Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JK Rowling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Listen, to depersonalise this a bit, I think the has to be acknowledged that JK Rowling absolutely is transphobic. By definition. She does not think transwomen are women. She thinks they are worthy of respect, wants to help them doesn't think she is actively hurting them, but she does not think they are women. That by definition is transphobic.

Now she has her reasons for this transphobia, that she and others might feel are valid, and we can debate how reasonable they actually are. But anyone who is trying to say that she is not transphobic while she denys transwomen are women is just being intellectually dishonest.

To argue, like some poster here do, that one is not a transphobe because really they don't believe in transgenderism is just bunk.

That said, none of that talks to her supposed homophobia, which still no one seems to be able to corroborate, apart from guilt by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JoePirate

We don't have to believe that men have recently developed the mystical super-power to transform themselves into women.

We don't have to believe that Jesus walked on water just because the Pope (he/him) says so, or that our bodies have thetan souls (of unknown gender) inside them just because Scientologists say so.

You're free to believe anything you like, but we're also free to think your belief is naive nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Sure that's my point. You don't believe that. Bad you might have valid reasons not to believe that - fair enough. But you can't both not believe transwomen are women and not be transphobic. It's not logically possible.

So yes both you and JK Rowling are transphobic but feel you have good logical reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The point though missed by many and denied by many is she is actively hurting them. She is regularly siding with people who use violently hateful language against them. She is encouraging her supporters to do so too.

Edit; This is personal by the way. Plus Bannasidhe has just given some examples of gender critical ideology is now displaying homophobia by attacking butch lesbians.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JoePirate

"you can't both not believe transwomen are women and not be transphobic. It's not logically possible."

You've just made that up in your head. It's not true.

Believing that human biology is still real is not transphobic, unless you decide to define transphobic with your own new definition, again all in your own head.

Christians think non-believers' souls are damned to hell, which I think is nonsense. Trans ideology folk claim non-believers are "transphobes" because we don't see any evidence of gender souls.

Blaire White IS a transwoman and doesn't believe any of this nonsense, nor do many transwomen - are they transphobes?

• Advertisement

Yes

Blaire White is a transphobe

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What is a transphobe?

Can you please define transphobe and define woman?

Because as per conversation here, Blair White know more about not being a transphobe than a cis person would so her opinion holds more weight.

Why, as a transgender person, should her definition of not being transphobic, not hold more weight than your accusation of her being transphobic?

Anyway, I'm still waiting to see how any of these questions can lead anyone to be accused of homophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

I am a lesbian and would be considered by most people as "butch" as I don't conform to how many women dress/look/move in the world.

I support JK Rowling 100%. There is nothing she, or anyone I have seen her personally interact with, that is transphobic. She is concerned about the rights of women to be able to freely speak about matters that affect women and girls. I don't see any evidence of her trying to prevent trans people speaking and organising for themselves.

I do find it deeply homophobic when I am told by trans rights activists that I am a "genital fetishist" and transphobic for being exclusively same sex attracted. By exclusive I mean an adult human female who does not have a penis. That is not transphobic and it should not be controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Just because you are LGBT it doesn't mean that all LGBT people have to agree with you. JK Rowlan speaks sense to a lot of LGBT people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

JK Rowlan does not consider biological men equal to women, that's not hate. A lot of LGBT people would agree with her

• Advertisement

Yeah. There are a lot of homophobic and transphobic LGBT people. We know this already. Its not a gotcha moment.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

How do you define a homophobic LGBT person?

How do you define a transphobic LGBT person?

Also, always wanted an explanation as to why do so few, if any, self identified trans women, who also self identify as lesbians, ever want a sexual relationship with another trans woman? Why are they only interested in sexual relationships with non trans women? It's almost like there is some difference between them. I'd love to know what that might be. Any idea?

Men includes cisgender men and transgender men

The discussion was transphobic referring to trans women as biological men

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

See if you can work out where the real dangers to women comes from?

Here’s a hint; read the cases of rape, sexual assault and violence in the papers every day.

The source of violence against women is men.

The thread has literally just proved my point 😑

Terry Pratchet

Sure did.

You think jk Rowling is a homophobe.

Most people dont

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I definitely don't hate transpeople. I don't even even remotely dislike transpeople.

Almost all of your posts come across the opposite of this.

Terry Pratchet

So, basically, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is transphobic?

• Advertisement

Of course they do. To you.

If anyone says anything that diverges slightly from your opinion, you have a tendency to boil it down to some sort of phobia or ism.

I have no issue with people who are trans. I just do not accept the notion that a transman is a man or a transwoman is a woman.

I dont think its just me though. I'm not the only who engages with you on this site re trans people at all. Can you see why your posts might come across that way?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

it is quite strange how much people care what JK Rowling thinks. People who will almost certainly never meet her or have anything to do with her.

The issue isnt merely about what JK Rowling thinks. The UK in general over the last 10 years has moved towards treating trans people really badly in mainstream media, politics and social media. A lot of that has spilled over here. The TENI CEO had to leave the country because of regular harassment and death threats.

The results of that toxic culture are endangering trans and lgb peoples lives. Reported Hate crime incidents against trans people in recent in the UK has gone up over 300% yet surveys have revealed 88% of trans people dont record hate crime incidents.

Terry Pratchet

So yeah I might come as extremely angry. I am angry that all of this toxic culture literally means that there is a big increase in trans people getting attacked and beaten up regularly because they are trans. Im angry that trans people are so marginalised that nearly 90 percent of trans people experiencing hate crime feel they cant report it. Im angry that trans people are treated like absolute dirt and scum in the UK regularly and this is now spreading to Ireland. All of what JK Rowling says and does adds to that disgusting toxic culture of hate and violence against trans people.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

My trans friends in UK and Ireland are genuinely fearful for their lives right now. Is that ok?

Terry Pratchet

My issue is the bastardisation of the word man and woman to such an extent when it can mean both simultaneously. For example, some people would say it's possible to be a man, yet be biologically female. Yet man means an adult human male.

Man and woman aren't a gender. They are intrinsically linked to male and female which are specific biological sexes.

I also believe that in places and activities segregated by sex, people shouldn't be permitted to use their "gender" to access them.

Not anywhere in that viewpoint have I said anything that could even remotely be classed as hatred or dislike towards anyone.

Yet you, and others like you, deem it appropriate to label me as some sort of transphobe.

What are they fearful of exactly? I see no evidence of trans people being assaulted or murdered in Ireland - which is a great thing. There does seem to be mass hysteria about 'hate crimes' which mainly seem to consist of people looking funny at males identifying as females or maybe saying something nasty, which should not be done.

There are more stats for the UK - between 2008 and 2021 a total of 11 trans deaths recorded. One of these was a suicide whilst in prison, another was later recorded as non-suspicious but still included. 3 of the remaining 9 were murdered whilst working as prostitutes by men. Another was killed by their husband who lived on the earnings of their partners prostitution. Another was killed by another trans person. 2 were drugs related. All murders are disgusting but these trans people were not randomly selected in everyday life because they were trans.

In the same period 1800 women were murdered.

Pretending that there is an epidemic of trans murders and hate crimes is not helpful for anyone. It is a performative bandwagon that makes a mockery of actual crime against a tiny number of trans people. The real issue is the number of women and girls who are murdered and raped every day/year because they are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

What JK Rowling thinks or writes on Twitter isn't an issue at all in my opinion. Trans people do face genuine issues, but JK Rowling's opinions are not one of them, yet they are discussed endlessly. It's farcical, but reflects something in modern culture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No.

Anyone who believes people do not have the right to identify as their preferred gender and are always and forever to be defined by their biological sex is a transphobe.

Hope that clears it up for you.

In case it need clarification - anyone who believes homosexuals are not deserving of absolutely equal rights with heterosexuals, that homosexuality is unnatural/disgusting, and/or that gay people should not be allowed to adopt is homophobic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement