Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Lovely bit of work :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

Power washed the 650gs Twin today! and by power washed, I got caught out on a grocery run in the heavy rain !! Bike looks nice and clean now though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Be easy to get at the plugs on a Guzzi 😁

I picked up a new, in box Michelin TPMS cheap on adverts.

No buttons, no controls, no wiring. Charge up the display unit on the inductive USB charger then pop it into the holder on the bike. The holder on the bike is magnetic (attaches firmly to the tank if you want) and also comes with a pretty strong 3M adhesive sticker. Replace the tyre valve caps with the ones from the kit, ride off and it all pairs up soon enough. The display then alternates between front and rear pressure every few seconds.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I've TPMS on my bike as well, great for just keeping an eye on it. If i've low tyre pressure the bike gives me an automatic warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not a bad day on the spanners: fitted new 'dynamic' indicators to the young lads bike. Now it thinks its an Audi, lol,

Fitted engine bars and a radiator card and bar risers to the SOs NC750s.

Had bar risers ready to fit to my Wing, but she declared it sunny and so we dropped everything and hit the road to Lahinch. Lots of bikes out, so chatted to a few.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bit of a wash and refreshed the rear brake fluid, waiting for new screws for the front master cylinder and fork seals, will do all that together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Speaking of fork seals.

Went to Cork today on my zzr and when I got home there was oil pissing out of both forks.

The joys of being laid up for a while 🙄

New genuine ones ordered.

Bummer

Changed out the oil and dust seals on mine for genuine Kawasaki ones a few weeks back even though they were not leaking yet they just looked crusty

Christ on a bike :-) had a pain in my neck

Now they are off the wall :-)

J

• Advertisement

Made a wheel barrow today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Sorry about the blank post above. I cant seem to find out how to edit it.

Below are some pictures of a petrol cap and filler neck I have made for my Honda CB550 cafe racer project. The tank on the Honda is rusted beyond my skills to repair it so I have gotten a Royal Enfield Interceptor tank as a replacement. The tank normally uses a Monza style fuel cap but I am not a fan of it so I have made a replacement.

The ring piece will be welded to the tank, the filler neck then bolts to this and Viton O-ring seals them.

The cap itself is aluminium and has a nitrile o-ring which engages on the last thread or two on the fuel cap.

The filler neck is made from two separate pieces. The threaded section and the flat plate are press fit together. I have fitted them so when the fuel cap is fully screwed down the cap is aligned along the centre line of the bike.

Below are some pictures the cap being made.

I am well jealous of your skills with a lathe!! I'd love to be able to use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Wow amazing work there in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How do you knurl the edge? fantastic, it looks great!

I have a cheap ebay knurling tool. It has two rollers with grooves on them at 45 degrees. The rollers pinch the work piece and form the pattern as the part rotates. It works great on aluminum, on steel you cant apply enough pressure to fully form the diamonds and you kind of just get a cross hatched pattern.

Haha, as I have been at this bike project for ages now and there is no end in sight I don't think anyone is going to have the patience to wait for me to make some parts for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Added Shad Top Box Brackets, I already had Givi top box and plate which worked fine. Also, you can see it here but I put an Admore Light under the Top Box, has a accelerometer on it (lights when engine brake). Easy fit, even for me...😳....just take about 4 times longer than anyone else.

I know it'd look better without the box (obv can take off the top box in 2 seconds) & the plate wouldn't stand out, but I don't think it looks desperate either. Will road test it, see if much crosswind difference (had it on a bigger bike and no issues, but that's a 125 so.... Handy to lock up a helmet, carry a gear bag etc (not a fan of backpacks if can help it). I had one of those Bagtec things over pillion seat, not v reliable to stay put & wouldn't fit much either. Am waiting on some cheapo crash bungs (small, barely notice I'd say) and I think that's it for this lady.

Haha, i've a friend restoring a series 3 in the same lock up as I'm in, don't think he'd mind the wait for something like that to replace his old fuel cap.

When I get my own permament shed a lathe is one of the first things I'm buying.

Also have the Shad top box on mine I think its 40L

The bracket does tend to block visibility of the brake light from anything up high like a van or truck

I picked up a 8" light bar from eBay ages ago just haven't got to fitting it yet

Where did you get the admore light ? is it any good

ta

I got it from their website, really quick, excellent product (super bright & initial modulation).....but..yikes...really expensive. On top of the price below there was postage from Canada & 23% import VAT.

Anyway, I've burned the receipt and I don't want it ever mentioned again......😳😂. There's surely cheaper ways, or if it was being sold at a show or something you might do a lot better, but as a product I couldn't fault it.

Ouch that is expensive :-)

But it looks like a great bit of kit

Will have to get round to connecting my bar only has 3 wires earth low power ( side lights ) and full on just need to pick up some kind of a plastic sleeve to run the wires through and mount it on the end of the top box bracket

I got to connect it without drilling anywhere which was handy, and they have these pinch connectors for joining to the bike wires, so that was really simple and worked well.

I turned off the tail light function, and didn't bother connecting the indicators. The lack of contrast between tail light and brake light was the main thing I was trying to overcome, so didn't want to recreate the problem with the bar. So now it's dormant until it screams HE'S BRAKING, which is all I wanted. Of a dark or dull day I can always dab the brake if I think the tail light is a bit buried under the bracket and topbox.

If you're not sure of the wires on your bike let me know, Admore have a search function - not sure if you can find it direct on the website but there's a QR code with installation instructions that brings you to page that'll tell you what coloured wires Suzuki (or whoever) use for different functions.

They look great really bright :-)

Hopefully it will stop some fool running up your rear end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Getting ready to do these.

Need a loan of a special tool so hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

Seals arrived

• Advertisement

What oil & wt are you putting in ? just out of curiosity

Advertisement