Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The people who are delighted that the catholic church has fallen, what is you view of christianity in general? Are you hoping it all falls or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pancratic

They will be in two camps, those who don't care and find it bothersome from an effort point of view, and those who see it as antithetical to their own personal beliefs and pursuit of lifestyle.

The commonality between the two types is selfishness. One in general, one specific. They couldn't give a rats about anything or anyone else, no matter what they say.

They fit nicely into that cycle I posted above.

There's too much to respond to there, some good conversation but too large.

I think I've made my position clear about how people behave and how they are controlled. We believe people are different.

To the single point you raise about science replacing religion and it's impact, well, I only see that as reinforcing my point.

There are reams of scientific knowledge, yet people, in very large numbers just outright ignore it. Climate science, biology, physics, doesn't matter what science says or not, people just don't care. What they want to believe, and what they are told to believe, are all that matters.

There's no enlightenment coming. Religion is intrinsic to society. Belief trump's all. People drank bleach because it was popular. Enough said!

The basic tenets are great, as with most religions. It has just has been twisted for money and power, and is used as a handy crutch for people who hate anyone different than themselves. Hence it is why you have most right wing parties and nationalist groups, (you know scrotes and the mentally challenged) , claiming to be Christians, while acting in no way like a Christian.

It's sort of like people online going on about people being woke, they generally mean that people aren't c*nts like they are.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

What did the Romans ever do for us? Mmmm ... they left us art, architecture, literature, law, a system of government that we've pretty much copied. The list goes on. That aside. They also left us a church that sets itself above national laws when it suits. Avoids liability for it's actions whenever possible and even when the majority of citizens seek and obtain legislative change in the fields of divorce, abortion, IVF, euthanasia etc., it still tries to get these laws changed. Bearing in mind that the church itself has been seen to hold itself separate from national law when it is in it's interest to do so. This is further illustrated by the church being totally unaccountable to it's own membership.

So, we have a church that sees itself as above the State, unaccountable to it's own membership and somehow also feels it has the right to dictate to society what ought to be done in terms of human reproduction, family structure etc etc.

It isn't all that different from a multinational corporation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Are you forgetting about the religion that thinks it's okay to veil women in burkas, practice FGM, and throw people off buildings? Gotta love the way people think the CC is discriminating against women when Mary is revered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Read thread title. Fall of the catholic church.

Start a new thread about that other religion if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Selfish because they just couldn't be bothered to adhere to your chosen religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Mary revered while every other pregnant teenage girl was locked up in forced slave labour washing the smelly jocks and socks of the big men who made the rules.

Second class citizens? Not even near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it really that big of a surprise to you to learn that people can have their own intrinsic values and morality with being told what to think by old men wearing decorative gowns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What you quoted said the same thing only in one line.

The church is a large organisation with traits of a large organisation. It's hardly news. It's been like that for nearly two thousand years they claim.

Nah, I think you missed the bit about credibility and accountability. Neither of which I've seen from the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's what happened when Irish people got involved.

'Mandatory prayers' is a bit of a contradiction, as not even the RCC gets 100% control over the deepest inner thoughts. 'Mandatory prayers' isn't the issue.

That's a deflection, and you know it. At the start of classes, are there prayers led by the teacher, which adhere to Christian teachings? Based on the objections on this thread, that would exactly be the issue, otherwise how would the religion be forced down their throats? (Not what you said. Another poster. But the same sentiment remains).

Prayers have nothing to do with a persons deepest inner thoughts. They're a mechanism to encourage conformity of thought. but do nothing for the individualism that all people have within themselves.

Having religion embedded in school life is the issue. The 'is there anything to be said for another Mass' as the default way of bringing students and staff together is the issue. Having religion embedded in the school day is the issue - prayers in class or registration, even if they 'non mandatory' is the issue. Religious statues and iconography around the school is the issue.

Except you haven't shown that there is no value in those expressions. There are benefits to having a mass, depending on the charisma and ability of the priest doing the service.

I've already said that I don't believe that religious iconography or expression of religious beliefs should be a key component on mandatory classes. Anything that is elective is different though, and parents/students should be allowed to choose for themselves if they wish to be exposed to such things.

TBH where I am now, I see little difference between Religion and the support for Trans issues.. except that we know where religion will likely lead, but we don't have a clue where the pro-trans educating will lead.

Take religion out of schools. If families want religion, let them do it on their own time and money. We'll see how enthusiastic they are then.

They'll be exactly as enthusiastic as they are now. I can see you don't get it. Christianity is all about sacrifice. They'll accept the sacrifice required to ensure that their children are brought up in the Catholic faith.

Don't get me wrong. We're not at cross purposes here. I want religion gone from society, but I don't want us shooting ourselves in the foot by doing it. Western religion is dying. All the hate and bitterness could stop today, and the religion would still end within a few decades. It simply doesn't fit with the modern age, and the way people see themselves. It'll continue to limp along, as will most faiths, but it won't amount to anything, because the bubble has burst. And I have enormous respect for most of the priests/nuns/brothers I've known in my life. I have none of the hate that you see on this thread. I have nothing but good memories for the people I have known through the Catholic faith... but it's time has ended.

It is what it is.

Well, I'm amazed to have to explain why women in the RCC are second class citizens. But here goes: have you met many women priests, bishops, cardinals or popes? That's why women are second glass citizens, not permitted to be involved in running the church. Good enough to clean the church and put up the flowers and maybe even do a reading if the grumpy priest is in progressive mood, but not good enough to play a part in running the church - second class citizens.

It's not that simple. I know you want it to be that simple but it's not. The RCC has rules. That's simple enough. Obviously it has a structure. But that doesn't mean that those excluded are second-class anything. For example, in spite of being baptised, I could not be a prince of the church, because it has a variety of basic requirements. and other requirements which I am unlikely to meet. But then, I wouldn't want to be a prince of the church. Horrible position, for all it's power and authority.. imagine being limited and constantly observed that way. Ugh.

Women are not second class citizens in the RCC. They're simply excluded from a variety of roles. It is discriminatory. Definitely yes, but.. how do I put it>?

My grand aunt is an Abbess. Scary woman. Absolutely lovely person, but no patience for fools. Gentle and caring, but she's Hitler to those under her. She's reached the pinnacle of power for the sex. There's nothing higher, except for some administrative functions within the Vatican system. Not as high as a bishop but within the walls of her office, she is God. Literally. There is nothing second class about her. Love her to bits, but she scares the absolute bejesus out of me.

Look at western lifestyles. We have had equality for roughly 40 years depending on which country you consider, and even then. there's a lot of disagreement about whether equality has been reached. You choose those who change flowers as an example (who tend to be the happiest Catholics, in my experience), but there is so much more going on. And yet, at the same time, it reflects but two steps behind what is happening in society.

I wouldn't expect a female pope in my lifetime, but then we're still waiting on a female Taoiseach. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see female priests within the next twenty years, and a female Archbishop of Armagh in my lifetime. Times are a changing.

There's no enlightenment coming. Religion is intrinsic to society. Belief trump's all. People drank bleach because it was popular. Enough said!

You're conflating belief with religion. They're not necessarily the same thing. I believe that science is 4 parts fact, and 1 part belief. The amount of people who believe that theoretical science is true is staggering, even when various theories disqualify each other... but at the same time, everyone who holds science high will attack any suggestion that their belief is not based in fact.. even when it doesn't meet the basic requirements for scientific fact.

Belief and religion. are two very different things. They can be the same thing, but in reality, they're very very different.

You've literally described the definition

second-class citizen

noun

a person belonging to a social or political group whose rights and opportunities are inferior to those of the dominant group in a society.

I guess I have. Damn that bottle of wine.

Fair point. (It made better sense in my head, and I don't have the energy now to fix it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Western culture revolves around concepts that come from Ancient Greek and Roman Civilisation and several other influencing pre Christian societies - politics, democracy, concepts behind legal systems, language, writing, science, technology...

Modern European civilization is largely defined in the enlightenment, not by religious philosophy.

In reality when Europe was at its least progressive and its worst were eras of extreme Christian dogma - the dark ages, the inquisition etc

Compare pre and post revolutionary France? Dogmatic Catholic society with an absolute monarchy vs one of the first attempts at secularisation and modernity firmly embedded in enlightenment values.

Most of our modern rights and freedoms come from a very secular concept of natural law and the sense that humans have essential rights because they exist, think and are humans basically, rather than deriving those from a deity.

Christianity claims a lot of things...

If it isn't some fella in a gown in a church, it's some fella on Twitter, or national television, or a politician, or flat earthers, or bleach drinkers.

People pay themselves on the back way too hard about their individuality and their "intrinsic morals" whereas in fact most just do what they're told, no matter the source of belief.

That's the fundamental difference between my point of view and others here.

Yet look at the middle East with it's predominant religion and where they are now.

Change Christianity to Islam as the driving force in Europe through the ages and you'd have a completely different civilisation now. Religion is the centrepoint of it all, and we are where we are due to religion.

I don't think they're all that different really, not in practicality.

People believe whatever they want to believe, crossed with whatever they're told told to believe. A self-reinforcing circle.

"I like that idea, and these people are telling me I'm right. All aboard!"

Facts and science have little to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Christianity went though similarly horrendouly oppressive eras murdering heritics, burning people at stakes, various highly aggressive wars to force convert people, literal witch hunts, the Inquisition, stamping on science and sending things backwards.

What saved Europe was reason, not religious dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great bit of whataboutery there.

It's possible to hold a view that the Catholic Church's suppression of women and homosexuals AND Islam's suppression of women and homosexuals are both bad things. You don't have to pick a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yep, and they're all pompous idiots.

I do what I'm told only if it's law. Or I'm being paid within the boundaries of law.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can't say that I spend a great deal of time thinking about it.

That said, any time I see so-called Christians in the US antagonising for ever more cruelty and control it definitely kindles a bit of iconoclastic spirit in me. Your average Christian I'm fine with but on the whole I do think that once we ditch it, we'll all be better off.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Im one of those who still goes to Mass, over the years ive seen plenty of positives from the Church , id two uncles in London whod have been dead twenty years earlier only for Irish priests helping them stay someway right with housing etc. Our local parish had one or two very community based types who got a fabulous community centre built. Of course there were bad types in the church but there was a share of good stuff too which people seem quick to dismiss.

Im quite content to get away from a busy life for an hour each week in my local church , meet a few neighbours , say a few prayers till the following weekend, quite calming and i find my faith good for my own mental health if im been honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

When people and government refer to the 'church land' or school property/school land owned by the CC in Ireland, has anyone of authority ever looked into land registry folios to verify if they rightfully purchased these lands many years ago?

I imagine plenty of older people left them land in their wills (promished a free pass to heaven by the local priest no doubt). Could relatives have challanged these wills, legally ?

My grand parents generation (born around 1900), often said the local priest at that time had the local old school built on commonage land, without the joint owners permission.

Then in the 60's when a new national school was built by the dept of education 2 miles down the road, the local priest at that time sold the old school land to a business man to build a factory. No one ever saw that money. He obviously pocketed it, and in 1960 Ireland, the locals darent challange him.

Advertisement