Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JK Rowling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's a lot of that in this thread. Cis Straight people jumping in to tell us what homophobia and transphobia is and they know best etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

To me homophobia and transphobia is an irrational hatred of homosexuals and transgender people. What I resent is anyone denying one’s natural born gender and the biology of reproduction. No matter what a female calls her/it/their selves, only a genetically born female can give birth. Fact.

This is a case of agreeing to differ. I won’t change your mind any more than you could change mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

"I resent anyone denying one's natural born gender"

What you on about? Where's this happening then?

Indeed. Thats your understanding of what homophobia and transphobia is but not your actual experience of it. The point I have continuously made in this thread is that many who have never personally experienced homophobia or transphobia are descending on the thread to tell us their understanding and their definition. I was condescending earlier in referring to this as straightsplaining but its also condescending to tell those of us who have actually experienced it what it actually is/isnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

“I was condescending earlier in referring to this as straightsplaining but its also condescending to tell those of us who have actually experienced it what it actually is/isnt.”

So, please enlighten us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod note to all posters - Please do not link dump. If you're pasting an article please given us at least one line of commentary on it, either a brief summary of what it is or, ideally, your own thoughts on it and why you feel it is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Harry Potter author JK Rowling under fire for defending woman sacked over comments against transgender athletes in sport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - The thread has been tidied up somewhat and a number of posts have been deleted. Can we please keep the dicussion civil and above all can posters familiarize themselves with the LGBT forum charter - this is not the CA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No proof of JKR being homophobic has been presented in this thread, which is what this thread is about.

I'm willing to consider further evidence if there is any presented.

Something more convincing than hand clap emoji's please lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

Contrary to belief JKR is not a trans/homophobe and the OPs accusations are circumstantial.

This thread is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Youre doing an awful lot of assuming about people and their experiences here. Who are you to say whether people have experienced homophobia or transphobia before? Who are you to say your experience of it is more relevant than someone else's?

You're saying that only people who've been the subject of homophobia can know what it is, fine. Does that go for other forms of abuse? Can you not know rape until you've been raped? Can you not define violence without being attacked? how about something less extreme, rudeness? Do you need to have experienced that before you can tell people what is rude? Doesn't make sense in those cases, so why would it for homophobia?

Besides if homophobia can only be defined subjectively then how can we ever condemn someone for being homophobic, since they can only know what it is by living it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

By their friends ye shall know them

A wee luncheon hosted by Mz Rowling this month is co-incidentally a who's who of GCs in the UK.

So much TERF in this photo Eamon Ryan is thinking of banning digging up more.

Here we have JK blowing that well known transphobic dog whistle that claims it's just a cover for men to abuse women.

Rowling said she was worried that “the new trans activism” was eroding women and girls’ rights to single-sex spaces by “offering cover to predators”.

“I believe my government is playing fast and loose with womens and girls’ safety,” she wrote.

“When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he’s a woman ... then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside.”

As if predators need an excuse, or does she think a door will magically stop a man intent on carrying out an assault in a public space?

What has actually happened is butch cis women have been assaulted, threatened by security and generally 'excluded from single-sex' spaces through fear and intimidation.

I am a biological female who identifies as a woman. I am not, for any intents or purposes, transgender. But as a non-gender conforming butch lesbian, I have my own tiny window into our nation’s current political debate about bathrooms—the always looming fear that easily slips into shame, and the occasional outright harassment, all because I have to pee. And that’s from using the bathrooms that I “should” be using according to vicious anti-transgender bills sweeping the nation.

https://time.com/4322953/north-carolina-mississippi-bathroom-bills/

Rowling's transphobic rhetoric is literally feeding anti-butch lesbian homophobia.

A butch lesbian who has been threatened, assaulted and intimidated while using the women’s bathroom is warning of the growing attacks on gender non-conforming people using public toilets.

Eloise Stonborough, 32, who presents as butch – a woman whose gender expression and traits present as typically ‘masculine’ – said she is challenged on using a women’s toilet roughly every one in three times she uses a public facility, with the attacks increasing significantly over the last two years.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/butch-lesbian-public-toilet-women-abuse-government-review-gender-neutral-facilities-833787

Where exactly in that comment is proof she's transphobic? You're speculating based on your own biased views

What do you thinks she is saying here then:

"Rowling said she was worried that “the new trans activism” was eroding women and girls’ rights to single-sex spaces by “offering cover to predators”.

“I believe my government is playing fast and loose with womens and girls’ safety,” she wrote.

“When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he’s a woman ... then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside.”

or here:

""I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode ‘woman’ as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it,"

What's her issue here?

Aren't people who menstruate people?

Do only women menstruate? What about transgender men?

Do you have to menstruate to be considered a woman? My Mam stopped menstruating when she was 37 - do I have to tell her she hasn't been a woman for over 50 years? Is she still counted as one of the people?

I would appreciate your insight into how none of these are transphobic dogwhistles - even though the leaders of the Gender Critical movement believe they are, and had a fine time telling Mz JK how delighted she made them at their recent luncheon hosted by JK herself.

They are going to be some very disappointed TERFS if JK turns out to not be 'gender critical'.

Oh look, there's the lovely Suzanne Moore who recently outed the obnoxious lgbt activist Owen Jones as a bully last week. Good for her, we all knew something like this was going to transpire sooner or later.

Anyways, in a reply to me asking for some proof of JKR being a homophobe which is what this thread is about, not for you to get things off your chest, you present to me a photo of JKR in the company of at least 5 homosexuals out to lunch as evidence. I wasn't expecting anyone to present evidence that supports my case, so, thanks!

As for the latter point you make I have no reason to believe a word of any of those accounts. Particularly because I know the lengths trans activist allies go to to make false allegations as seen in this thread.

Simple really. If at the céilí or the set you line up on the left-hand side, you're a man, and if you line up on the right-hand side, you're a woman. Seriously, everyone knows that. Your choice, and your call. Regrettably for anyone who wishes to identify in anything other than such a binary fashion, dancing protocols don't really recognise any other genders, and once you've lined up on the right or the left no-one with an ounce of wit or sense gives a feck what kind of genitals you have.

Oh, and what the **** would some people do without Twatface (or whatever it's called) to fuel their outrage?

Fáilte chuig mo Thedchaint. Ní bheidh mé ag glacadh ceisteanna ag an bpointe seo. 😁

Translation:

I will not accept any evidence, I will, however, introduce an utterly irrelevant topic - while later declaring what this thread is about - again.

Then I will make a point of calling the women at the forefront of the GC movement - (who make an enormously big deal, with the support of JKR, about being both biological women and 'butch' lesbians and claim that trans activists seek to render them invisible) - the gender neutral term 'homosexuals'.

I will also demonstrate my complete and utter disregard for JKR's big publicity stunt by referring to it as "out to lunch".

To finish up I will once again insinuate that any issue is in the minds of those members of the LGBTQ community voicing concerns, including those posting in this thread, thereby ending my whole nothing to see here themed monologue with a spot of gaslighting.

• Advertisement

There are those who insist that people who should line up on the left are lining up on the right only so they can rape the people who literally own the right. Some of them are also there to win all the medals in women's sports.

It is as yet unclear why those who, according to the biology imperative posse, should be lining up on the right but are in fact lining up on the left are hoping to achieve.

I see JKR is promoting Lesbian Awareness Week today, if any more evidence was needed what a nasty homophobe she is.

And that's Allison Bailey marching for LGB rights. Very odd kind of self hating homophobe.

Since you are such an expert on the Alison Bailey you dismissed in your last post as a" homosexual" (talk about yer lesbian invisibility) care to tell us her views on transgender women?

After all, you are quick to point out what this thread is about when it suits your purpose - so - what does Mz Bailey have to say about Transgender women?

As for JKR promoting Lesbian Awareness Week - can we now assume she will suddenly become aware that one of the HP characters was a lesbian all this time but we'll have to wait for the pre-prequel, Invisible Sapphics and the Single-Sex Toilets, to find out who?

Anyone care to place bets on who it will be?

Any character liked DIY, had short hair, and favoured Doc Martens?

Since you are such an expert on the Alison Bailey you dismissed in your last post as a" homosexual" (talk about yer lesbian invisibility) care to tell us her views on transgender women?

I'm not an expert on Aliison Bailey, the only reason I know of her is because of media reports that she is suing Stonewall UK, the case starts today I believe.

You do know what homosexuality means don't you, it means of one who is sexually attracted to owns own sex, which means lesbians are homosexuals, so Allison Bailey is a homosexual. I would have thought being a homosexual yourself you'd know that. Or are you saying when 'gay' marriage was given the green light it only applied to gay men and not lesbians?

I haven't a clue what Allison Bailey has to say about transgender women, as I said I'm not an expert on her, apparently it is you that is the expert.

The only purpose I'm interested in in this thread is to show as I've already shown that no proof of JKR being homophobic has been given and in doing so expose the tactics of the Leftist trans allies.

Your lack of expertise hasn't prevented you from commenting thus far.

You not only lack expertise of the topic of Mz Bailey, it is abundantly clear you haven't a gendered notion what "lesbian viability" means in the context JKR is promoting it. Or why is is a battle cry of the CG Movement.

You do feel qualified to come into the LGBT forum and lecture people on what is, and is not, transphobia and homophobia despite an obvious lack of expertise in being a victim of either of those.

You don't even appear to have expertise in going beyond the first few entries of a google search.

Taken all of this into consideration what you do have in abundance is brass neck when you accuse others of bias.

This is Allison Bailey - insisting she be allowed to refer to Trans Women as 'Men' during her case against Stonewall. THAT is transphobia.

Your lack of expertise hasn't prevented you from commenting thus far.

You not only lack expertise of the topic of Mz Bailey, it is abundantly clear you haven't a gendered notion what "lesbian viability" means in the context JKR is promoting it. Or why is is a battle cry of the CG Movement.

I don't know why you think I need to be an expert on Bailey to show you have no proof that JKR is homophobic. Your whole post is making the argument that JK and Bailey are transphobic, but that's not what this thread is about, therefore all you say there is completely irrelevant.

You do feel qualified to come into the LGBT forum and lecture people on what is, and is not, transphobia and homophobia despite an obvious lack of expertise in being a victim of either of those.

I was qualified enough to know what's relevant in this thread and that is that Dennis Kavanage is gay, clearly isn't homophobic, which obviously the OP and Twitter activist Comerford didn't know, because if they did they they wouldn't have been that dim to make the accusation that Rowling is homophobic but is nonetheless colluding with transphobic homophobic homosexuals.

You're the epitome of a misogynist. Yes we are all very much aware the LGBT community wants to be heard as they forever wallow in self pity but are going the wrong way about it by attacking people through misconception and being loud and obnoxious. I wonder whatever happened to free speech or having an opinion that is biologically true? Oh no this self righteous community doesn't want to hear that...well guess what nobody **** cares!!!

Mod - Threadbanned

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

This popped up in my FB memories from 7 years ago.

How appropriate given the recent upsurge in those who make it clear they don't think LGBT people are like 'them' - who now, thanks to the GC Movement and it's willing homosexual lackies, feel emboldened to spread the hate again.

Such sad, pathetic, hate-filled creatures they are. But do not pity them. Take it from this old Dyke. They are not worthy to be the dirt beneath our sensible shoes, or even the wet wipes we use to remove our glitter.

They fear our fabulous.

Our honesty in living our lives as who we are, not who they think we should be, shines a spotlight on their cowardice.

Highlights their lives of stifling conformity.

They fear to dance while we trip the light fantastic.

They cannot dare to even dream it, while we have the courage to be it.

They will twist words, gaslight us, scream in faux outrage when challenged, roar their battle cry that being called phobic is worse than being phobic. Some will seek our deaths.

All participants in a spectrum of hate.

This is nothing new. For millennia this has been the way.

They won't go away. But neither will we.

We're Here.

We're Queer.

Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you interact with many people like this in reality on a day to day basis, or are all these hate mongers purely limited to what you're reading on Twitter?

If so, refer to post 10 in this thread.

• Advertisement

Do you lecture members of minorities in real life or are you only brave when you are posting anonymously?

Gotta love the people who pop into the LGBT forum to gaslight us from the safety of their keyboards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement