Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The days of the truly great commentators are long gone in any sport

From Brian Moore in football to Bill McClaren in Rugby or Dan Maskall in tennis

All vanilla commentators now, could never understand Martin Tyler's longevity

Kerr remains the best pundit operating on TV and Radio. Really fired a well-timed pin into the shíte balloon being inflated about Atlético Madrid - and their underdog status - on the panel tonight.

The man really should start a podcast. His turn of phrase, knowledge of football, and easy-going nature would make for a great listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's just the accent that's against him. Non-Dub Irish men just don't like it, weirdly, non-Dublin Irish country girls just LOVE the Dublin accent.

• Advertisement

Speaking as an Irish man, a Dub married to a country girl, someone who know's a lot of country girls married to Dublin men (as you do)... much more than country men married to Dublin girls. When I was younger and dating I'd come across a lot of rural women looking to hook up with Dublin men.

They just love the accent. I know you don't and it gets up your nose that women from your area just love the Dublin accent, but it's the way it is.

So...anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for the clarification.

Experience my friend. Sure look at the amount of country girls married to Dubs?

I guarantee you. There won't be many women logging on to deny the fact either. 😉

Virgin Media have really pulled a masterstroke in making Brian Kerr their chief pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Very cranky tonight, was our Brian.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah yeah but that other dose beside him would wind up the dalai lama

All bombastic spoof wrapped up in a thin veneer of terminology with a thin skin to boot......he madeva couple of bullshit statements Kerr disagreed and then he tried to drown out Kerr with a torrent of bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

PSG were up 2 - nuttin' according to The Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭trashcan

VM’s panels are way ahead of RTE now. Something I never thought I’d be typing. Tommy Martin is far better than Daragh Moloney, Peter Collins or Joanne Cantwell. Brian Kerr is great, I don’t even mind Damien Delaney too much. Not hugely gone on Gerry Armstrong as co-commentator, but you can’t have everything. Sadler is ok on RTE, but they are a long way from the glory days of Bill and the lads, even if Dunphy was full of it a lot of the time.

That's because RTE have given up on the sports rights that people actually want to watch.

RTE have moved towards "growth" rights such as hockey, league of Ireland, womens rugby and soccer etc.

One of their champions league game coverage a few weeks ago started with a 10 minute discussion on the womens national teams match v Sweden just beforehand.

Damien Delaney is fine but he speaks too quick. Someone needs to tell him there's no need to rush.

Tommy Martin lightyears above Maloney or Cantwell. Kevin Doyle and Stephen Kelly are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who the hell is Damien Delaney?? who did he play for? what's the highest level in football did he reach?

For those that aren't allowed on the internet in work.

(from Wiki)

Damien Finbarr Delaney (born 20 July 1981) is an Irish former professional footballer who played as a defender.

Delaney began his career at Cork City. He later played for Leicester CityHull City and Queens Park Rangers before moving to Ipswich Townin 2009. He became a free agent after leaving the club in August 2012. He then signed for Crystal Palace and was a vital player in the centre of defence in their promotion season. He played for the club for six seasons and rejoined former club Cork City on 1 July 2018, after his contract expired. He departed Leeside at the end of the 2018 season and on 3 January 2019 it was announced that he had signed a one year deal with Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I enjoyed the tension between Kerr and Delaney last night, its not the first time either. Kerr scoffs at some of his opinions, its clear he thinks Delaney is pure wrong and just waffling for something to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Damien Delaney is a nobody, he’s completely clueless, it was funny watching him get get so thick when Kerr pulled him up on the rubbish he was spouting last night. Grealish doesn’t start more games for Man City because he can’t be arsed making the effort to defend, its obvious that Pep doesn’t trust him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,971 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Brian is OK, but now Kenny Cunningham I just can't stand. Talks a lot and says little.

He was on OTB last night before the game and basically said Madrid will lose because they had Nacho playing CB and he is a real weak link.

Knows nothing, and Nacho was one of the best players on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Fallout2022

I think when they got tetchy with each other it was 50/50 genuine/by design.

I think they're encouraged by producers to have these "lively" debates and contradict each other as this sort of "genuineness" ,

unfiltered real analysis was always praised in the Giles/Brady/Dunphy axis. This type of thing is lauded and favourably compared to the

supposed sanitised, pallid discussion on the BBC and elsewhere.

It can be overdone though when people start barracking each other and talking over the other pundit. Or if it comes off as preplanned entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I can take Kenny cunningham seriously since I noticed his eyebrows. They seem to have a life of their own, and pop up and down randomly, unrelated to what he is saying. It's very distracting when you latch on to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,971 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feck you!

Now I'll not see anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Beg to disagree there Dr.

The boy will decimate the viewers of football on V M,doesn’t cut the mustard there .

The only ‘good call’ they made was not making him a co-com.

I would view at the very start of the game, blot out the half time stuff, and switch off directly after the final whistle.

At least then one could avoid the lad whereas as co-com there is no escape.

Bad mistake by VM

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The great man isn't a fan of Stephen Kenny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I like Brian Kerr and Damian Delaney.

If Kerr has a fault it's that he can get tetchy if he's challenged or doesn't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Brian Kerr is great, the way he pronounces Jesus as JAYSUS ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s fairly surreal when just pronounced as we would, or should depends your perspective but I heard a commentator do it through a city match. Jesus takes to the field; no less but with all the Jesus Moses and Mohammeds entering the game these shores the Leagues must be capable of compiling an entire team now?

Biblical XI v Speical Ones. Lucky / Fortune / Divine / Brilliant / Precious .. all the lads

Da Ukrayin bea' us one nuttin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

As least Kerr didn’t drop the F**k bomb like the “man of the match” did.

Advertisement