Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JK Rowling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know what homophobia is. You dont need to explain to me what you think homophobia is. Thanks anyway but Ill pass.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Ignoring my point to discuss my phrasing does not make it seem like you're interested in any real conversation here. Did you just open the thread so you can fight with people?

Im reminded of what Panti said 8 years ago

For the last three weeks, I have been lectured to by heterosexual people about what homophobia is, and about who is allowed to identify it. Straight people have lined up - ministers, senators, barristers, journalists - have lined up to tell me what homophobia is, and to tell me what I am allowed to feel oppressed by.

People who have never experienced homophobia in their lives, people who have never checked themselves at a pedestrian crossing, have told me that unless I am being thrown into prison, or herded onto a cattle truck, then it is not homophobia. And that feels opressive.

And so now, Irish gay people, we find ourselves in this ludicrous situation where we are not only not allowed to say publicly what we feel oppressed by, we’re not even allowed to think it, because the very definition - our definition - has been disallowed by our betters.

And for the last three weeks, I’ve been denounced - from the floor of the Oireachtas [the Irish parliament], to newspaper columns, to the seething morass of internet commentary - denounced for using hate speech because I dared to use the word ‘homophobia’, and a jumped-up queer like me should know that the word homophobia is no longer available to gay people. Which is a spectacular and neat Orwellian trick, because now it turns out that gay people are not the victims of homophobia, homophobes are the victims of homophobia.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Linehan cancelled himself, his career, his marriage, his family, his life, because he couldn't bear to listen to some slightly critical feedback of work done decades previously.

Typical of TRAs. Hurl accusations of transphobia and homophobia against JK Rowling with no proof, except welcoming someone back to Twitter, and won't even bother to read the essay she wrote which lays out in detail her exact stance on the subject. You have no interest in facts or reality. Just happy to perpetuate the misogynistic witch hunt against a woman who won't bow down to your every demand.

Here's something else that you won't bother to read because it doesn't fit your narrative. A gay man writes about the new homophobia that is inherent in current LGBTQ activism. More and more gay men and lesbians are now speaking out as they do not take kindly to being told by privileged, straight, white people (who identify as queer so that they can feel special), that they are bigots, or sexual Nazis for being same sex attracted and not same gender attracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Really just look at what you wrote there. You know what homophobia is but they only think they know. The sheer arrogance.

Do you really think you can own the definition of homophobia or is it just heavy-handedness to stir up more anger?

This is funny really in a way

Trying to tell me what transphobia and homophobia is and isnt.

Using homophobic/transphobic LGBT people as some sort of proof of something.

Insinuations about bullying, being too angry, too over the top and too emotional. And then trotting out the transphobic/homophobic "transing the gay away" conspiracies 🤣

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What's you problem with 'Mz'?

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

She is not 'Miss' - which generally donates never married female.

She does not wish to be called 'Mrs Murray' as she is divorced.

'Mz' or 'Ms' being short for 'Mistress' used as an alternative to 'Miss' or 'Missus' - in the case of Mz Rawlings it fits her marital situation perfectly - she is neither a 'miss' or a 'mrs'. Heaven forfend she should be misrepresented, after all, she is very very picky about other people's presentation of their identity.

Mistress Rawlings - the divorcee.

Not knowing the meaning of an abbreviation is a very strange hill to choose to die on Mx Smith (I use gender neutral 'Mx' as I am unaware of your gender and do not wish to offend by mis- gendering you).

Post edited by Bannasidhe on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

“Ms. is the proper way to describe any woman, regardless of marital status.”

Mz is presumably some bullshit term like ‘cis’.

Also why do you insist on repeatedly calling her ‘Rawlings’?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dennis is not a homophobe. He is a gay man.

just on this point; is it not possible for a gay person to say something homophobic? e.g. if a straight person says something homophobic, and a gay person repeats it, does it cease to be homophobic?

• Advertisement

Let's pick this apart.

Let's look at Navratilova who is frequently trotted out by transphobes as 'one of them'. A claim she strenuously denies.

In 2019 She made a statement saying that transgender women who have not medically transitioned should be prevented from competing against biological women as their 'male' body would give them an advantage. It would be quote "cheating".

A month later she publicly apologised for using the term "cheating" and vowed to work with trans athletes to find a solution.

She co-founded the Women's Sports Policy Working Group which has campaigned AGAINST blanket bans of transgender athletes.

In 2021 Navratilova co-authored an op-ed with trans athlete Juniper Eastwood and Dr Doriane Coleman opposing a proposed blanket ban in North Carolina.

The issue Navratilova has is not with transgender women competing against cis women. It is transgender women who have not medically transitioned competing against cis women.

In the Women's Doubles Finals of the US Open in 1977 Navratilova/ Stove defeated Richards/Grubb Stuart.

Renee Richards - a transgender woman who had surgically transitioned - later became Navratilova's coach.

They remain close friends.

Mz is perfectly acceptable whatever you presume Mx Smith.

As for Rawlings - simple spelling error caused by auto correct but sure go make a mountain out of the hill you have chosen to die on.

