Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Put a deposit on a BMW R18 Classic today, second hand but only has 850kms on it, and has a nice pipe already.

Time to sell the Harley now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

wasn't up in Joe Duffy by anychance? I was in there getting a part for the R100rs on Tuesday and say the two they have there

Depening on the fairing material you might be able to melt it together. But Plastics tend to only want to stick to the same composition when melting.

I would definitely do something to reinforce where you are gluing or it could just come off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Can anybody give me any guidance on power commanders? My bike has an aftermarket exhaust and filter, to get the most from them and smooth out power delivery is my main aim with a PC.

Anything I should be looking out for etc?

What bike is it again?

I've seen lads on the DR650 forums asking the same thing, but quickly getting told it was a jetting kit they needed.

Dynojet do a few different ones, but for the price of them it could nearly be worth getting the bike properly tuned

https://mototuning.ie/

• Advertisement

I live over in Canada, Vancouver to be exact.

The salesman told me as well about their supply issues, sounds really terrifying for a lot of dealerships here.

definitely not the two I saw then haha. Theres some difference in the engine physical size compared to the airheads.

This new airhead is a monster, granted it is smaller in capacity than my HD, physically is dwarfs it.

What are they like to drive? I did notice they come with an optional reverse gear they're that heavy.

I havn't driven anything above 800cc yet, but hoping to get a chance to take Dad's R1200gs for a spin soon.

I can't see him ever getting a R18 though, he's looking at a R100gs as his next bike. One of his friends is after one, and a close friend of his has two airheads, I got his airhead last summer and now he wants one too since he'll be the only one without one xD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Varik

See a lad on the first edition R18 on Tralee-Limerick road, you can see them coming a mile away.

Revzilla did a video on whether HD made a better adventure bike or did BMW make a better cruiser, not really meant to be a serious in depth reviews as it's more a bit of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...fitted 2 new shocks and 2 new silencers to my H-D. Got 15 years and about 50k out of the originals, so can't complain really. I only changed the exhausts because the old ones were getting scabby and I got a set of brand now OEM ones for....... £50. Nobody want's standard ones, so that's a Win for me. The H-D shops are full of OE pipes that end up in the skip eventually.

Shocks are Hagon, and suit the bike, and we great value, and made & shipped to me in 3 days to a slightly custom spec. The best buying experience online I've ever had tbh.

After my near-trauma with my GoldWing a while ago, you appreciate the sheer simplicity of an old school, twin-shock, simple bike to work on. Both shocks & pipes done in....30 minutes with very few tools needed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

CBR 954.

I am under the impression these could be used to map the bike. The stock ecu isn't writable. It's been a while since I did any ecu tuning myself but I'll get my touch back I'm sure 🤣

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Lots of torque and character, it is very smooth and just trundles along. The reverse is a bit gimmicky to me but I could see a use for it, I just see it as something that could break TBH.

I think if your not use to moving a heavy bike around it's definitely useful.

I'm just glad its an independant lever you need your hand to activate. Can't imagine a reverse gear on the pedal lever being a great idea.

I'd probally have skipped it as an option too, even though on my own bike I've been in situations where I wish I had a reverse gear, but that was off road mostly where I wouldn't have had an R18 anyway!

Agreed, for some spots is a pain to move a heavy bike, I had a GSA1200 and moving that was like moving a barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bit boring, but fitted latches to the panniers. I was sick n tired of them opening while driving

My shed is a mess. But I have the 600f in there now and changed the airfilter, on seeing the state of it I pulled a plug, need to order a set if them too.

Kinda gutted I dropped this bike. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

There was a K&N sticker on the airbox bit it was a standard filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I’ve got to fix fairings after my crash this week. I’m going to use ABS glue and ABS slurry to fix them. How bad are yours is there much missing ?

• Advertisement

I think they are ABS, usually it’s cast into the inside of the panels

ah ok! you should be fine. I think ABS glue partially melts it together. So thats pretty strong

I make a slurry of ABS plastic shavings dissolved into acetone and it turns into a thick goop after a while, this is excellent as a repair adhesive/filler once you grind a V in the weld area first.

you can also use sheet abs to reinforce the breaks inside

• Registered Users Posts: 34,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can get scrap random fairing pieces from a breaker cheaply and use them as material for repairs.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Reverse: don't knock it 'til you've tried it !!

I always thought that reverse was a pure gimmick on the various bikes it's been available on, over the years. And I've seen several Harley's retro-fitted with it even here.

Then I got a bike that has it. I take it all back. It's fantastic. Slighlty uphill, up a little step into the garage ? - No problem: just reverse her in.

Ode To The Motorist

Not sure if the model I am getting has it, or if it can be fitted for a reasonable price, but I will check it out :)

I didn't do anything to my bike today, but this feels like the right thread to ask in, nonetheless..

I picked up a 2009 Yamaha TDM900. All is grand so far. The bike has Oxford heated grips on it. It also has a phone mount with a built-in phone charger. It also has some 'factory looking' spotlights (which have a cheap "Wish" style control pad, which has a red or green light on all the time).

I bought a sat nav for it that'll be getting hard wired this week. I also bought front/rear facing cameras that'll be getting hard-wired at the same time.

... Is there a point where I should be perhaps getting concerned about the battery telling me to feck off? With the phone charger, heated grips and spotlights, the bike starts just fine. Never an issue (albeit it's not been laid up for longer than 3-4 days at a time so far). Am I walking into a situation where I'm expecting perhaps a tad too much from it?

Deleted the exhaust servo from the 954, it was redundant anyway with full aftermarket system but was still throwing an fi light. So fitted the healtech eliminator. Stupid thing came in a box big enough to fit the bike into 🙄

• Advertisement

I took the servo apart with a view to repairing it just in case I ever decide to return it to stock. The little plastic cogs are just mushed up. I'm sure I'll find them somewhere, probably cost a euro or two to fix.

Advertisement