Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The last 2 years of lockdowns and restrictions simply was pointless

from the start we were all nervous as the media reports on China and then Italy were scary stuff .

but By end of April I knew this virus was nothing but a bad flu. I said it to anyone who would listen and I wrote to the government and I told them that if we just went about our business with no restrictions or lockdowns the max that would die is 10,000 total and the vast majority of these would be very sick elderly people who would be dead within a couple of years anyway

I warned of increased suicides, mental health issues for thousands of children , massive queues for health treatment, social unrest as thousands of people when unlocked would be very angry on a society that locked them up for 2 years, labelled them non essential, they were told we are all in this together and now as we exit this madness they know that was lies.

the line at the end of the move joker - you get what you fcuking deserve - I have always use that term because I believe it to be true

I fear for the future of our country, there is a genuine sense of hopelessness in people aged in their 20s and 30s

poorly paid jobs, massive rents, no chance of owning a home, than why bother. The level of coke use in Ireland and the levels of serious crime are the real epidemics and no one in the government is doing anything to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Similar to the "plan b" England had last Christmas there we might have them mandated similarly in the future. Not sure how much use they'll be but political optics will play a role before scientific evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

He is attempting to reinforce the idea that human nature has no legitimacy.

There are no persons - there are just units, components of quantitative summaries or statistics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes, which was the problem all along with many of the ideas that academics came out with.

Lovely concepts if we all lived in a lab as subjects in a science experiment whose movements could be controlled.Mostly not applicable in real life and took zero account of that little problem called human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

I can't agree - maybe in a closed society like north korea but as soon as our boarders open up the virus comes back it .

In Ireland loves it boarders to be wide open - in the time it assumed (even by me) it was a killer plague we were importing Bulgarian fruit pickers.

let it rip was the only appropriate response.

We will have many examples of illness , stunted development and or other such issues come to the fore in the future based on the futile adventures in lockdown..

sadly. of course

• Advertisement

If you only open borders to other Zero-Covid nations, and every nation chases zero-covid, bye bye goes the virus... Of course such a feat is impossible but in theory it would work

I have to admit, I think the blonde idiot in downing street got it right last August, although I didn't think so at the time. Lockdown (to give the health service a chance)-vaccinate-re-open

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

WHO reckons there have been 15 million excess deaths due to Covid. They've somehow managed to include deaths due to undiagnosed cancers, etc. due to lockdowns and restrictions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

you couldn't make that up !

yet donnelly signs us up to their pandemic future plans. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This.

At least half the drop in numbers between late October and early December 2020 was down to the additional level 3 restrictions they'd already introduced. The NPHET minutes from the last meeting before L5 was introduced show that some members wanted to wait an extra week to see the effects.

That would have gotten the numbers down a lot, and kept a short L5 as an option to drive them down further.

But Tony was insistent on jumping the gun and going to L5 immediately, and by the time the L3+ effects were levelling off, L5 had started to lose it's impact because people were sick of it and compliance was slipping.

No chance of any of them admitting they got it horribly wrong, just a "communication issue"

In that case will the deaths from Sweden versus others be recalculated with lockdown deaths counted as pandemic deaths to see who the real "success story" was in the league table of nations.

One hospital in Dublin alone, the Mater, reported a 40% increase in liver-related deaths. I'm confident there was no big increase in people drinking themselves to death in Sweden because why would there be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Sweden did well . Reasons given are that obesity levels are low there and they have a very good , well funded health service .

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/swedens-death-rate-among-lowest-europe-despite-avoiding-strict/

Norway and Iceland did much better though overall .

I saw an article in IT the other day about Ireland's still-raging 'obesity epidemic'.

So Irish people still aren't bothered living healthy lives even after spending the guts of two years in lockdown to dodge the consequences of unhealthy living.

Yes saw that.

Especially increased post Covid.

I suppose not everybody has the time or wherewithall to take off for a run or go to the gym with family and work commtments all converging in a home environment

Mainly women affected in this regard although 11% higher overweight in men pre Covid , and similar obesity levels and outlined the reasons why...( Don't think it mentioned "not bothering" though?)

Maybe link to the article so people can read what was said and not just your own particuar viewpoint..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/obesity-has-reached-epidemic-proportions-in-ireland-who-says-1.4868485

Interesting that you took that point up but not the highly funded Swedish health service?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

We all know the score there. We're highly funded but the money disappears into a black hole, welcome to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Does anyone know when the (legal?) requirement to self isolate will end like it has in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The legality of all remaining COVID-19 measures ended on March 3rd and the legislation underpinning them expired at midnight on the night of March 31st.

The requirement for what remains, namely self-isolation requirements and masks in healthcare settings are advisory, not legal. The fact that they remain advisory effectively means most employers will give you time off to isolate and all welfare supports to allow you to do so (PUP for example) remain in place

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and you were proven wrong on it all, bar the issues that existed before covid and which restrictions or not would have made no difference.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

nothing compared to what we would have had with the failed and bombed hard let it rip response.

vaccines and omicron made allowing it to run through possible but before hand it was never going to happen as it would have crashed the country as a whole for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just aswell Omicron and vaccines came along because lockdown would certainly have crashed the country if it went on any longer.

not really funnily enough.

the industries and sectors that keep the show on the road kept going more or less without issue.

don't get me wrong i am glad we are out of the lock downs but if they were still needed we would have been fine.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Er no. If lockdowns were still needed and were permanent we certainly would not be fine on all levels of issues it would cause longterm and not just to the economy. To say we would be fine is delusional.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

I see from your signature at the end of your post ( which is getting longer every time I see it :))that you love music festivals and gigs .

Were these ones you were at and that you hope to go to?

This is one business that would /did not survive lockdowns and I never want to be stopped from going to a concert again .

Exactly! I've been to the first three of the '22 ones and the rest are yet to happen. At the last gig I was at, I was chatting to a fella I knew from years ago who was working behind the bar. He used to have a job doing sound in various venues around Belfast but all that stopped with the lockdowns and it's struggling to pick up again. He was telling me that The Odyssey venue in Belfast no longer has a rigging team for lights and sound as they all left the business and are doing other things. It's crazy to think that longer term lockdowns could have been sustained without completely crashing the economy.

It appears that that part of the economy certainly was crashed , others less affected . Any further wide ranging restrictions should hopefully not be needed in Ireland again with our vaccination and immunity levels . ( I caveat that with the note that noone can see the future but it's an educated guess ?)

I have a number of concerts this year 3 of which we bought tickets for in 2020.

Don't know how that works for the musicians and those in entertainment .

Have they got the money already and if so how can they now afford to tour ?

Friend and oh in the business who are now only starting to get back to some normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A gig I was planning on heading too next week was postponed today due to covid so its definitely not over in that Industry (as well as many others)

Nice to see it back up and running. Those Ed Sheeran gigs were everywhere in the media and looked very much 'pre covid life'

0h wow I didn't think if they were put off for another year !

Yes it is lovely , prefer a good live gig than anything else but it was very harsh on the whole entertainment industry more so than any other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,934 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah it was so harsh and a little bit insulting. That festival last summer where they looked like 'pigs in a pen' was some farce

Tbh the 3Arena and other indoor gigs at the time were grand and involved mostly 'mask wearing at all times, limited numbers in the foyer area and no standing allowed'. The mess of the 8pm close was really unnecessary and ruled out a lot of events

Advertisement