Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sentencing, Murder and Hate Crimes

• 13-04-2022 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭

I am confused.

The Justice Minister wants to introduced harder sentences for murders whose motives are based hate or prejudices. Have we become so lenient with sentencing murderers that you have to add extra crimes to their crime of murder(s)?

Am I the only one who think criminal always look for excuses to commit crime?

Time we had a mandatory sentence of life for murder.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭mikethecop

do we not already ? have mandatory life sentence for murder i mean,

the legal industry itself will veto any real change in justice as it would adversely effect their profits

shitty way to be i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So what is the minister for justice talking about!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She wasn't referring specifically to murder, she was referring to any crime motivated by hate. The implication being that if someone is punished more harshly the first time, then they may not go on to commit worse crimes motivated by the same hate.

Like you say, you can't get a worse punishment for murder regardless of motivation. We do have mandatory life sentences for murder.

I'm not in favour of a "life without parole" sentencing option, though I would like to see considerably more transparency around how and why murderers are released in the first place.

If we don't believe that someone is capable of change, then why lock them up at all? Why not a bullet in the head and be done with it? Because the justice system is based on the reality that people can change and it is incumbent on society to show moral superiority and give people that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its also about a form of justice. I'm at more risk of being targeted with a homophobic hate crime then you. You probably wont be ever beaten up or murdered because you are heterosexual. If I get beaten up while someone is shouting homophobic abuse its very very different to me being beaten up without that abuse. The impact on me as a target or victim is much stronger who was targeted because of sexuality is much stronger.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

No, but if you are both men you could randomly be beaten up, or worse, on a night out in Dublin.

Of course. Anyone can. But the impact on hate crime victims is worse because they are targeted because of who they are.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But they can be reformed right?

I think I am morally superior to a Murderer, those poor murderers always murdering, 5 years in jail should sort them out.... right?

She was talking about the report into a alleged hate murder, which if caught would result in a mandatory life sentence ... with parole. Unless hate murder should be execution or life without parole!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No point asking her either, she probably has no clue too

We do have mandatory life sentence for murder. What are you talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ShamanRing

I don’t buy into this. Every assault is driven by some form of hate. Should the punishment for the crime for targeting you because of your sexuality be more severe than let’s say, someone targeting me because I’m ginger, or ‘dressed like a posh ****’, or because I’m Irish (I live abroad)?

Yes, you are morally superior to a murderer. Which is why you don't execute them for murder.

Anyway, I can see you're mostly here for the rant. Nobody gets five years for murder in Ireland, and the fact of the matter is that murderers have one of the lowest recidivism rates there are. It is very, very rare for someone to be convicted of murder after being released. Of the small number who fall foul of the law again, it's usually public order offences or road traffic offences rather than violent crime.

There is no basis for "life means life" sentences for murder, nothing extra to be gained. It won't make people less likely to commit murder and won't stop crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

For murder...

Life should mean life

Sod the rehabilitation, you should never come out

YOU terminated someones life, permanently

YOURS should also be terminated permanently

Sadly there's no death sentence... so WHOLE LIFE imprisonment it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

There is one thing extra to be gained, if somebody is locked up for life, or executed (although I know that's a subject for another thread!) then there's no way they can commit a crime directly against any person outside that jail ever again. In that regard, life meaning life, or indeed execution, has a recidivism rate against the general public of 0%.

I think we'd probably agree on far more than we'd disagree judging by your post but thought that was one thing worth mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Life should mean Life, in a shed hell hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Scenario: An assault on a gay man by a straight man.

Should this crime carry a more severe punishment if the straight man has no idea of the sexual orientation of the victim ?

Lets just say they have never met before and there was an exchange of insults over a football match or something.

Should a crime be punished on the basis of what impact it had on the victim? Or should a crime be punished based on the crime itself? I think that's a question worth exploring. If I steal from Elon Musk, or from a homeless person, should my punishment be less/more, even if the crimes are identical?

No

The person wasnt targeted because of their sexual orientation.