Jaysis. Just googled Harry Potter and racism. They are childrens's books but every activist and alt-journalist tries to shoehorn(ie project) their views into the books where no issue actually exists. Came across this in the Guardian," The Harry Potter series has been constantly accused of queerbaiting— a marketing ploy used to lure an LGBTQ+ fan base by teasing the possibility of non-heterosexual characters, without the intention of ever developing it into an actual element of the story.

Here’s a classic instance of queerbaiting. Before Harry Potter and the Cursed Child — the play that tells the story of Harry Potter 19 years later — was even published, there was a tonne of fanfiction ‘shipping’ (when fans wish for two characters to be romantically linked) Draco Malfoy’s son Scorpius with Harry Potter’s younger son Albus. When the play finally came out, the bonhomie between the duo was far more intense than the relationship between Harry and his best friend, Ron, ever was.

Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin, two characters from the series who were thought to be queer by fans, were married out of the blue and made to settle down as as a typical hetronormative family. Tonks, a Metamorphmagus — a witch who can change her appearance at will, was considered to be gender fluid. Lupin’s struggles as a werewolf were seen as deliberately framed to highlight the plight of HIV/AIDS patients. But even these prominently queer characteristics pointed out by Potter fans, weren’t enough for Rowling to properly assert and develop these traits in later books.

It’s not fair for Rowling to keep adding queer elements the Harry Potter fans root for after the books have been published in ways that suit her interest, but fail to actually bring diversity and inclusivity to her writing."

Seriously, these are childrens books, they can be seperate from the author.

What is this ‘to die on’ nonsense you keep repeating?

I asked a simple question re the term ‘Mz’. I had never heard it before and from searching I found a couple of references to it that says it is only used in the US/Canada. It is not a commonly used term anywhere, unlike ‘Ms.’

Then I asked a simple question re the strange use of ‘Rawlings’, assuming that someone posting repeatedly on a thread about Ms. ‘Rowling’ (with her name in the thread title) would know her name was ‘Rowling’ and not ‘Rawlings’.

The suggestion that all literary criticism of books written for children is henceforth ended is another strange hill to die on.

We must, apparently, now take them at face value and not dig into any recurring themes, notable features, or discuss how the author's life/politics/religion etc etc may have influenced the work.

I assume the same must happen with films?

Regardless of how dodgy they may be we let it all slide because they are "kid's books"?

This is an illustration from Elvira Bauer's best selling 'kid's book' "Never trust a Fox on his Green Meadow and a Jew on his Oath" published in 1936.

The Homophobes had no problem using a children's book to introduce Section 28 in the UK. This is the book in question.

IMO only a person who doesn't understand how powerful books are, and their influence on children, would suggest their contents are not discussed. Letting a children read any old book at all just because it is marketed as a 'kid's book' is akin to allowing a child access any old website at all as long as it says it 'for kid's'

The Far Right has always understood the power of children's books.

Asking a simple question is one thing.

Repeatedly asking in a demanding tone as if you have found some gotcha is an entirely different thing.

You did the latter. Hence the hill where you were shaking your fist at the sky as your query wasn't instantly answered.

It is also used among the Lesbian community - betcha didn't google that. And as this is the LGBT forum, and MZ Rowlings is apparently such an ally to the lesbian community, I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Yup. I don't comment on JK very often but I do quite a bit of DIY (it's a lesbian thing) - spellcheck reads 'rowl' as 'rawl' - quick, call the Conspiracy Police. Spellcheck is cancelling the former Mrs Murray nee Rowlings.

Her surname is ‘Rowling’.

Not ‘Rawlings’.

Not ‘Rowlings’.

Continuing to misspell it when this has been pointed out to you is clearly intentional on your part.

So can I infer that you have chosen ‘to die on’ this particularly hill?

Do I look bovvered?

Mate, I'm watching women's rugby right now which is far more important than you wanting to have a strop about how I spell the name of an author when I'm not really paying attention.

Off you infer.

Wow.

We had all this trotted out in 2014 and 2015 with Mr Mills and Manning. Of course gay people can be homophobic.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

His wife lost work and they were threatened, the police were coming round to their home.

Graham Linehan has spent about 10 years bullying and harassing trans people online. Gas how people try to play this down and paint him as the victim.

Terry Pratchet

“Its the truth.” So is the fact that only a woman can bear a child. Only a woman can have a womb. No matter how much one may wish it otherwise, it’s a fact. Saying so doesn’t mean one is transphobic.

Analyse all you want. You are reading too much into the Harry Potter books and projecting your own pet obsessions into the books. You are on a par with some born again Christian loons(and their Islamic counterparts) that are convinced that the harry potter books promote satanism.

EDIT. THIS thread us godwinned already

Terry Pratchet

Cool story. Still waiting on the evidence that Dennis Kavanagh is homophobic, upon which this whole thread is based.

People are free to call themselves whatever they wish. They can do whatever they like to their bodies. But only a female with a womb can give birth. Call her a girl or a woman, but do not deny her gender.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Poster who has the audacity to tell me what my 'pet' obsessions are and whom I can be compared to based on an anon post in a thread on a discussion forum also claims I am 'reading too much' into a series of books.

Oh the irony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement