Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

6.5% or 10% - the principles are the same

Do you believe that teachers should get more than others in the public and private sectors? Do you think that would be a reasonable outcome here?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

Wow let's keep things civil shall we? I must have touched a nerve, when you are losing an argument, deflect and attack the poster - your reading comprehension is quite poor nowhere did I say that I'm ignoring the benefit of my pension, I said it is a deferred benefit just like your pension is the only difference is mine is compulsory I have no choice but to pay it. I will see no benefit for 30 years. I'm happy to pay but it's not as I've repeatedly said the pension it was since the 2013 changes. The figures I quoted are accurate.

I am blissfully aware of the benefits I have in my job and the pension and holidays are part of those benefits. But i wouldnt last a year in my job if i was in it solely for the holidays and the pension. Private sector jobs also have benefits like healthcare cover worth thousands and bonus payments. Im not complaing on the internet about other peoples jobs. I was fully aware of my job conditions when I applied for my job. In fact its public knowledge anyone can apply. As a matter of interest what do you work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

In fairness there is no way we will get an increase of 6.5% if we get anything at most we will get half that I'd imagine, other public sector unions will advocate for them I'm sure, I see nothing wrong with a union trying to mitigate huge inflation costs for its members as I said earlier the self employed and many private businesses have received pay increases already. The only thing a 3 or 4% increase is going to do is pay for the increased cost of living its not a profit or raise for anyone. Do you think that the 240 billion debt this country has is because of public sector workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do we need to have those emotive discussions about every aspect of public sector expenditure, every PUP scheme, every Covid expense, every welfare payment, every grant to businesses, and more? Or just about teachers' salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Just teachers salaries it seems. Due to the antics, lies and misinformation from their propaganda wings, the profession is not at all well regarded by a lot of people. This is evident reading forums, reddit and twitter as well as the increasing abuse from parents.

Is it all deserved? Well, there's no smoke without fire.

Any group that hurls abuse at ministers deserves to fall down in societal opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Do teachers still receive payslips in the post? What an anachronism.

Imagine the wasted money in doing that 😂

65,000 teachers x €1.25 every two weeks

Gee, if only somebody had thought of that already? What would the public service do without the great ideas of Boards posters to keep going?

When you're left working with 15 or 20 year old payroll software, it's a bit tricky to keep up with developments like this.

You're not a spokesperson for 'a lot of people'.

The disaffected boardsies are not exactly mainstream political opinion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are teachers worth a higher payrise than others in the public or private sectors?

It's not just disaffected boardsies, it's a significant part of the population that despise the profession in recent years, why do you think that is? And it's not the holidays or the good salaries, teachers had those for decades.

Forums, twitter, radio presenters, parents and journalists regularly voice criticism at teachers. Ask yourself why that is.

The carry on during Covid was a new low where even teachers themselves distanced themselves from the unions. I wonder when the threatened strike to get priority in the vacinne queue is due to take place 😂?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Its not about whether teachers are worth more or less than others that's a legacy issue from 30 years back when people had respect for different professions in the community, teachers are not held in any regard today as is evidenced by this thread, its about adjusting for a very significant increase in the cost of living.

Why do you think people have less respect for teachers now-a-days?

It's the constant whining of the unions especially during Covid that hastened the downfall in the levels of respect - whinging for vaccines ahead of others, whinging about hepa filters, leaving windows open in class and wearing coats and scarves themselves yet insisting kids had no such luxuries to keep warm... could stay going here...

It's the smart arsey taking of days off to make a bumper 4-day weekend a super bumper 5-day weekend at the drop of a hat.

Looking for payrises beyond agreed increments (which are not performance based) without committing to improving their services.

Everyone is hurting from inflation right now, what teachers and any other public sectors are doing in seeking a payrise is effectively seeking higher taxes on everybody else to make up these increases.

So, what taxes - or cuts to other services - do teachers want to see to achieve their 6.5% (or even half that) in payrises. Lay it on the table please.

Radio presenters and journalists know how clickbait works.

You don't speak for anyone other than yourself.

Err, thanks for agreeing with me I guess! If they use it as clickbait, then it's obviously quite a popular opinion then than drives readership/listenership. That's the point I'm making.

You're right, I speak for myself. And I am making the observation about how unpopular the teaching profession is.

Oh OK, so the various threads that I see on Boards criticizing teachers, the newspaper articales I see and so on, are all my opinion? Funny, I thought what I was seeing was much more tangible!

Great insight there champ!

You're not still thinking that boards.ie is representative of the real world, surely?

You obviously didn't pay attention in statistics class.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

@AndrewJRenko you seem to have a lot to say except when you are asked a question which doesn’t suit your narrative.

Any response to @Beasty question above? I’ll remind you: Are teachers worth a higher payrise than others in the public or private sectors?

Are teachers looking for a higher payrise than others in the public or private sectors?

@AndrewJRenko do you have any answer to the question posed? I’m not sure why you are avoiding answering (seen as you seem to be all knowing).

Are teachers worth a higher payrise than others in the public or private sectors?

It seems like a clickbait question, one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' questions where the answerer is screwed regardless of what answer they give.

Unless teachers are out there arguing to get higher raises than others, then it is a makey-uppey question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You of all posters should not be talking about avoiding answers. You're the queen of it. Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

They are waiting until their EUR 1,000 ‘Covid Bonus’ has been paid . 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you want to use an analogy, at least make it relevant.

Could there be a more pertinent question than if you believe teachers deserve a higher pay rise than others, after all, that is what they are asking for, and that is what this discussion is about.

The discussion is about a threat to strike that never happened.

Where specifically did they look for a 'higher pay rise than others'?

Don’t be obtuse Andrew, this is about teachers wanting a huge pay rise and refusing to rule out striking if they don’t get it.

Do you think they deserve a higher pay rise than other PS’s/private sector workers?

So no threat then, good to know that we've cleared up that exaggeration in the thread.

But again, the question I was asked was specifically about teachers wanting a higher pay rise than others. So it is not unreasonable for me to ask - where did teachers look for a higher pay rise than others, or can we agree that it is just another of the many exaggerations on this thread?

We are just looking for your own opinion @AndrewJRenko … what do you think? No need to complicate the question … it’s a simple yes/no … what is your own opinion? I assume you do have one??

I'm not going to answer a question about a falsehood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think we can implicitly take that you think teachers deserve a higher pay rise (your refusal to say it speaks volumes that you clearly don't want to say directly).

So then the question becomes, why should the teachers be treated differently to the rest of the public service?

A further question might be why they threaten to strike on a regular basis vs. other professions and then regularly not strike even when no demands (e.g. they didn't get to skip the vaccination queue) were met, what is it about the profession that has them, effectively, crying wolf so often.

I would posit that their frequent demand to be treated differently has put them on ignore with the public and that their frequent strike threats are no longer taken seriously by anyone which has, again effectively, rendered the teachers unions impotent in negotiations and in fact a government can get an easy win by ignoring their demands into the future, even if they actually do strike.

Advertisement