Terry Pratchet

Sure, but if we just killed everyone who ever committed a crime, the recidivism rate would be zero. Sure let's just purge everyone. No people, no crime.

I see the point, but I don't think it's a particular gotcha. People commit crimes. Even if every single criminal was locked up for life, crime would still happen. Look at the US; 0.66% of the entire population is currently in prison (8 times higher than Ireland), and yet there's still crime everywhere.

Keeping an already small number of murderers in prison for life has no real gain to Irish society. It's a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the total crimes committed. And they're usually not violent.

Both. The crime itself and the impact on the victim. If you still 200 Euro off Elon Musk it wont have the same effect as stealing 200 euro off a homeless person. The crime itself doesnt happen in a vacuum where there are no consequences.

Why do you think we now have victim impact statements read out in court.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Let me get this straight: there's a difference between a "hate" murder and a "nothing personal but you're in my way" murder, which is not motivated by hate?

So somebody gets irritated by a couple of ostentatiously gay guys flirting and bitching with each other and each doing a bad attempt at being Graham Norton and finally decides to clock one of them to shut them up, the guy resists and a real fight develops that sees the gay guy severely beaten and disfigured, so much so that he dies. That's a hate crime?

Whereas a burglar gets disturbed while rummaging through a house by somebody who sees his face so the burglar hits him with a poker several times to ensure he will never be able to pick him out of a line up. That's not a hate crime?

They're both murder, or at the very least if the accused is VERY lucky, they're both manslaughter. I don't see how one should be elevated in seriousness over the other.

But if "hate crimes" are to be promoted over "ordinary decent criminal just doing his job" crimes in terms of public opprobrium and sentencing, well that's not going to end well for the very minorities that are most susceptible to those "hate" crimes in the first place.

Another scenario would be if someone attacked me and called me names inferring I was gay while doing so, would it be classed as a more serious crime, even though I am straight?

If someone attacked me and called me a fat bastard or baldy fucker while doing so, is that a more serious crime?

Is it a lesser crime if someone attacks you but while doing so is shouting that they are accepting of your sexual orientation and whatever gender you identify as?

If someone is actively seeking gay people to assault because they are gay or a black person because they are black, then yeah, that's a hate crime right there. If someone says something offensive about someones sexuality/race, but the motive of the attack is not their sexuality, then no, I don't see how that could be classed as a more serious crime.

While I know you showing two very different muggings, I don't think you'd be much worse of as a criminals in either case. And what if the mugger is also homeless or what if they themselves are a millionaire.

Do we now dole out sentances based on both the demographic of the victim and the criminal?

If a homeless person steels 200 euro from another homeless person?

______

Yesterday

I think your first point is just heading towards reductio ad absurdum there, it's not really needed with me, but I know that some of the posters on here can drive anyone in that direction! 😀

There's rarely a 'Gothca' in anything to do with such a crime, thankfully murder itself being a very rare and violent crime.

The gain to Irish society is justice itself being done. I accept that justice is a concept and as such harder to point at and say 'Hey look, there's some justice' but allowing someone to return to free society, without restriction after perpetrating what most of us would agree is the very top, top end of the crime scale seems... unjust?

Well, first one probably manslaughter

second one, there is a defence and the dwelling act, which states you can use force against an intruder in your home.

So, no you didn't get it straight😁

Huh? In the second scenario it was the burglar, not the person who disturbed them, that was the assailant. How can being the burglar entitle you to kill someone and claim self defence? Maybe that would work in America but they're all mad, Ted.

Ah😊 read that wrong, but he would probably be charged with manslaughter too.

I'd disagree with you on that, I believe that the crime itself is the most important factor to be considered by the judge/jury/whoever, rather than the impact. The impact is secondary, and by it's very nature, emotional. I've been very lucky, have not had many crimes committed against me, but the last one I can remember, I was absolutely furious, I would have done anything to feel like I was getting justice. But that doesn't make for good laws/justice. Emotion shouldn't come into law making/sentencing.

Why shouldnt it be considered?

For someone who has been violently raped their whole life could be spent in fear/traumatised/reliving it all/unable to build relationships/unable to forget what happened.

If someone is beaten up because of who they are its a different matter than just being beaten up.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭rightmove

I saw a program on a murder in london. Bunch of scrotes went out to cause mayhem one night. They killed a guy who worked in a local bar before assaulting a few others. https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/happy-slap-killer-freed-after-4-years-6804596.html

during the program the police said they were looking at it as hate crime until they gang went on to assault the homeless guy who was straight apparently.

It struck me that if they didnt assault the second guy they would be in more trouble for the first crime coz it could be judged to be a hate crime. I mean thats totally illogical. Makes no f*cking sense.

so I guess after the crime in sligo if fair game to go after the men of ireland again like happened when that poor woman was killed in offaly. This time the media will go after ...straight white men ....or as they know them - the real enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭rightmove

Guy who worked in first bar was gay btw - missed that bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Was this thread set up in response to the Sligo incidents this week? There is no thread about the murders?

The reporting by RTE is suggesting some form of hate crime is going on here, I am confused. The minister just this afternoon referenced a difficult week for LGBT in relation to the murders.

Are we to interpret from this reporting that these two men were gay and were murdered for that reason? I am not making light of it, just trying to read between the lines. There is also reference to meeting people online. Piecing this together then, are we dealing with a murderer who is lurking on gay cruising sites and has lured two men to their deaths? We have a problem if that is what is going on and that needs to be nipped quickly.

In no way am I denying the impact of crime. Never have done, never will.

But in asking a justice system to consider the impacts of crime as a primary or important, we create a hirearchy of victims.

To illustrate my point:

You get beaten up for being seen kissing a man, by some homophobic scumbags, you recover physically, recover mentally, move on with your life after a couple of weeks.

Same night, I get beaten up for being seen kissing a man, by some other homophobic scumbags, I recover physically, but suffer from problems leaving me unable to form nice relationships, withdraw emotionally and generally have a pretty bad time for many years.

Would I be right in saying that you see me as more of a victim than you in that scenario? Despite the fact that the crimes were identical. I think that's where we probably diverge in our views of how justice should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,050 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not all murders are equal and if your law is like US law then somewhere in your sentencing laws there is a line about a punishment being something along the lines of "sufficient, but no greater than necessary" - sentencing law takes into account that not all crimes are truly equal and that severity of crimes must match the punishment and so there is a grading scale of crime and punishment. Sentencing enhancements are one part of that philosophy, eg. Murder is punishable by up to life in prison, an enhancement is the death penalty if the victim is a police officer, etc.; murder for premeditation (1st degree murder) and murder for prejudice (hate crimes) are other types of enhancement. While I imagine many younger civilizations simply had mandatory death penalties etc. for most crimes, clearly modern sensibility is to be more precise and proportional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Politicians will talk and give sympathies but they and the justice system in this country condone violence and crime by the lack of sentencing and resources put against policing here.

We all hear of cases of people committing further crimes despite 60/70 charges already. By allowing that,they're giving carte blanche for criminals to go further as they're not being punished.

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

So much judgement akin to victim blaming in the description of scenario 1.

Terry Pratchet

Yes the thread was set up as I was confused as to why the MoJ and the media would some how consider a hate Murder (though she was also talking about the Rugby Player was beaten up at the weekend) different to Murder.

and to be honest, I don't think her bill will in anyway help the levels of crime that we see.

and it seems to me that on the one hand people want tougher sentence when it comes to so-called "hate crime" but lighter sentencing for all other crime, to such an extend that we should do away with prisons and jails in the modern era. I don't think this makes any sense.

but regardless of this ....

IMO the MoJ has jumped on 2 (though the murders maybe unrelated) crimes in order to sell her Hate Crime Bill and to avoid any criticism of her and her department and the failure of both to tackle crime in any real way.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’m not surprised you are confused. What’s with all the coy reporting on the RTE news ? They seem to be going out of their way to say something, without actually coming out ( no pun intended) and saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The reporting by RTE is suggesting some form of hate crime is going on here, I am confused.

they were a full 10 minutes in to the story on the news before they mentioned that it might have been a homophobic attack

• Advertisement

Oh get lost, you insufferable prig!!

Being annoying is not an excuse for murder, manslaughter or even common assault. THAT was my point.

Gay people have as much right to be irritating pricks as anyone else. It does not justify their being assaulted for it.

The problem with bringing in a classification of "hate" crime with the implication that it can be ranked above similar crimes because of the motivation of the perpetrator's prejudices actually trivialises and belittles people.

Here's another scenario: Drunken Cork/Kerry/Clare/Galway hurling/football fan on the LUAS on all-Ireland weekend, slobbering out loud about his team's innate superiority to everyone else and singing his song of support, whether it's Rose of Tralee/The West's Awake/De Banks/etc irritates someone into punching his lights out so that a fight erupts in which he gets killed.

Is the puncher justified? No. Of course not.

Is it fair or relevant to inquire into the sexuality of the victim in order to determine whether it could be a "hate crime" or just an "ordinary" crime?

No. That would be stupid. But if it makes a material difference to the severity of the crime or the sentence, then this is just the sort of enquiry that would have to be made.

Kicking someone's teeth in or smashing a bottle over somebody's head is the essential crime. Asking whether the motivation was "hate-based" or not is impertinent. And unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it appears that the people who bang on the most about hate crimes tend to be weak when it comes to general justice and policing so it seems more like power play. In law there is already the concept of Mens rea or intention behind a crime.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mens rea is used in determining guilt. hate crime legislation is for determining sentencing.

but its redundant as it cant have any deterrence effect.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

you can say that about most of the criminal justice system. The purpose is appropriate sentencing. it achieves that aim.

Anyone that commits a serious crime of any sort has generally committed a series of crimes leading up to it , and looking into these crimes will tend show unwarranted leniency etc. There is an "80/20" principal at play. You want it statistically to be safer going about your business then look into habitual criminals and longer sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This may be true of other crimes but, in fact, it's much less true of murder. A lot of murders happen in families where there may be seriously dysfunctional relationships over a long period, but no actual criminality until someone snaps and it all kicks off. Then there are murders where a row outside a pub escalates; drink or other intoxicants may be involved. Frequently the perpetrator has no criminal record.

Of course there are also murders associated with criminality - gang murders, for instance, and murders arising out, e.g., robberies gone wrong. The perpetrators of these often do have criminal records.

There's no evidence at all that what you term "unwarranted leniency" in previous sentencing increases the likelihood of further crimes being committed. There are various factors that have statistical links to criminality or increased criminality, but this isn't one. And the matter has been exhaustively investigated, because populist right-wing politicians frequently enter into office convinced that it is one, and looking for verification so that the they can tailor sentencing legislation accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I'd be in favour of hate crime legislation. If you can show that a particular crime was targeted at a protected group because of their protected characteristic, then that makes it worse than being chosen randomly. But, you have to prove that aspect in addition to the crime itself. It isn't just assumed because it happened to this person, as opposed to someone else.

What concerns me slightly is the sentencing end of it, and mandatory minimum sentences imposed by law, as opposed to tariffs set by a judge which I think are a good idea. It's a lot more meaningful for a judge to able to say you have to serve a minimum of 25 years, rather than a life sentence being imposed by law, which could end up being only 12 years.

Another aspect came up yesterday with an FG TD initiating a private members bill that will impose a two year mandatory sentence for assaulting a front line worker. The trouble with this is you will get people (eg victims and prosecutors) considering - does this assault actually warrant 2 years in prison? So, you'll get victims maybe deciding not to press charges, or maybe the DPP deciding the same thing. It's far better to have that question answered in an open court, independently by a judge, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

If sentences worked as a deterrent, the US would have stopped executing people years ago, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement