it is tricky to get the deck off a Castelgarden,
    It is tricky, older CGs required removal of the Engine belt pulleys to free the belts. Not sure of the very new models, but yours is an electric clutch non-synchronous blade, should be easy to drop the belt from the clutch. I know it was common on the older mowers to remove the grass box and just stand the mower upright, mad as it seems, on a hard surface it would sit nicely on its rear steel bag hooks, a few bits bit of wood maybe. Took two to lift the front with the back wheels locked/wedged, or lift with a pulley in a garage. Ideal for blade inspection, painting, cleaning. once the fuel was low, oil went to back of the engine, battery sealed type so no leaks. Also for rear drive sprocket, differential, chain work on a manual gearbox drive it was very handy. I found it easier eventually to just drop the deck once you got the hang of it.
    Is it OK to powerwash the deck to get the stubborn grass off, or could this damage the blades/deck?
    You should be OK, don't point the jet directly at the shaft bearing.
    Should you use the hose connectors to wash the deck after each use? Does this really work, or does this just contribute to the rusting?
    Jurys out on this. I think it's pointless and messy, unless the grass was mush to begin with.
    Should I change the oil, or would it be OK for one more season?
    You'll be Ok for this season, but change oil at least next season, it can get moisture in it lying up, but Id say there are mowers out there with the same oil for years. With low use filter should be good for 2 seasons, but cheap as chips to DIY change.
    Is it advisable to get the mower serviced once a year by a dealer/manufacturer, or can you do most of it yourself and bring to a service centre every 2/3 years instead?
    2/3 Sounds like a plan. Dealer might spot something amiss. He'll advise changing belts even if they look serviceable to you, otherwise you might break one in the first few weeks and moan, "this was just serviced"
    Any other hints/tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to keep this mower going for 10 years at least!
    You might find this parts manual useful. Part names French, but pictures and part numbers are the same. Get a pdf translate app something if you like.
    https://www.ggpfrance.net/index.php/documents/catalogue-pieces-de-rechanges/2018/castelgarden-autoportees-2018/7441-2t2620273-c16-xdc170hd-2018/file

Are ride on lawnmower lifters any use to allow easy access underneath for maintenance?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/lifter-Lifting-Device-Garden-Tractor/dp/B00OV5JKLK

Won't break the bank, might stop you breaking your arm! Irish version of this is a cut down fence post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Does anyone in here have some hints and tips on the maintenance/servicing of a ride-on mower?

I bought a Castelgarden XDC170hd last year, for cutting about an acre of grass. It didn't get a massive amount of use due to a new baby and most of the grass being burnt by the sun!
    So far, I haven't done anything much in the line of servicing, meaning it still has the same oil which came when it was delivered. I have also noticed a few rust spots developing on the underside of the deck.

From reading a few other posts, I think I will heed Deezell's advice about painting the underside with a couple of coats of red oxide paint to stop the rust anyway.
    Does anyone know if it is tricky to get the deck off a Castelgarden, or should I just get something like a mower jack to prop the deck up so I can get at it without having to drop it off? I had a go at taking it off, but it wasn't co-operating so I left it in case I did more damage than good.

Is it OK to powerwash the deck to get the stubborn grass off, or could this damage the blades/deck?

Should you use the hose connectors to wash the deck after each use? Does this really work, or does this just contribute to the rusting?

Should I change the oil, or would it be OK for one more season?

Is it advisable to get the mower serviced once a year by a dealer/manufacturer, or can you do most of it yourself and bring to a service centre every 2/3 years instead?

Any other hints/tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to keep this mower going for 10 years at least!

It’s easy take the deck off its 2 bolts and 2 r clips just take a few pictures before you dismantle and mark the threads incase they turn with the deck off because they are used to level the deck.
    Then guide the blade belt off the pulley and pull out the deck with belt attached.
    Youd have the deck off in 10 minutes.
    Turn it upside down outside and power wash it thoroughly both sides and leave it inside to dry for a few days.
    A light sand then and paint it.theres plastic covers on the top you can remove them too if you want.
    Hammerite is the stuff you want to paint on it.i do paint mine both sides hammerite under and a red steel girder paint outside.
    Leave it a week somewhere warm then to cure and refit.
    I do this every year end of cutting and sharpen the blades with the grinder and service the engine.oil change oil filter and the little petrol filter on the fuel line.air filter too if it needs one or bang it out and a shot of the airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 FannyBadger

Thanks very much Deezell, Doc and Arbee for all the replies and advice on this!

Deezell, that parts list may come in very handy down the line so cheers for that.

@ Michael - I have one of those lawnmower lifting jacks on order, I can let you know if it's any use whenever it arrives (Should have been here last week).
    You might need to be wary of tipping it to the correct side to make sure oil doesn't leak...

@ Michael - I have one of those lawnmower lifting jacks on order, I can let you know if it's any use whenever it arrives (Should have been here last week).
    You might need to be wary of tipping it to the correct side to make sure oil doesn't leak...

Where did you get yours from (when it arrives)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

Hi All,

Is there anywhere in Dublin that takes old petrol lawnmowers in when buying a new one?

Thanks.

Cormo87 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is there anywhere in Dublin that takes old petrol lawnmowers in when buying a new one?

Thanks.

Mower city in Emmet rd Inchicore for one. If they sell used, then they most likely take trade in. If you're just looking to get rid of a knackered mower, they'll probaly take it anyway. If it's in any way working, you'll sell on Adverts or Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FannyBadger

Where did you get yours from (when it arrives)

I got it on ebay but can't paste the URL here as I'm too new!

Similar price to the Amazon one, but free delivery from Germany I think.
    The delay is not with Germany though - it got to Ireland last week, but DPD sent it to Wexford. I thought this was the point of Eircodes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can i make a homemade mulching kit for my ride on...i just basically need to block the collection chute?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fryup wrote: »
    can i make a homemade mulching kit for my ride on...i just basically need to block the collection chute?

Not sure if this would be possible.

I also think that mowers made for mulching actually have a different blade to a normal mower, specifically for the purpose.

I could be wrong though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

fryup wrote: »

No you need to change the blades from the normal cutting ones to mulching ones for it to work properly.you can buy mulching kits which include blades and the plug

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if this would be possible.

I also think that mowers made for mulching actually have a different blade to a normal mower, specifically for the purpose.

I could be wrong though;)
    Mulch specific mowers have the mulch blades. 3 in 1 mowers might have a compromise blade, perhaps a serrated impeller fin. Most ride on mulch plugs will have some kind of curve or baffle to hopefully direct the grass back over the centre of the blades, so they recycle it a few times before falling through, and also to distribute it evenly over the cut width. A straight blockage, as we all know, will often result in a trail of clumps in the centre, not surprising, as the blockage is often causesd by long damp soft grass. This is equally unsuitable for mulching anyway. Fwiw, I've noticed that my ride on performs as a decent mulcher following a chute blockage in a heavy patch, but only when when mowing through the lighter areas of growth. It clumps when I hit the heavy bit on the next lap, at which point I see the previous lap's clumps, and have to poke out blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

On that note, my Iseki SXG15 gets blocked quite a bit. Mostly down to me not tipping the box in time I am guessing.

The reason behind that is I don't get any notification when I need to tip it. This is an old second hand one so not sure, but did these have an alarm/notification bell on release?
    Needs a service soon so might have a look at getting that back working also if it did.

Thanks

ustari wrote: »
    On that note, my Iseki SXG15 gets blocked quite a bit. Mostly down to me not tipping the box in time I am guessing.

The reason behind that is I don't get any notification when I need to tip it. This is an old second hand one so not sure, but did these have an alarm/notification bell on release?
    Needs a service soon so might have a look at getting that back working also if it did.

Thanks
    The Vikings have a bag full alarm, and it can be set to cut off the mowing blades when it goes off. It's adjustable, it's a small lever that protrudes into the grass catcher. if the Iseki has an alarm, there should be a small lever sensor of some type to detect the building pile of grass.

ustari wrote: »

Thanks

Parts diagrams here. Your bag type in the first few files, sensor plate and switch arrangement on the base of the bag to measure the weight of grass by the look of it.

http://iseki.ie/manuals/Manuals.html#C:/Users/ANDREW/Desktop/ISEKI%20UK%20Parts%20Manuals/SXG15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Anyone have any knowledge of the Aldi electric lawnmower on sale this week?

https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-40v-cordless-lawn-mower-skin/p/097702269775900

Anyone have any knowledge of the Aldi electric lawnmower on sale this week?

https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-40v-cordless-lawn-mower-skin/p/097702269775900

Batteries not included

Battery is €35, and charger maybe €20. You might need a second battery, 40V 2.5 A hour battery will deliver maybe 500W for maybe 10 minutes or less, so toud want a very small lawn and cut often to reduce the load. It's only rated to last 30 min just spinning with no load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Batteries not included

Battery is €35, and charger maybe €20. You might need a second battery, 40V 2.5 A hour battery will deliver maybe 500W for maybe 10 minutes or less, so toud want a very small lawn and cut often to reduce the load. It's only rated to last 30 min just spinning with no load.

Thanks, noticed the extra for battery and charger but was thinking of getting at least one other compatible tool so would be ok with that.

Probably would need 20 mins to do front and back so good info from you there :)

First cut is usually later than i'd like as lawn is usually waterlogged in winter so can be very long

Might go for the B and Q corded or just go petrol again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hey guys just looking on advice between these 2 petrol lawnmowers in woodies.
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278?utm_source=google_shopping&&gclid=CjwKCAjwqqrmBRAAEiwAdpDXtBMfr8uOo0zRJxz2hh0G__Z-pLCagqKTBP3y7ny_ViaWLUs5J3kvLBoCmcsQAvD_BwE

And
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-41cm-125cc-petrol-lawnmower-online-only-offer-1106894
    Both are the same price, would I be right in saying the 2nd mower with the Briggs & Stratton engine would be better then the Hyundai engine? I don't have a very big back & front but not a fan of electrical lawnmowers and back tends to hold a lot of water at times so have found the petrol mowers better.

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278?utm_source=google_shopping&&gclid=CjwKCAjwqqrmBRAAEiwAdpDXtBMfr8uOo0zRJxz2hh0G__Z-pLCagqKTBP3y7ny_ViaWLUs5J3kvLBoCmcsQAvD_BwE

And
    https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-41cm-125cc-petrol-lawnmower-online-only-offer-1106894
    Both are the same price, would I be right in saying the 2nd mower with the Briggs & Stratton engine would be better than the Hyundai engine? I don't have a very big back/front garden but not a fan of electrical lawnmowers and back tends to hold a lot of water at times so have found the petrol mowers better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

glic83 wrote: »

And
    Both are the same price, would I be right in saying the 2nd mower with the Briggs & Stratton engine would be better than the Hyundai engine? I don't have a very big back/front garden but not a fan of electrical lawnmowers and back tends to hold a lot of water at times so have found the petrol mowers better.

If all you need is a push mower then its a decent machine which if looked after will do a good bit of work. The Briggs engine version is probably the better I suspect the hyundai is just a rebadged cheap chinese engine.

Both prices are a rip off though. Its essentially the same machine as Lidl had here for the same money a month ago. I say its a rip off because Lidl were selling the same machine in the UK for £139 (about €165). I know because I still have one in the back of my car in I bought last Friday in the UK. I've still a previous version that has suffered 4 seasons of very rough use (it even cut an acre a good few times when the ride on was out of action) but decided to get a spare at a decent price while I could.

Edit> Comparing engines it would be hard to choose between then the hyundai one might be slightly more powerful?

my3cents wrote: »
    If all you need is a push mower then its a decent machine which if looked after will do a good bit of work. The Briggs engine version is probably the better I suspect the hyundai is just a rebadged cheap chinese engine.

Both prices are a rip off though. Its essentially the same machine as Lidl had here for the same money a month ago. I say its a rip off because Lidl were selling the same machine in the UK for £139 (about €165). I know because I still have one in the back of my car in I bought last Friday in the UK. I've still a previous version that has suffered 4 seasons of very rough use (it even cut an acre a good few times when the ride on was out of action) but decided to get a spare at a decent price while I could.

Edit> Comparing engines it would be hard to choose between then the hyundai one might be slightly more powerful?

Yeah I was just going by the fact that it was a known brand name, haven't come across anyone with the Hyundai mower. How much was the lidl one here a few weeks ago? 200? The 2 mentioned above seem to be the best value for what I'd need , haven't seen any others.

Yeah I was just going by the fact that it was a known brand name, haven't come across anyone with the Hyundai mower. How much was the lidl one here a few weeks ago? 200? The 2 mentioned above seem to be the best value for what I'd need , haven't seen any others.

Buy this recognised brand Stiga online for €170 delivered, GGP own brand engine,
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-collector-43-push-lawn-mower-100-cc-engine-petrol-lawn-mower-p-10246.html
    Or
    https://www.woodies.ie/sign-up-to-our-newsletter-homepage-header

Buy this recognised brand Stiga online for €170 delivered, GGP own brand engine,
    https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/stiga-collector-43-push-lawn-mower-100-cc-engine-petrol-lawn-mower-p-10246.html
    Or

*This discount code cannot be use in conjunction with any other discount or special offer. Cannot be used on Lawnmowers, Garden Powertools, Sheds, Showers, Pressure Washers, Dewalt or woodiespartyzone.ie

*This discount code cannot be use in conjunction with any other discount or special offer. Cannot be used on Lawnmowers, Garden Powertools, Sheds, Showers, Pressure Washers, Dewalt or woodiespartyzone.ie
    Bummer. Well Chadwicks have the actual Hyundai mowers in fetching blue livery starting at €179 for the 42cm push. Here's their spring brochure

http://www.chadwicks.ie/images/downloads/Spring_Sale_-_Chadwicks.pdf

Or

Thats more like the right price for a very similar (possibly better) machine.

my3cents wrote: »
    Thats more like the right price for a very similar (possibly better) machine.

@my3cents you're referring to the first one I take it? Even though it has the smaller engine?

• Advertisement

@my3cents you're referring to the first one I take it? Even though it has the smaller engine?

Yep. When you include delivery and a fivers worth of engine oil its a good deal.

Smaller engine may actually be more powerful. Very hard to directly compare them as they all quote different figures.

Advertisement