Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best value EV (or hybrid) 7 seat towcar

• 06-04-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

Was looking to upgrade my car to an ev/hybrid if feasible (currently have a 7 seat Skoda Kodiaq).

I need to have 7 seats and the ability to tow a caravan. I do about 28k km a year.

So far am struggling to find an option that meets my requirements in the ev or hybrid range.

Is my only realistic (and affordable) option to stick with an ICE vehicle?

I have had a look at most of the major brand offerings but suspect I may have missed something.

Any costed suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

In the short-term : Yes, sticking with ICE / PHEV is about your only real option (and I'm not sure PHEV counts in 7-seat terms)

Options for 7-seaters are, effectively:

• Tesla Model X 7-seater €120k if you can get one
    • Mercedes EQV about €100k
    • Citroen Spacetourer (van conversion, seems only 50kW available here) .. also Peugeot / Opel versions of same - about €50k
    • Volkswagen ID.Buzz (there's a promised 7-seat LWB version, but nothing official yet)
    • Older Tesla Model S with jump-seats for toddlers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There is a 7 seat option for the Tesla Model S alright, but the car is not rated for towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

Thanks for that info. Very helpful.

I’ll have a look at those van conversion options. At €50k the price gap isn’t as big as I thought (the ICE 7 seaters have gone way up over the past year). I must look up the towing range of a 50kW vehicle, I suspect it mightn’t be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

55 km range, 1.6l petrol, 260 bhp. tow 1500 kg.

Better looking than the transit van,

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

The Citroen has a towing limit of 1000kg. Not bad, but there wouldn’t be many caravans below that weight. You’d want at least 1,500kg for most outfits I’d say. My one is 1600kg and wouldn’t be one of the biggest.

Thanks for the reply.

The Kia Sorrento went from circa €40,000 to about €60,000 a few years back. Was a great shame as that and the Santa Fe were in a great position to compete with the VAG group offerings.

The diesel versions are 1 to 2 k more expensive, it would really be down to your trips, better economy if you do lots of 50 km trips, I found from my outlander it was no worse than a diesel on long trips, only that petrol was 10 cent more expensive, about 5 euro extra on a 320 km trip to Dublin.

Its 100 kg short, would that make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sorento PHEV best option I’d say. The ioniq5 can tow 1600kg which might do for a caravan but it’s not a seven seater.

Sorento the best value hybrid option it seems. Coming in somewhere around €57,000. No ev on the table for now.

The Kodiaq currently not available in petrol (despite what the website says) so best price is the diesel dsg at around €47,000 (after paint plus delivery).

Big price difference between the two. Looks like an ICE the best value for now. Will be interesting to see how well diesels hold their value going forward vs hybrids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Just so you are aware adding even a small caravan to an ev will cripple the range. A good sized ev like an enyaq 80kwh will do 150km with a caravan at best....see the video below.

https://youtu.be/mmQJUW-VyRY

There is no viable ev to tow a caravan practically yet and with 7 seats and luggage plus bike etc. Stick with what you have.

The 100kg would make a difference alright as the recommended way of loading for a trip is to put a lot of your cargo kgs between the axles of the towing vehicle for stability. In practice that means that if towing 1600kg at the towbar, there would be a decent load in the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Id also seriously worry about the logistics of parking at public charging with a caravan attached! (And assume it would be a total ballache to be constantly disconnecting reconnecting)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye. Regular towing would be one of the very few use cases where a PHEV is a better option than a BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Santa Fe phev also a 7 seater, but towing seems to be 900 kg, I could be wrong on that, its a good 5 k cheaper than the diesel version also.

Had a look there again at the Hyundai site. Santa Fe phev at around €58,000. a nice enough car but the price is way up there now.

Couldn’t find any info on towing limits. 900kg wouldn’t be enough for most applications.

I’d say the best value (affordable) option for a towing 7 seater PHEV is the Sorento but with a towing limit of 1500kg, it’s not a great option.

New outlander out later this year, 80 km range 20 kWh battery, 7 seats, don't know about towing, only problem is that Mitsubishi has left, no its staying, no they are in discussion with Renault, so who knows.

BEV or PHEV towing is probably down to Gross Train weight of 3500kg which is your max on an EB licence iirc ?

The extra 500kg of batteries has to be accounted for somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Mercedes EQB €70K

• Advertisement

That’s a very important point. The heavier weights of ev and phev vehicles means that a lot of the available 3,500kg is accounted for before any trailer/ caravan is added.

For e.g., the Kodiaq comes in at 1710kg. The max (as per B license) that can be towed is 1790kg (when added to the weight of the car to stay below 3,500kg).

A caravan at 1600kg plus luggage and bikes leaves very little to play with.

Adding even 300kg due to batteries means an EB licence would be needed.

Post edited by topofthewind on

Actually - just double-checked at https://www.ndls.ie/about/licence-categories-and-codes.html#licence-categories

B : Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 not exceeding 3,500 kg. having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the MAM1 of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg. or where the combined MAM1 of the towing vehicle and the trailer does not exceed 3,500 kg.

BE: Combination of drawing vehicles in category B and trailer where the MAM¹ of the trailer is not greater than 3,500 kg.

So you'd need a BE for a caravan of 1600kg in any case - but max train weight is part of the cert of conformity of the vehicle and has to be complied with either way. That said, most cars have these days have zero rated capacity for luggage if you actually fill every seat with a normal sized adult!

OP - you might want to look at the Merc EQB (not cheap .. Starts in the €65k range ..)

7 seater

Towing capacity (allegedly) of 1800kg according to https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-mercedes-eqb-review-price-specs-and-release-date/n23828

As crisco said "charging logistics"

LMFAO,

Charge and camp all day long.

Thanks for the info and for providing the link.

If you read the BE part, you will see that it allows the trailer to be up to 3,500kg. So the vehicle could be up to 3,500kg also (there is also provision for a vehicle to weigh over 4,000kg) . This would allow for a much heavier set up that suits builders, farmers with livestock etc.

My understanding of the B licence is that it allows braked towing to a limit of 3500kg total train weight. No need for a BE licence in my case.

As a caravan tower there are 4 weights that must be adhered to.

1. The permitted combined train weight of towing vehicle and caravan (3,500kg with a B licence).
    2. The towing capacity of the lead vehicle (as stated by manufacturer).
    3. The towbar down weight limit(also set by the car manufacturer).
    4. And the max. permissible cargo weight for the caravan (stated by the caravan/trailer manufacturer). This is the stuff you put into the caravan or trailer.

Looks a lovely car. A bit too expensive for my budget but would certainly be up to the job. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

No it’s combined weight of 3500 kg. So if car is 2000 kg and trailer 1500kg it’s fine. Any more and you need BE ( which I have).

• Advertisement

The only other limit with a B (not BE) is the trailer can have a max weight of 750kg - up to a gross train weight of 3500kg max (so 2000kg + 750kg trailer max, or 3000kg car + 500kg trailer max)

Advertisement