Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best value EV (or hybrid) 7 seat towcar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

Yes, that’s true if the trailer or caravan does not have its own braking system fitted. In that case, only 750kg can be towed.

However, if the trailer/caravan has it’s own braking system (as all larger ones normally would), then the limit is set at a combined weight of 3,500kg for lead vehicle and braked trailer.

So, on a B licence, a Kodiaq weighing 1710kg can pull a caravan weighing up to 1790kg provided that the caravan has it’s own braking system. The second figure would need to be reduced by the weight of any cargo etc. as the total cannot exceed 3,500kg.

Obviously, the other 3 weight limits (mentioned by me in an earlier post) must also be adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

There’s always been confusion about that! I’m still not sure what the law actually means tbh. Eliminate any doubts by just doing the BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭creedp

You, me and many others! I know a few farmers around me driving crew cabs and triple axle cattle trailers and driving on a B licence. A few in the building line pulling mini-diggers and the like also on B licences. I wondering how many people actually get pulled and weighed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

There’s been a good few checkpoints around here. Especially around marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

To the OP, I have similar requirements. I had an Outlander PHEV for a while pulling a 1600kg caravan. I only pulled a few times a year so the day to day use of the PHEV and the saving out-weighted the additional fuel I used when I was pulling the caravan. It was hard on petrol once you stuck it on

I wanted a 7 seater and I could find nothing so I ended up with an X5. She will pull the caravan like a dream but because of the weight I would need the additional license, which I have. In the end we got lucky and have a stationary site. The owner can also hold and store the caravan in winter so I expect to do this.

Hence why I will look at an electric but the 7 seater options are very limited, I started a thread here. In reality if I want something it will be a Hyndai Santa Fei by the looks of it. The Merc EQB is nice but 70k and a bit small.

If I was you, well you have the number 1 rated car for pulling a caravan for a number of years. The Kodiaq as you will know is a favourite for caravan owners. I would stick with what you have. To be honest what is she running at ltr/100km? the X5 I have is over 10ltr/100km so be thankful you are not running that

• Advertisement

I think this is wrong, when I checked here they said you can't put a tow bar on it. This is based on the diesel version Merc and I feel some people copied and pasted some stats.

Edit, found the below. When I asked MSL they said it couldn't pull so a risk paying 70k+ for a car and then getting told it won't pull

As it is electric, the weight pof the battery alone would drive you over the pulling limit so you would need to get the license

Towing

Mercedes has yet to confirm towing capacity for the EQB, although the smaller EQA can tow a braked trailer weighing up to 1,800kg in 300 4MATIC guise. We’d expect the larger EQA to be capable of hauling at least a similar amount.

Thanks for that. I think I will stick with the Kodiaq alright. I have the petrol one at the moment which is nice and refined for normal driving. Averaging 6.8l per 100km. With the caravan on, I’m getting 10l per 100km- same as yourself.

I may stick with an ICE but switch over to diesel as the 6.8/100km is too high. Reckon I’d get 5.3/100km with the 2.0l diesel dsg Kodiaq. Diesel becoming unpopular at the moment but still relevant where pulling power is needed and will be for a while yet by the looks of things.

Unless something is wrong with the car I wouldn't be swapping to reduce by 1ltr per 100km. Just my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

The numbers wouldn't be great alright if that's your sole motivation, 1l per 100km is 10l per 1000km. Even at e2 a litre that's still only a e20 saving per 1000km. You'd want to be doing a lot of miles to catch up any cost to change (even the effort of it, what value does your time have?!)

Good points. Diesel also around 10c/l more expensive than petrol for now. Possible diesel shortage being reported from a few sources as well.

Uncertain times.

Main reason for changing is that my current car is getting older now and want to keep driving a new or near new car. It’s due it’s first NCT and the warranty is up too. The value of it is very high at the moment. I don’t know if this will last. Makes some sense financially to make a move. With new prices rising fast, I need a high trade in value to buy new.

Many used cars appreciated in value last year. Can the current trend for used cars to rise in price continue?

Will the price of new cars go down?

I’m thinking that no is the answer to the above but I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Yes, looks to be great value alright. 1l petrol 3 cylinder engine with 110 bhp.

Lots of space in the rear too.

You may have missed the towing limit though, which is set at 1,200kg. Not in caravan territory for most unfortunately.

Advertisement