Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ah, jaysus, Andrew, come one... You know there's a Revenue allowance of €3-ish per day for every day that you're WFH? There's the cost of your plug-in oil heater covered, straight off. But if you're working, and your house is that cold and poorly insulated, call the SEAI, get a grant, invest in some triple-glazing and insulation. Seriously.

No, there are no fuel costs for those who cycle, walk, or run, but we all know that's only a small minority of the workforce. Most people have to rely on public transport, or drive.

Transport aside, most people WFH are saving a lot of money that was otherwise going on coffees, lunches, lunchtime shopping, and so on. I know since all this covid shite started, I've saved an absolute fortune, and that's only WFH 3 days a week. Giving out about the cost of heating your work area at home seems a bit 🙄

Worst case, get yourself a hooded blanket! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Only if your employer pays it, if they dont then you wont get it:

If your employer pays you a working from home allowance towards these expenses, you can get up to €3.20 per day without paying any tax

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I claimed the Revenue credit last year, it got me about €100. I spent more than that on furniture. So now I'm expected to pay for furniture, heating, light and broadband, for the pleasure of providing working space free of charge to my employer.

'Get a grant' is a bit of a 'let them eat cake' response. You know how the grants work? You need to have up-front funding, and then you get a partial grant - a real subsidy for the comfortable rather than the needy. I'll probably have to wait for my retirement lump sum ironically before I can fund improvement works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

No. There's a tax credit from Revenue available to people working from home - that's what I was referring to. It works out around €3/day. Details here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

That's separate from any allowance an employer might pay, but I've not heard of any employers paying people extra to WFH.

You paid for furniture? You're a public servant, IIRC? My old employer civil service employer supplied OPW desks to anyone who needed one. And some people took their office chairs home. But if WFH is really such a hardship for you (really!? Are you not saving an absolute fortune, overall?), then as per the previous poster, you can go back to the office fulltime. Spread the joy in there. 🙄

• Advertisement

You get one or the other, the allowance from your employer whuch is 3.20 per day or you can claim 10% of your light and heat and 30% of your electricity.

Say your electricity and gas is 2k per year and your BB is 600 per year, thats 380 you can claim, and its a tax credit.

If you are a higher rate tax payer you get 40% of it back.

so 40c a day. Assuming you work from home full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭downtheroad

L&H increasing to 30% for 2022, which will contribute a little more (but not anywhere near enough to offset the general increase in the costs of gas and electricity unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

My workplace is insisting on a 50/50 split. Already people leaving due to it. Not the poor performers though its the better employees starting to go already as finding jobs that suit their needs much easier. I think employers are in a for a bit of a surprise this year with turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This will be the real story as offices begin to open.

Good employees are generally hireable, and they know that. Companies that offer WFH or a loose hybrid approach, will lap up the employees that want that flexibility. Those that don't, will probably find it more and more difficult to hire replacement staff of that calibre as they go.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody is standing up to these bullying bosses and actually staying WFH while being ordered back to their desks, has anybody been dismissed for this stance yet?

As opposed to simply voting with their feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep idiot employers are learning the hard way. I have heard of several strong performers getting new jobs with better WFH terms.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Hard to do as most contracts signed pre covid did not have WFH wrote into it hence place of employment is on site for most.

Agreed, but if a company is haemorrhaging staff, it would be really stupid to dismiss others for refusing to go back to the old 9-5 routine when they have proven that they can equally WFH without loss of productivity.

All they would succeed in doing is making it clear to others that there is no way forward here and it's time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know exactly how the tax credit works having claimed it for the last two years. You need to record each utility bill and claim a % of the cost. It is a painful process, to get about €100 in tax credit.

And yes, furniture for me and for those at secondary level who were WFH full time in the early days. Not a huge cost on its own, but on top of all the other costs, it really didn't help.

And yes, I'm largely back at the office now, though the issues I've flagged with WFH are not unique to me.

Very hard to compare light and heat bills, given the various increases and switching of providers since then (with no access to history at the old provider).

For broadband, it certainly prevented me from disconnecting from broadband, given that most in the house can work off 4G connections these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

My workplace have been attempting to get people back on site 50% of the time -and failing miserably. I’m job hunting at present too and won’t be accepting anything requiring more than 2 days in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dinosaur organizations are losing out on their greatest asset which is their people. Their best people are leaving and moving to their competitors who place a greater value on employee welfare and work life balance by allowing the employee to work wherever suits them, be it at home, the office or a combination, but the employee can choose. As long as the work is being done that's the main thing.

Those companies failing to adapt to modern times and employee preferences will be left with a company with a poor standard of employee and the knock on effect will be a lower standard of work leading to less efficiency, costly errors and customer churn.

Can those in power in these companies really not see this?

my workplace has given up and accepted that staff won’t do it. There was initially a hybrid model requiring 2 days in the office, but staff largely ignored it, and management didn’t feel they could force the issue in the absence of deterioration in delivery and team dynamics. Attendance is now completely voluntary and as long as people perform, and also come to the office for specific events / team gatherings, then there’ll no need to management to change that view

You are always going to have employers with weird policies that's against the norm, they usually make it up by paying well and having a strong reputation so retain the talent.

Sure - but there's a bit of a difference between, say, a couple of the consultant companies' pre-COVID weird-ass policies ("You must wear a white dress shirt and we have no casual Friday! This will cost you around €500 a year in shirts but hey, look at your bonus!") and life now ("You must always come to the office, even though we know you can work as well at home, and yes, that does mean you need to live in commuting distance of Dublin, which will cost you an extra €500/month in rent! But on the other hand... sure you're getting out of the house!")

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Reading some of the posts on this thread, it appears people think that only the best talent want to wfh, and if they leave, the inevitable consequence is that the employer suffers an irreplaceable loss. While I’m in favour of work practices that suit both sides, I’m struggling to see why so many think that they are irreplaceable. There are at least as many who are willing to take the jobs of those that don’t want them.

With respect I think your missing the full point.

Yes no one is irreplaceable but losing a talented worker who has high value add over someone who just does the job is costly. Knowledge and skill drain is underrated in many companies e.g. losing someone who just does the job is much easier to replace than someone who has high value add that will take longer and hence cost more to replace in both time and monetary terms.

• Advertisement

Agreed. And once you start losing two or three people with organisational knowledge, then it will take a while to fill that gap even if the new staff are talented

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think organisations don't value experienced people correctly. As a result they are not even aware of what they losing. Many places don't even measure productivity. Hence they have no way of measuring the value or not of wfh.

With respect, not everyone wants to wfh or makes it a deal breaker when applying for a job. It seems odd to think they will be less talented.

It’s a running theme of the thread, an unshakeable belief that wfh is better than an office environment (because it suits the poster rather than anything else) and a naive view on how replaceable most staff are oh and add a complete disregard for management.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And a blindness to the amount of extra management effort needed to make milti-site work successful.

All that people changing jobs does is reduce the book value of employers redundancy liability ( especially good for employers if a recession starts) and open up new opportunities for those who stay.

That's not what is being said.

It's that losing someone with domain knowledge and experience had a cost as does bringing someone new in and getting them up to speed in the same organisation.

Do you think people leaving is a unique occurrence since Covid began?

The advantages and disadvantages of both are measurable metrics. Suggesting there are none undermines your credibility entirely.

A business or a person will not get far if they can only able to operate from one physical location and with with people they can see in person.

Again if you don't know that changing people has a cost, it can't be explained to you.

• Advertisement

Do you think people always need to meet in person. Have you ever used a phone, email sent a letter?

Advertisement