Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JK Rowling

• 22-04-2022 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭

JK Rowlings slow demise into supporting bitter spiteful transphobia and homophobia is really an example for all. I used to fundamentally disagree with her but deep down thought she had some morals. Her continuous siding with people who only spew out vicious bile and hatred against trans people AND lgb people shows deep down that opposition to trans rights is more than that at face value and she has no morals. Whatsoever.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd be quite confident in guessing correctly that the reason Dennis Noel Kavanage was 'unbanned' from Twitter is because he is gay. Therefore neither he nor JK can be accused of being homophobic based on what was tweeted by Comeford. I do understand the desperate desire of some to claim JK is though in an attempt to further defame her character but this attempt by Comeford was a big fat fail. Guilt by association is not a bad tactic but the problem here is - there was no association in the first place. How funny. Well not really because some people will believe it.

Comerford is what some would call a 'Cic-Het' ally. Ally's are the worst on this topic because they are usually just Antifa types going after people they can accuse of be some -ism or phobe, as seen on his twitter page. He says in his bio he's not an activists yet all his tweets are majority trans related. Odd.

What qualifies Comerford to say that the above article published in Newsweek is 'arrant nonsense'. How the hell would he know if it's arrant nonsense or not. He hasn't got a clue whether it is or isn't, he's just belligerently responding in the hope some sucker will take his word for it. Which prolly explains why he spends a lot of time on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are defending disgusting hate comments saying the AIDS pandemic is better than trans people existing. Shameful. Absolutely shameful. And saying that a comment like that cant be considered homophobic because it came from a gay man is frankly laughable and absurd.

JK Rowling is now very clearly on the side of homophobia and hate fuelled bigotry.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Strange thread. Why can’t people stop bullying Ms. Rowling.

This thread is not bullying JK Rowling. It is highlighting her continuous deep hatred of trans people is getting worse and now targeting lgb people and siding with extremist anti LGBT bigots.

Terry Pratchet

This thread is not bullying JK Rowling. 

Yes it is. We already know your type say JK is a transpose, but you started the thread because you thought you had evidence that's she's homophobic as well. You have no evidence of any such thing as I have exposed and you're now looking rather foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭apache

Ridiculous

Yes I do say that clearly. JK Rowling is a transphobe and homophobe. That is not bullying. Its the truth.

Terry Pratchet

I know right. The death of thousands and thousands from AIDS is supposedly better than trans people existing.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Threads like this make me glad twitter exists - as much as I hate it, it keeps all the lunatics in one place and is easy to ignore.

Id suggest you do the same, OP. Reading all this nonsense does nobodies brain any good.

Remove twitter from your life, all that goes with it and the world is a much nicer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

You need to go and read it again.

He said he prefers aids attacking his community to the (what he perceives as) trans activists attacking his community because he knows how to fight aids.

It's a clumsy horrible analogy but the strawman you have constructed is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"Your type"?

What "type" is that exactly?

The "type" who notes Mz Rawling's attendance at luncheons with out and proud GCs?

The "type" who questions the motivations behind liking such appalling comments as the one about AIDS victims?

Mz Rawling may not be a transpose but she most certainly is a transphobe, she is also notable for naming her 'ethnic' characters in a frankly off way, presenting her females characters as secondary to the males (strange thing for a self- proclaimed feminism to do...), and threatening to sue people for doxxing her when her home is on the bloody tourist map of Edinburgh.

We won't even go into her "I was poverty stricken" trope.

Or her I'm so supportive of homosexuals I forgot to mention Dumbledore was one until I had made my millions stunt.

No one here is bullying Mz Rawlings - it's a pity we can't say the same about Mz Rawlings.

Lol. Its like Pantigate all over in this thread again when homophobic Iona couldnt be called homophobic. 😅

Terry Pratchet

With Respect. I know whats there. I dont need things explained or to be told why Im supposedly wrong. Thanks anyway.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

She's been spending years pushing this stuff. Now she's outright hung out with the transphobes. She's destroyed herself over there's the years and disrespected both transgender people and autistic people with her rhetoric. Somewhat telling that she was excluded from anything promotional as of late.

What has this response got to to do with the question I asked?

Ah it's just in reference to the fact you implied that people are somehow bullying Rowling rather than calling out her **** views. She gained prestige from Harry Potter, the fact she uses it to go after minorites deserves to be called out.

^ Funny how you are okay to ‘go after’ her because she expresses a view you disagree with.

Can someone explain the Mz?

Its not just a "view disagreed with" at this stage. Funny how you're only worried about JK supposedly being bullied but dont seem to care about all the bullying of LGBT people caused by her

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Interesting - there are other interpretations to what has happened with J.K Rowling you know.

For instance it could be seen as an example of how someone with morals but some disagreeable opinions can get radicalised and pushed towards extreme opinions by violently over-blown reactions to her comparatively reasonable positions.

Of course some of these other interpretations would mean acknowledging nuance, and that violently emotional responses are counter-productive.

Are you only looking for responses that agree with you and join the ‘pile on’?

Why did you start this thread? Just to stir ****?

Lol at "violently over blown" and "violently emotional".

Sounds familiar. Sounds very very familiar.

Yeah no I've seen all that before

Interesting that JKRs extremism is acknowledged though

Terry Pratchet

Its in the LGBT forum. This is about lgbt issues. I am discussing JKRs continuous hate speech against lgbt people.

Terry Pratchet

Did you get paid as an Iona propagandist by any chance? 😆

That's a bit rich when it was you that started the thread and you that is backing up Comerfords false claims. I didn't claim anything except expose as untrue your propaganda.

Its a vile disgusting homophobic and transphobic comment. Rowlings transphobic and homophobic hate speech are getting worse but sure go on and tell her how brilliant she is. 🤣

Careful now, you'll break your pearls. I never endorsed her in any way, only shown that you and Comerford have not proven that she's a homophobe. I'm not particularly interested in JK actually as I don't believe in centring the trans debate around one particular individual.

Meanwhile the vast majority of us in the LGBT community who know the truth of what her hate speech is now doing and will continue to call out her bigoted hatred.

That 'vast majority' wouldn't include anyone in the LGB Alliance would it. Or the Australian one or the US one. Or Douglas Murray or DNK or Martina Navratilova or Ben Apell etc etc etc.

Did you go into the phonebox meeting for the Irish one?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭raclle

Imagine if this mis-interpretation was the other way around.

I wonder would anyone defend JKR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I would have to say I am sympathetic to LGBTQ+ issues. Strong supporter of equal rights including marriage equality. Welcome very much a more equal and understanding workplace and society more generally. I was shocked at the recent killings and beatings of gay people.

however I find this cancelling of people like Graham Linehin and JK Rowling hard to stomach. Tolerance works both ways. If someone is pro-life I can respect their views even if I am pro choice.

I wouldn't risk it unless I lived in a castle like JK. That way I could pour buckets of hot water down on top of the ideological zealots when the come for me.

• Advertisement

JKR hasnt been cancelled. Graham Linehan was kicked off twitter because he was constantly harassing and endangering trans women online. Also in real life.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement